** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3 - Page 82 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 10th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #1216
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3

interview's filled with sneaky tirades on vika and serena hidden beneath layers of sugarpova saccharine goodness
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 10th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #1217
WowWow
mhmmm

WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute WowWow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Drone View Post
Maria Sharapova calls for three-set Grand Slam matches for men
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/26469808

Right on!
Cuz ain't nobody got time for 5 set matches.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #1218
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

Federer is demanding 7 sets, to make it more like baseball's world series. Good idea. Sometimes people might be able to sweep it in only four.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #1219
country flag Fiercepova
JJ Project - BNior

Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future Fiercepova has a brilliant future

C. GIORGI/M. Sharapova

6‑3, 4‑6, 7‑5

An interview with:
MARIA SHARAPOVA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Hard to find rhythm in that match. A lot of breaks. Was it an instance of you just didn't have it there? Was it something she was doing to cause you problems?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it was a combination. I did not play a good match at all, and, you know, I started very poorly. Never played against her, but she's someone that doesn't give you much rhythm. She's quite aggressive, but some shots she hits incredible for a long period of time. Sometimes they go off a bit.
But, you know, if I'm speaking about my level, it was nowhere near where it should have been.

Q. What do you think the cause of that was? Bad day or something bothering you otherwise, I guess.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, nothing else bothering me. I guess just a bad day.

Q. What was the discussion near the end there with the umpire? What was that about?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Just because I heard the call from her box rather than from the line judge first, which wasn't right at the beginning. Then I asked her why that happened and she thought I challenged the ball, which I have no problem admitting if I challenged a call.
Then she went with it and I had no challenges left. It's not a big deal, but, I mean, I have no problem admitting if I challenged a call. I'm not sure why she wouldn't believe me if I wasn't challenging it actually. But I guess I was giving, you know, the hand gesture just because I had the out call from the sidelines rather than from the line judge.

Q. What did she say to you, the umpire?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: She says that the crowd has nothing to do with the match. And, yes, he did call the ball out before the line judge did, but that's just external interference and that has nothing to do. Just have to keep playing, which is fine.
And then she thought by doing that I was challenging the call, so...

Q. In Melbourne you said that officials didn't really know what was going on in terms of the heat. Do you think there should be a kind of rule if there is not one already about a friend's box calling lines, calling...
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm sure it's the heat of the moment, but I don't think he had any right to call out the ball before the line judge did. The ball was still out. There is no argument there. It's just the fact that it wasn't originally called by the line judge.

Q. But do you think the player, him or herself, should have any kind of accountability if a friend's box member does something like that?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's the umpire's responsibility, because she admitted that she heard it before the line judge called it. But, I mean, her explanation is just external interference. That has nothing to do with the match, so...

Q. A few months in, how can you assess your partnership with Sven so far?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, result‑wise it's obviously not where I want to go. I think when you make a change, a few different changes in your team, you're always ‑‑ you know, I've never been the person that comes out and wins the first tournament as a partnership.
I mean, it took me a little while from when I started working with Thomas. I didn't get the results I wanted from the very beginning either with Michael. I think it's always a work in progress in terms of the work you do and getting to know each other. It's only been quite a short time, as well.

Q. You're now somewhere in mid‑career. What do you use to motivate yourself goal‑wise? Do you target a specific tournament like I think you targeted Roland Garros, or do you have something else?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Each match really motivates me. Losses motivate me a lot, because as a competitor you don't want to lose these types of matches, and, you know, you always want to change the result.
So it's individual matches that really fire you up, and I hope that these last few losses will do that for me.

Q. What do you make of Camila as a player? She's bursting out quickly here. You said it's very up and down at times. How do you assess her and her whole presence out there?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, I think if she played at this level for a consistent period of time I don't think she'd be a qualifier here. I think that's pretty obvious for everyone in this room.
But that's the thing with tennis, is that ‑‑ and I have said it so many times ‑‑ you've got to bring this type of tennis when you're playing on center court or when you're playing on Court 18. And especially when you're just moving up and when you're just getting that confidence and you're playing well in Grand Slams, you've got to back it up.
It's a big challenge. It really is. Consistency is a big factor. But if she keeps it up, I mean, if she can play like that on a consistent basis, I mean, she will be a good player.

Q. You have seen players come off of long injury breaks, and it takes them time to almost catch up with the fitness and the match play. Where do you think you are physically right now in terms of being 100%?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, I think the physical part of it is something that is hurting me a little bit when we're going into these three‑set matches. That's not a secret for anyone.
And when you skip those months there's nothing that gets back that match play than just going out and doing it. You can train for so many hours on end, and it just doesn't replicate what you're doing out there in the tournament.
Of course this doesn't help when you only play a couple of matches at a tournament. You want to continue and get that, which will ultimately help you, you know, in the year.

Q. Are you talking physical presence and rhythm or talking about fatigue?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's a little bit of everything, rhythm and, you know, also the focus, keeping that focus for three hours.
You know, you're not going to maybe keep it for the whole three hours. You're going to have dips. But, you know, if you can get it back as fast as you can ‑‑ and I've always been someone that has been able to do that ‑‑ but when you lose that feeling for a long period of time, it's something you have to work on, and it just doesn't come automatically for anyone.

Q. Is it easy to be patient when it's not coming automatically?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, it's not. I'm not a patient person at all.

Q. In your gut, do you think you can win another slam or two?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: In my gut? I probably wouldn't be doing this, yeah, if I didn't feel that in my gut (smiling).

Q. What's the next week like for you? Hang around here? A lot of players stick around here; nice place to be. Or do you go straight to Florida?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I will probably head to Florida. I like Florida. I have a home there, so it will be good to train there, get used to the humidity, as well.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #1220
country flag Laver_Slam

Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice Laver_Slam is just really nice

I like this interview! It is very down to earth and now I can understand her! I won't worry anymore, maybe it is a bad luck that she has to defend so many points right at the moment of her struggling and she will have problems with the rankings. But after all health and desire are the most important things. Also the feel of enjoyment in your work. This is her bad time of her career and I wish her all the luck in the world to go through it. She has good tennis qualities and when she is in a good form very few can beat her. I hope she can get her level back somewhere in the season. In fact Maria, Serena and Venus are a part of very talented generation that burst on the scene 10 and more years ago. Almost all of the old champions retired but I don't see that talent in terms of tennis skill and fighting spirit in the new young generation - they are all athletic and powerful but lack some of the qualities. When in form Serena, Maria, Venus and maybe Azarenka are in their own league. But Venus and Serena are older, Maria is only 26/27 so she has plenty of time)
Laver_Slam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #1221
country flag MashaFan01

MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future

We'll just have to see how she plays in Fla - Hopefully she is able to play more than 2 matches this time - Reaching the semis would at least show some progress and it would give hope for the rest of the season - GO Masha!!

Last edited by MashaFan01 : Mar 12th, 2014 at 06:12 PM.
MashaFan01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #1222
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Very nice interview, and it's actually settling that Maria is completely aware of all of the things we as fans observed as well. Her mindset never ceases to amaze me

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you
Tennisvampire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 04:21 AM   #1223
country flag Cecig

Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of Cecig has much to be proud of

Sharapova still strengthening shoulder after injury

Maria Sharapova has admitted her shoulder is not yet at full strength after last year's injury.

Sharapova hurt her shoulder during the clay season, and after an opening-round defeat in Cincinnati, she did not play the rest of the year. The Russian also had surgery on the shoulder in 2008.

She told reporters in Miami that she has recovered from the problem but is still working to rebuild fitness.

"My shoulder feels good," she said. "Missing five or six months of the season last year, it takes a lot to build up the strength in it again."

Sharapova lost to Camila Giorgi in the third round of Indian Wells, her first event since taking a break to promote the Winter Olympics, which were held in her hometown of Sochi.

"It's one thing to come off and heal the injury, it's another thing building that stamina in the shoulder to play a three-set match," Sharapova said. "That's something I'm still working on and it's not at the level I want it to be."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/.../#.Uypj7qgkI6a

https://twitter.com/Ce_Giovanniello
Cecig is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 05:10 AM   #1224
country flag Ziggy88

Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light

Therefore.. Avoid plunging into 3 setters Masha. Let's do it in 2 sets..
Ziggy88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #1225
country flag rucolo

rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute rucolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercepova View Post
C. GIORGI/M. Sharapova

6‑3, 4‑6, 7‑5

An interview with:
MARIA SHARAPOVA

Q. Hard to find rhythm in that match. A lot of breaks. Was it an instance of you just didn't have it there? Was it something she was doing to cause you problems?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it was a combination. I did not play a good match at all, and, you know, I started very poorly. Never played against her, but she's someone that doesn't give you much rhythm. She's quite aggressive, but some shots she hits incredible for a long period of time. Sometimes they go off a bit.
But, you know, if I'm speaking about my level, it was nowhere near where it should have been.

Q. What do you think the cause of that was? Bad day or something bothering you otherwise, I guess.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, nothing else bothering me. I guess just a bad day.

Q. What was the discussion near the end there with the umpire? What was that about?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Just because I heard the call from her box rather than from the line judge first, which wasn't right at the beginning. Then I asked her why that happened and she thought I challenged the ball, which I have no problem admitting if I challenged a call.
Then she went with it and I had no challenges left. It's not a big deal, but, I mean, I have no problem admitting if I challenged a call. I'm not sure why she wouldn't believe me if I wasn't challenging it actually. But I guess I was giving, you know, the hand gesture just because I had the out call from the sidelines rather than from the line judge.

Q. What did she say to you, the umpire?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: She says that the crowd has nothing to do with the match. And, yes, he did call the ball out before the line judge did, but that's just external interference and that has nothing to do. Just have to keep playing, which is fine.
And then she thought by doing that I was challenging the call, so...

Q. In Melbourne you said that officials didn't really know what was going on in terms of the heat. Do you think there should be a kind of rule if there is not one already about a friend's box calling lines, calling...
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm sure it's the heat of the moment, but I don't think he had any right to call out the ball before the line judge did. The ball was still out. There is no argument there. It's just the fact that it wasn't originally called by the line judge.

Q. But do you think the player, him or herself, should have any kind of accountability if a friend's box member does something like that?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's the umpire's responsibility, because she admitted that she heard it before the line judge called it. But, I mean, her explanation is just external interference. That has nothing to do with the match, so...

Q. A few months in, how can you assess your partnership with Sven so far?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, result‑wise it's obviously not where I want to go. I think when you make a change, a few different changes in your team, you're always ‑‑ you know, I've never been the person that comes out and wins the first tournament as a partnership.
I mean, it took me a little while from when I started working with Thomas. I didn't get the results I wanted from the very beginning either with Michael. I think it's always a work in progress in terms of the work you do and getting to know each other. It's only been quite a short time, as well.

Q. You're now somewhere in mid‑career. What do you use to motivate yourself goal‑wise? Do you target a specific tournament like I think you targeted Roland Garros, or do you have something else?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Each match really motivates me. Losses motivate me a lot, because as a competitor you don't want to lose these types of matches, and, you know, you always want to change the result.
So it's individual matches that really fire you up, and I hope that these last few losses will do that for me.

Q. What do you make of Camila as a player? She's bursting out quickly here. You said it's very up and down at times. How do you assess her and her whole presence out there?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, I think if she played at this level for a consistent period of time I don't think she'd be a qualifier here. I think that's pretty obvious for everyone in this room.
But that's the thing with tennis, is that ‑‑ and I have said it so many times ‑‑ you've got to bring this type of tennis when you're playing on center court or when you're playing on Court 18. And especially when you're just moving up and when you're just getting that confidence and you're playing well in Grand Slams, you've got to back it up.
It's a big challenge. It really is. Consistency is a big factor. But if she keeps it up, I mean, if she can play like that on a consistent basis, I mean, she will be a good player.

Q. You have seen players come off of long injury breaks, and it takes them time to almost catch up with the fitness and the match play. Where do you think you are physically right now in terms of being 100%?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I mean, I think the physical part of it is something that is hurting me a little bit when we're going into these three‑set matches. That's not a secret for anyone.
And when you skip those months there's nothing that gets back that match play than just going out and doing it. You can train for so many hours on end, and it just doesn't replicate what you're doing out there in the tournament.
Of course this doesn't help when you only play a couple of matches at a tournament. You want to continue and get that, which will ultimately help you, you know, in the year.

Q. Are you talking physical presence and rhythm or talking about fatigue?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's a little bit of everything, rhythm and, you know, also the focus, keeping that focus for three hours.
You know, you're not going to maybe keep it for the whole three hours. You're going to have dips. But, you know, if you can get it back as fast as you can ‑‑ and I've always been someone that has been able to do that ‑‑ but when you lose that feeling for a long period of time, it's something you have to work on, and it just doesn't come automatically for anyone.

Q. Is it easy to be patient when it's not coming automatically?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, it's not. I'm not a patient person at all.

Q. In your gut, do you think you can win another slam or two?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: In my gut? I probably wouldn't be doing this, yeah, if I didn't feel that in my gut (smiling).

Q. What's the next week like for you? Hang around here? A lot of players stick around here; nice place to be. Or do you go straight to Florida?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I will probably head to Florida. I like Florida. I have a home there, so it will be good to train there, get used to the humidity, as well.
I just love Maria. Her interviews are always so honest ! And a good analysis !

Let`s hope she continues to improve. I want Maria to win Grand Slams again !

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2014 ist Stefanie !
rucolo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 03:04 AM   #1226
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

MIAMI, FL, USA - Maria Sharapova won a tough two-setter against recent first-time WTA champion Kurumi Nara in her opening match at the Premier Mandatory-level Sony Open Tennis on Thursday night.

The No.4-seeded Sharapova had to battle back from 1-3, 0-30 down in a marathon 64-minute second set to record a 63 64 victory against Nara, who won her first WTA title a few weeks ago in Rio de Janeiro.

"She made me work extremely hard," Sharapova said. "She's a really quick opponent, got a lot of balls back, as you saw, and she made me hit a lot. She made me try to do too much in certain situations.

"Sometimes I felt like I was doing the right mistakes and sometimes I felt like I should have been more patient, but I guess those are the situations you want to build that match confidence again."

Sharapova is coming off one of her tougher losses - a third round loss at Indian Wells, where she was the defending champion, and Camila Giorgi - the woman who beat her - was a qualifier in the draw.

The four-time Grand Slam champion and former World No.1 was asked where her confidence is right now.

"I still feel like a work in progress," Sharapova commented. "That match strength, when you're deep into the match and just in the later stages of matches, I think that's the thing that's hurt me in these last couple of months. But I've got to work through that. Nothing's just going to come to me.

"It's a challenge I have ahead of me, and I have to face it."

Next up for Sharapova is No.26 seed Lucie Safarova, who closed Vania King out in two, 63 76(2).

Sharapova leads Safarova in their head-to-head, 2-1, and has won their last two meetings.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 03:16 AM   #1227
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
"I still feel like a work in progress," Sharapova commented. "That match strength, when you're deep into the match and just in the later stages of matches, I think that's the thing that's hurt me in these last couple of months. But I've got to work through that. Nothing's just going to come to me.

Trih is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 03:23 AM   #1228
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
MIAMI, FL, USA - Maria Sharapova won a tough two-setter against recent first-time WTA champion Kurumi Nara in her opening match at the Premier Mandatory-level Sony Open Tennis on Thursday night.

The No.4-seeded Sharapova had to battle back from 1-3, 0-30 down in a marathon 64-minute second set to record a 63 64 victory against Nara, who won her first WTA title a few weeks ago in Rio de Janeiro.

"She made me work extremely hard," Sharapova said. "She's a really quick opponent, got a lot of balls back, as you saw, and she made me hit a lot. She made me try to do too much in certain situations.

"Sometimes I felt like I was doing the right mistakes and sometimes I felt like I should have been more patient, but I guess those are the situations you want to build that match confidence again."

Sharapova is coming off one of her tougher losses - a third round loss at Indian Wells, where she was the defending champion, and Camila Giorgi - the woman who beat her - was a qualifier in the draw.

The four-time Grand Slam champion and former World No.1 was asked where her confidence is right now.

Next up for Sharapova is No.26 seed Lucie Safarova, who closed Vania King out in two, 63 76(2).

Sharapova leads Safarova in their head-to-head, 2-1, and has won their last two meetings.
I love how realistic Maria has been about her performances and where she is right now, it gives me hope that she realizes what she needs to work on, and is willing to be patient and not get herself down despite her poor play.

I also can't believe she's only played Lucie 3 times
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1229
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

Quote:
M. SHARAPOVA/K. Nara
6‑3, 6‑4

Q. She made you work for a lot of the points, especially second set. It was a good match to get some rhythm out there.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: She made me work extremely hard today. She's a really quick opponent, got a lot of balls back, as you saw, made me hit a lot, and made me feel like‑‑ tried to do too much in certain situations.
But, you know, sometimes I felt like I was doing the right mistakes and sometimes I felt like I should have been a bit more patient.
But, you know, I guess the types of situations that I want to get to in order to build that match confidence again, yeah.

Q. How do you feel match‑confidence‑wise? Do you still feel like it's a work in progress?
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
It really is. At this point, it still really is.
You know, that match strength, when you're, you know, deep into the match and also in the later stages of the matches, I think THAT'S hurt me a little bit in these last couple of months.
But I got to work through that. Nothing's going to come to me. It's a challenge that I have ahead of me, and I have to face it.

Q. She's pretty much an unknown player for you. So what was the toughest thing to play against such a player, especially in the first round of a tournament?
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
Well, it's always challenging to play someone that you've never played against before and I haven't seen so much of, as well.
So it was really about getting to know her game as quickly as possible out on the court. But as I said before, she moves really well and she reads the game. She doesn't have very big shots, but she anticipates the shots extremely well, which makes her really tough to play.
I think she certainly had a chance in the second set, so I was really happy to get through in that second.

Q. Even though it's a night session match, it wasn't televised or streamed. Is that something you notice when you're on court?
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
No. I have been on TV so many times that, I mean, once is okay for me. That's great (smiling).

Q. It's just the way the TV deal works here. A lot of the women's match aren't being shown, but they showed the men's match after yours. Do you think that's a problem or something to be fixed for the WTA side?
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
I'm not exactly sure of the logistics of TV, but I know it's different at every tournament. Everyone has different rights. ATP and WTA has different contracts.
I'm not aware of that. I'm happy to be on the schedule at this point.

Q. How do you feel about coming to this tournament? Finals five times. You have been pretty close.
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
Yeah, obviously I have been close, and I have had my fair share of chances of winning the tournament. Obviously I'm still looking for that.
But with that said, I have had really great experiences, great matches here, and it would be really special if I could win it, for sure.

Q. It's like the only big title you haven't won, right?
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
I'm not really sure. I don't know.

Q. What makes you think this is the year that you can finally win this?
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
What makes me think?
Well, I expect to win because I haven't won before. I haven't won tournaments before.
So when you're in the draw, that sense of competitiveness and presence that you have has to be positive and not thinking that I'm here to let somebody, you know, get in the way of what I should do.
I want to go out there and get it myself, and that's the attitude that I have.

Q. You were playing late today, but it looked like you were hurting. How is your shoulder feeling?
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
I'm feeling good. I'm still building strength in my shoulder, which is normal not playing for six months last year. It's a work in progress. I'm just happy that I'm healthy, and everything else in terms of match play and match strength is going to get there.

Q. You were talking about obviously still building up confidence and strength. Do you ever let yourself, you know, measure expectations in those situations, or do you always sort of set the same goals? Talking about a building year, building something like that, do you allow yourself that, or do you say, I have to go out all the time?
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
You have to have that type of mindset, but you have to be realistic, as well. It's tough, because when you know what you have achieved before and you know what kind of level you can play at, it's always tough to go through those moments where you feel like you have to build from absolutely nothing.
Because in the last few years, you know, I felt quite healthy and I have been extremely consistent. I have had great results.
And when you miss that period of time and when you're in that healing process, you know, your mind is not on trying to win tennis matches. It's trying to get back and trying to work yourself to get back to that stage.
So the expectations that you set, you always think of what you achieved before, and you expect that you're going to achieve it again. But realistically, you have to calm yourself down, I guess.

Q. Is that what you learned most from your postsurgery comeback, I guess?
MARIA SHARAPOVA:
I think so. I mean, that just gives you a much easier perspective on situations. I mean, I took matches quite tough before the surgery. It's never easy to lose, but it gives you a better perspective of where you came from.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
Seem like a match to watch but maybe no chance for us to rewatch it
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#36
PAW Rank:#42 Titles New Haven 2014
FITD Rank:#109.
Three Hands Titles Montreal 2014

Last edited by Crux Squall : Mar 22nd, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 01:41 PM   #1230
country flag MashaFan01

MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Q. Even though it's a night session match, it wasn't televised or streamed. Is that something you notice when you're on court?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No. I have been on TV so many times that, I mean, once is okay for me. That's great (smiling).

Q. It's just the way the TV deal works here. A lot of the women's match aren't being shown, but they showed the men's match after yours. Do you think that's a problem or something to be fixed for the WTA side?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm not exactly sure of the logistics of TV, but I know it's different at every tournament. Everyone has different rights. ATP and WTA has different contracts.
I'm not aware of that. I'm happy to be on the schedule at this point.
Yeah - What's with all those ATP matches and only few (like 3) WTA matches every day on TV or live stream from Miami - Incredible bad publicity for such a huge tournament!!

Last edited by MashaFan01 : Mar 22nd, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
MashaFan01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote