Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Topic....Anything Goes vol4

240K views 5K replies 106 participants last post by  James 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Time for a new volume!

#7 ·
^ Can't get over your sig. Have you been getting a lot of Hell in GM for it? Even if I were a Vika fan I'd probably find this hilarious :lol:

#12 ·
guys, to start off the first off topic topic in the new off topic thread :oh:
i wanted to ask how, if any of you knew, i could start building muscle.

i'm 511/6ft and only way like 135lbs. I've researched that i must weight gain, but im scared of gaining weight - then not knowing how to transform it into muscle - and so then ill be stuck being large :lol: its a really tricky one. i only want to be slightly toned, nothing insanely muscly or anything. i run twice a week/yoga but these aren't really concentrating on my upper body/abs/arms. any tips on exercising or work out regimes? :cheer:

#14 · (Edited)
i wanted to ask how, if any of you knew, i could start building muscle.

i'm 511/6ft and only way like 135lbs. I've researched that i must weight gain, but im scared of gaining weight - then not knowing how to transform it into muscle - and so then ill be stuck being large :lol: its a really tricky one. i only want to be slightly toned, nothing insanely muscly or anything. i run twice a week/yoga but these aren't really concentrating on my upper body/abs/arms. any tips on exercising or work out regimes? :cheer:
Honestly I'd say 60% of it is diet. If you want to build muscle you have to start eating a balanced diet with a lot of protein. I recommend taking protein supplements (I've been using Muscle Milk since I was 16 and I swear by it; I eat protein bars too) or it'll just be way tougher than necessary. However, if protein shakes/bars scare you, just stick to a high-protein diet. Carbs are also hella important. They give you energy and give you mass, which makes building muscle easier. Vegetables are huge, too.

I do some form of exercise 6 days a week, but I only lift on 3 (sometimes 4) of those days. When I first started one day was shoulders and arms, one day was legs and back, and the third was chest and back. I also work abs/core on lifting days, and then I do some form of cardio on days I didn't lift (yoga, running, Karate). I follow a cycle of lifting for 3 weeks and then focusing on cardio for a week to recover.

It's great that you do yoga because it's great for your body and it helps prevent injury. The flexibility that you get from yoga will make every other workout you do easier and more effective. I also highly recommend Pilates (they do wonders for your abs). My biggest tips are:

1. Start off slow. Building muscle is a process, and you have to ease into it. When I first started working out it took almost 5 months before I could say I was truly in-shape. Also, knowing your limit is important.
2. Core work is extremely important. It's called "core" for a reason. The rest of your body depends on it. Planks are really underrated.
3. Since you wanna build lean muscle, I'd focus on using a weight in which you can get to 12-15 reps (make sure the last 3 are tough). Plyometric (jump training) exercises are great for building lean muscle in your legs. Consult google, there are a ton of exercises that use only your body weight.
4. Don't obsess over abs :lol: I wouldn't work them more than 3 times a week.
5. Try to give each muscle group an off-day so they can repair themselves.
6. There's a 1 hour window after your workout when your body will absorb whatever you put into it more rapidly. That's a golden opportunity for a protein/recovery drink. Add some fruit each time you take protein. Our bodies naturally have issues with digesting protein; fruit helps it.
7. Don't neglect your shoulders. You can't build muscle in your arms, chest, or back without strengthening your shoulders, too.

Hope this helped :lol: Any other questions just let me know :)

#13 ·
Well first thing is get a high protein diet. I'm wary of protein shakes so I'm never gonna tell anyone to eat/drink them. But lots of chicken etc. then hit the gym. I'm a lazy shit though, the real guy to ask is Griffin. :oh:

I meant to ask you Chris what blogs/websites should I be looking at to keep up with the latest fashions while on a paupers budget.

#16 ·
amazing info Griffin :hug:
thanks I'll take down your notes and hopefully update with you in a few weeks regarding my progress!

I meant to ask you Chris what blogs/websites should I be looking at to keep up with the latest fashions while on a paupers budget.
:lol: what do you mean? like to buy fashion/keep updated with the latest trends? i never really follow a trend website tbh, i just shop in places i love and wear my style of clothing. but in terms of 'fashion' updates i visit thefashionspot A LOT - plus you should check out their forum section, it's really informative. in terms of shopping i visit a website called shop style where you can search for a particular item - 'checked shirt' and define it by colour/price/size and the results show all the checked shirts available on the highstreet, if that helps :)

#23 ·
It's the Lithuanian flag. That's where my dad's family's from. I actually lived there till I was 3.

Yeah, like I'm not really one to just follow the latest trends by the book. If I think it looks ugly it's not going on me whether everyone else wears it or not. But it's mainly just to keep ahead of the latest trends so that I can be known as a fashionista. :inlove:

I would love to work out, first stop is quitting smoking though. I'm really gonna go for it this time. :armed:
Chrissie-fan have you ever tried to stop? Wondering if you have any tips. I've heard tha if you can last the first few days it gets far easier.
If you figure out how to do it let me know :lol:

#37 ·
Also I've been watching some 2011 highlights, and damn, Maria really did play shit that whole year :lol:

Particularly Wimbledon, how she made the F I'll never know. So although AO was a bad loss, I still see what they've done with her game, and it's made me feel 10000000x better.

#61 ·
Also I've been watching some 2011 highlights, and damn, Maria really did play shit that whole year :lol:

Particularly Wimbledon, how she made the F I'll never know.
So although AO was a bad loss, I still see what they've done with her game, and it's made me feel 10000000x better.
Right?! :lol:

There were some good patches (most of her clay matches, her early rounds in Cincy) but other than that she really wasn't great. She was painfully average at Wimbledon in particular. Looking back I can't believe I was so sure she'd win the final :lol:

And I agree about the AO loss as well. The score is kind of embarrassing, but she did try and fight her way back into it, but she just couldn't get anything going. It happens. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.