How to improve your AWFUL serve ? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 10th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #31
country flag Ollie.

Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to improve your AWFUL serve ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelN View Post
Lucie

I like to believe I developed from a poor man's Wozniacki to a solid Lisicki (strokewise) but of course without the huge serve. Oh yeah and with a brain. I like to hit my shots flat and I'm good at the net and I can reach most shots as my movement is decent. I also have pretty decent anticipation so after playing someone for about set I already know their tricks My main problem is the power but I can move my opponent around the court a la Aga My technique is basically modelled on Agnieszka too
Oh yeah, and I don't have a backhand but a right handed and left handed forehand

Well a solid Lisicki is something great because she has wonderful groundstrokes. Well sounds like you have a good game and that anticipation is a good way to get into opponents' heads. I need to really work on my defensive tennis.

That is awesome! There was a tennis player in the early 2000s actually who played like that...Evgenia Kulikovskaya I think, you should check her out, her playing style was so cool!

Rybarikova _ Hradecka _ K.Bondarenko _ Kleybanova _ Flipkens _ Govortsova _ Krajicek _ Martic _ Cetkovska _ Rezai _ Peer _ Begu _ Dulgheru _ Arvidsson _ Larsson _ Goerges _ Mattek-Sands _ Scheepers _ Peng _ Minella _ Puchkova _ Voegele _ Laine
Ollie. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 10th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #32
country flag MichaelN

MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *O.R* View Post

Well a solid Lisicki is something great because she has wonderful groundstrokes. Well sounds like you have a good game and that anticipation is a good way to get into opponents' heads. I need to really work on my defensive tennis.

That is awesome! There was a tennis player in the early 2000s actually who played like that...Evgenia Kulikovskaya I think, you should check her out, her playing style was so cool!
Oh yeah, so she did I didn't know there was someone like that

Tip for defense: Whenever you're being attacked and you're being pushed side to side, move back to the middle immediately before your opponent has a chance to hit the ball. Also if you're behind the baseline, you should creep in a bit, you'd be surprised how tight some players get and hit errors

Caroline Wozniacki - because fuck the haters

Tippin' Easy: #1! 2014 - Sydney, Paris, Miami, Montréal, Beijing

Married to Big_Banana but Sabine Lisicki is my secret crush...
Special shout to Mr Halep.
MichaelN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #33
country flag Ollie.

Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh yeah, so she did I didn't know there was someone like that

Tip for defense: Whenever you're being attacked and you're being pushed side to side, move back to the middle immediately before your opponent has a chance to hit the ball. Also if you're behind the baseline, you should creep in a bit, you'd be surprised how tight some players get and hit errors
Yup.

Ok, thank you, that definitely sounds like perfect advice. I will utilise that and see how it goes tomorrow.

Rybarikova _ Hradecka _ K.Bondarenko _ Kleybanova _ Flipkens _ Govortsova _ Krajicek _ Martic _ Cetkovska _ Rezai _ Peer _ Begu _ Dulgheru _ Arvidsson _ Larsson _ Goerges _ Mattek-Sands _ Scheepers _ Peng _ Minella _ Puchkova _ Voegele _ Laine
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #34
country flag Serena_Williams_

Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of

Anyone can recommend a good video on how to improove my second serve? My first serve isn't that great either but at least ican roll that one in when iwant and i usually get 4-5 aces per match.I use Serena's serve technique because not only she is my fave but it feels the most natural to me.I really need help with my second serve as everytime i miss my first serve i panick and that usually brings me to a DF or just puffballing the second serve in the box...Any type of help is gladly welcomed...
“I'm not used to crying. . . . It's a little difficult. All my life I've had to fight. It's just another fight I'm going to have to learn how to win, that's all. I'm just going to have to keep smiling.”-Serena Williams
Serena_Williams_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #35
country flag Skinz
Veni, vidi, vici.

Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute Skinz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *O.R* View Post
Mine isn't amazing at all, but watch a player who has a great service action maybe...make sure you have a good throwing action and bend your knees when you go for your serve....there are a few good videos on YouTube. It's the hardest shot to master I think.
cheers! i'll have a look on youtube
Skinz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #36
country flag MichaelN

MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute

How tall is everyone? For me, the serve is all about the reach. - I'm 1.88M (serving advantage) and for me the difference between a serve that will hit the net and a serve that will go over the net is reaching my hand over from my shoulder to the highest I can reach and really giving that ball a good thwack. For others, is the problem the serve going out or hitting the net?

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 01:23 PM   #37

Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of Serena_Williams_ has much to be proud of

I am 185 cm and i gotta say it's the serve going out.If i don't hit it well it lands on the service line.Sure i miss some in the net too but mostly going out is the problem.
“I'm not used to crying. . . . It's a little difficult. All my life I've had to fight. It's just another fight I'm going to have to learn how to win, that's all. I'm just going to have to keep smiling.”-Serena Williams
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #38
country flag MichaelN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena_Williams_ View Post
I am 185 cm and i gotta say it's the serve going out.If i don't hit it well it lands on the service line.Sure i miss some in the net too but mostly going out is the problem.
I see. When my serve was still useless, I practiced a bit with the reach. For a flat serve, you've got to reach as high as you can and then find your range bringing your arm down (at what point you let the ball go from your racket) . Obviously the more you bring it down, the more powerful it will be, but then it might hit the net. I experimented with it and found a perfect place to hit and I instinctively hit it at that point now. Originally, I would just toss the ball, hit it and let go of it early and high (most balls go in, but serve is slow) but gradually I brought it down to a point that it just goes over the net but doesn't hit it (First serve now is around 72%). Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it did in my head

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #39

Oh it makes perfect sense.I do feel that when i hit the service line i don't hit the ball at it's highest point(the point when it stopos going upwards and is ,,levitating") and i do not extend my arm upwards and that my arm isn't totally straight at the hitting ponit of the racquet and the ball.Any tips on the second serve and the slice serves?
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #40
country flag MichaelN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena_Williams_ View Post
Oh it makes perfect sense.I do feel that when i hit the service line i don't hit the ball at it's highest point(the point when it stopos going upwards and is ,,levitating") and i do not extend my arm upwards and that my arm isn't totally straight at the hitting ponit of the racquet and the ball.Any tips on the second serve and the slice serves?
On the second serve, since my serve sometimes goes out if I try a T serve, I go for a wide serve since it's a longer distance to cover for the ball and there's less chance for it to go long (something a la Radwańska on match point in the Montréal Final). Confidence is key here, I never go for a first serve-like second serve so I need to be confident otherwise I will just shank the serve into the net. It really works for me, I don't remember the last time I've DF'd hitting the net, if anything, it's always an out.

As for the slice serve, I really can't help you because I can't slice/topspin to save my life. The only topspin I ever use is for passing shots when my opponent is at the net and the slice I only use (not serve) is when I'm having a good day or winning by a large margin. Neither are really go to shots. Also, I don't think I've ever served a slice serve because I genuinely cannot.

Old Aug 15th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #41
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGOAT View Post
3. Make sure you have a good grip. Continental is the way to go but takes time to adjust to. Still, there is a clear difference between any continental grip and one where that allows you to get a very natural wrist snap. Just mess around with your racquet a bit to find what feels right. And make sure it doesn't strain your wrist, because that is an easy problem to have as well.

In terms of mechanics it's hard to say, but try to find what feels natural for you.
This is GREAT advice. For soo long I couldn't hit a nice first serve. I had been using a continental grip and all my serves landed in the middle of the box, soft and spinny. Think Errani's second serve. Then one day, I decided to move my grip to between continental and eastern and from the very first serve it felt absolutely right. It is SO much more natural for me. Now I use the continental if I ever need any more spin, the added confidence let me really rip into the ball and get a decent kick serve. Play around *a little* for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGOAT View Post
Does anyone have advice on second serves though??? My first serve is very good and my second is decent when it works, but I go through patches where I just get the yips and can't get a second serve in the court. Even when it works, it's sort of just a softer version of my first serve that I try to get deep in the box rather than a shot I can actually depend on .[
Maybe try what I did? Instead of changing grip by going down half a bezel, go up half a bezel?

Wozniacki. Stosur. Jankovic. Bouchard. Halep.
Venus. Stephens. Cornet. Hampton. Bencic.
Seles. Henin. Davenport. Hingis. Clijsters.
MMJSL is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #42
country flag Lord Choc Ice
Hot Messes Need Love

Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute Lord Choc Ice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How tall is everyone? For me, the serve is all about the reach. - I'm 1.88M (serving advantage) and for me the difference between a serve that will hit the net and a serve that will go over the net is reaching my hand over from my shoulder to the highest I can reach and really giving that ball a good thwack. For others, is the problem the serve going out or hitting the net?
I'm 1.68 so my reach sucks, but nonetheless relative to club level , my serve when on can sometimes be pretty quick (though that's mostly just in practice, usually in matches I get tight and my serve sucks . Need to work on that). I'm not sure where my power comes from actually. I consider my serve a bit like Henin's (not as good of course!). A surprisingly sneakily quick one despite my less-than-ideal physical attributes for serving .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Lord Choc Ice is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #43
country flag MummyRuby

MummyRuby is an unknown quantity at this point

I Used to play as a teenager...

decided to get back in to this as a hobby...

Just realising i was ALOT Fitter back then and my serve was awesome!...

I Have no upper arm stength it seems...
may need a littl working out to be done

Gym time??

Last edited by James : Sep 1st, 2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: No spamming in posts
MummyRuby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #44
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not completely aware of your own mechanics, set up a vidcam on a tripod along the baseline and tape yourself serving. Make sure you can see everything, from your feet to the point of contact.

The video approach is also helpful for all other strokes.
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #45
country flag Ollie.

So I did some practice down at my club today on my serve, and it seems to have improved! I was getting my first serve in and I was hitting with pace and into the corners of the service box. I was getting a second serve in too, even if it was a puffball.

I know that when I play again however, I'm going to flop.