1983 - Page 27 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:30 AM   #391
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1983

Nice reading that Adey. Shades of things to come......
Unless Sukova was totally off she was always a joy to watch. She had a sort of slappy-spidery forehand and could really lay on some pressure.

I have an earlier match of Chris vs Helena in my collection from the German Open. Evert won in straights. Despite that you can tell Chris knew she had a match on her hands....

Quote:
Posted by HanaFan Horvath was very solid. I am surprised that she didn't spend more time in the top 20 because she was very tough, smart, and consistent. She was a good doubles player as well so she had the capacity to expand her game and go on the attack as she did vs. Martina.

She had just given Chris a good battle in Berlin, so she was on good form. Martina should've known to be careful with that match and not try to stay back as much as it sounds like she did.

Martina was on another level in Paris in 1984 and as luck would have it, she ran into Horvath again in the QF. I think she won 6-4, 6-2. But it sounds as if the first set was a little nervy for the champ.

I also remember Kathy giving Chris a tough set at Wimbledon in 1986, and she gave a good performance against Martina that same year at the US Open. The next thing I heard about her was that she had quit the tour to go to Penn, which is an awesome school. So she was a smarty too!
Thanks for adding to some color to Horvath. I confess I often mixed her up with the other "Chris clones" as we called them in the 80s. None of them really made it other than Austin and Jaeger. Kathy can always say she saved the WTA tour from a perfect season!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #392
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

THE TIMES – Monday 30th May 1983
MISS NAVRATILOVA BEATEN ON MERIT

The French championships, the first of the game’s three great annual festivals, are half over. Which means that most of the fun and charm and vitality have drained out of a singles programme now solemnly concentrated within the two main arenas. Even so, the half term report contains facts of note to anyone with a sense of history.

For the first time since 1970 there are two Frenchmen in the last eight, although one of them, Christophe Roger-Vasselin, was born in London. For the first time since Susan Barker won the title from a weaker field in 1976, a British player, Joanna Durie, is among the last eight women, For the first time since 1950, the women’s quarter-finals include five players born in the United States. One of the last group is Kathleen Horvath, aged 17, who has a Hungarian father, a German mother but was born in Chicago.

On Saturday she became the first player to beat Martina Navratilova (last year’s winner here) since Chris Lloyd did so in the final of the Australian championships on December 5. “Everybody thought Martina was invincible”, Mrs Lloyd said yesterday. “But she’s human – which means that sooner or later she had to lose a match”.

Miss Navratilova did not fall apart emotionally, as she sometimes used to do. She was beaten on merit by a smarter, tidier player who had nothing to lose except a tennis match. An intriguing feature was the bold way Miss Horvath attacked Miss Navratilova’s backhand and went to the net to put away what were often careworn returns.

The status of favourite thus reverts to Mrs Lloyd, four times champion. This raises two questions. At the age of 28 she could win at least one Grand Slam singles title for the tenth consecutive year. Her record in this respect is already unique. And as United States and Australian champion could she, in the twilight of her career as a contender for the big titles, achieve a Grand Slam of the four major singles championships by winning here and at Wimbledon.

The last eight line-up as follows : Miss Horvath v Mima Jausovec, Tracy Austin v Miss Durie, Gretchen Rush v Andrea Jaeger and Hana Mandlikova v Mrs Lloyd. Miss Durie has beaten two seeds, Pamela Shriver and Kathy Rinaldi, despite the fact that clay is by no means her best surface. Miss Rush aged 19, also reached the last eight of the United States championships.

Miss Mandlikova, who’s last win over Mrs Lloyd occurred in this same tournament two years ago, marred a good performance against Andrea Temesvari yesterday, when angered by a line decision, she shouted at the umpire in a manner that suggested imminent hysteria. By a process of association that brings us to John McEnroe, who has been fined a total of roughly £2,150 for his conduct when playing Ben Testerman in the first round. Such fines do not mean much. It seems that the “system” will tolerate McEnroe whatever he does or says, as long as he gives the “system” his financial support.

Thanks to his enviable skills McEnroe has reached the last 16 for the second time in four attempts. The men’s draw has in fact been reduced to 12 : Connors v Roger-Vasselin; Lendl v Noah, Higueras or Gomez v Arias or Vilas and Wilander or Sundstrom (both Swedish) v Teltscher or McEnroe (both Americans).

Titles (7) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome, YEC Singapore
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #393
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

THE GUARDIAN – Monday 30th May 1983
LLOYD STRUGGLES IN A TEST OF NERVE

“Everyone seemed to think Martina was invincible. But she is human like the rest of us”. Chris Lloyd, who’s chances of regaining the French women’s title improved remarkably on Saturday when Miss Navratilova, the holder and favourite, lost to unseeded Kathy Horvath, spoke with obvious feeling and relief after surviving a three-set fright herself in the fourth round in Paris yesterday.

Mrs Lloyd, who in 30 Grand Slam events since 1973 has never failed to make the semi-finals, struggled for 90 minutes to beat 18 year old Czech girl, Helena Sukova, 6-2 3-6 6-3. In the end it was not Mrs Lloyd’s game but Miss Sukova’s crumbling nerve, that settled the issue.

Twenty years ago in the same setting Helena’s late mother Vera was faced with much the same situation when she played the then second favourite, Margaret Smith. She won a famous victory 6-3 8-6. Her daughter’s turn will surely come, however, and according to Mrs Lloyd it could be at Wimbledon.

“She should be very dangerous on grass”, said Mrs Lloyd. “She plays just like Ivan Lendl, big forehands and big serve”. Last year the tall Czech youngster was runner-up at the Wimbledon girl’s event.

Another Czech, Hana Mandlikova, is now the next obstacle in Mrs Lloyd’s path. She made short work of the Hungarian Andrea Temesvari, winning 6-2 6-1 in little more than an hour. Although the American has beaten the Czech No 1 13 times, one of her two defeats against her was in Paris in 1981.

Mrs Lloyd, who is now pursuing a third successive grand slam title – she holds the US and Australian championships – admits she is now beginning to feel the pressure. “Everyone seems to think it’s my tournament now. But I don’t want to take anything for granted. That would be my biggest mistake”.

With so many Americans around who have moulded themselves in Mrs Lloyd’s image, the serve and volley players are now working out how to cope with the two-handed baseliners. Miss Sukova hit the ball fiercely to drive the favourite back on her heels and then caught her stranded with delicate drop shots and angled volleys.

Having levelled in the second set and caught up from 0-3 to 3-3 in the third, however, Miss Sukova lost serve again on two double faults and then tossed away any chance of springing the weekend’s second great ambush with a series of wild forehand errors.

A screaming outburst against the umpire after he over-ruled a call, lost Miss Mandlikova some support in her match but she played with authority throughout and everyone seemed to forget her petty outburst after play was held up by a jumbo jet, with the space shuttle on it’s back, which had strayed in from the Paris air show.

British hopes of a second quarter-finalist – Jo Durie won through on Saturday – disappeared when Anne Hobbs lost 6-2 6-4 to last year’s runner-up, Andrea Jaeger. It was a curious match with 12 breaks of serve. Gretchen Rush, the reigning junior world champion, beat Ivanna Madruga-Osses 6-3 6-2 and plays Miss Jaeger next, as she did in the quarter finals of the US Championship last September.

Further fuel to the growing belief that France may have their first men’s champion since 1946 came when Yannick Noah gained his fourth straight sets victory, beating John Alexander 6-2 7-6 6-1. He too, voiced a note of caution. “It’s one thing beating people like Mats Wilander and Jose Higueras in Hamburg, but when you get here everyone is at their peak and the hard matches are coming.”

Both Noah and Jimmy Connors, who overwhelmed Eric Fromm 6-2 6-1 6-1, have had it rather easy so far and a change of gear may be necessary. Noah’s next date is with Lendl, while Connors faces a less expected French challenger, Christophe Roger-Vasselin who was born in London and beat the Spaniard Fernando Luna 6-2 6-3 1-6 6-1.

Lendl’s match ended in great controversy. His opponent was the circuit’s leading gentlemen, Brian Gottfried, but the erratic umpiring led even this easy-going American to lose his temper. Technically, Gottfried was wrong when he blew up and stopped proceedings for almost 10 minutes at match point. Yet many felt sympathy for him.

Gottfried had two set points in the first set, a chance to lead 5-4 I the second and then believed he had been robbed by a number of dubious calls in the third. Nevertheless, he ran in and shook hands with Lendl as the number three seed finally won 7-6 6-4 6-3.

Titles (7) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome, YEC Singapore
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #394
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

I would have to rate Hana's win over Temesvari as one of her best on clay. Andrea was on good form having pushed Martina deep into a 3rd set at Hilton Head, and then she won the Swiss and Italian titles. In Rome, she beat most of her opponents by 6-1 6-0 scores. So for Hana to beat her by 6-2 6-1 wasn't insignificant.

Her loss in the QF to Chris is one of my favorite matches between the two. The match was filled with long baseline duels between two of the flattest strikers of the ball. Hana fell several times but won a point beautifully on a diving backhand volley that just dropped over the net. She also had great success dropshotting Chris.

But Chris' relentless dtermination and consistency was exacting a toll on Hana the entire match. The third set was a bit of a dud as Hana faded, mentally exhausted.

Most called it the match of the ladies tournament, but true to form, Curry Kirkpatrick covered the match for Sports Illustrated in his usual form, which was to find every fault that he could with womens tennis. It's as if he resented being assigned to cover womens tennis along with the mens tennis that he favored.

This goes back to the conversation I had with Mrs. A on how poorly tennis was covered in America.
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #395
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Most called it the match of the ladies tournament, but true to form, Curry Kirkpatrick covered the match for Sports Illustrated in his usual form, which was to find every fault that he could with womens tennis. It's as if he resented being assigned to cover womens tennis along with the mens tennis that he favored.
Curry was the most acid tongued writer I can ever recall from this era. He was truly awful.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #396
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Curry was the most acid tongued writer I can ever recall from this era. He was truly awful.
Agreed. He should've been a speech writer for a politician.
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:21 PM   #397
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

DAILY MAIL – Monday 30th May 1983
CHRIS STAVES OFF THREAT TO THE OLD ORDER

For 30 minutes here at Stade Roland Garros, women’s tennis looked to be moving to a new era.

Chris Lloyd was struggling desperately against the powerful drives and dropshots of the exciting 18 year-old Czech, Helena Sukova. Only 4 hours earlier the world No 1 and defending champion, Martina Navratilova had been beaten by 17 year-old American Kathy Horvath.

The party is over for Martina but Chris rallied to win 6-2 3-6 6-3, and having won the US Open and the Australian titles, she is two-thirds of the way to becoming only the third woman to win the Grand Slam.

“I have beaten everybody left in the tournament but I don’t want to take anything for granted – that would be my biggest mistake. The pressure was on Martina, now it’s on me”, said Mrs Lloyd.

Standing 6ft 2in with a forehand which, at it’s best, is reminiscent of Christine Truman’s and a flourishing backhand – not unlike that of Ivan Lendl, the youngster from Prague had Mrs Lloyd looking defenceless for most of the second set.

Helena, daughter of the 1962 Wimbledon finalist, Vera, had lost her service in the opening game, but took the next five games from Mrs Lloyd with risky strokes which the crowd adored.

Much the same thing can be said of Britain’s No 4 Anne Hobbs, who went out 6-2 6-4 to American Andrea Jaeger.

Although the Cheshire girl could only win four points on her own service in the opening set, she had break points on every one of the American’s service games.

Jimmy Connors, top seed in the men’s singles, gave his most convincing performance so far in reaching the quarter-finals with a 6-2 6-1 6-1 win over Eric Fromm.

The French still have their hopes on one of their players winning the men’s title for the first time since Marcel Bernard in 1946. Yannick Noah put out the Australian veteran John Alexander 6-2 7-6 6-1 but must now overcome Lendl.

Old May 31st, 2014, 06:28 PM   #398
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

THE GUARDIAN – Tuesday 31st May 1983
DURIE REACHES SEMI-FINALS WITH A DEVASTATING WIN

Jo Durie breathed life back into the ailing body of British tennis in the warm Parisian sunshine yesterday. Having forfeited a commanding position and allowed Tracy Austin to square their quarter-final in the French Championships at set-all, she then devastated the fourth seed in a further 22 minutes – and at the cost of just seven points – to win 6-1 4-6 6-0.

It was unquestionably the best performance by a British woman since Virginia Wade won the Wimbledon centenary title in 1977. Miss Durie, 22, had travelled to Paris with a groin strain, feeling she would be happy to survive two rounds. Now, if she can beat Mima Jausovec of Yugoslavia on Thursday, she would have a chance of becoming the first unseeded winner in the post-war era.

Seven years ago Sue Barker, her predecessor as British No 1, won the title from a weakened field (all the top players were engaged in Team Tennis) and without meeting another seed. In successive rounds Miss Durie has beaten Pam Shriver (5), Kathy Rinaldi (12) and Miss Austin : all players with appreciably higher ranking.

“I’m amazed at the progress she has made in the last year”, commented Sue Mappin, the British womens’ team manager. “I cannot believe how hard she’s worked. Now it’s really paying off.”

Yesterday’s victory was worth almost £12,000. More importantly it lifted her among the world’s top 20 for the first time in her career.

Theoretically, Miss Durie’s game is not suited to slow clay. But like many young Europeans with an aggressive instinct, powerful serve and swing volley, she has quietly been cultivating an antidote to the metronomic baseline style which so many Americans favour.

Whenever possible she sliced the ball deep to her opponent’s backhand, using her height and reach to make it skid through, and then pumped away winners. Inevitably there were times when Miss Austin passed her. Nothing, however, deflected her from her game plan.

She had the best possible start, playing almost flawlessly and hitting a stream of winners for a 5-0 lead in 18 minutes. Thoughts of her last match against Miss Austin when she led 4-0, 30-0 and then lost 6-4 6-1, surfaced briefly when she lost the next game but she held her serve for the set.

The second was tighter. Miss Austin concentrated her attack on Miss Durie’s backhand, forcing several bad errors and four breaks left them level at 3-3. Again the American failed to hold and, when Miss Durie reached 40-15 in the next game, it seemed as though it was all over.

A netted forehand gave Miss Austin another point, and on the next she floated a backhand return which was called out. “The ball was good”, said the umpire, stunning Miss Durie by calling the score at deuce instead of 5-3. Twelve minutes later the match was levelled.

“It’s so easy to panic in a situation like that”, said Miss Durie. “If you opponent is a player ranked below you, you carry on in the same way and win. With one of the top players you can be tempted to try for something more. So that’s what I controlled – the panic.”

Later Miss Austin admitted that, at that moment, she believed she had the match won. She could not have been more wrong. The initiative was ripped from her as Miss Durie rose, in the most un-English fashion, to the challenge. “I still can’t believe it” said her coach, Alan Jones. “I always reckoned by the time she was 25 she might have a shout on grass. Now at 22 she plays like this on clay”.

In spite of Miss Jausovec’s 6-1 6-1 victory over Kathy Horvath, who knocked out Martina Navratilova, Miss Durie has the psychological advantage of having beaten her twice already. And although the semi-final is not until Thursday, she plays to keep match-tuned in the doubles. Later yesterday she and Anne Hobbs reached the quarter-finals with a 4-6 7-5 6-0 victory over Duk Hee Lee and Lucia Romanov

Womens Singles – Quarter Finals

J Durie (GB) beat T Austin (US) 6-1 4-6 6-0
M Jausovec (YUG) beat K Horvath (US) 6-1 6-1

Old May 31st, 2014, 09:24 PM   #399
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

THE TIMES – Tuesday 31st May 1983
BRAUVURA DISPLAY BY MISS DURIE

Joanna Durie, of Bristol, aged 22, will play Mima Jausovec for a place in the women’s singles final of the French Championships. Yesterday Miss Durie gave what may have been the finest performance of her career. She beat Tracy Austin 6-1 4-6 6-0.

As the scores suggest Miss Austin was completely outclassed in the first and third sets. Miss Durie playfully commented later, with a wink: “I lost the second set because I needed the clay-court practice”.

There is much in common between Miss Durie and the youngest player to win the women’s title, Christine Truman. Miss Durie, too, raises images of schoolgirl heroines, observes the social proprieties, yet has an unaffected charm, a sense of fun, and a no-nonsense approach to life. In short, she is no goodie-goodie. Like Miss Truman, she is a six footer who gives the ball a whack and has no great taste or talent for fancy stuff. Like Miss Truman, she is most obviously at home on fast courts but, oddly, has first reached the heights on the slow clay of mainland Europe.

Miss Truman used to say that she wished she could always play as she did when beating Sandra Reynolds 6-0 6-0 in the 1959 Italian final. Miss Durie may come to have similar feelings about yesterday’s match. It was no flash in the pan. She has reached the last 16 of the other three Grand Slam championships, and here in Paris, has beaten seeds in three consecutive matches.

Miss Durie has advanced fast since November 1980, when she had an operation for a prolapsed disc in her back. For the last week she has been nursing a slightly strained groin muscle but has practiced daily with Alan Jones, her coach, “to get warm, get moving, and get with it”.

She certainly got with it yesterday. This was a bravura performance, exemplary in it’s mature authority, in it’s tactical variety and in the timing with which Miss Durie used a wide range of shots. She was so boldly competent that she even played clay-court tricks as if born to the trade, swinging the ball deeply to the corners to open up the court, or teasing Miss Austin with the quick one-two of a drop and passing shot.

The end of the second set was a test for Miss Durie’s nerves. “When you play somebody like that and lose a few points, its easy to panic. But I controlled that and thought to myself “this is nice”. Miss Austin had a bad match and reckoned the third set was one of the worst of her career. “Jo played well. But I wasn’t keeping the ball in. I made so many unforced errors.”

Kathleen Horvath, who had beaten Martina Navratilova in the previous round, was given a tennis lesson by Miss Jausovec. “It’s hard to keep on playing well when you have beaten the No 1 player”, Miss Horvath said later. “Part of the problem was that I was satisfied – and found it hard to fight”. Looking ahead, Miss Jausovec told us : “I know Jo is going to attack all the time, to my backhand. I will just try to play deep, play my own game and hope it works as well as it did today.” The blue-eyed little Yugoslav (about 9in shorter than Miss Durie) was champion in 1977 and runner-up in 1978 in a time when the women’s draw was weaker than it is now.

The other semi-final final, probably of a higher class will be Gretchen Rush or Andrea Jaeger v Hana Mandlikova or Chris Lloyd. The men are down to eight : Jimmy Connors v Christophe Roger-Vasselin, Ivan Lendl v Yannick Noah, Jose Higueras v Guillermo Vilas and Mats Wilander v John McEnror. Noah, Higueras and Vilas have yet to lose a set, though Higueras admitted yesterday that his painful “tennis elbow” was worsening every day.

Wilander took almost an hour and a half to win the first set from Henrik Sundstrom. The players were more patient than the customers who walked out in hundreds. McEnroe, advancing to the last eight for the second time in four attempts, produced wonders of touch and inventive daring in the course of a far more entertaining match with Eloit Teltscher.

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 02:49 PM   #400
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

DAILY MAIL – Tuesday 31st May 1983
JO’S JOY DAY – BRITAIN’S No 1 HITS HIGH NOTE TO BEAT TRACY

Jo Durie, playing champagne tennis with a thrill in every bubble, defeated Tracy Austin in the French Championships here yesterday.

Her 6-1 4-6 6-0 victory over the world’s fourth best woman in 94 magical minutes must take its place among the beset British tennis performances of recent years.

To defeat Miss Austin anywhere, would in itself be a remarkable achievement, but the red clay courts of Stade Roland Garros would have been the last battlefield of Jo’s choice. In the five years Miss Durie has been coming here she has survived the first round only once. “I didn’t really want to play here”, she admitted. Now, the 22 year-old from Bristol is in the semi-finals, having won five matches, including three against seeds.

Jo is also hoping to find stardom as a singer for on Friday her pop record Wimbledon Lawns will be released.

“It took nine hours to record and that was much more exhausting than playing two Tracy Austin’s because I can’t really sing and I find hitting tennis balls easier than hitting notes”, she said.

She could be celebrating the launch of her record by being in the final here. On Thursday the 5ft 11.5in English girl faces the little Yugoslav Mima Jausovec and when they last met in Chicago in February, Jo won by 6-4 7-5.

Winning

But that was indoors on a fast carpet which favoured her natural aggressive game.

No player, no matter how great, has produced a more spectacular start than Jo did yesterday, for in the first nine points she produced eight winning strokes. She won the first five games for a loss of seven points and took the first set 6-1 in 25 minutes.

A more difficult test was to come. Jo led 4-3 and had two points for 5-3 in the second set. At the first she netted a forehand, at the second a linesman called Miss Austin’s shot out, but instead of being given the game the umpire over-ruled the call. Miss Austin cashed in on her unexpected chance to win the next three games and take the set.

Many players would have fretted over such an experience and lost concentration. Not Miss Durie. She put it out of her mind. “It’s easy to panic when this happens against top ranking players, but I kept my head. I was determined not to blow it”, she said.

Slicing and keeping the ball low to Miss Austin’s two-fisted backhand; mixing with her length and pace, and once in a while producing a thumping forehand winner. Jo was soon back in the driving seat.

The final set in which she won only seven points was, in Miss Austin’s words : “The worst of my career.” No-one argued with her. It was also Jo’s best.

It was a clever and courageous performance, and Jo knows all about courage, for she was out of the game for nine months 2.5 years ago following surgery on her spine.

She came back to take over the British Number one spot from Sue Barker, the last British player to win here in 1976.

Coach Alan Jones said : “That was something special for a girl who was going nowhere not so long ago. Her comeback has meant a lot of guts and courage”.

Jo’s first mission after her remarkable success was to phone her parents, who had heard the result at home in Bristol.

Her parents had been in West Berlin last week to see Jo in the German Open where she lost in the third round to the American Pam Casale.

But they decided not to venture to Paris. “It’s a great pity we weren’t there to see what has probably been the most fabulous week in her career”, said Mrs Durie.

Old Jul 27th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #401
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH – Tuesday 31st May 1983
DELIGHTED DURIE TOPPLES AUSTIN

Jo Durie confidently and excitedly provided British lawn tennis yesterday with it’s finest individual moment since Virginia Wade won Wimbledon in 1977 by reaching the semi-finals of the French Open in Paris.

On the surface where her natural attacking talents would seem least likely to flourish and against an opponent whose game was made for clay, the Bristol girl, 22, player a marvellously smart as well as positive match to defeat fourth-seeded Tracy Austin 6-1 4-6 6-0.

Purely in tennis terms her progress past five Americans here, three of them seeds, arguably surpasses that by Sue Barker when, as top seed in the year that most of the leading players were absent, she became champion in 1976 without meeting a seed.

Earlier pointers

Four years of increasingly dedicated effort, interrupted first by four months necessary for a wrist operation and then, much more seriously, six months for a back operation has led to this breakthrough at the highest level two years ahead of the forecast of her London coach, Alan Jones.

In a sense, however, the signs were there first when she took a set from Martina Navratilova at Eastbourne last June and again when she led Miss Austin 4-0, 30-0 in Boston in March.

These matches included exactly the spells of inspiration needed to give the outwardly reserved and inwardly determined Miss Durie the encouragement to apply her obvious power with a freedom and sensible care.

On the centre court at Roland Garros where the Duchess of Gloucester, an avid tennis follower and the first member of the British Royal Family to visit these championships arrived minutes after Miss Durie struck her match-winning volley, these qualities shone in abundance.

Apart from one tentative spell towards the end of the second set when she lost two points for a 5-3, the second on a controversial over-rule by the Belgian umpire, Miss Durie was always in control and a third set need not have been necessary.

Constant pressure

Four of the first nine points brought wonderfully forthright winners from her and of the seven points she lost in moving 5-0 only one was in error. As Miss Durie kept reminding herself; “Just keep playing the way you are, she’s not doing anything to hurt me”.

Once she had recovered from that spell when her normally reliable backhand went adrift. Miss Durie kept thumping her forehand, slicing balls awkwardly to Miss Austin’s double-handed backhand and volleying and smashing whenever the opportunity was presented.

It was heady stuff. Miss Austin called the third set “one of the worst of my career”. Clearly she is a pale shadow of the player we recall 18 months ago, but at the same time Miss Durie played some of the best tennis of her life.

Miss Austin won only seven points in the final set, the last when Miss Durie double-faulted on the first of her match points and could afford the broad, apologetic grin.

Miss Durie, who also reached the quarter-finals of the women’s doubles with Anne Hobbs, next meets the 1977 champion, Mima Jausovec, the Yugoslav whose competitive toughness routed Kathy Horvath, the stunning victor over Miss Navratilova, 6-1 6-1.

In their only previous meeting this year Miss Jausovec lost on a fast carpet in Chicago but there will be great pressure on Miss Durie, who, for the first time since the second round, will be expected to win. She is ranked 27th in the world and Miss Jausovec 44th.

John McEnroe was back in the spotlight, happily proving this time in a 6-3 3-6 6-4 6-1 win over Eliot Teltscher that it is still possible for him to produce brilliant tennis, though well below his sustained best, while curbing his emotions at the same time.

Now for Wilander

Just occasionally there were ominous glares at linesmen which suggested he was having to work hard to keep his self-control, but McEnroe’s problem was his own serve.

He was broken in the opening service game of all four sets, but though Teltscher, attacking from the net far more than usual, and picking off some spectacular volleys, kept threatening an upset. McEnroe always seemed to have enough in reserve with which to respond.

McEnroe now meets defending champion Mats Wilander, 18, for the only time in competition apart from their epic Davis Cup indoor clash in St Louis last July when the American won after five sets and six hours 32 minutes.

Wilander was patience personified while establishing authority over fellow countryman Henrik Sundstrom, 19, but one hour 28 minutes over a 6-4 set is an awfully long time, even for Swedish enthusiasts. Wilander then sped it up, needing exactly one hour less over the second set, which he took 6-1. The third was 6-3.

Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:01 AM   #402
country flag HanaFanGA

The last time I saw Tracy play as a top player was Hilton Head of this year. Her form was decent, if not great. If her back was bothering her, she probably should've skipped the European clay season which can frequently have heavy conditions. But I do remember the second week of the French being hot and dry.

At any rate, I think this is a great win by Jo. To make a run to the semis on her weakest surface is quite a feat. I never saw the match with Tracy, but have watched some of the SF with Mima, a very good dirt baller, and I remember that match being close.

If she had beaten Mima, I wonder what that would have done for Jo's confidence and would it have had an effect on her results. As it was, she had a good year in 83.
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 04:59 PM   #403
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Recalling memorable comeback in qualifier
The Washington Times
Thursday, August 25, 1994
Josh Young

U.S. Open qualifying is being played this week at the National Tennis Center. Players are scrapping for one of the 16 spots in the singles main draw. Only the truest diehard tennis fans brave the trip to Queens for this one.

But every so often the qualifying provides a little morsel of tennis history. The second-round U.S. Open qualifying match on Aug. 27, 1983, between Barbie Bramblett and Ann Hulbert was one of those.

Hulbert won the first set 6-0, took a 5-0 lead in the second set and reached double-match point at 40-15 on Bramblett's serve. She was two points from that ultimate tennis embarrassment, a double bagel.

Bramblett, who was 18 at the time and had turned pro after two years at Pepperdine University, was so far behind that she forgot to be cautious. What happened over the next hour is the most unusual comeback in a professional tennis match.

"I remember thinking, `Well, I'm going to lose 0 and 0,' " recalled Bramblett, who no longer plays on the tour. "I just wanted to get off the court and forget about the whole thing."

So Bramblett began going for winners - and making them.

Bramblett saved the first two match points and held her serve for 1-5. She then broke Hulbert for 2-5, and won her own serve again for 3-5.

Word got out at the National Tennis Center that something was happening on Court 9. Someone had been down 6-0, 5-0, two match points, and she was coming back. People started gathering around the court that only had seating for about 200 people. Soon, it was standing room only.

"It started to get really crowded at the end of the second set," Bramblett recalled. "There was a court next to ours with a match on it, and the people watching that match started cheering when our points ended."

Hulbert had two more match points in the second set, at 5-4 on her serve. Just when it looked like her comeback might be thwarted, Bramblett saved those two match points as well and made it 5-5 in the second set. Two games later, Bramblett won the set.

Hulbert managed to get to 3-3 in the third set, but fate was clearly not on her side of the net that day. Bramblett won the next three games to close out the incredible comeback. The final score: Bramblett defeated Hulbert 0-6, 7-5, 6-3, in one hour, 40 minutes.

"I was just happy that I won," Bramblett said. "It wasn't even a big deal at the time, until people started coming up to me saying, `I can't believe what you did.' "

Although neither Hulbert nor Bramblett ever made her marks in the pros, the tale of this match grew and grew over the years. When I first contacted Bramblett, who now teaches tennis in Houston and paints, she remembered saving 20 match points.

But when the U.S. Tennis Association dug the scorecard out of its archives, I discovered it was only four. Still, what a comeback it was.

U.S. OPEN ON-LINE - Now you don't even need a television to follow the U.S. Open, which begins Monday and runs through Sept. 11. All you need is a computer.

USA Network is giving Prodigy users a "virtual tennis center" during its U.S. Open coverage, which includes mostly weekday coverage. Updated scores from the tournament can be accessed from any match in progress, and biographical information on players also will be available.

WILL WORK FOR FIRST-CLASS TICKET - Fred Perry, who in 1938 become the last British man to win Wimbledon, thinks that tennis is in good shape and is an exciting sport to watch. And he will tell you this in person - if you send him an airline ticket.

"If there is anything I can do to help the game anywhere in the world, I am happy to do so - provided that you pay the fare," Perry said.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #404
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

THE TIMES – Wednesday 1st June 1983
CONNORS NAGGED INTO DEFEAT

Jimmy Connors, champion of Wimbledon and the United States has been beaten in the quarter-final round of the French Championships for the third consecutive year. Connors has player here seven times without reaching the final. Yesterday’s defeat was his most humbling he has suffered in a Grand Slam tournament since he came to the fore a decade ago. He was beaten 6-4 6-4 7-6 by Christophe Roger-Vasselin, aged 25, who has a French father, an English mother and was born in London.

Roger-Vasselin is 6ft 2in tall but weight less than 12st. A lean, bony man with a modest, rather shambling bearing and a charming manner, he has long been regarded as exemplary in the way he has made the most of his natural talents that, at this level of competition are by no means exceptional. The rankings suggest that at present there are eight better payers in France and 129 better players in the world.

Roger-Vasselin was a little lucky to get into the draw here but has since seized his chances. Yesterday, rather like Arthur Ashe in the 1975 Wimbledon final, he deserted his natural attacking game because he thought the best way to play Connors was to deny him the speed on which he thrives and try not to make mistakes. He nagged away at Connors’ forehand and it worked perfectly because, as has often been the case on European clay, that forehand was embarrassingly unsound.

Roger-Vasselin, mind you, is not one of the game’s outstanding counter-punchers and it always seemed possible that Connors might take charge if he gambled on all-out attack. But Connors did not do so. There was a flicker of hope for him in the third set when he had two points for a 5-1 lead. “In that set I gave up mentally”, Roger-Vasselin said later. “I was dreaming. Then I felt tired physically and thought I should let the set go. But I had a few breaks and got my concentration back.”

To the great delight of the public, Yannick Noah, who is bursting with confidence these days, beat Ivan Lendl (who is not) 7-6 6-2 5-7 6-0. This means that Noah will play Roger-Vasselin in one semi-final and that France must therefore have a player in the final for the first time since Patrick Proisy was runner-up to Andres Gimeno in 1972. The other semi final will be between Jose Higueras or Guillermo Vilas and Mats Wilander or John McEnroe.

For a long time it seemed like this might be a thoroughly bad day for the United States and the two-fisted backhand. In the quarter-final round of the womens singles, Hana Mandlikova, unpredictable though she often was, often looked a much more gifted and versatile player than Chris Lloyd. But competitive ability is 50% character and it should be noted that Mrs Lloyd had won 10 consecutive matches against Miss Mandlikova at the cost of one set and, moreover, has never been beaten before the semi-final round of any of the 30 Grand Slam tournaments she had previously contested.

They had an enchanting match on an afternoon of bright, sultry heat. Play was interrupted in the second set by an uninhibited fist fight between two spectators, one of whom finished it off with a head butt at a time when he was losing on points. The umpire had to remind the public to concentrate on the spectacle on court where Miss Mandlikova eventually yielded rather despondently and was beaten 4-6 6-3 6-2.

Mrs Lloyd’s next opponent will be Andrea Jaeger, who beat her 6-3 6-1 in the same round last year. Miss Jaeger, who will be 18 on Saturday, had a 6-2 6-2 win over Gretchen Rush, aged 19. Miss Rush, who was checked by Miss Jaeger at the same stage of the United States championships, is in her first year at Trinity University, San Antonio, and cannot accept prize money because of the rules governing university terms.

Miss Rush so seldom competes at this level that she has no ranking and was granted a place in the draw only as an invited “wild card”. She is a robustly built, aggressive player of considerable promise, but has no intention of playing full time. After three more years studying physical education and biology, she hopes to have a career in physical therapy. In short, she just plays tennis for fun – when she cam spare the time.

Womens Singles – Quarter Finals

A Jaeger (US) bt G Rush (US) 6-2 6-2
C Lloyd (US) bt H Mandlikova (CZ) 4-6 6-3 6-2

Womens Doubles – Third round

R Fairbank (SA) and C Reynolds (US) bt L Antonoplis and K Jordan (US) 6-4 6-1

Womens Junior – First round

S Walpole (GB) bt A Danila (ROM) 6-4 6-2
A Holitrova (CZ) bt S Sullivan (GB) 6-7 6-3 6-1

Old Oct 11th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #405
country flag Matchpoint down

Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light Matchpoint down is a glorious beacon of light

In MN's book she says that her coach R.Richards gave her the order to stay at the baseline against Horvath. Later, Martina said, she was so strong at the net that she should have just played her game, no matter against who, no matter which surface. Maybe they thought that vs. Horvath that could be a good preparation match for a possible final vs. Evert.
It was a huge surprise, but on the other hand, during that time, Horvath was one of the, let's say, 8 best clay court players in the world. Before the French she reached the semifinals of Perugia (beating Ruzici) and the finals of the German Open (beating Bunge and Jaeger).
As for Austin, it was a golden opportunity for her to reach one last GS final cause she would have beaten Jausovec in the semis.
Matchpoint down is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote