On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 334 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 07:14 PM   #4996
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

I like those last two stories Bruce.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 07:25 PM   #4997
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I like those last two stories Bruce.
Glad you liked it; there's something undefinably cute about most all baby animals.

Btw, since this thread is almost done as we approach 5,000 posts, I'd be interested in knowing whatever happened in that war between the Vorlons and the Shadows. I rarely watched Babylon 5 because I wanted to put reasonable limits on my sci-fi viewing, but it was fun to check out once in a while

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 07:44 PM   #4998
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Glad you liked it; there's something undefinably cute about most all baby animals.

Btw, since this thread is almost done as we approach 5,000 posts, I'd be interested in knowing whatever happened in that war between the Vorlons and the Shadows. I rarely watched Babylon 5 because I wanted to put reasonable limits on my sci-fi viewing, but it was fun to check out once in a while
Is there a way to do a spoiler box in a post on this board? I'd rather not say it directly on the off chance that someone reading this thread was currently watching the show or interested in watching it at some point. It's a pretty big spoiler and I'd prefer not to potentially undermine someone's viewing experience.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 08:26 PM   #4999
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is there a way to do a spoiler box in a post on this board? I'd rather not say it directly on the off chance that someone reading this thread was currently watching the show or interested in watching it at some point. It's a pretty big spoiler and I'd prefer not to potentially undermine someone's viewing experience.
Well, you could just send me a PM if you wanted. It's not a big issue for me but I thought I'd ask since you're obviously a fan

On a similar note, I wasn't a totally-rabid TNG follower, but I was an unashamed fan of the show. One of my acquaintances was REALLY a huge fan, and he was fascinated by 'Q' so I don't think that he was capable of being objective when I said that Nagilum was more powerful than Q. If you'll recall, Troi sensed Q's presence almost right away in the first encounter, yet she was oblivious when they first fell into Nagilum's "cloud". Only afterwards was she able to sense him in a subtle way

Another point is that Nagilum was powerfully telepathic whereas Q had to observe and ask questions to learn information

The final argument in Nagilum's favor is that Q was fearful of human influence in the galaxy, thus provoking his interventions. Nagilum got bored with the crew and moved on after conducting his one experiment. There's obviously no way to prove any of this empirically, but the evidence tells me that Nagilum was a higher life form than Q, and I'd say also more refined and less impulsive, emotionally. Q was sort of like one of those fickle,immature pagan gods from mythology who acted on whims.....at least that's MY take

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #5000
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

You'd almost think Odoriferus' speech pattern is, like, based on Caro, y'know!?
http://asterixonline.info/comics/ind...ter=27&page=22

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Mar 30th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
C. W. Fields is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #5001
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
You'd almost think Odoriferus' speech pattern is, like, based on Caro, y'know!?
http://asterixonline.info/comics/ind...ter=27&page=22
Perhaps the comic writer is a huge Sunshine fan. Who could blame him?

Btw, since we've now exceeded 5,000 posts here, my work here is done, basically. Anyone is welcome AND encouraged to start a new off-topic thread

Old Apr 5th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #5002
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

So, Bruce, a Caro vs Ivanovic SF! Any chance of you making the trip to Monterrey today to boo Ivanovic cheer for Caro?
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #5003
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
So, Bruce, a Caro vs Ivanovic SF! Any chance of you making the trip to Monterrey today to boo Ivanovic cheer for Caro?
I've gone pretty easy on Ana in the last 4 months or so, even congratulating her when she won. Upon reflection, I've seen that it's not Ana's fault that the WTA's 'Empower Women' theme is a big joke/fraud. It's gotten far worse under Allaster's watch, and a more honest theme would be, "Over-hype Wannabe Cover Girls." There can't be a sport that's even remotely close when it comes to a commissioner's office that uber-markets superficially-attractive athletes who really don't give a microscopic crap about either their on-field/court/whatever results OR the sport's health...as long as the money rolls in.

At least Ana won a Slam before she was so heavily force-fed on the sporting public. She's now been replaced, basically, by a younger flavor-of-the-month, Bouchard, who's only REACHED one final...at an age when Ana had already won several Premier titles on top of her RG crown. I'm sure that hasn't escaped Ana's attention. I actually feel sorry for her as she's 26 and still struggling mightily with her psychological demons, with no end in sight. Bashing Ana now is sort of cruel, like kicking a boxer on the canvas after he's already been knocked out.

So no, my friend, I won't be booing Ana--regardless of whether or not you cross out the suggestion. It's enough to cheer for Caro, our lovely Danish Sunshine, without booing her opponent. Besides, Monterrey is a fairly expensive town even when you don't buy tennis tickets. On top of that, the 12-hour eastward trip has a stretch of highway that's notorious for carjacking...so I wouldn't make that journey without some of my buddies who have some rifles that are good for blasting carjackers heads off(they pretty much always back off when you start shooting at THEM before they've gotten that close to your car). Fortunately, this is one of the few tourneys when Mexican sports channels actually show women's tennis

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #5004
country flag Protoss

We need some weird stats from C.W. Fields.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #5005
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
We need some weird stats from C.W. Fields.
Like WHAT? Maybe first-serve percentage while picking nose?

Congrats to Ana, btw; she seems to be handling her nerves a LITTLE bit better as long as it's a smaller event

Update on the schnauzer mix puppies: "Zukie" originally had nine but two of them died shortly after birth. I saw the other seven nursing normally yesterday and we(that is, my inlaws) even got a phone call from a decent, wannabe adopter......not for all seven, of course...at least not yet

Old Apr 13th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #5006
country flag bruce goose

Puppy Update: The runt of the litter died 2 days ago, but the remaining six have all fattened up to a very healthy extent.

Saw a quote from Hingis a little while back, and I can't blame her for trying to put her dubs partner over with the general, tennis-viewing public, but.......well.....I'll give emphasis to the most interesting parts. Hingis said that Sabine Lisicki was known throughout the WTA as someone who NEVER QUIT and that she ALWAYS KEPT FIGHTING UNTIL MATCH'S END.

In other surprising news, a Stalin biographer recently claimed that Jozef was known throughout Russia and the former Soviet Bloc states as a leader who was NEVER BRUTAL and that he ALWAYS KEPT A KIND, GENTLE DEMEANOR.....

Old Apr 17th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #5007
country flag bruce goose

Some breaking news just announced by WTA "leader" and transcendentally-brilliant visionary genius, Stacy "Anything for Money" Allaster:

If Genie Bouchard actually wins a tourney someday, any currently-pregnant WTA employees will be LEGALLY BOUND to name their daughters "Eugenie"...while boys will be legally allowed to get named "Eugene" or, for people of Italian or Latino descent, "Eugenio" will be permitted. In addition, Bouchard will get her own permanent sub-heading on the WTA webpage that will serve as an adjunct for her personal site, and she will have a troupe of flower girls who prepare the way for her by dropping petals before her footsteps, along with a team of trumpeters to announce her arrival at any publicly-accessed venue, including libraries and funeral homes.

If she merely reaches another final and loses again, THEN she'll only get the team of trumpeters(from amongst the rewards mentioned above, that is), plus a "new" WTA webpage feature every 5 days that narrates how superhuman she is while explaining/rationalizing why she hasn't won a tournament yet

Old Apr 20th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #5008
country flag bruce goose

My gf's mom had her poodle-mutt(mixed breed) groomed yesterday, so I took her to pick him up from the groomers. I could be totally off base here(only the Lord knows for sure), but I get the impression that some dogs don't enjoy the forced loss of hair...that they feel sort of naked and embarrassed without it......kind of like a conservative gal who's forced at gunpoint to put on some sleazy stripper outfit

Old Apr 21st, 2014, 04:25 PM   #5009
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Some breaking news just announced by WTA "leader" and transcendentally-brilliant visionary genius, Stacy "Anything for Money" Allaster:

If Genie Bouchard actually wins a tourney someday, any currently-pregnant WTA employees will be LEGALLY BOUND to name their daughters "Eugenie"...while boys will be legally allowed to get named "Eugene" or, for people of Italian or Latino descent, "Eugenio" will be permitted. In addition, Bouchard will get her own permanent sub-heading on the WTA webpage that will serve as an adjunct for her personal site, and she will have a troupe of flower girls who prepare the way for her by dropping petals before her footsteps, along with a team of trumpeters to announce her arrival at any publicly-accessed venue, including libraries and funeral homes.

If she merely reaches another final and loses again, THEN she'll only get the team of trumpeters(from amongst the rewards mentioned above, that is), plus a "new" WTA webpage feature every 5 days that narrates how superhuman she is while explaining/rationalizing why she hasn't won a tournament yet
I'm not a fan persé, but I'm a believer where Bouchard's potential is concerned. It doesn't matter that she hasn't yet won a tournament. What is important is that she keeps improving because like with all youngsters it's not about how good she is but about how good she will be. And it's easy enough to understand why Allaster is keen on her. Like it or not, pretty girls help to sell the game.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!  
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 04:55 PM   #5010
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I'm not a fan persé, but I'm a believer where Bouchard's potential is concerned. It doesn't matter that she hasn't yet won a tournament. What is important is that she keeps improving because like with all youngsters it's not about how good she is but about how good she will be. And it's easy enough to understand why Allaster is keen on her. Like it or not, pretty girls help to sell the game.
Ummmm....You're missing the point just a bit, Gaston. It's not that we can't understand why she's getting hyped, it's that it's rather EXCESSIVE for someone who has accomplished VERY little and, like Kournikova, could conceivably NEVER win a single tourney.('per se' should be separated, btw)You're correct, though, in that she couldn't have reached the top 20 if she didn't have at least SOME potential for greatness.

The PROBLEM is that Allaster disgraces the sport by championing players who don't give a rat's ass--and are piss-poor role models for young girls and the supposed "empowering women" theme--merely because they're eye candy. You'd be pressed to name ANY other sport that does this; if Messi got so out of shape that he kept getting hopelessly exhausted 15 minutes into matches....and he made absolutely NO effort to improve his training....would he keep getting hyped according to his PAST glories, or would his stardom wane due to his embarrassing disinterest?? That's a rhetorical question, so you needn't reply...but a WTA cover girl could do that and not suffer ANY loss of hype from the WTA media machine...as long as she smiled for her promos

With her outward physical appearance, it IS easy to see why Bouchard is pushed but, recently, she's gotten the same level of hype as Serena or Big Masha.....and that's just pathetic, Gaston

Closed Thread