Tennis Forum banner

US Open 2014

19K views 301 replies 27 participants last post by  Territory 
#1 ·
A thread for all our US Open series needs, culminating with the big one in a few weeks time :)

This week marks the official start of the US Open series. A few girls in action, with Sam playing in Stanford and Olivia qualifying in Washington.

Sam opens up against young Japanese qualifier Naomi Osaka, whilst Liv takes on Baku finalist Bojana Jovanovski. Good luck!

Oh, Aussie Ajla also playing Stanford. Silly me. She takes on Petkovic.

#2 ·
So at the USO we'll have:
MD - Stosur, Dellacqua, Tomljanovic & A WC (pretty sure Rogowska has it in the bag)
QD - Barty, Gajdosova and 2 Rodionovas

I wonder whats the situation with Gavrilova, if shes doing the same as Ajla she could also represent us here but would have to have a PR.

#14 ·
Olivia or Jarka for toughing it out on the challenger circuit past few months and winning 50k titles....not Barty please, if she also won a 50k recently and won a lot of matches doing it the hard way like Jarka and Liv fine, but not playing and expecting a hand out again is not acceptable....she needs to join these girls on the challengers and get her ranking up which is possible with the talent she has if she had the work ethic of the other two

#15 ·
Would not surprise me in the SLIGHTEST if Todd just throws Barty another one, he is completely delusional and will justify it by "she made the 2R last year beating Spanish star Cabeza Candela :oh:" and "she is a higher level than Olivia & Jarka" and other nonsense that he's shitted on with in the past. God he's a tit.

Anyway just looking at the USO entry list.... Li Na has just pulled out - making Olivia now the third alternate to MD, one of those ahead of her is Gallovits-Hall who is using PR and has not played since Australian Open 2013 - has not entered anything before USO and last I heard was not even training, just running some clinic for kids or something - so probable that she may not play too. Surely two people will pull out :scared: I would prefer this scenario. I think Liv would play more freely without WC next to her name.

If Olivia makes DE and Ash gets it over Jarmila without playing a single lead up event..... god help twitter.

#20 ·
Whoever is ranked higher when the decision is made, that's probably what it will boil down to I'm guessing.

Not fussed who gets it, I think they're both worthy contenders who will make full use of it.

Hopefully there's no bickering in here when the decision is made...

#22 ·
So good to see a WC up in the air because multiple players have put in good results for a change. Happy for it to go either way but I think Jarka will have to win her final tomorrow to stay in the running.

I'd give it to Liv just because her results this week show that she is in the right form to be competitive against top 100/50 players while Jarka is having to fight hard against players ranked 100 to 200 so her current form might be better suited to qualies.

#25 ·
Olivia is an outside chance to sneak in for automatic entry. Maybe they'll talk to her about staying in qualies in the hope she'll sneak in to main draw. If she doesnt, she'll be a good chance to qualify anyway and will be able to defend some of her points from last year. :shrug:

But yeah, both are very deserving. Surely it's safe to say Ash is out of contention.

#28 ·
Also, I said this in the overseas challenger thread, so I may as well put it here where it belongs.

Liv needs 4 players to withdraw from the MD, and I can't see that happening. Players get a lot of money for 1st round losses, that they'd have to be seriously injured or ill not to take part. A few players with questionable fitness will surely just turn up for the paycheck. Also Gallovits-Hall is using her SR, and I'm positive she'd play, as she'd be silly to pass up the $$$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.