Tennis Forum banner

OLYMPIC CHAMPION Monica Puig

337K views 4K replies 108 participants last post by  rucolo 
#1 · (Edited)
Currently no.2 in junior ranking :yeah:
Birth Date: 27/09/1993
This year she won a GA title and was a RU at GA/G1/G1 tournaments.
She played her 1st WTA match in Ponte Vedra qualies last week and beat Poutchek 2:6 6:4 6:2 (from 2:6 1:4) and then lost to Mattek in a tough 3-setter. Before that she only played 2 ITFs (10k qualies in 2008 and 75k MD as a WC in 2009) and didn't win a match there.
She's now on entry lists for ITFs in Spain, hopefully she'll get a WTA ranking and will start to climb really fast:)
Good luck Monica! :yeah:

#429 ·
Re: Puerto Rican hope Monica Puig

After watching that match, I'm Emotionally and Mentally exhausted. Pica had the match in her racquet and it slip away.

I hope once the initially pain of the loss fades, that she is heartened by the big picture. She's announced herself as a talent and as a presence to be reckoned.

#434 ·

huge effort , too bad it didn't pay off this time but a great week for Pica :yeah:
best of luck at AO ! :cheer:

#436 · (Edited)

Is anyone able to upload any of Monica's matches this week?
Well ladies and gents, let me know your opinion. Here's the video of the last games (3rd set). I liked 90% of what I saw, but there are e or two things that she still needs to improve....probably more experience is all she needs.

one thing I observed and really liked was how much this girl wants to win...I've observed a couple of young guns and a minority behaves like that....reminds me of Ryan Harrison and Caroline Woz a couole of years before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7d6fAsR1Dg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#443 ·

well she sure does seem to have a pretty strong personnality ;)
I like how she said graduating was important for her..and maybe that's why she 'only' blossomed at the very end of last year whereas I could see a lot of potential from Monica for quite some time now ;)
also, she seems very confident , competitive , setting high goals..

Really wish her the best for 2013 :bounce:

Good luck at AO , Pica, show them all a new star has come to WTA Tour ! :rocker:

#445 ·

QR1 versus Qiang Wang
QR2 versus Hon/Solovieva
QR3 versus Savinykh/Larriere/Burnett/An.Rodionova

...could get interesting on that final Q round.

She plays her QR1 today around around 9p or 10p EST based on how long the other AM matches last.

#449 ·

good news :cool:

but right now things don't look too good in AO qualies R1 vs Qiang Wang: Monica is down 3-4* in the 3rd set :unsure:

#454 ·

I don't mind the loss, it keeps her grounded and working on fundamentals rather than buying into the hype (like GM tried) and forgetting about the basics that brought her to this point. Having that said, she can't lose in QR1 at French or USO or the Top 50 goal gets way harder.

Let the bandwagoners go away, and the true fans will stick around remain level headed and watch Monica rise steadily into stardom.

#picapower

#455 ·

my guess is she won't even have to qualify for the next Slams ;)
right now her ranking is high enough to enter directly :)

anyway her time will come :)
hopefully a good showing in Paris will follow this 'disappointment'

#picapower ;)

#456 ·

It's really a toss-up at this point, with her ranking in the 100's she was 2nd Seed in the Qualies. She lost 39 points with her QR1 loss, so she is only up 40 points compared to last year this time and she's got 116 or so point to defend before the French Open EL is finalized.

She's got the ability to do it tho, she had 5 1R (or QR1) losses in the Spring 2012, so that's 5 tournaments where she can come ahead points wise.

Fingers Crossed!

#PICAPOWER

#457 ·

I'm so sad with this result :sad:

I have watched a lot of tennis in my life, and I have watched all of them... from Steffi Graf to Serena Williams. I have been watching Monica since she was 14 years old. Its normal that people who just saw her for the first time last week, doubt now about your potential.

Trust me, she won't be an average top 20 player. Knowing her character, thats unacceptable for her. She wakes up everyday with the obsession of being the best in the world. She don't care about anything else, but tennis.

In 3-4 years, she will be the number 1 player in the world.

#459 ·

Monica :hug: But like most people have been saying... She's sooo young and has had so much success over the last 6 months that maybe this loss will be good for her in the long run. I'm sure she'll train extra hard over the next couple weeks to better prepare herself for her upcoming tourneys, starting with Paris :bounce:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.