Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 7th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #46
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Venus Williams: Overachiever, Underachiever, Achieved Enough?

An overachiever outside grass (as she herself finally proved by apologising to Serena at the net after defeating her and winning her last hardcourt slam
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #47
country flag GameSetJJ
Delusional Jankobitch

GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute

underachiever, without Serena she would probably have gone down as the greatest female tennis player to ever have lived.

Bartoli Li Serena
GameSetJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #48
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

underachiever. definitely.

she underachieves in her fashion designing, too.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #49
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSetJJ View Post
underachiever, without Serena she would probably have gone down as the greatest female tennis player to ever have lived.
OMG not at all.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #50
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Venus is just a slight underachiever. She played lots of slams without having to face Serena and did not win those. At some point, you just have to accept that Venus' career is what it is. She will always be talked about in the history of tennis.
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #51
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

Underachiever but (this next part won't tickle Venus fans) i feel like Venus' career is looked at with rose colored glasses. She was only a TOP top player for about 2 years and from 2004- sjogrens/2011 so was very much an average top player( and outside of grass just plain old mediocre top 10/15 player). She is probably the player that get's the most exemptions or excuses from fans, and now i even see people claiming the sjogrens has been a cause of her weak results all the way back to 2004(!!).

And as for that WITHOUT SERENA talk, well without Serena Venus may not have even lasted this long. They drive and feed off one another just as much as Serena feeds off of adversity, proving doubters wrong and certain match ups. So with no Serena, Venus may not have had the fire or desire to achieve the utmost…...
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #52
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute

the turning point of Venus was Wimbledon 2003 to be honest.

That ruptured abdominal muscle injury she was never the same since I am not sure if that was when Sjorgens became a factor or as a result of the abdominal injury since she states 2004 was when she started to suffer from it but 2004 was also when she returned to the tour after the abdominal injury.

I really think the abdominal injury was the main cause especially initially as she seemed to lack the consistency she once had at majors as a result of the injury and was only a factor at WImbledon post 2003.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honzaneumannn View Post
So who will win the next 6 Wimbledons? Petra 2 of them, thats for sure. And dont even try to tell me that you see some hotter candidates than hers!
Marcus1979 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #53
country flag Bad Blood
大好き

Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute Bad Blood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stop copying me

bby

Bad Blood is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #54
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Venus lost 6 GS Finals to Serena.....Lets say she won all those matches, that would give her a total of 13....that doesn't even put her into the category of GOAT.
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #55
country flag Stamp Paid
Sir Camaraderie

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanban View Post
Why would only black children learn/know about her?!
I never said, "only?!"
They are the most important ones, though.

██████████████████ʘ
Ashe. Gibson. Williams. Williams.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #56
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartson View Post
Overachieved. Only a few weeks as #1 - pathetic result for a player who won 7 GS. That means she coudln't play on high level during a long period.
For example Henin was #1 of the year three times. Not even a contest
BLAH!!
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #57
country flag mirzalover

mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute mirzalover has a reputation beyond repute

Underachiever. All those slam loses to Serena and a couple of other chances at other GS she could have taken the title. I can definitely see why some would say she achieved just enough though.
mirzalover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #58
country flag Set It Off

Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute Set It Off has a reputation beyond repute

Venus; under achiever no, however, due to unfortunate circumstances, injuries and chosen time away from the game, she hasn't/didn't accomplished as much as I had initial thought and wished for her. Nevertheless, 45 career titles with 7 of them being majors is quite grand for the grand lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
Considering her abysmal results at 2 of the 4 Slams, her losing h2h against most of her rivals, and the fact that her athleticism covered up enormous technical deficiencies, she definitely overachieved.
Nonsenscial:

Bitterness

shinning through.
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #59
Sarindipity

Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute Sarindipity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkist View Post
serena's not gonna win it. you know it. it's a stupid award yes but she's not gonna get it. like that 18. it's not gonna happen. bye now.
Sarindipity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #60
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
I kind of think Venus was already somewhat declining even in 2002. Yes, she was still the 2nd best player on tour but people were already closing the gap on her. She was barely beating some of those girls. The ab injury did not help matters, but she was already beginning to struggle.

I think people choose to believe that had she not had the ab injury and Serena still got injured, Venus would have dominated the tour outright in 2003-2004 or even later than that. I don't really believe that, but whatever.
For somebody who was declining she still made 4 slam finals in a row. I don't get this "barely beating" either. She routined Henin in two slam SFs in this supposed period of decline.

And who would have stopped her from dominating the tour in 04 had she not gotten the ab injury? Myskina and Dementieva?

Compare this:

to this:

and it's clear that the ab injury had set her back significantly.

Last edited by Viktymise : May 7th, 2014 at 03:38 PM.
Viktymise is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote