Is Sharapova's shoulder acting up? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 8th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #31
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Sharapova's shoulder acting up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed_up View Post
And you expect her to say it out loud (in the case she did have some discomfort)? After how she handled the shoulder issue in 2008 and even last year (cold excuse for Rome and then the Cincy debacle - she got plasma shots without informing the media- unlike a Nadal situation for example), I don't expect her to reveal anything in public.

And even last year in Rome, RG, Cincy she never called the trainer, yet...

Anyway, I personally reckon that she has some discomfort at the least -there was a moment in the McHale match in which she made a face that reminded me a lot of that Cincy match- and also how she looks nervous as soon as her serve is not working. To me it speaks more of a " I know something is not right" situation rather than a worrying about losing the set/match so to speak.

And as another poster noted, it's not the percentage that is indicative, but the speed and boy if she's serving weak. Maybe she's doing it to protect her shoulder, but the thing is that she doesn't raise it when in danger, as if she isn't capable of doing it, not not wanting it.

Even last year against Vika at RG, when we now know she was in pain, she hit several high speed serve (180 and more km/h) that bailed her out several times. Now they are MIA.

In a nutshell, I think she still has problems, but she has them since her comeback this year. Obviously at the end of the day we will never know, just like we don't know the full story of what happened last year and the state of her shoulder. But for example I think her being emotional in the Stuttgart win has a lot to do with that. Just my two cents.
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #32
country flag atominside

atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future

Hes right you know. If the serve speed is in such disparity as compared to stuttgart tomorrow vs stosur, something is wrong
atominside is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #33
country flag Cecig

Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of

Today she was stretching his back a couple of times

https://twitter.com/Ce_Giovanniello
Cecig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #34
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

I have thought about how to ask something I have wondered about....try not to be offended.. I admit....seeing Maria play against McHale, along with a couple photos from the match reminded me of the question. Do women who play tennis at this level, ever have their performance affected because it is that time of the month....their period affects them either physically or mentally? I would be surprised if it does not happen to some players, some times. Even if only for ten minutes.
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #35
country flag fed_up

fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecig View Post
Today she was stretching his back a couple of times
Just kidding
fed_up is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #36
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
I have thought about how to ask something I have wondered about....try not to be offended.. I admit....seeing Maria play against McHale, along with a couple photos from the match reminded me of the question. Do women who play tennis at this level, ever have their performance affected because it is that time of the month....their period affects them either physically or mentally? I would be surprised if it does not happen to some players, some times. Even if only for ten minutes.

Steven had an interesting response to this comment .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Timmykinz View Post

Where did pova's belly come from? It was totally flat in Stuttgart!?
Quote:
it just means shes ovulating

so i think taht means a maria with cramps still wrecked a healthy li
I wondered about it Wednesday.......http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_555lo.jpg#
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #37
country flag fed_up

fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future

Quote:
Steven had an interesting response to this comment .....

I wondered about it Wednesday.......http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_555lo.jpg#
SgtTimmy would write that she's pregnant with Radek's kids if he could. Take everything he says about Pova with a grain of salt. I personally didn't see any difference, not even the HQ pictures Jimmie posted.
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #38
country flag nelsondan

That's fair enough....I remember running a you tube last October to show how ridiculous the rumours were about Maria being pregnant........I do wonder about my basic question.....whether time of the month ever affects anyone. If somebody could limit it to about ten minutes in a tennis match through sheer will..it would be Maria.
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #39
country flag fed_up

Quote:
That's fair enough....I remember running a you tube last October to show how ridiculous the rumours were about Maria being pregnant........I do wonder about my basic question.....whether time of the month ever affects anyone. If somebody could limit it to about ten minutes in a tennis match through sheer will..it would be Maria.
Well, being a woman - and I guess you being a man- I can tell you that yes, it can affect you. Just like a cold, fatigue, illness can affect you. Obviously it depends from woman to woman and even to the specific month.

Moreover, keep in mind that during that time of the month you are more prone to anemia, and that means being more tired/weak/difficulty to concentrate.
Obviously being who she is she has the best doctors/advisors who can give her the best medical options (advil, painkillers, diet, etc.) for her and also to plan in advance. So I think given that she's playing tennis every week even before she hit puberty, she knows how to handle these situations.

But to answer your question, yeah, it can be a bitch, especially if you are someone who has a painful cycle.
Also I remember an interview (the journo asked why at one point she started played badly so asked what happened) where JJ (who else? ) spoke about that saying that in the middle of a match she began feeling sick and had fits in her stomatch like knives and that she was lucky to have finished her match in two sets because in no way she would have endured that for another set.
She said " You know, it's not easy being a woman, you have to play even during that time of the month"

Last edited by fed_up : May 10th, 2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #40
country flag nelsondan

Thank you so much for such a straightforward, plausible account of possible situations. In this case, I thought all the stuff about the shoulder was maybe a little overdone.....Maria seemed to lose her focus for several minutes during that match against McHale.....no need to automatically say..."it is that time of the month", but like several other possibilities, it should not just be ruled out. I hope it is not....she would be about due again around the quarterfinals of the French. But, if so, it would not keep her from winning.