Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 03:38 AM   #91
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Following the Family Tradition: Maria Sakkari

4-6 6-1 5-0 ret.
SF d. (8) Valentini Grammatikopoulou GRE (#549) 7-6(5) 6-0
F l. to (7) Pernilla Mendesova CZE (#545) 2-6 2-6
Only held serve once in the final

6-0 6-1 in doubles semis
F l. to Dzalamidze RUS/Grammatikopoulou GRE 7-6(6) 3-6 5-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
Finally some good results. If she doesn't win a title this year I have officially given up.
This is starting to get pathetic. I don't understand why she can't win a title. Usually when a player struggles in singles they still have no problems in doubles, but Maria must have an issue with finals because her record is terrible. When I saw she reached the singles and doubles finals here, I thought maybe it was her chance to win one of the titles. Clearly I was wrong. She did the same thing in one of the Greek 10K's last September, losing both finals. It's actually really sad. She played amazing tennis all week long and was handing out bagels and breadsticks to quality opponents and then folded like a cheap tent in her finals. She needs more experience to learn to deal with pressure since she sucks in finals and at Fed Cup.

This tournament was still an encouraging sign because it showed what she is capable of, I just wish she came away with one of the titles. I don't even know anymore how many singles and doubles finals she has lost. She needs to finally win one. I also hope it doesn't affect her in a negative way. Schiavone lost her first 7 finals and eventually won a slam title. Cibulkova also lost a lot of finals at the beginning of her career and this year she reached a slam final. Obviously WTA finals are different than ITF finals, but it's the same concept. Maria is still 18 and has practically nothing to defend until September, so hopefully she can have more good weeks and keep moving up the rankings

This week's 10K Heraklion, singles only (seeded 7th)
R1 d. Luisa Marie Huber GER (#761) 6-1 6-1
R2 vs. Demi Schuurs NED (#759)

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 03:41 AM   #92
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Last week in Heraklion:

Old Apr 24th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #93
country flag hellas719

4-6 6-3 6-2
QF vs. (3) Hilda Melander SWE (#403)

Old Apr 24th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #94
country flag hellas719

http://tennisnews.gr/net-stories/tn-...a-kanelopoulou
Here is an article about Maria's tennis family. Her grandfather was the one who spoke and mainly talked about how he started in tennis and how his daughter (Maria's mother) started. At the end it talks about Maria. He said he coached Maria for 6 years but now she is coached by an Italian. Other than that, he didn't say much else. He said she was very good from a young age, etc.

Maria with her mother:

Old Apr 26th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #95
country flag hellas719

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Old Apr 26th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #96
country flag hellas719

With Markos Kalovelonis:

With Agni Stefanou:

Old Apr 26th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #97
country flag hellas719

She won 6-2 6-0 over Melander
SF vs. (Q) Lou Brouleau FRA (NR)
*Brouleau is 18 and has a career-high of 516 so even though she's unranked, she's no pushover

Old Apr 29th, 2014, 04:39 AM   #98
country flag hellas719

6-2 6-3
F d. (1/WC) Despina Papamichail GRE (#391) 6-1 1-6 6-3

Strangely they had never played each other before in singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
Finally some good results. If she doesn't win a title this year I have officially given up.
I'm so happy for Maria. She FINALLY won a title after so many letdowns in finals. I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but hopefully this is a turning point for her and the start of something new and she can really rise up in the rankings the next few months

She's also ranked #539 now (new career-high) and she'll go up more next week once her points are added

Also at a new doubles career-high this week, #709

Old Jun 14th, 2014, 04:38 AM   #99
country flag hellas719

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
http://tennisnews.gr/net-stories/tn-...a-kanelopoulou
Here is an article about Maria's tennis family. Her grandfather was the one who spoke and mainly talked about how he started in tennis and how his daughter (Maria's mother) started. At the end it talks about Maria. He said he coached Maria for 6 years but now she is coached by an Italian. Other than that, he didn't say much else. He said she was very good from a young age, etc.

Maria with her mother:
They continued by interviewing Maria's mother Angeliki:
http://tennisnews.gr/net-stories/tn-...3-kanelopoulou

It basically focused on her mother's career. When she was 13, she went to train in Florida for a little. That's surprising to me since I'm sure it was very uncommon for a European girl to go do that back then. It's really interesting for those who read Greek. For example she said she never went to the Australian Open because the tickets were too expensive and it was considered the least prestigious of the slams. She beat 14 year-old Steffi Graf. She retired at 25 while ranked 120.

Another interesting thing she mentioned was that the Greek school system used to make it hard for tennis players. She said that under the current system, she could have finished two years earlier and would've been able to spend more time on her tennis and that she would've been able to achieve much more than the top 40, she said maybe even top 20. She also mentioned that when Maria played WTA Palermo in 2012, one of her chair umpires was someone who she had as an umpire during her career

She then talked about Maria and how Maria chose tennis completely on her own. She was very athletic from a young age and she tried many other sports but tennis was her favorite. Her mother even mentioned that she did ballet and it wasn't for her at all but watching Maria's ballet performances would provide many laughs for their entire family . One of her friends played tennis, so Maria decided to start because of that, at the age of 5.

Angeliki never wanted Maria to play tennis, so it's funny that she chose tennis completely on her own without knowing about her mother's career for most of her childhood (I've read in other articles that her mother tried to hide her career from Maria). When Maria was 11, she played her first national tournament in Lamia and she reached the final. From then on, her family realized that tennis was for her and her mother (I remember reading once that her mother was devastated at first when she found out Maria wanted to play tennis because she knew how hard it was) finally accepted Maria's decision to play tennis and from then on supported her.

Old Jun 14th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #100
country flag hellas719

10K Sweden:
R1 d. Jacqueline Cabaj Awad SWE (#827) 6-0 6-1
R2 d. (Q) Mirjam Bjorklund SWE (NR) 6-1 6-2
QF d. (WC) Kajsa Rinaldo Persson SWE (NR) 3-6 7-6(3) 6-3
SF d. (2) Olga Ianchuk UKR (#364) 6-1 6-2
F l. to (1) Conny Perrin SUI (#341) 5-7 0-6
She was leading 5-1 in the first set in the final and then lost the last 12 games

She did make up for it by winning the doubles title though
She did this without dropping a set and got revenge over Perrin in the final

10K Sweden:
R1 d. Emma Ek SWE (#1172) 6-1 6-1
R2 d. (Q) Julia Klackenberg SWE (NR) 6-1 6-2
QF d. (3) Hilda Melander SWE (#394) 7-5 6-4
SF d. (7) Christina Shakovets GER (#583) 6-4 6-1
F d. (5) Carolin Daniels GER (#465) 7-5 6-2

10K Spain:
R1 d. (WC) Lidia Moreno-Arias ESP (NR) 6-1 6-0
R2 d. (Q) Ksenia Kuznetsova RUS (NR) 6-4 7-5
QF l. to (4) Olga Saez-Larra ESP (#415) 7-6(0) 3-6 3-6
Olga ended up winning it all
Lost doubles SF 10-8 in STB to eventual champions

Currently up to a new career-high of 425

Old Jun 14th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #101
country flag hellas719

Old Jun 14th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #102
country flag hellas719

Training video:

Old Jun 14th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #103
country flag hellas719

10K Spain this week:
R1 d. (WC) Marta Hugi Gonzalez Encinas ESP (NR) 6-1 6-0
R2 d. (WC) Rocio de la Torre-Sanchez ESP (NR, former #347) 7-5 6-0
QF d. (8) Ioana Loredana Rosca ROU (#689, juniors #13) 6-4 6-1
SF vs. (6) Lucia Cervera-Vazquez ESP (#526)

I'm not sure where this form came from, but I can't complain
She has won 23 of her last 26 matches, and a lot of them coming with bagels and breadsticks

Old Jun 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #104
country flag Ollie.

Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute Ollie. has a reputation beyond repute

Maria

Rybarikova _ Hradecka _ K.Bondarenko _ Kleybanova _ Flipkens _ Govortsova _ Krajicek _ Martic _ Cetkovska _ Rezai _ Peer _ Begu _ Dulgheru _ Arvidsson _ Larsson _ Goerges _ Mattek-Sands _ Scheepers _ Peng _ Minella _ Puchkova _ Voegele _ Laine
Ollie. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #105
country flag Danii's Law

Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of

She won a title and the double and Despina did the same thing!! Great week! Great news!!

Daniilidou, Muguruza, Cornet, Azarenka, Lisicki, Stosur, Na, Date-Krumm, Cirstea,
Danii's Law is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote