Report on Miriam v Eleni D. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:47 PM   #1
tim4

tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of
Report on Miriam v Eleni D.

report for Board on Miriam's Miriam Oremans v Eleni Daniilidou - third round
(sorry I am so late posting this - I didn't leave till 9.20pm after seeing Boogie lose in the Mixed)

This was quite an entertaining match, as both players were playing well for most of the time; the most impressive aspect, I thought, was that both were able to get service returns in even off some quite good serves. Miriam's fastest serve of the day was 106mph (=171km/h).

Miriam served first. Though she was serving well, and playing reasonably well, early on, she lost the first game. At 1-3 down, she recovered from 0-40 to hold serve; up to this point, she was missing volleys, as so often seems to be the case, but thereafter she missed very few. Indeed she broke back to 3-3, but missed three break points in the next Daniilidou ervice game after that. Miriam had found her range very well by now. She got within two points of winning the set, but then it went to a tie-break, which could have gone either way. Unfortunately it was Eleni who managed to win that (7-5) with Miriam missing the side-line on the final point. She had played quite well, though, so far: in fact I think she had had the most 'chances'.

The second set went with serve early on. In Miriam's first service game she had 40-0 but then had to save a break point before winning the game. It was a struggle to hold her next service game too, with several deuces. Daniilidou was 0-40 down next but held for 3-2. Miriam played really well to break for 4-3, but then slackened off to lose her own serve immediately. Serving to stay in the match, no, she lost it to 30 on the first match-point, and the set score was 4-6.

"Great effort, Miriam, sorry it didn't quite work out" I said as she left, though she understandably took no visible notice of this. (Later on, Miriam won her first-round mixed doubles match, which had been transferred to Centre Court, no less!) But this was probably her last ever singles match on grass. I hope to be back tomorrow to see the women's doubles with Boogie.
tim4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:55 PM   #2
country flag ▀coene

▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future ▀coene has a brilliant future
Daniilidou is playing great lately, so it's not a bad loss I think but Miriam could have won because she's a great grasscourt player.

Have you seen the mixed doubles of Boogert and Kournikova?
Sorry for you that Boogert lost. I'm happy Anna won because she's one of my favourites. How did Anna look? Did she look confident? Did she play well? I saw a bit on TV but you were there, maybe you can know better.
▀coene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:00 AM   #3
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute
Thanx for the report Tim. In fact, I think Miriam did great, I mean, her father got a heart attack! This is a great result for her under these circumstances, and I hope she, and everyone, realises that!

"After so many years so much work and everything, this is the moment I always waiting for, no? And it's coming when you doesn't expect and everything ...
For me it was something I was waiting since long time, and finally I have a good trophy in my hands."
Zamboni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:45 PM   #4
tim4

tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of tim4 has much to be proud of
Yes, Miriam did play well against Daniilidou, but didn't quite achieve the required consistency to win.
In the mixed, Anna K played confidently and made a few good winners in the final set which I saw.
So now, we're left with Miriam in the mixed - good luck for next week!
tim4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote