Is Maria an overachiever or an underachiever? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 15th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #31
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Maria an overachiever or an underachiever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
Azarenka and natural talent?
I don't even know what talent or natural talent means, or what posters mean by it. There's not one player out there that hasn't been called untalented by one group or the other at TF. If I was a player I wouldn't want any talent at all, because it seems to me that the less I have of it the better I'd do.

Seriousy, all of them are talented. If they weren't we would be doing it ourselves instead of talking about it.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 12:19 PM   #32
country flag Strawberried4t55

Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice

I really think she would have won FO 2011, Li Na is nothing special on clay.
Strawberried4t55 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 01:15 PM   #33
country flag midaso

midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all midaso is a name known to all

If anything,overachiever. There are quite a few players more talented who achieved less
midaso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 02:03 PM   #34

Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice Strawberried4t55 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaso View Post
If anything,overachiever. There are quite a few players more talented who achieved less
Such as?
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 02:14 PM   #35
country flag Shirapova

Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold Shirapova is a splendid one to behold

Somehow she is both.

I read an article where Robert Lansdorp opend up about her when she trained in L.A. with him. He told what he discussed with Yuri about Maria. I don't remember exactly the words but it was about if she should play with her left or right hand. There where certain problems on both sides (backhand, forehand, serve). For example: Forehand was a problem with playing right-handed whereas the backhand was an advantage bc of her strong left hand. Lansdorp said her BH DTL would be world class shot one day (right). But there were real problems with her forehand.

Her coaches always said that she was a great talent and could make a good player one day, but talent-wise they didn't thought of a number-1-player winning multiple slams. There were/are loads of players with more talent but never underestimate one's mind and determination (Maria' biggest asset).

I remember being somehow shocked by Lansdorp's words bc I always thought Maria was an underachiever. And the sounded like it's the total opposite.

Looking at her athletic abilities, movement and all the troubles with her shoulder - She's one hell of an overachiever.

But yeah, looking at her 2005 semi's and all her lost finals over the years - she could have won a lot more. But she always worked as hard as she could and gave her all, reaching her limits - so you can't blame her. Her work-ethic and mental strength won her a lot. More than anyone would have thought. There were way bigger talents in history and today who's achievements are nowhere near Maria's.

So I would say considering her 'limited physical skills' (sounds weird, but I mean compared to many other athletes), she achieved the impossible.

"Nur wer sich selbst das letzte an Leistung abverlangt, wird über den Durchschnitt hinauskommen."
Shirapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 02:33 PM   #36

I agree, even if Maria lost matches, she would NEVER not give a effort, and that's why I don't you think can call her an under-achiever, because she tried her hardest.
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 03:46 PM   #37
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

she definitely overachieved in Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberried4t55 View Post
I agree, even if Maria lost matches, she would NEVER not give a effort, and that's why I don't you think can call her an under-achiever, because she tried her hardest.
She is an underachiever because her first career ended with her shoulder injury. And it happened when the likes of JJ, Woz, Vera were at the top . She missed 3 years of chaos in WTA with random Slam winners.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #38
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Not really related to Maria, but since you guys were discussing talented players who underachieved, the first pick that comes to my mind is Ivanovic. If she had Maria's determination not to falter when things get rough, she could have easily won 2 or 3 more Slams IMO. I'd say Dementieva easily falls into that category as well...

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you
Tennisvampire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 04:18 PM   #39

And Sabatini, as well, if she had played in a different era, she would have been a multiple slam champion