Week 1 Ranking New - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #91
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future
Re: Week 1 Ranking New

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
Alma- I trust you...

The Gators face 6 of 8 ranked teams, after Indoors, but the next 8 games doesn't appear to be against any ranked teams.
True. After the Alabama/Auburn matches it doesn't look like Florida will play any teams that will be in their countable wins except maybe Vanderbilt. Then of course the SEC tournament again where they could pick up wins against highly ranked TAMU, Alabama, or UGA.

The PAC-12 is hurt by not having a team championship at the end of the season.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #92
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
True. After the Alabama/Auburn matches it doesn't look like Florida will play any teams that will be in their countable wins except maybe Vanderbilt. Then of course the SEC tournament again where they could pick up wins against highly ranked TAMU, Alabama, or UGA.

The PAC-12 is hurt by not having a team championship at the end of the season.
This may result in grouping the PAC-12 teams in one section of the draw in NCAA's...
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #93
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This may result in grouping the PAC-12 teams in one section of the draw in NCAA's...
Should that happen, I can't expect Stanford to repeat last year's run

But anything is possible!
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #94
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
This seems to be a down year for the Pac-12 (as far as the rankings go) so UCLA and Stanford may not move much in the rankings. Is that a correct assessment?
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #95
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
This seems to be a down year for the Pac-12 (as far as the rankings go) so UCLA and Stanford may not move much in the rankings. Is that a correct assessment?
Cal will move up next week since they have a win over now #3 Georgia, but you're right there aren't a lot of remaining opportunities for the PAC-12 to get more matches. Both UCLA and Stanford play each other, USC, and Cal one more time. Unlike the ACC and SEC, there isn't a PAC-12 championship tournament which provides an opportunity to get additional wins.
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #96
country flag tie_breaker

2007-2008 was the last year that Stanford played USC/UCLA/Cal twice a year.

Since then Stanford plays Cal twice a year, but USC/UCLA only once. I remember that was discussed once, but the more I think about it, what's the point of having a strong Pac-12 division and only having to play once against them? Might help the rankings some...
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #97
country flag tie_breaker

Quote:

Since then Stanford plays Cal twice a year, but USC/UCLA only once. I remember that was discussed once, but the more I think about it, what's the point of having a strong Pac-12 division and only having to play once against them? Might help the rankings some...
On the other hand, Cal has been playing everybody twice (Stan/UCLA/USC) so they have the best chance of ranking high, but not so being the 3rd/4th best team in the conference...
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #98
country flag Amalgamate

Quote:

It might be because there are more teams in the Pac-12 now then there were several years ago, and you are required to play a certain number of times. But as I've said before, the Pac-12 is definitely hurt by being the only conference (I think?) to have an individual tournament at the end of the season and not a team tournament. Whereas teams in the SEC and ACC have chances to play schools in the regular season and get more wins in the conference tournament, Stanford doesn't have that opportunity. You only count your top 10 wins going in to NCAA's so one, two, or three extra wins over highly ranked teams helps significantly. (E.g. if Georgia got additional wins in the SEC tournament over Florida, TAMU, and Alabama or Duke getting wins over UVA and UNC).

Also: there are typically more mid-ranked teams in the ACC and SEC than in the Pac-12. Teams like Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame aren't threatening to win the ACC's but all typically have top 25 rankings unlike Oregon, Colorado, Washington St.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #99
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
Also: there are typically more mid-ranked teams in the ACC and SEC than in the Pac-12. Teams like Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame aren't threatening to win the ACC's but all typically have top 25 rankings unlike Oregon, Colorado, Washington St.
Weird comparison.

Top 25 teams;

ACC 6
SEC 6
PAC12 5

Were it not for the weird 'expansions' (TAM & UND), the # will be the same 5 for all 3 conferences.

I would understand if you compared those ACC teams to ASU, Utah, Arizona
& Washington and argue that those 4 ACC teams are better, but..

About Ojai, I'd rather watch Davidson vs Doyle than watch ANOTHER USC vs UCLA match(that'll be 3, not counting countless individual matches during the Slams and Regional) If it negatively affects team rankings compared to other conferences, so be it (besides, it might have a beneficial effect in individual rankings, no?)

Quote:

That's the thing we always wonder, since Cal is still playing So. Cal teams twice.

Really, you can't complain about Stanford being underranked when they

1. Don't play USC/UCLA more
2. Play UF
3. Skip Indoors

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by fantic : Mar 20th, 2014 at 03:52 AM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #100
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:

Not that it matters, but in 2009-2010 Stanford was scheduled to play both So Cal team for home and away, but one of the USC matches was rained out.

For 2010-2011 there was also home and away for UCLA and Stanford.

But I think its just big state geography that adds a complexity to the ranking points chase for the top pac 12 teams. There are not that many teams within 1,000 kilometers that have ranking that will add meaningful points. Form and Gouci, we hope to see your teams ranked in the 25 to 45 area.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 05:19 AM   #101
country flag tie_breaker

I was impressed by St. Mary's.

Especially a player like Jullien, who's practically beaten everybody on the Stanford line-up.
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #102
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

New rankings are out.

Rank Average Team Previous Week
1 72.42 Duke University 1
2 70.21 UCLA 2
3 69.62 University of Virginia 6
4 67.26 University of Florida 5
5 66.68 Stanford 4
6 66.49 University of Alabama 8
7 64.55 Texas A&M University 7
8 64.34 North Carolina 10
9 63.04 University of Georgia 3
10 61.82 Vanderbilt University 11
11 61.52 Northwestern University 9
12 55.39 University of Southern California 12
13 55.38 California 16
14 53.13 University of Miami (Florida) 13
15 45.19 University of Michigan 15
16 44.90 Baylor University 14
17 42.46 Clemson University 18
18 38.65 University of Oklahoma 17
19 33.80 Arizona State University 25
20 33.51 Auburn University 20
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #103
country flag tie_breaker

Massey Ratings thru 23-March:

Rank Team Record
1 Stanford 10-0
2 UCLA 15-1
3 Duke 15-1
4 Georgia 13-3
5 Florida 13-4
6 Alabama 15-2
7 North Carolina 15-3
8 Virginia 12-4
9 Texas A&M 13-3
10 California 10-4
11 Miami FL 14-2
12 Vanderbilt 14-4
13 Northwestern 8-3
14 Michigan 10-3
15 USC 10-4
16 Clemson 14-3
17 Baylor 11-6
18 Oklahoma 11-3
19 Arizona St 16-2
20 Arizona 14-1
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #104
country flag desariofan

desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold desariofan is a splendid one to behold

UF went up to #4??? girl...
desariofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 11:15 PM   #105
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by desariofan View Post
UF went up to #4??? girl...
how we love to second guess the rankings.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote