1899 Results - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:46 PM   #61
country flag the computer

the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light the computer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 1899 Results

1890-1899

Thanks David and everyone else for this great results thread.

What is the opinion on Adine Masson and the French Championships – she is noted in 1897 as the first winner but not mentioned in 1898-1899 – Wiki has her down as the winner in these years but notes she was the only entrant?

What is the policy on defending champions? In the Challenge Round system do they automatically qualify as the runner up/losing finalist even if they do not defend/play in the tournament or do they forfeit this? I suppose it’s particularly important when noting down slam results?

Are the above 2 points subjective or is there a standard/universal opinion on these matters?

I usually credit Masson and defending champions even if they don’t defend and class it as a walkover since I reckon they’ve earned their w/o by being the defending champion (even though they dont defend) - semantics!– anyway CR not a good idea I guess which is why they eventually got rid of it.

Incidentally Northumberland Championships take place in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne - there is also a Newcastle-Under-Lyme in Staffordshire, a Newcastle in Northern Ireland and another in Australia and Leamington is Leamington Spa

* Significant error/query

1890 Surbiton – Alice Arbuthnot (typo)
Cheltenham – Miss Crossley = M Crossley as in Scarborough 1889?
Scottish Championships – There is a D Patterson (tt) as in Cheltenham 1886 and a Lottie Paterson (t) as in Whitehouse 1890
Beckenham – Howes = N Howes as in Beckenham 1888?
Scarborough – M Crossley (typo in final)
Felixstowe – entered twice
Exmouth – Kindersley = Georgina Kindersley?
Scarborough – D Boulton = Dorothy Boulton?
Liverpool and Scarborough– examples of defending champion not defending???
1891 West/East of Scotland – Moir = L Moir?
Mark omissions – I notice lots of results from Mark are not added to the front/first page from here on in so I wont list all of them but its better to have the fullest draws possible on the first page I think
Cheltenham – Miss Stretton = K Stretton?
Cheltenham – Miss Crossley = M Crossley?
Manchester – Miss Blencowe – E Blencowe?
1892 Cheltenham – Miss Stretton = K Stretton?
Sheffield – Miss Kersey = Winifred Kersey?
Buxton – Miss Friend = Mary Friend? Miss Vicars = A Vicars?
Hull – Miss Hodgson = C Hodgson?
Eastbourne – Tootell = E Tootell?
*Eastbourne – F – Bertha Steedman d Edith Austin???
Mark omissions
*Newcastle – Echoing Jimbo here – was it Jane or Helen who won??
1893 Mark omissions
Exmouth – Bryan = C Bryan?
Eastbourne – Mary Friend?
Ilkley – Katherine Grey?
1894 Leamington – Agatha Templeman? N Bloxsome?
Irish Championships – would that be Florence Snook?
Liverpool – Mary Friend?
Buxton – A Vicars?-K Lynch?
Wimbledon – C Bryan? – L Chatterton Clarke?
1895 Mark omissions
Nottingham – Florence Snook?
Leamington – Lucy Kendal?
Irish Championships – N Pope?
Chiswick – H Smythe?
Beckenham – A Malden?
Exmouth – Georgina Kindersley?
Wimbledon – Lottie Paterson (t)
Brighton – Madeline O’Neill?
Eastbourne – E Tootell?
1896 Ridgewood – Grace Booth?
London Championships – Agatha Templeman?
Scarborough – Lucy Kendal?
Irish Championships – Florence Snook?
Wimbledon – Lottie Paterson?
2nd Newcastle – Amy Ransome?
1897 Sheffield – H Smythe?
Scottish Championships – Lucy Kendal?
Saxmundham – Mrs H White?
Canadian Championsips – Mrs Sydney Smith?
Manchester – Ellen Cressy?
*US Open – Ellen Kitchen/Ketcham? Kenderdine/Kendedine/Kenderine? (were you drunk??)
Beckenham – E Tootell & H Smythe?
Buxton – E Wolfenden?
1898 Irish Championships – Elsie Pinckney?
*Irish Championships – SF Louisa Martin d Pinckney?
Beckenham – Amy Kirby?
1899 Welsh Championships – Henrica Ridding?
Irish Championships – M Golding?
London Championships – Ellen Thynne?
Wimbledon – Maud Garfit? – Ursula Templeman? – Beryl Tulloch – Ellen Thynne – Edith Bromfield?
the computer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 02:57 PM   #62
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

For me, the French only started in 1925 when it became open to foreign players. Before that, it only shows who were the best French players of the times, and they weren't the best players in the world.

As for the challenge thing, well, that was so long time ago. From results of many French events, we could see that Adine Masson deserved to be rewarded, if only for regular victories in the country. But that's it. The best French players weren't better than the German ones, or the Russian ones, or the Aussie ones... the best players were in the UK since the start, in competition with the US since 1900 (the famous Sutton-Chambers rivalry), and we will never know about the isolated case of Rose Payten (Australia). Then came Suzanne after WW1.
Hugues Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 08:31 PM   #63
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

May 15-20, Sheen House, Richmond, London, England (Grass)

Draw of 8

QF: Edith Austin d. E. Cooper 6-0, 6-1
QF: Amy Kirby d. Henrietta Horncastle 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
QF: Muriel Robb d. E. Tootell 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
QF: Ellen Thynne d. Edith Bromfield 3-6, 6-4, 8-6
--

SF: Austin d. Kirby 6-2, 6-2
SF: Thynne d. Robb 6-3, 6-3
--

FI: Edith Austin d. Ellen Thynne 6-3, 6-2
-----
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 08:37 PM   #64
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Circa late May, Championships of Geneva, Montreux, Switzerland (Clay)

FI: Miss White d. M. Bullock 6-2, 8-6
-----
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 06:55 AM   #65
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
Circa late May, Championships of Geneva, Montreux, Switzerland (Clay)

FI: Miss White d. M. Bullock 6-2, 8-6
-----
It's impossible that a Championships of Geneva is held in Montreux, as the two towns are very far off (circa 80/90 km.)
Later in Montreux was held the Lake Geneva (aka Lake Leman) Championships. I think this is the exact denomination for your entry...

Last edited by Jimbo109 : Aug 3rd, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
Jimbo109 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 09:36 AM   #66
country flag elegos7

elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
May 15-20, Sheen House, Richmond, London, England (Grass)

-----
I have never heard about this event before.
Was it really played on grass that early in the season in a "House"?

Was this event played in other years as well?
elegos7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 01:06 PM   #67
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Was it really played on grass that early in the season in a "House"?
At a house I should imagine. Sheen House is probably an estate, and there would be grass courts on the grounds.

Last edited by Rollo : Aug 4th, 2014 at 12:24 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #68
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Updating ----

p 5 done.

Need to do pages 3 and 4 then slams and Computer's comments.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #69
country flag newmark401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
At a house I should imagine. Sheen House is probably an estate, and there would be grass courts on the grounds.
From the internet:

"Sheen House, Sheen Lane
In 1848 this mansion was placed by the owner, a Mr Bates, at the disposal of the exiled royal family. It was used by Louis Philippe’s son ,the Duc de Nemours, and his children... The Comte de Paris, who had to leave France because of the marriage of his daughter, Marie Amelie, to the Duke of Braganza, leased the house from 1886-1892. Sheen House was demolished in 1907; its estate covered the area of East Sheen from Vicarage Road to Upper Richmond Road West."

Sheen Lane is situated quite close to Kew Gardens and the National Archives in Richmond, and not very far from the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton. Barnes, Chiswick and other places in west London associated with lawn tennis are also located nearby.
-----
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #70
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
1899 Welsh Championships – Henrica Ridding-added
Irish Championships – M Golding? noted as probable
London Championships – Ellen Thynne? added
Wimbledon – Maud Garfit? – Ursula Templeman? – Beryl Tulloch – Ellen Thynne – Edith Bromfield? -added
Updating....added page 4.

Updated. Thanks for all the additions Mark-and for your sharp eye Computer

Last edited by Rollo : Aug 9th, 2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #71
country flag Jimbo109

Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice Jimbo109 is just really nice

began October 16, Longwood Tournament, Boston, Massachusetts, US
Venue: Longwood Cricket Club

2R: Jane Stockton d. Mrs Buffum 4-6 6-4 6-4
2R: Miss Nichols d. Miss Greenough 6-0 6-1
2R: Margaret Hunnewell d. Miss E.Stockton 6-2 6-3
2R: Miss I.Lawrence d. Miss Lang 6-0 6-1

SF: Miss Nichols d. Jane Stockton 6-4 6-1
SF: Margaret Hunnewell d. Miss I.Lawrence 6-0 6-0

FI: Margaret Hunnewell d. Miss Nichols 4-6 5-7 12-10 6-3 6-2

DF: Miss Nichols/Miss Sears d. Miss I.Lawrence/Miss Howard 6-2 6-1 6-3

MX: Miss Nichols/W.E.Putnam d. Jane Stockton/A.S.Pier 6-3 6-2 6-2

Last edited by Jimbo109 : Sep 11th, 2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #72
country flag Jimbo109

August 16-19, Pacific Northwest Championships, Tacoma, Washington, US

FI: Miss Beattie d. ??

DF: Miss Beattie/Mrs Langley d. ??

MX: Miss Beattie/R.B.Russell d. ??
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #73
country flag Jimbo109

began July 31, British Columbia Championships, Victoria, Canada

FI: Muriel Goward d. Miss Beattie 6-8 6-3 6-2

DF: Miss B.Kitro/Miss M.Macrae d. Muriel Goward/Mrs W.F.Barton 6-3 4-6 6-2

MX: Mrs Hinton/James Foulkes d. Mrs Langley/R.B.Powell 7-5 6-2
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #74
country flag Jimbo109

May, Hawaiian Islands Championships, Honolulu
Venue: Pacific and Beretania TC

FI: May Hart d. ??

DF: May Hart/Miss Scott d. ??

MX: MIss Hoffman/C.H.Norton d. ??