How many slams will Petra win in 2013? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How many slams will Petra win in 2013?

Zilch, nada, flame out in all four. 8 47.06%
Just one. 6 35.29%
Two. 3 17.65%
Three. 0 0%
Calendar Slam! 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 27th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #46
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How many slams will Petra win in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, weird as it sounds, Serena is still the unknown factor for me which makes it very hard to predict what will happen in 2013. If she plays at a level like she did in the second half of 2012 she's the favorite by a considerable margin at virtually every tournament she enters with the possible exception of the FO where she not only plays her opponents but also the boorish crowds that for whatever reason seem to hate her guts. But it's not a certainty that the 2013 version of Serena will be as strong as the 2012 one. She's had quite a few injuries over the years and periods when she was overweight and didn't seem to be as motivated as when she's at her best. Could be that after her amazing achievements of 2012 she's saturated by all the success and that as a result we'll see a less motivated, less hungry Serena next year. I don't EXPECT that, but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if that were the case either.
With Serena's type of game - HUGE serve, great returning, powerful groundies - she can be the woman to beat for another two/three years.

She wins so many cheap points off her serve and her return game is solid enough that she can win Wimbledon even as a 35-year-old (Navratilova won in 1990 and was still good enough to make the final in 1994, pushing 38 years of age).

I think Serena will continue to dominate.

Quote:
I don't EXPECT that, but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if that were the case either.
Nice way to hedge your bets.
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #47
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, weird as it sounds, Serena is still the unknown factor for me which makes it very hard to predict what will happen in 2013. If she plays at a level like she did in the second half of 2012 she's the favorite by a considerable margin at virtually every tournament she enters with the possible exception of the FO where she not only plays her opponents but also the boorish crowds that for whatever reason seem to hate her guts. But it's not a certainty that the 2013 version of Serena will be as strong as the 2012 one. She's had quite a few injuries over the years and periods when she was overweight and didn't seem to be as motivated as when she's at her best. Could be that after her amazing achievements of 2012 she's saturated by all the success and that as a result we'll see a less motivated, less hungry Serena next year. I don't EXPECT that, but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if that were the case either.
Maybe I'm missing something,but the French crowds haven't treated Serena that way since their pathetic disgrace in 2003(and you can throw plenty of shame on the gutless chair umpire and,most of all,on Henin).SW speaks French fairly darned well for an American,and they seem to appreciate that effort...and you missed the boat a little bit b/c it's not just RG but ANY slow,red clay surface where she becomes quite ordinary.If you'll recall,her best results last year came on the much-faster green clay and the freakish,almost-grasslike Madrid.In recent years,she's played VERY little on the slower red stuff,and I don't consider that any co-incidence.

You also failed to mention the mental factor: Unlike the slimy 2003 version,the older Henin didn't fear Serena AT ALL...and you could say the same for Clijsters and Dementieva as they got older,too.They all respected her,of course,but there's a big difference when you haven't lost the match before it even starts,and that's where most all of today's young players are with SW.I'm not asking for Petra to beat her 5 times in a row or anything...just that she be mentally strong enough that she loses only due to her foe's tough PERFORMANCE...and not because she's scared out there on court

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Temporary Destination 6: Another step towards what will , eventually, be the FINAL Destination
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #48
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Good Points Bruce.

Petra is probably the only woman on tour that Can Beat Serena (all thing being equal, of course Serena could lose to Azarenka Kerber or God Forbid--even Masha on a bad day LOL) if she was mentally prepared and was playing her A game.

Many times, Serena doesn't play great. However her opponents are usually ill prepared to take advantage, cause they don't go for the jugular. Usually it's the scrubs that actually go for the jugular against her (like Makarova at the Australian and Razzano at the French Open) when they have Serena on the ropes.

Now of course it appears, Serena tries/plays harder against the likes of Azarenka, Sharapova and Kvitova, then Radwanska, Kerber and Jie Zheng.

Nonetheless, Petra has the game (Serve, Return, Heavy Groundies, Net Game, Slice, overall shot making, etc.) to beat Serena. The real question is, will she ever be at a high enough mental, physical, game and strategic level to do so?
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #49
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

So long as Serena keeps serving the way she does, and the other girls keep serving as poorly as they do, the match will always be on her hand.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #50
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Nice way to hedge your bets.
My way of saying that I have no idea. Nevertheless, a few months are like a eternity in sports and things can change around very quickly. Bold predictions are made all the time at TF and those that do more often than not end up with their pants down at their ankles.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #51
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
So long as Serena keeps serving the way she does, and the other girls keep serving as poorly as they do, the match will always be on her hand.
That generalization is often true,but not always.She was in dominant GOAT mode in both 2009 and 2011 at the USO,her favorite Slam,and she was shut down,in straight sets,first by Clijsters and then,surprisingly,by Stosur,too.As we've seen in recent history,she's almost irrelevant at RG;she hasn't made a really strong run at the title in almost 10 years there.

I'm just curious as to whether or not Petra will strive hard to up her game and beat that great opponent....or will she take the chickenshit approach that I'm sure many others are taking--which = waiting for the threat to retire

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Temporary Destination 6: Another step towards what will , eventually, be the FINAL Destination
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #52
country flag steni

steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Good Points Bruce.

Petra is probably the only woman on tour that Can Beat Serena (all thing being equal, of course Serena could lose to Azarenka Kerber or God Forbid--even Masha on a bad day LOL) if she was mentally prepared and was playing her A game.

Many times, Serena doesn't play great. However her opponents are usually ill prepared to take advantage, cause they don't go for the jugular. Usually it's the scrubs that actually go for the jugular against her (like Makarova at the Australian and Razzano at the French Open) when they have Serena on the ropes.

Now of course it appears, Serena tries/plays harder against the likes of Azarenka, Sharapova and Kvitova, then Radwanska, Kerber and Jie Zheng.

Nonetheless, Petra has the game (Serve, Return, Heavy Groundies, Net Game, Slice, overall shot making, etc.) to beat Serena. The real question is, will she ever be at a high enough mental, physical, game and strategic level to do so?
I've been thinking about the same as well, especially on grass, Petra wasnt 100% last time they played, and thats why I think serena had the edge. I hope Petra prepares well this time!
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM   #53
country flag bruce goose

On a different track,has any player expressed dislike for Petra?I'm not suggesting that such a gal had any valid reason...perhaps it may have resulted from bitterness over a loss to Petra in an important match...but,so far,I haven't seen any chat about that here at TF

Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 05:28 AM   #54
country flag bruce goose

I think it would be fun if Mac47 went back and amended the poll page so that we could vote for '5' or '6'....We could definitely try to make the case that YEC was a Slam,especially because Petra has won it,but I'm not if we could convince too many folks that Fed Cup was the 6th Slam