Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012- - Page 124 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #1846
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

Spiceboy - forever the bearer of bad news

Well there we have it. I'm saddened but relieved.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1847
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the news Spiceboy. My prediction was way off though.

Not surprised in the slightest. I hope those withdrawals are to get month of solid hitting in her schedule.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #1848
country flag Tampering

Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a surprise since there's no news of her hitting balls.

Knowing how serious the injury is now she definitely should have started the clock on SR instead of playing that AO swing.

Bad medical diagnosis? foolishness youthful invincibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royals. View Post
Erm stop, thanks.
Just laying out a worst case. So what actually happens wont be nearly as bad.
Tampering is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #1849
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampering View Post
Not really a surprise since there's no news of her hitting balls.

Knowing how serious the injury is now she definitely should have started the clock on SR instead of playing that AO swing.

Bad medical diagnosis? foolishness youthful invincibility?

Just laying out a worst case. So what actually happens wont be nearly as bad.
I am thinking bad medical advice during the off season
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #1850
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Laura's scheduled to be taking part in the Rally for Bally. I'll be honest, I don't see her not taking part in that so she'll at least be playing some tennis this season.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #1851
country flag Tampering

Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute

Neil Harman's report in the Times is not encouraging.

I hope she's getting good medical advice now, because allowing her to practice through the injury as it got worse in the off-season, play in Australia, and resume practice in February was a disaster.

Also I hope she wasn't guilty of hearing what she wants to hear when she's talking to doctors. She needs to consider things very carefully going forward, this is season threatening and maybe even worse if they don't get the right diagnosis and treatment.
Tampering is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #1852
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, she should take her time. Might be the best option to just start with the US Open series even if she might be somewhat "ready" for Wimbledon, she'll have been out of competition for so long that decent results there will be very unlikely. And I think skipping everything until after Wimbledon should get her a protected ranking.
KatjaS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #1853
country flag Gruftgesänge

Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampering View Post
I hope she's getting good medical advice now, because allowing her to practice through the injury as it got worse in the off-season, play in Australia, and resume practice in February was a disaster.

Also I hope she wasn't guilty of hearing what she wants to hear when she's talking to doctors. She needs to consider things very carefully going forward, this is season threatening and maybe even worse if they don't get the right diagnosis and treatment.
It's difficult to apportion blame in these cases. Laura was certainly guilty of recklessness last summer when she took a mere three weeks off after tearing the sheath around her right wrist tendon in that 'freak' accident at Toronto, and gambled on a cortisone shot to play the US Open. It worked in the short term but it didn't give her wrist a chance to heal fully and she began to really struggle during the Asian swing. Miles Maclagan has remained mostly tight-lipped about his time coaching Laura but he did volunteer to the Press in Australia that Laura was so plagued by bronchitis and her aching wrist in Beijing that she could barely manage 10 minutes of practice. She had to drag herself out of her sickbed to play Kookie and Kerber.

She also behaved pretty irresponsibly at the start of this season when a doctor in Auckland discovered tendonitis and ligament damage in her left wrist. I'm not privy to what advice was given, but the severity of the pain she experienced in the match against Wickmayer in Hobart should surely have meant the end of her Australian campaign. Instead, she gave bizarre interviews in Melbourne before her match with Flipkens claiming that her wrist problem had almost "cleared up" and she'd been able to practice at full power for the first time since the off season. I don't know whether Laura was trying to deceive herself or the Press or both. The true situation was revealed on the match court and by an admittance to Simon Briggs of The Telegraph by a member of her team.

Quote:
The whisper from one of Laura Robson’s management team was that she should not even have played. She was here, and she was not in any imminent danger, but she was in no condition to go up against a top-20 player. Not when it is three months since she last completed a match.

Was he right? ... Robson had been restricted to a few half-intensity hits on the training court this week by tendinitis in her left wrist.
In Laura's defence, at least a couple of the doctors she has consulted have been both incompetent and negligent. I don't know how on earth the doctor in Florida she saw in the off season, when she first felt pangs of pain in her left wrist, failed to take her condition seriously and missed the signs of developing tendonitis even though her previous problems with the right wrist should have raised alarm bells. No one thought to adjust her training block or advise her to stop hitting. By the time she landed in New Zealand her wrist was as stiff as a board.

The manner of her loss to Flipkens at the AO must have been a chastening experience for Laura and, as far we can tell, she has done her best to be a model patient since returning to England in mid-January. Unfortunately her London doctor blundered badly by underestimating the time it would take for full-blown tendonitis to heal and gave Laura false hopes of an early return to the tour. It was clearly a mistake to recommend her to resume hitting after 4 weeks, when the expert opinion of Chanda Rubin - cited by Tampering - is that a player with a wrist tendon injury shouldn't even think of touching a racket for at least 12 weeks. The idea of practicing with sponge balls and table tennis balls - presumably to keep Laura's wrist 'mobile' - is scarily reminiscent of the daft advice Julia Görges was given last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
I am stunned that they still do not know what's going on with her wrist.
I think 'they' probably have reached a diagnosis now (after four months of wasted rehab) and Katja's speculation about the purpose of Laura's mystery trip to Düsseldorf is surely correct: Regenokine treatment. Laura has a back-up plan, as well, if that treatment fails: surgery. Needless to say, surgery will mean the complete loss of her 2014 season.

Hope springs eternal: Kim Clijsters injured her wrist before Miami in 2004, missed the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open after surgery to remove a cyst and then re-injured her wrist on her return. Her hysterical doctor warned the world's press that her career was probably finished: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3712082.stm

By the following March Kim's world ranking had slumped to no. 133. She came back, won Indian Wells, won her first Grand slam title at the US Open and finished the year as the world no. 2!
Gruftgesänge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #1854
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future
Well, it just seems that they are going to the next phase and not that they have found a definitive solution.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #1855
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Wolfe View Post
It's difficult to apportion blame in these cases.
Actually, it's really not. It's her team's fault. Laura acted how pretty much every athlete would in a similar situation. Namely to downplay, ignore and play in spite of any injuries she has. Laura's a tennis player, that's what she does, that's what she loves. She will do that unless she cannot. Her team's job in that situation is to not let her. They monumentally failed in this regard at every stage. Whether it was at the end of last season, the off season, the start of this season, the botched rehab after AO. Every stage was another failure. Her team must have known Laura would act like her injury wasn't serious, they just let her screw herself over.

To underscore how common this is, here's a list of people what Laura has that I personally know:
  • Competing with a severely infected face wound. She needed to go to hospital, but didn't until the next day. Despite the fact that it was weeping.
  • training and competing with a broken finger
  • competing not even 10 minutes after having an asthma attack. She was unable to walk after performing but did so again the next day.
  • Three people that broke their feet/ankles yet continued to train in spite of it. One of these people also has a bad shoulder and tendonitis in his knees.
  • Someone else who injured his ankle during the routine, continued, threw his tumbles. They have refused to get it x-rayed.
  • Someone with a back injury competing multiple times within 24 hours without wearing their back brace.
  • Competing with a broken collarbone. Said person is a physical wreck in general as a result of playing American Football as well.
  • Competing after being given news that one of their grandparent is dying, then getting to their bedside ASAP.
  • Competing for years with a nose broken so many times its impossible to breathe through.

That list was just off the top of my head, and only containing people that I know personally. It is by no means complete, and I could cite just as many cases for people I don't personally know but my point should be made. I think Laura acted like a fucking idiot, which is exactly how I would expect an injured athlete to act. The failure is that she was allowed to.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #1856
country flag guichard

She is having surgery , she will miss French and Wimbledon (@davidlawtennis
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1857
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

From twitter

Quote:
@laurarobson5 has announced that she will miss the French Open due to minor wrist surgery, same doc as @delpotrojuan
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1858
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Sad too hear
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #1859
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

So the injection thing was rejected?

It's a shame she didn't have the surgery earlier in the year. I hope for a safe surgery and steady recovery.

Good luck!
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #1860
Royals.

FB Message.

Quote:
I wanted to inform my lovely supporters that I have decided to have minor wrist surgery at the Mayo clinic with one of the best wrist doctors in the world, Dr. Richard Berger. Dr. Berger is very confident that I will be able to return to the tennis court pain free before you even have time to miss me Although sadly, I will have to miss the French Open and Wimbledon.
She should get a protected ranking now aswell. Does anyone know how they work?