Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 7 - Page 87 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #1291
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 7

Next up is vacation. Then clay, so that will tell what her effort level and motivation level is all about.
I think if she wants to compete and play smart, she's not that far away.
She wont be holding 9 titles in 12 months like 3 years ago, but I can see her in 9 semis in a year, with a few finals and a title or 2 or 3.

But she has to compete, mentally and physically. Its hard work, and most of the other players are very motivated. Even the few others who have a lot going on, off court, like Serena, Maria, Li.. they are all motivated and work hard. And they compete hard to win as many matches as they can.
Caroline will have to do that also to get long term good results
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 7th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #1292
country flag Blackowl_1

Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all Blackowl_1 is a name known to all

Her first clay tournament is Stuttgart,with 7 top 10 players and last person on the main draw entry list is Cirstea (ranked 27) Strong entry list,hope she can win a match or two And off the topic question - what do you think Caroline's biggest chance to win a grand slam was?
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #1293
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackowl_1 View Post
Her first clay tournament is Stuttgart,with 7 top 10 players and last person on the main draw entry list is Cirstea (ranked 27) Strong entry list,hope she can win a match or two And off the topic question - what do you think Caroline's biggest chance to win a grand slam was?
AO 2011. Match point up vs Li, and Clijsters was well below her best in the final, and had arguably began her decline by this point, from a time where Wozniacki had just played a close 3 setter with her 3 months earlier.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #1294
country flag RU90

RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of RU90 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
AO 2011. Match point up vs Li, and Clijsters was well below her best in the final, and had arguably began her decline by this point, from a time where Wozniacki had just played a close 3 setter with her 3 months earlier.
Perfect answer

I actually remember one of my friends saying (after that AO ended) that that was her best chance to win a Grand Slam.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #1295
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackowl_1 View Post
If not the AO 11 like ozza said I say the RG 11 the draw had broke down so much for her and all the top seed lost early but caro herself lost early she look very much fatigue heading into that RG. I hope she can make another Slam final even through it look very unlikely at this point sadly
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #1296
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Caro was in a slam final and I didn't think Kim was playing that well. But Caroline did not play well, especially near the end.
Thats a slam final and you have to compete hard every point no matter what.
Then in 2011 AO she fell apart after not closing out that semi. But no guarantee she wins that slam final.

It turns out that closing out sets and finishing well in close sets is a big problem in her career.
That was in clear in her last 2 losses. She was up 54 and 53 against Li.
2 close sets with Ivanovic.
Against Muguruza at the 2014 AO she was up 64 54 and lost 8 of 9 games. Lost a close AO match to Kuznetsova in 2013.
You have to play well when it matters most. She's certainly had chances at majors and a YEC.

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #1297
country flag KatChr

KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all

God you guys are a tough crowd to please!

All the comments that Caro has to really want this? Seriously? She is one of the hardest working players on the tour - despite her off court schedule. This has been confirmed several times by other players, coaches etc.

What we are seeing here is a girl who completely lost her confidence, because the whole world spent 2 years telling her that she was shit! Now she is actually starting to gain confidence again - which is really though. Look at Jankovic for instance. She was completely off and could loose any match. Now she is back in the top10 - not because her game has changed, but because she has confidence again!

If Caro succeeds in doing the same - then I would for one be very impressed. First step in getting there is beating players ranked lower than her... As someone mentioned in previous post, then she will statistically get the chance to beat the higher ranked players as well if she does so...

So in my book - this is looking very promising - and I cant wait to follow her the rest of this season!
KatChr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #1298
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatChr View Post

So in my book - this is looking very promising - and I cant wait to follow her the rest of this season!
I think the next few months on clay will tell more of the story.
If you win a lot of matches and dont win a major, you get criticised.
Safina in 12 months was in 3 slam finals and an Olympic Gold medal match.
And she gets criticised, like something was wrong with her.
Caroline won 12 tournaments in 2010 & 2011 without getting to a slam final either year.
In sports, a lot of people think championships matter. Moreso than great results leading to the big events.
LeBron James took a ton of criticisms, until he won titles.
Criticism by some of the media is not like a major injury. Its not an excuse to never win a title anymore

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #1299
country flag KatChr

KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all KatChr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Criticism by some of the media is not like a major injury. Its not an excuse to never win a title anymore
True - but tennis is a mental game. So loss of confidence is a big factor - and for some ends up being a bigger obstacle than an injury.

With an injury you work hard to get better, and at some point you are cleared - and as good as new. However, from when you decide to work on the lacking confidence to you actually see the difference - can take months or years. Because this isn't only at your own racquet.

Dementieva didn't have serve problems in practice - neither did Ivanovic. But come match time then all the good was gone along with their confidence.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #1300
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatChr View Post
True - but tennis is a mental game. So loss of confidence is a big factor - and for some ends up being a bigger obstacle than an injury.

With an injury you work hard to get better, and at some point you are cleared - and as good as new. However, from when you decide to work on the lacking confidence to you actually see the difference - can take months or years. Because this isn't only at your own racquet.

Dementieva didn't have serve problems in practice - neither did Ivanovic. But come match time then all the good was gone along with their confidence.
Safina had a serious back problem that ended her career.
I always thought Dinara had bad luck. She was #1 when Serena was playing, then got injured while still #1 but before she won a major.

That Caroline started losing in mid-2011 might have been burnout, maybe meeting Rory, maybe loss of confidence because she was criticised.
But now its mid-2014 and Caroline has won one title since 2012, Luxembourg. So I dont know what happened or what will happen. But I know she used to have much better results than now

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #1301
country flag wozniackiaus

wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future

Great time to be playing well in tennis. I think someone will win their maiden slam this year - probably aga. A lot about caro and the tour in General will become more clear after this clay season I think :/

IVANOVIC KIRILENKO BOUCHARD VIKA

TT - SINGLES - 153 DOUBLES - 177
SINGLES TITLES - PRAGUE 2014
wozniackiaus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #1302
country flag goldenlox

It doesn't take much to turn things around. Just one really good major, followed by some decent results, and she's back.

Its the same with Rory. He has a big Masters, and last year will seem far away.
If Caro could have a big major, which I thought was possible at all these hardcourt majors, she can be right back in the top 8, a contender, almost back to where she was.

That is the frustrating part. So close, yet so far. Like the losses to Giorgi and Muguruza. She's up a set and then she's out. And instead of Caroline, its Pennetta or Cibulkova who are having their best major ever

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 06:00 AM   #1303
country flag KatChr

Of course we would all love if it could be Caro talking advantage of a good draw in one of the slams... But with her getting more confidence she should be able to go through the first couple of rounds - which increases the possibility of a "best" major...
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #1304
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think 'lack of confidence' is just another excuse. It's been 3 years now. 3 years.

Burisleif (who hasn't been around for a long time) kept going on and on and on and on about, how change takes time. 3 years. Is that time enough?

Anyhoo, even if Caroline is low on confidence, it's her responsibility to fokking do something about it. Hire a coach ... Nah, scratch that. Been there, done that, saw the movie and bought the t-shirt.

Hire a sports psychologist ... Now there's a thought. But as she hasn't (as far as we know), she probably doesn't see confidence as that big a deal.

IMHO it's technical deficiencies, notably on the FH wing. When a player cannot hit 3 FH rally shots in a row without netting the ball, its a technical deficiency rather than lack of confidence. Again imho of course.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #1305
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Personally, I think 'lack of confidence' is just another excuse. It's been 3 years now. 3 years.

Burisleif (who hasn't been around for a long time) kept going on and on and on and on about, how change takes time. 3 years. Is that time enough?

Anyhoo, even if Caroline is low on confidence, it's her responsibility to fokking do something about it. Hire a coach ... Nah, scratch that. Been there, done that, saw the movie and bought the t-shirt.

Hire a sports psychologist ... Now there's a thought. But as she hasn't (as far as we know), she probably doesn't see confidence as that big a deal.

IMHO it's technical deficiencies, notably on the FH wing. When a player cannot hit 3 FH rally shots in a row without netting the ball, its a technical deficiency rather than lack of confidence. Again imho of course.
Her backhand also can make errors in key moments. Her forehand is still the side that can really fall apart. Also her serve is not reliable at the end of close sets.

Yet she's made 2 semis and a quarter in her last 4 tournaments and all 4 losses were to good players:
Venus when she had her best week, Li (current #2), close match with Ana. The weak loss was to Jankovic in California.
When those are your last 4 tournaments, it doesnt seem as far away as when Muguruza & Wickmayer are beating her in early rounds.

So the next step is to keep getting through draws to play former #1's or #2's on clay. Dont have excuses. Fight for these matches. That will also help confidence, if she can win matches on clay with nothing to defend