No-Ad for All Matches in 2015 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 05:57 PM   #1
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all
No-Ad for All Matches in 2015

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...length-matches

Noone even cares enough to be outraged anymore?
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 06:15 PM   #2
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: No-Ad for All Matches in 2015

How many seconds are saved by 6 game instead of pro set? Most are still outraged but beat down with the silly, always changing reasons. Reasons remind me of the arguments against no-huddle offenses leading to injuries. Big 12 certainly has not had a rash of injuries the last 5 years.
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 06:48 PM   #3
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Scrivano, Stone, Borwell et al. discuss on twitter: https://twitter.com/BUScrivano/statu...19468404752385
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 06:24 PM   #4
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...length-matches

The silence is surprising.

Though Colette has been vocal.

My Kalamazoo Preview; NCAA Goes No-Ad in Team and Individual Championships

Quote:
I'll have to do a lot more thinking about this before I decide how it will affect my coverage of the college version of the sport, but I am leaning toward cutting back on Division I, perhaps focusing more on Division III, and returning primarily to junior tennis coverage, where I started. I'll be giving that some thought in the coming weeks and months, but I won't be purchasing plane tickets to Waco, Texas any time soon.
I don't have the timeline straight in my head. I saw the Scrivano tweet first (because it was retweeted by USTA College Tennis), but I assumed Colette wrote her story before then, but maybe not. The feed time on the story is
02/08/14 13:19

Pondering. No, that has to be UTC, so it's way before the tweet. So what is the significance of the reference to Waco? Is there some earlier declaration of support from Scrivano?

Women's Division I Tennis Coaches Call for Vote on No-ad Format

Anyhow, this is as angry as Colette gets.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 07:31 PM   #5
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
So what is the significance of the reference to Waco?
Baylor is hosting NCAAs in 2015.
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #6
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
The silence is surprising.

Though Colette has been vocal.

My Kalamazoo Preview; NCAA Goes No-Ad in Team and Individual Championships

I don't have the timeline straight in my head. I saw the Scrivano tweet first (because it was retweeted by USTA College Tennis), but I assumed Colette wrote her story before then, but maybe not. The feed time on the story is
02/08/14 13:19

Pondering. No, that has to be UTC, so it's way before the tweet. So what is the significance of the reference to Waco? Is there some earlier declaration of support from Scrivano?

Women's Division I Tennis Coaches Call for Vote on No-ad Format

Anyhow, this is as angry as Colette gets.

Good for the women's coaches. More than 60% have now signed Coach Loring's petition. No process other than a few with an agenda (I hear they dream they can get on TV) despite a large majority of the membership opposes and nobody has asked the student-athletes.

Last edited by beachman49 : Aug 5th, 2014 at 10:43 PM.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #7
country flag beachman49

So I have been reading Collette Lewis' blog comments from others

TV: It is pointed out that there are 5 BCS conferences with networks but only 1 that is distributed on Directv. So change how a sport has been played for 200 years on a fantasy that will impact almost nobody? My school and conference are very good and will NEVER be on TV.

Shorten matches: Other than TV, why?

Can they shorten without ruining the sport? Heck, I always leave at the 4th point anyway. WE WIN. So just stop like they do at NCAA's or the conference tournament. But I also attended a 5 hour barn burner at the conference finals this year that was incredible tennis. Why screw with that? Let them play and the best player won.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #8
country flag beachman49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
Baylor is hosting NCAAs in 2015.
Now there is a road trip I won't be making.

You want to build the sport? Waco? It's the easiest place to get to in the most beautiful place in the world with awesome cool breezes in late May.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #9
country flag beachman49

http://www.itatennis.com/Page13934.aspx

Wow, the ITA is just making this stuff up.

Mainz: Excitement of red flags. Ummm... 28 of 33 conferences don't have refs on every court so what red flags?
Mainz: Lots of AD's and conferences support shortening matches Who? Based on the women's petition that seems false.
Mainz: More stress is good. Contrary to ever active endeavor the NCAA has to make life easier on the S/A.

Cass: Worried about programs being dropped. This (less than 2hr dual matches) will make it less respected. Changes in basketball and volleyball were adopted at all levels; not just some college hybrid. (Note: Cass has always been an #SS).

McEnroe (the real culprit in this; another watering down of tennis claim US tennis development): "I played it." It will be wonderful because we can dummy down the sport so 2 star US kids can lasts 90 minutes.

MeEnroe: Change is good. My thought: Change just for change is a good reason to change out the leadership. At over $1M per year for nearly a decade leading US Tennis development, I would agree. It's time to change you out.

This format ... no ad, no warm up, dubs to 6 and clinch/clinch.... is gonna be under 2 hours. TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF COLLEGE TENNIS.

Last edited by beachman49 : Aug 7th, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #10
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Care, but expect 110% percent disdain back for protesting this, and that doesn't taste good.

-
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #11
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future

Sad day. ZooTennis will not be covering D1 Tennis anymore.

www.tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com

Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 03:56 PM   #12
country flag beachman49

Talked with 2 local coaches this week and did some hunting around on my own

180 of approx 300 women's coaches have now signed a petition to stop this. Which makes one wonder how the ITA committee could vote 22-1 in favor but a majority of the membership is adamantly opposed.

The ITA posted 'notable quotes' in support. What a crock. 3 guys that played 30 years ago and Dick 'I was there when the game was invented' Gould. Other quotes are committee people or the SEC for the most part. Not one quote has a credible justification. It's all 'we need change' or 'we need TV'. The first is bs and the second is an elite pipe-dream.

Ironic, the SEC starts their TV network next week. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As I see this, it's a men's tennis and SEC effort trying to get TV time.

And Patrick '$1 million per year from USTA' McEnroe has his finger prints all over this. I am so pissed off that I turned off tennis from Cincy last weekend rather than listen to McEnroe (who would be a NOBODY if not for his brother but instead is a multi-millionaire).

In no way does this benefit the other 90%.

Last thought to the old timers and elite men's coaches who support this: THERE IS A REASON THEY GOT RID OF THIS SCORING 30 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!

Sad
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #13
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

I've been trying to think calmly about this.

will I react, "this is shit, but I love team college tennis, and in the end go anyway" but on a more granular level, which are the matches that I will skip.

These plans seem to take the fun out of 1/2 the schedule that might be characterized as "I'm confident that the home team will win, but I'd expect a couple of competitive high quality matches among the top three courts."

In those matches, all the better parts have been abridged.
  • Doubles - like everyone says
  • Only 10 minutes between single and doubles, no warmup. That's when I talk to my friends. Don't they know that half-time is one of the biggest parts of the social nature of football, eg the successful spectator sports. That is part of my fun time, especially in a sport that says no talking during points.
  • The two competitive matches won't be completed, what fun is that? I expect 4 relatively easy wins, and 2 competitive matches, and your saying the two good matches won't be finished. Nutz to that.
  • too much driving, searching for parking, for too little tennis.

Maybe I'll still want to go to the marquee matches, but I'll have less connection to the team and fans in the stand if I haven't attended and socialized in the routine matches prior.

Still feeling sad about these changes.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #14
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

wait a minute. these chages are being implemented FOR SURE? WHAT?
desariofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #15
country flag beachman49

Interesting fall out in NYC on the entire lack of player development. ESPN and McEnroe soft shoe but NY Times (a real paper) all over the USTA:

1) McEnroe Forced Out (the NYT words)
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/04..._r=1&referrer=

2) USTA Inside Dealing/Closed Shop (this one is a doozie... somebody did a lot of work on this story)
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/23...us-tennis.html

3) Lastly, interesting the ITA posted a fluff bio on Perkins-Jasper from New Mexico this week. A couple thoughts
- Background is the USTA Training Center, ITA and USTA Boards and her boss is the nut job ex-A&M coach who believes 'if you don't embrace change you should find another line of work'
- She virtually quotes that

Change: When ever someone calls for change the sentence better continue into 'BECAUSE.....' and the justification cannot finish with 'we need change.'

The ITA/USTA cannot/will not come up with a 'because....' due to the fact the only reasons are to shorten so a few elite schools can get on TV and 'because' Mr. McEnroe believes dummying the game down might help a few more US kids succeed.

It is my understading that on the 'womens side' there is a large majority of schools and conferences opposed including 4 of 5 power conferences.

The pending NCAA meeting where and final changes to rules have to be approved should be interesting.