The Mutua Madrid Open Trophy... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:54 PM   #1
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
The Mutua Madrid Open Trophy...

Are you a fan of it?
What do you like about it that sets it apart from other marque trophies?

I find the idea behind it is fascinating.

Quote:
Said Mr. Tiriac to Mr. Iten: "Create a trophy like no other, and one which honours every tennis player who ever made history in the game".

To begin the creation process, Roland took off to Spain for inspiration. He rented a castle high in the hills of Catalana and began sketching. In the same small village was a winery where Roland discovered a magnificant Spanish wine called "Scala Dei" -- literal translation-- Stairway to Heaven. The concept of the staircase to heaven fascinated Roland and became his inspiration for the trophy design and remains today its "unofficial" name. Said Roland Iten: I needed to find a design solution which honoured all the tennis greats equally. Winning a grand slam in 1970 involved a different skill set than it does today, not better or worse, just different. And each of the tennis players that have made history in the sport, from McEnroe to Williams, from Federer to Nadal, and to Margaret Smith herself, possess their own individual skill and style. So I created a small column, and I wrapped around it small tennis rackets, each racket inscribed with the name of the individual players who have won the most grand slams of all time. The 32 rackets comprise the "staircase" and each step is as important as the other, because if one step is missing, the staircase is incomplete".

The "one of a kind" trophy is the result of over 12 months of design and collaboration. Continued Roland " The manufacture of the trophy has been expertly executed by Wempe Atelier in Germany. My heartfelt thanks and congratulations is extended to this team which has meticulously replicated, down to every last fine detail, the complex design which I created".
However, from a distance, it looks so wrong.
Maybe they should have had a different design for the ladies.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote