On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 337 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 25th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #5041
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
She will never get to that point again imo. But I do think that she can improve on how she's currently doing.

As for Rory, he's number one on my shitlist. How can he treat her like this after she was willing to virtually sacrifice her own career for him? Buying her expensive presents, proposing to her and acting as though her 'yes' was your 'first big win of the year,' telling everyone how much she means to you - only to give her the boot at the last minute. VERY low of you McIlroy. I hope that you'll live to regret this. You may be a great golfer, but as a human being you turn out to be one huge disappointment.
Though I saw your posts from my email inbox hours earlier and thought that they were QUITE worthy of responses....no offense, I postponed replying b/c I thought it'd be better to spend some precious time with my gf first

My affection for Caroline makes me inclined to agree with you; however, MANY would argue that Rory did a good and honorable thing by backing out of a commitment that he knew he couldn't keep. I'll also point out that loads of your European comrades seem to believe there's nothing wrong with having multiple sexual partners as one has the right to pursue his/her own happiness. For those who feel that such a right is inalienable, Rory's actions were pretty tame compared with some others'. I'm merely playing devil's advocate here

As for your 1st paragraph, I'm inclined to agree with that one, too, although Caroline has ample opportunity to refute us. In closing, I'll restate my belief that the relationship distraction was CARO's fault and not Rory's. Nothing against the golfer, but he lacks the charisma to mesmerize a sane woman to the extent that she loses her free will. On top of that, other WTA'ers have relationships, even marriages, and continue to find success. I'm very sorry that Caro has dropped in the rankings, yet I refuse to use her relationship as a cop-out for that

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2014, 04:50 AM   #5042
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Bad luck buddy boy. Genie has won a tournament.
There's been no bad luck at all.Though I'm not terribly impressed that the juggernaut "Steffi" Bouchard managed to coast through an MM draw where she faced only one player in the TOP SIXTY(that being the nearly-invincible, 52nd-ranked automaton Karin Knapp), the sport looks a WHOLE lot better--and more credible--when Bouchard is capable of doing more than posing for photo shoots. You read my earlier post where I congratulated AI for overcoming her personal demons and becoming a bona fide tennis player again. She could have rested on her laurels and collected endorsements until her hair began to gray(and Machorra Allaster would've just enabled her ALL THE WAY), but she has finally started acting like at least a quasi-role model by clearly showing her desire to do more than just promos.

I'm QUITE sure you've noticed that the REAL 'beautiful sport' is NOT that ultra-boring fraud filled with swishy, bitchy, fragile, man-purse-carrying injury fakers run by that festering scrotum wart known as Sepp Blatter. Indeed, their absurdly-feigned, supposed excellence--as with the RCC--is due to nothing more than chronologically pre-dating their competition, brainwashing mindless sheep from the crib, and manipulating things from positions of political power.....No, the sports that often display an almost otherworldly beauty are figure skating, women's volleyball and, of course, women's tennis. The bad news is that the WTA's so-called leadership immeasurably squanders talent by fostering a spoiled slacker environment. The GOOD news, though, is that they don't completely destroy that reservoir of talent(in spite of themselves), and we still get unforgettable moments in some of the victories that Caro and her cohorts have blessed us with over the years

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 02:31 PM   #5043
country flag bruce goose

My neighbors' chihuahua loves begging me for dog biscuits, but he never gets more than one because he apparently has weak jaws....It takes him almost a full minute to lift the biscuit from the ground and finish chewing it.....but at least he enjoys the effort

Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 07:16 AM   #5044
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Well, you could just send me a PM if you wanted. It's not a big issue for me but I thought I'd ask since you're obviously a fan

On a similar note, I wasn't a totally-rabid TNG follower, but I was an unashamed fan of the show. One of my acquaintances was REALLY a huge fan, and he was fascinated by 'Q' so I don't think that he was capable of being objective when I said that Nagilum was more powerful than Q. If you'll recall, Troi sensed Q's presence almost right away in the first encounter, yet she was oblivious when they first fell into Nagilum's "cloud". Only afterwards was she able to sense him in a subtle way

Another point is that Nagilum was powerfully telepathic whereas Q had to observe and ask questions to learn information

The final argument in Nagilum's favor is that Q was fearful of human influence in the galaxy, thus provoking his interventions. Nagilum got bored with the crew and moved on after conducting his one experiment. There's obviously no way to prove any of this empirically, but the evidence tells me that Nagilum was a higher life form than Q, and I'd say also more refined and less impulsive, emotionally. Q was sort of like one of those fickle,immature pagan gods from mythology who acted on whims.....at least that's MY take
I don't actually recall the Naglium. I kind of think that's an episode I never saw but I'm not sure. I have seen most if not all of the episodes though. The Next Generation is my favorite form of Star Trek.

What if Q was limiting his powers for our benefit, a sort of adapting to a lesser race?

Have you seen the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 01:57 PM   #5045
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I don't actually recall the Naglium. I kind of think that's an episode I never saw but I'm not sure. I have seen most if not all of the episodes though. The Next Generation is my favorite form of Star Trek.

What if Q was limiting his powers for our benefit, a sort of adapting to a lesser race?

Look for TNG's "Where Silence Has Lease", although the suspense will be ruined somewhat now that you sort of know what happened. Haven't seen much of the newer films yet, but I caught a small portion of one of them before leaving for an evening class.

I can see where the Q character may have limited the exertion of his powers upon the humans, especially because his race often made decisions as a group about what they wanted for the galaxy. However, I'd say that he simply lacked telepathic power; he was intensely curious, so he wouldn't refuse to use powers that enabled him to achieve knowledge. Also, if and when you see Nagilum, you'll find that he's not clownish or mischievous as Q often was. Like I said, Q reminds me of those fickle, impulsive pagan gods we see in movies or read about in mythology. By comparison, Nagilum was much more introspective and contemplative

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #5046
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Didn't feel like going to the other thread today....Since you're the resident stats whiz, perhaps you could tell me how much of a points gap there will be between Serena and Li in the next rankings.

Yesterday, I saw a video clip of Venus celebrating ecstatically after Serena beat her for the 2002 RG crown. As a human being, I'm glad that the WS have such sisterly closeness. Within the mortal realm, family is the most important thing that we have. However, as a SPORTS FAN, that clip was some of the most pathetic shit I've ever seen. I can imagine that all of the WTA-hating, ATP blowjobbers had a field day with that clip. No doubt, they were already mocking the WTA for the fact that almost no one could take a set from the WS for about a 2-year stretch. To make it worse, you had a player acting like a giddy 13-year-old after losing a Slam final.

Though it's hard to conceive the on-court result, can you envision John McEnroe acting that way if his brother Patrick ever beat him in a slam final? If Steffi had a tennis-playing sister named Magdalena Graf, I could pretty much GUARANTEE you that she wouldn't act as Venus did in 2002 if "Magda" beat Steffi in a Slam. Richard Williams says that Steffi was the best player ever, and he's right; she exceeds the WS, in terms of mental toughness, BY FAR. To close with a real-life example, I don't recall Jim Harbaugh coming back onto the field to celebrate his brother's triumph in SB 47, even though he had ample time to give a condolence speech to his defeated 49'ers and then return to the field for the trophy ceremony. I don't deny that the WS are true, worthy legends of the sport but, in the one respect above, they are often mentally weak. EVEN if it's your brother or sister, you've got to want to royally kick their ass when it's title time....and you might not be QUITE as angry losing to your sibling but--barring outstanding circumstances(e.g., an imminent retirement for the victor)-- you should be pissed off for at least a couple hours before celebrating with your sib

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #5047
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Didn't feel like going to the other thread today....Since you're the resident stats whiz, perhaps you could tell me how much of a points gap there will be between Serena and Li in the next rankings.

Yesterday, I saw a video clip of Venus celebrating ecstatically after Serena beat her for the 2002 RG crown. As a human being, I'm glad that the WS have such sisterly closeness. Within the mortal realm, family is the most important thing that we have. However, as a SPORTS FAN, that clip was some of the most pathetic shit I've ever seen. I can imagine that all of the WTA-hating, ATP blowjobbers had a field day with that clip. No doubt, they were already mocking the WTA for the fact that almost no one could take a set from the WS for about a 2-year stretch. To make it worse, you had a player acting like a giddy 13-year-old after losing a Slam final.

Though it's hard to conceive the on-court result, can you envision John McEnroe acting that way if his brother Patrick ever beat him in a slam final? If Steffi had a tennis-playing sister named Magdalena Graf, I could pretty much GUARANTEE you that she wouldn't act as Venus did in 2002 if "Magda" beat Steffi in a Slam. Richard Williams says that Steffi was the best player ever, and he's right; she exceeds the WS, in terms of mental toughness, BY FAR. To close with a real-life example, I don't recall Jim Harbaugh coming back onto the field to celebrate his brother's triumph in SB 47, even though he had ample time to give a condolence speech to his defeated 49'ers and then return to the field for the trophy ceremony. I don't deny that the WS are true, worthy legends of the sport but, in the one respect above, they are often mentally weak. EVEN if it's your brother or sister, you've got to want to royally kick their ass when it's title time....and you might not be QUITE as angry losing to your sibling but--barring outstanding circumstances(e.g., an imminent retirement for the victor)-- you should be pissed off for at least a couple hours before celebrating with your sib
According to TheBoiledEgg's ranking update thread, Serena will lead Li by 2210 points when the new rankings come out Monday.

I could see someone being happy after losing a slam final (or other big sporting event) if they didn't expect to be there like if they're young/early in their career or old/late in their career. As someone who had won 4 slams already, Venus probably wouldn't have been happy just to be in a slam final though.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #5048
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
According to TheBoiledEgg's ranking update thread, Serena will lead Li by 2210 points when the new rankings come out Monday.

I could see someone being happy after losing a slam final (or other big sporting event) if they didn't expect to be there like if they're young/early in their career or old/late in their career. As someone who had won 4 slams already, Venus probably wouldn't have been happy just to be in a slam final though.
That's FAR fewer points than she previously led by, but it's still a comfortable gap for now. Thanks for the info

You offer good input on the other issue,too; personally, I used to get a little pissed if my brother beat me in MONOPOLY....so you can imagine how I'd feel about a Slam final

Old Jun 7th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #5049
country flag Zamboni
Vamorza!

Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute Zamboni has a reputation beyond repute

Volume 2

Zamboni is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread