Tennis Forum banner

2012 NCAA Individual (Singles + Doubles) Tournament

27K views 382 replies 25 participants last post by  fantic 
#1 · (Edited)
#326 ·
tennis channel was showing RG? I hope it was Karolina Pliskova vs Bartoli because I was concentrating on that match :lol: Just glimpsed the final from time to time :lol:
Anyway congrats Gibbsy :yeah: (again that all-white attire :lol: ) and Mal :hug: time to go pro you two :lol:

So, Gibbs stands right beside Juricova and Barte as the one who won both
championships, singles and doubles.

Now hope that UGA wins :lol:

#334 ·
indoor has no cam, right?

I wonder what was the celebration like then;

"Tomorrow's all-Stanford NCAA singles final will be the first since 2001, when Cardinal teammates Laura Granville and Lauren Kalvaria square off in Stone Mountain, Ga. Granville defeated Kalvaria 6-3, 7-6 (1)."

Coach Forood was also HC at that time.

#346 ·
After winning (Nicole) and losing (Mal) the NCAA Singles Final, going indoors to play against UGA and their crowd "has nothing to do with tennis, it's all about heart." ;)

That's back to back doubles championship for Mal and same year singles and doubles championship for Nicole. :bigclap:

They'll be on cloud 9 and headed back to the Farm and will finish the year ranked #1 in doubles and probably finish #1 and #2 in singles. What a way to close out the year...fear the Tree :wavey: :worship:

#348 ·
STAN website as usual providing a wealth of infos;

"Stanford's collegiate singles champions include: Jane Allen (1964- AIAW), Kathy Jordan (1979- AIAW), Alycia Moulton (1982- NCAA), Linda Gates (1985- NCAA), Patty Fendick-McCain (1986, 1987- NCAA), Sandra Birch (1989, 1991- NCAA), Debbie Graham (1990- NCAA), Lilia Osterloh (1997- NCAA), Laura Granville (2000, 2001- NCAA), Amber Liu (2003, 2004- NCAA) ... Gibbs will try to become only the third Stanford player to claim collegiate singles and doubles championships during the same season, with Kathy Jordan capturing AIAW titles in 1979 and Linda Gates pulling off the NCAA double in 1985 ... Gibbs finished the year 41-5 overall, 21-2 in duals, 20-3 in tournament matches and 29-8 against nationally-ranked opponents ... Gibbs was a team-best 9-3 this year in three-set matches ... Gibbs is now 87-11 overall during her first two years on The Farm ... The only players to defeat Nicole Gibbs this year were: Duke's Beatrice Capra, Miami's Anna Bartenstein, Florida's Joanna Mather, Florida's Allie Will and UCLA's Robin Anderson ... Monday marked the second time this year in which Burdette and Gibbs had squared off for a singles championship. Gibbs outlasted Burdette 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (3) to win the singles title of the ITA Northwest Regional Championships back in October ... Burdette finished the year 41-7 overall, 19-1 in duals, 22-6 in tournament matches and 23-7 against nationally-ranked opponents ... Burdette enjoyed similar hot stretches at times this year. She notched a career-best 21-match winning streak from Jan. 15-April 28, and won 11 straight matches without dropping a set from March 30-April 28 ... Burdette won her first career singles title in October, claiming the consolation crown at the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships ... Burdette and Gibbs are attempting to bring home Stanford's 15th overall collegiate doubles title in school history, and eighth since the since the NCAA adopted its current format in 1982."

What does those 5 players have in common that they could beat Gibbs?

And Gibbsy was busy returning all those Mal's razor-shots throughout the match, running all over the court. :lol: Wonder how she'll perform at USO :lol:

#351 ·
"Burdette becomes the seventh player in school history to win at least two collegiate doubles crowns but only the third player to accomplish the feat in NCAA competition (joining Barte and Linda Gates).

Monday's championship matches represented a historic day for the Stanford women's tennis program. It was the first time in NCAA men's or women's tennis history that teammates squared off in the singles final before later pairing up in the doubles title match.

Burdette and Gibbs (No. 2 national rank, No. 2 NCAA seed) were simply dominant during the postseason. The All-American duo did not drop a set and surrendered four games or more in a set to their opponents only twice."

"Burdette and Gibbs bring home Stanford's 15th overall collegiate doubles title in school history, and eighth since the since the NCAA adopted its current format in 1982.

Also capturing NCAA doubles crowns for Stanford were: Linda Gates/Elise Burgin in 1984, Linda Gates/Leigh Anne Eldredge in 1985, Meredith McGrath/Teri Whitlinger in 1990, Lauren Kalvaria/Gabriela Lastra in 2002, Alice Barnes/Erin Burdette in 2005, Barte/Lindsay Burdette in 2010 and Barte/Mallory Burdette in 2011.

Winning doubles titles prior to 1982 were: Linda Yeomans/Carol Hanks (1962), Jane Albert/Julie Anthony (1967), Susie Hagey/Diane Morrison (1976), Susie Hagey/Diane Morrison (1977), Barbara Jordan/Kathy Jordan (1978), Kathy Jordan/Alycia Moulton (1979) and Caryn Copeland/Alycia Moulton (1981)."

"The only doubles teams to defeat Burdette and Gibbs this year were the following: Notre Dame's Kristy Frilling/Shannon Mathews, USC's Valeria Pulido/Zoe Scandalis, UCLA's Robin Anderson/Skylar Morton and USC's Kaitlyn Christian/Sabrina Santamaria."

They didn't add that KK/Sabs beat them twice :devil:

#353 ·
No. 2 Mallory Burdette and Nicole Gibbs
First Round: d. No. 50 Hilary Bartlett/Lindsay Graff (Princeton) 6-1, 6-1
Round of 16: d. No. 26 Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath (Rice) 6-2, 6-2
Quarterfinals: d. No. 32 Lorraine Guillermo/Khunpak Issara (Pepperdine) 6-1, 6-3
Semifinals: d. No. 10 Natalie Pluskota/Kata Szekely (Tennessee) 7-6 (1), 6-1
Championship: d. No. 27 Nadja Gilchrist/Chelsey Gullickson (Georgia) 6-2, 6-4

No. 3 Nicole Gibbs
First Round: d. No. 22 Emily Fraser (Virginia) 6-0, 6-2
Second Round: d. No. 21 Joanna Mather (Florida) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
Round of 16: d. No. 35 Natalie Pluskota (Tennessee) 7-6 (1), 7-6 (6)
Quarterfinals: d. No. 8 Jana Juricova (California) 6-2, 7-5
Semifinals: d. No. 1 Allie Will (Florida) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
Championship: d. No. 5 Mallory Burdette (Stanford) 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3

No. 5 Mallory Burdette
First Round: d. No. 120 Maria Craciun (South Carolina State) 6-1, 6-1
Second Round: d. No. 17 Denise Dy (Washington) 6-1, 6-2
Round of 16: d. No. 14 Zoe Scandalis (USC) 6-0, 6-3
Quarterfinals: d. No. 2 Beatrice Capra (Duke) 6-3, 6-2
Semifinals: d. No. 13 Zsofi Susanyi (California) 6-2, 6-2
Championship: lost to No. 3 Nicole Gibbs (Stanford) 2-6, 7-6 (5)
, 6-3

domination. seemed to go that way until 4-2 in the 3rd, but then Pliskova vs Bartoli match was finished so I began to concentrate on this match :lol:

#354 ·
it's quite frustrating, the USC team having STAN's number (last season KK/Sanchez beat 8-5 or something Barte/Burdette at USC) but losing to other lesser teams at the biggest stage :eek: (CU, MICH)

anyway, even though I'm a fan of Gibbsy I was mucho impressed with Mal today. Not only she was moving Gibbs around at will with her usual power play, she was determined to show her variety, showing excellent hands..also came up to the net very effectively, finishing with volleys. And those acute angled serve return winners were :drool: Pity she began spewing errors from the 4-2.

#364 ·
I think your USC doubles team is good but they might be over achievers! I watched them play Michigan and when Bektas was serving, they were so far in back of the baseline I couldn't even see them on the screen! There were a lot of quick points in that match. The 1st set was very competitive but the 2nd and 3rd sets weren't really that close!

#375 · (Edited)
What about also getting blown off the court against Anderson/Morton in the team Semi? :)
7-Oct L Oyen/Will Florida 8/5
23-Oct L Anderson/Morton uCLA 8/4
15-Jan L #23 Dolehide/Montez UCLA 8/4
10-Feb L Featherston/McHale UNC 8/5
11-Feb L Pluskota/Williams Tennessee 9/7
12-Feb L #12 Anderson/Morton UCLA 8/6
25-Feb L Goransson/Schutting California 9/7
1-Mar L Anderson/Morton UCLA 8/5
30-Mar L Hager/Skowronski Oregon 8/7
6-Apr L #50 Marks/Smyth Arizona 9/8
14-Apr L #43 Juricova/Susanyi California 8/4
21-May L #6 Anderson/Morton UCLA 8/3
24-May L #11 Bektas/Bolender Michigan 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
W/L: 34-13
you two :lol: I admit A/M are a kinda nemesis :sobbing: But they also won against them at Ojai ;) (yeah they were behind 2-7 then won 9-7 :lol: )
That's not their sole win either, they beat them at UNLV invite semi too.
And also

#4 USC 6, #1 UCLA 1
April 20, 2012 -- Los Angeles Tennis Center
DOUBLES
(1) #7 Christian/Santamaria (USC) def. #11 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) -- 8-6

So, are A/M REALLY KK/Sabs' nemesis? :lol: They beat them 3 times last season :lol: (so it's 3-3 against them? :scratch: )

Goransson/Schutting they routed them at Ojai too :)

And lets not forget that KK/Sanchez(2010-11 season, KK's debut season) defeated both STAN(NCAA Champ) and CAL team at Marks stadium(USC home) and despite losing to the same CAL(Juricova/Andersson, 2009 NCAA champ) team at the PAC 12 Final, were leading them at NCAA 2nd rd later. They were also NCAA semifinalist :)

Anyway, KK was G16 National champ with Kay and G18 finalist, beating the #1 seed Capra/Dolehide along the way, And KK/Sabs were a famed combo, winning practically every local So. Cal tourneys, so their success was preordained, saying their achievement is a OVER achievement is preposterous :p

I wonder how many top teams did MICH beat last season.

#376 · (Edited)
you two :lol: I admit A/M are a kinda nemesis :sobbing: But they also won against them at Ojai ;) (yeah they were behind 2-7 then won 9-7 :lol: )
That's not their sole win either, they beat them at UNLV invite semi too.
And also

#4 USC 6, #1 UCLA 1
April 20, 2012 -- Los Angeles Tennis Center
DOUBLES
(1) #7 Christian/Santamaria (USC) def. #11 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) -- 8-6

So, are A/M REALLY KK/Sabs' nemesis? :lol: They beat them 3 times last season :lol: (so it's 3-3 against them? :scratch: )

Goransson/Schutting they routed them at Ojai too :)

And lets not forget that KK/Sanchez(2010-11 season, KK's debut season) defeated both STAN(NCAA Champ) and CAL team at Marks stadium(USC home) and despite losing to the same CAL(Juricova/Andersson, 2009 NCAA champ) team at the PAC 12 Final, were leading them at NCAA 2nd rd later. They were also NCAA semifinalist :)

Anyway, KK was G16 National champ with Kay and G18 finalist, beating the #1 seed Capra/Dolehide along the way, And KK/Sabs were a famed combo, winning practically every local So. Cal tourneys, so their success was preordained, saying their achievement is a OVER achievement is preposterous :p

I wonder how many top teams did MICH beat last season.
I thought Anderson paired with Chanelle at Ojai, right?

That's what I remember because I was surprised they were up that big on KK/Sabs but then I also wasn't surprised they lost that big lead. Haha.

#355 ·
I thought it was a very competitive match and the best I've seen for a final or for a collegiate match for that matter. :worship:

It's refreshing to see two players going for winners, being very aggressive, which I think they need to do more to get to the next level. Mal was just so dominating at the net and I didn't expect her to come up with those angles. Gibbsy seem to throw every shot to keep Mal off balance and then when Mal was caught flat footed Gibbsy would just swing away for those baselines at will. :drool:

#356 ·
Mal needs to get in better shape. Plain and simple. If you can get her to a third set, you got to like your chances that she'll be tired and start spewing errors. Luckily for her, she usually steamrolls in two :lol:

Edit: I will say I do think she's lost a few pounds since last year, but still...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.