Tennis Forum banner

How good is your serve?

7K views 45 replies 35 participants last post by  Lisickniacki 
#1 ·
Simple question. How good do you reckon your serve is?

For my level as just an amateur, my serve is probs my biggest weapon. I can get a decent amount of power (for my size) & placement, However it is a little inconsistent. When my first serve is firing, the people i play find it impossible to break me. When it's not firing, then my serve gets broken a lot more.

Being a S&V player though, my serve is important, so it's something i have always worked on

#2 ·
My serve is SOOOO slow but I usually place it well. However, it takes my serve like almost half a set to warm up so I usually lose the first set of a match...unless I am having a REALLY good day on my serve. Definitely the weakest and most inconsistent part of my game though.

#3 ·
My first serve used to be pretty good. I was getting good compliments every single week from my instructor. Once I stopped lessons because it was draining my bank account, my serve went crappy as expected. I can hit some nice flat down the T serves on the deuce side, but they aren't fast, and a lot of the times land too central in the service box.

#21 ·
My first serve used to be pretty good. I was getting good compliments every single week from my instructor. Once I stopped lessons because it was draining my bank account, my serve went crappy as expected. I can hit some nice flat down the T serves on the deuce side, but they aren't fast, and a lot of the times land too central in the service box.
Wow. That is really good! I can only do that from the advantage side

#10 ·
I serve like a pro.

On a normal day, like Martina Hingis but on a GOOD day like Sara Errani.

#12 ·
My 1st serve is good but 1st serve persantage is about 30-40%. 2nd serve is weak and I have a lot og double fault 7-12 per match:eek:

#22 ·
Can hit flat serves down the middle on the deuce court, sometimes on the AD as well but to a lesser extent. Second serve is reliable but ridiculously slow with no variation. Can only hit a serve out wide if I mis-hit the ball :help:

#23 ·
It's pretty awful. Very very flat, second serve tends to either lead to tons of double faults or get killed. It has days that it's a weapon but more often it's a liability. I once broke a rib serving (yes really) and I have back problems, so form has been beyond awful for years, trying to get it back to normal.

#25 ·
Haahahah my first and second serves are like average probably sub average according to my coach, I can place them well but Im still working on the power technique fastest serve I've hit is probably 145-150km/h (90-93 mph), and my second serve around 85-90km/h (50-55 mph). So I think its okay considering my age.

#26 ·
My first serve is so hard and potent it makes all women within a 100m radius pregnant. Flattens out nicely, or with a little bit of slice curls away from the righthander's BH or jams the body.

My second serve has improved significantly in the last couple of years. Used to just be lefty slice, canopener in the ad court, but I've developed a nice kicker to mix it up.

I serve and volley a lot and I rarely get broken. Shame my returning game is so pants.

#28 ·
My first serve floats around the 85-90 mph range :tape:. My second serve is literally just about the same, I'm a little short so it's hard for me to add power.

My placement is good though, I can hit every spot in the box from either side and that's the main reason why I survive my games lol. Horrible speed, excellent placement. I wish I had it easy like Serena and could just get aces, I average like 1 every 20 sets :haha:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.