Tennis Forum banner

2012 London Olympics

18K views 267 replies 19 participants last post by  bruce goose 
#1 ·
Here's a thread to discuss this year's Olympics. Stuff about Caro should still be in the appropriate thread for her though.

#2 ·
My favorite event is probably swimming. I also like track, diving, and fencing.

Nbc will be airing some stuff on a tape delayed basis so they can have marquee events in primetime which is annoying.

#41 ·
Some great fencing today. The 49ers will be good watching If they don't mess up the camera work. Handball is defo worth a look, as should be the Adlington friis Duel.

Today road race was good and sweet with revenge , so I'm looking forward to the second one and the track events.

Other than that, Badminton will be fearce, the rowing looks set for some good racing, white water events are always fun, and the team dressage is always a rewarding watch if you can dive quickly and deeply into the complexity of the event.

I'll probibly skip most of the athletics apart from the 800, 1500, pentathlon, decathlon, and maybe the pole vault.

#6 ·
It's not the world cup but surely there's some glory in winning an Olympic medal?

I don't care that much about Olympic tennis. I might watch the semis or finals depending upon the matchups and what other events are on.

#7 ·
I'll try to see as much of the tennis as possible. Other than that I like track & field athletics and the gymnastics. But if I have the time I'll watch some of the other stuff as well. I like boxing, but not amateur boxing. The football shouldn't be part of the Olympics under it's current formula in my opinion. Either do ir properly with all the best players or don't do it at all. The womens football could be more interesting in fact, because for them it really is a big event.

#8 ·
I'll try to see as much of the tennis as possible. Other than that I like track & field athletics and the gymnastics. But if I have the time I'll watch some of the other stuff as well. I like boxing, but not amateur boxing. The football shouldn't be part of the Olympics under it's current formula in my opinion. Either do ir properly with all the best players or don't do it at all. The womens football could be more interesting in fact, because for them it really is a big event.
Forgive me, but I have to ask ... do you watch that? ..

As for football, I'm with Jimmie. Waste of a watch. U23 + 3 oldies. *yawns*. I will watch tennis (for as long Caroline is in) and perhaps some women's handball. I have a thing for Trine Troelsen :lick:

#17 ·
And now Sharapova. Vika just tweeted, she isn't there either. I think the only top players there are the ones who bear the flags, all others seem to have skipped it.

Are there any other flag bearers aside from Radwanska and Sharapova? I don't think so.

Edit: I think I just saw Kerber, or another girl with a similar arrogant facial expression :lol:

Sabine skipped the ceremony for her dubs match with her tomorrow.

#25 ·
In person she isn't like that at all. She is engaging, humorous, fascinating and appears genuinely interested and receptive. :)

I think it might be part official obligation, part subject matter, and part duty.

#26 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVZaTPcLK_A
Forgive me for re-posting this one that originally appeared in Caro's Music Videos Thread,but I just didn't see how we could have an Olympics thread without the official London Games theme song as performed by British icon Enoch Simpson.His stirring rendition of 'England!England!England!' doesn't begin until about the 8:30 mark or so;however,such classics are well worth the wait,wouldn't you all agree?You'll notice how the audience is transfixed with admiration at this musical masterpiece

#30 ·
Other than tennis the only thing I am interested in is the closing ceremony:
I'm surprised you're not interested in the women's beach volleyball. :p

What did you think of the opening ceremony?

#42 · (Edited)
Sold out to the public :

and it's not just snippets of larger pictures with a large crowd. There were other pictures in the papers showing large areas empty.

Obviously we cannot judge from Caroline's match yesterday, as everyone knows, people will pay good money NOT to watch Caroline, but the rest of the venues aren't with her involved.

Looks like the ticket scandal at the London Olympics will rival that of World Cup 2010 ...

Just brilliant. They never learn ... and yes, I know it's the same at every large sporting event with thousand and thousand of tickets given to pundits, commentators and naturally all the VIP and sponsor tickets .. still, it's sad.

#43 · (Edited)
#46 ·
What was the temperature outside?

#47 ·
The much hyped Phelps-Lochte duel sure was a dud. :(

#50 ·
Woah. Goerges holds for 7-5 1st set at Ad Goerges from 40-0 to 40-40. The match is 43 minutes long.

Bad missed overhead by Goerges at 40-30 and a bad one by Aga at 40-40.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.