Big 12 - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 5th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #76
country flag TennisSee

TennisSee is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Big 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmanserve View Post
You calling my logic flawed is of no concern to me. Just because 2 of ur college coaching friends claim they wouldn't put her on their team, doesn't mean a thing. Maybe she never considered their school in the recruitment process. ( get over it) It doesnt make her " poor material". She has had coaches and already a level of development and success. Bottom line, she can play. Most of the college women have some bad attitude and diva in them. Baylor WT definitely has its share. Btw , regardless of what most college coaches will say, tennis is still and always will be an individual sport and the "team environment" is secondary to the individual player performing on the court by themselves with no help from rhe team. ( other than doubles and the cheering) Again, secondary. Will coaches will give a scholarship to a player who has a great team attitude, but can't win matches, or the player with a bad attitude but can win matches. At the end of the day. The coaches will take the best player available.

Craft is a great girl who is young and probably made some mistakes, but who hasn't. She deserves to play. At least she wants to play. But its ok, because maybe can just be patient and wait it out because rumors are saying JS interviewed for the Pepperdine WT job.
Well, now it's out in the open that she wants to transfer. Let's see how many coaches come knocking on her door, especially knowing that she would have to sit out a year if she plans on playing in Division I.

Let me also just say that I disagree with your opinion that College Tennis is not a team sport. It certainly is. In addition to doubles, it's important that each team member even if they don't win, stays on the court long enough to relieve some of the pressure from their teammates. It depends on the players pushing each other everyday in practice to get better and better, competing for spots in the line up. Also, as a team, the players have to work together along with the coaches to try to draw the best possible recruits to their institutions and to see to it that said recruit will be a good fit with the returning players. I'm not sure how it is at Baylor, but at many of the other top schools, not only are the women teammates, but also, best friends. The good coaches reinforce this well with team building activities.
TennisSee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #77
country flag Bigmanserve

Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisSee View Post
Well, now it's out in the open that she wants to transfer. Let's see how many coaches come knocking on her door, especially knowing that she would have to sit out a year if she plans on playing in Division I.

Let me also just say that I disagree with your opinion that College Tennis is not a team sport. It certainly is. In addition to doubles, it's important that each team member even if they don't win, stays on the court long enough to relieve some of the pressure from their teammates. It depends on the players pushing each other everyday in practice to get better and better, competing for spots in the line up. Also, as a team, the players have to work together along with the coaches to try to draw the best possible recruits to their institutions and to see to it that said recruit will be a good fit with the returning players. I'm not sure how it is at Baylor, but at many of the other top schools, not only are the women teammates, but also, best friends. The good coaches reinforce this well with team building activities.

Maybe she wont leave considering the coach is already applying to coach elsewhere. But I am absolutely sure she will still have offers. The talent pool in college tennis is slim especially in the mid to lower DI schools. One good player at that level can play #1 at those schools can drop everyone down a spot and will make a huge difference. One good year can seriously help recruiting for future years. Look at last year Bear Maria Biryukova who played 5 and 6 at Baylor. Now at Washington State she plays 2/3 and having a stella year and Washington State who is now ranked in the top 60. She crushed Hawaii's No 4 that just absolutely crushed Baylors # 4.

In a prefect world and society that would be wonderful but that isn't the case. But saying you're absolutely right, you just gave every reason why really good players with pro potential should NOT go to college to play " College tennis." 1) If a player is worrying about the teamates results instead of focusing on her task at hand which should be beating her opponent, not just trying to stay on the court longer, it's not suprising that she loses. ( OMG no wonder college players are done after college being taught that losing is ok. LOL) @) Pushing eachother? Thats too funny. LOL If that was truly the case, they are truly doing a poor job at pushing eachother. Rarely does a player get better in college. Especially the players at the top of the roster. Most players develop before college and not necesary with a team of other players pushing eachother to get better. That theory is very old and out dated. They need a skilled coach who tryly know every aspect of tennis techniques, fundamentals and strategies. just being on the court and playing against eachother wont get it done. You wont ever see a group of professionals training together in a group expecting to get better. Again another reason why there is poor tennis post college. 3) Top top schools don't worry about improving individual players, they focus more on recruiting as they know year after year they can recruit the best american players. ( Stanford, UCLA, USC, Florida, Georgia, North carolina. ( although Fla, and Ga in my opinion do have great development programs in place and players can actually better out of those programs.)ex. Brianna Morgan. 4) I am all for players cheering their teamates on. But knowing every individual is different, and after speakin to many juniors who hate when even their parents say anything from the sidelines, for some it becomes more of a distraction along with the coach who feels he need to instruct the player between every point and not allows the players to find their game. Good tennis players are taught from early stages how to block everyone and everything out and focus intensely on their game and the opponents game. Now you are saying they should also focus on the teams results, the crowd (teamates) cheering for them, and the coach who has a " you should have done this" and "should do that", between many points and on the changeover. Again, disaster for development and any players wanting to further their tennis post college. 5) There hasn't been a school that I haven't heard of drama and players not getting along on the team. Far from best friends. It would be awesome to thinkn its true not its not reality. having played on many sports mens teams I know and men aren't as caty as women, all men still didnt get along. Its also not a great thing but I know its necessary for players to help with recruiting. Coaches and unfortunately most players tend to stretch the truth when recruiting players and they tend to omit the negatives, and incoming players don't forget who said what. So trust is already damaged.

I can go on and on but gotta go back to work. Don't have time to edit sorry for typos.
I am really enjoying the debate. Not trying to offend anyone.
Bigmanserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #78
country flag randy72391

randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe she wont leave considering the coach is already applying to coach elsewhere. But I am absolutely sure she will still have offers. The talent pool in college tennis is slim especially in the mid to lower DI schools. One good player at that level can play #1 at those schools can drop everyone down a spot and will make a huge difference. One good year can seriously help recruiting for future years. Look at last year Bear Maria Biryukova who played 5 and 6 at Baylor. Now at Washington State she plays 2/3 and having a stella year and Washington State who is now ranked in the top 60. She crushed Hawaii's No 4 that just absolutely crushed Baylors # 4.

In a prefect world and society that would be wonderful but that isn't the case. But saying you're absolutely right, you just gave every reason why really good players with pro potential should NOT go to college to play " College tennis." 1) If a player is worrying about the teamates results instead of focusing on her task at hand which should be beating her opponent, not just trying to stay on the court longer, it's not suprising that she loses. ( OMG no wonder college players are done after college being taught that losing is ok. LOL) @) Pushing eachother? Thats too funny. LOL If that was truly the case, they are truly doing a poor job at pushing eachother. Rarely does a player get better in college. Especially the players at the top of the roster. Most players develop before college and not necesary with a team of other players pushing eachother to get better. That theory is very old and out dated. They need a skilled coach who tryly know every aspect of tennis techniques, fundamentals and strategies. just being on the court and playing against eachother wont get it done. You wont ever see a group of professionals training together in a group expecting to get better. Again another reason why there is poor tennis post college. 3) Top top schools don't worry about improving individual players, they focus more on recruiting as they know year after year they can recruit the best american players. ( Stanford, UCLA, USC, Florida, Georgia, North carolina. ( although Fla, and Ga in my opinion do have great development programs in place and players can actually better out of those programs.)ex. Brianna Morgan. 4) I am all for players cheering their teamates on. But knowing every individual is different, and after speakin to many juniors who hate when even their parents say anything from the sidelines, for some it becomes more of a distraction along with the coach who feels he need to instruct the player between every point and not allows the players to find their game. Good tennis players are taught from early stages how to block everyone and everything out and focus intensely on their game and the opponents game. Now you are saying they should also focus on the teams results, the crowd (teamates) cheering for them, and the coach who has a " you should have done this" and "should do that", between many points and on the changeover. Again, disaster for development and any players wanting to further their tennis post college. 5) There hasn't been a school that I haven't heard of drama and players not getting along on the team. Far from best friends. It would be awesome to thinkn its true not its not reality. having played on many sports mens teams I know and men aren't as caty as women, all men still didnt get along. Its also not a great thing but I know its necessary for players to help with recruiting. Coaches and unfortunately most players tend to stretch the truth when recruiting players and they tend to omit the negatives, and incoming players don't forget who said what. So trust is already damaged.

I can go on and on but gotta go back to work. Don't have time to edit sorry for typos.
I am really enjoying the debate. Not trying to offend anyone.
i agree

however the only thing i dont agree with is this: Maria Biryukova was horrid, she slices every ball. It was painful to watch

SURVIVOR Wimbledon Announcement

Here
randy72391 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #79
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Quote:
You calling my logic flawed is of no concern to me. Just because 2 of ur college coaching friends claim they wouldn't put her on their team, doesn't mean a thing. Maybe she never considered their school in the recruitment process. ( get over it) It doesnt make her " poor material".
I think you misunderstood. The two coaches that don't want her are UGA and Baylor. I am sure JS is interested in Pepperdine along with every other coach in the country, but schools don't conduct interviews in the middle of the season while they still have another coach working for them and coaches don't interview for other jobs in the middle of their own seasons.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #80
country flag Bigmanserve

Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice Bigmanserve is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
I think you misunderstood. The two coaches that don't want her are UGA and Baylor. I am sure JS is interested in Pepperdine along with every other coach in the country, but schools don't conduct interviews in the middle of the season while they still have another coach working for them and coaches don't interview for other jobs in the middle of their own seasons.
I think you misunderstood me as well. The interview has already happened, before the season started. I first heard about it during the summer. The current coach is retiring.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #81
country flag Bigmanserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy72391 View Post
i agree

however the only thing i dont agree with is this: Maria Biryukova was horrid, she slices every ball. It was painful to watch
I agree her game is ugly to watch. Absolutely. My point was, she playing for a smaller D1 school playing a weaker schedule, and she is having much more success. Look it up. And its a Pac 12 conference team so they also play tough conference matches as well. I'm sure her new coach is happy to have her. You actually make my point. Horrid at Baylor and JS didnt want her, yet she found a place for herself and Craft will as well.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #82
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me as well. The interview has already happened, before the season started. I first heard about it during the summer. The current coach is retiring.
That rumor is most likely false. In order to interview a coach an AD has to get the other ADs permission. There is no way that 2 things happen:

1. A school conducting interviews for a WOMEN'S TENNIS job ONE YEAR early...not even Stanford much less pepp.
2. A coach shopping around like that one year before the job is even open with no guarantee he gets it and risking majorly pissing his AD off.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #83
country flag Bigmanserve

Quote:
That rumor is most likely false. In order to interview a coach an AD has to get the other ADs permission. There is no way that 2 things happen:

1. A school conducting interviews for a WOMEN'S TENNIS job ONE YEAR early...not even Stanford much less pepp.
2. A coach shopping around like that one year before the job is even open with no guarantee he gets it and risking majorly pissing his AD off.
It may sound unbelievable to you but I heard it from multiple and completely different sources. So I am inclined to believe it.

Especially knowing that he travels to California and plays the California tournaments every chance he gets. Even to a fault. Ex: In the fall he sent the recent hire Volunteer assistant to New York with his player to the ITA National Indoors. ( The biggest tournament of the fall season), and he opt to again travel to California with other players and the associate head coach for fun in the sun, and play the much smaller Jack krammer club tournament. I'm sure the lone player who qualified for the ITA national Indoor tournament with such little support from her "college team", really felt the "College team tennis" support at that time. Thats assuming the player was comfortable traveling alone with a new male assistant that she didn't really know. BTW, every other team with at least one player who qualified to play the tournament ( except Stanford of course), had either ther Head coach or the Associate Head coach in attendance. UCLA, USC, GA, N.C., Florida, Oklahoma State,etc...all had head coaches or Asssociate Head Coaches with their players, not Volunteers. Will he give such little support for his players if they qualify for the NCAA's as well? He gives such little support yet takes credit for every players success. Again, with JS actions, what recruit would want to attend a school with such little support shown after such a huge accomplishment? Another Poor judgement call.

OK I am done speaking on JS. Its truly not my intentions to bash JS. Just, before anyone start bashing the players that want to leave his program, consider the program and the coach's history.

Now..who really thinks Oklahoma is really as good as the rankings state? not this opinionated grumpy old man. LOL Ops..I better change threads. LOL

Last edited by Bigmanserve : Mar 6th, 2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #84
country flag 10sE

Look I don't doubt that he will interview for the Pepperdine job when that guy retires. Who can blame him for wanting to get out of Waco, Texas and head to Cali? Permanently AND for fall tournaments etc.! The place is a dump. It is also far from a sure thing that he gets it. I have heard that the UCLA assistant is the first in line for the job and there will be many other very good coaches that go for it. If JS reputation is as bad as you say it is then it's going to get back to that Pepperdine AD as well.

All I'm saying is that what you have heard is most likely a rumor. I don't doubt JS desire to go to Pepperdine and I don't doubt that facts you have stated that contributed to the rumor but as someone that has worked in athletic administration trust me when I say there have not been any formal interviews for the Pepperdine job yet and if there had been any clandestine ones, neither you nor I would know about them.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #85
country flag Bigmanserve

Thumbs up Re: Big 12

Quote:
Look I don't doubt that he will interview for the Pepperdine job when that guy retires. Who can blame him for wanting to get out of Waco, Texas and head to Cali? Permanently AND for fall tournaments etc.! The place is a dump. It is also far from a sure thing that he gets it. I have heard that the UCLA assistant is the first in line for the job and there will be many other very good coaches that go for it. If JS reputation is as bad as you say it is then it's going to get back to that Pepperdine AD as well.

All I'm saying is that what you have heard is most likely a rumor. I don't doubt JS desire to go to Pepperdine and I don't doubt that facts you have stated that contributed to the rumor but as someone that has worked in athletic administration trust me when I say there have not been any formal interviews for the Pepperdine job yet and if there had been any clandestine ones, neither you nor I would know about them.
I hear you.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 06:06 AM   #86
country flag Bigmanserve

Baylor #17 with 2 wins against top 10 teams. And only loses are to top 10 teams. Oklahoma is #18 with no wins against top 30 teams. And a recent loss to, at the time, #39 Oklahoma state. Am I missing something? Rankings so suck.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #87
country flag Bigmanserve

The Baylor Pushers(Bears) Lost again to Texas A&M 4-1. Its so funny watching Baylor play, big strong "Bearly" women, pushing the ball like 12 yr olds. Pathetic. I guess "pushing" is good enough to win the Big 12 and that's all he wants. Which is why all the elite teams beats them to a pulp... Florida, UCLA, Texas A&M, even the Vandebilt and Miami, They aren't big in size but they hit big girl balls. Baylor's plays high level 12/14 and under tennis. Especially in doubles, horrible.

Note to Joey S. don't recruit big size, big hitting girls if you want pushers. Smaller girls run down balls better. Teach your girls to use their size and HIT a ball faster than 20 mph.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #88
country flag TennisSee

TennisSee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Baylor Pushers(Bears) Lost again to Texas A&M 4-1. Its so funny watching Baylor play, big strong "Bearly" women, pushing the ball like 12 yr olds. Pathetic. I guess "pushing" is good enough to win the Big 12 and that's all he wants. Which is why all the elite teams beats them to a pulp... Florida, UCLA, Texas A&M, even the Vandebilt and Miami, They aren't big in size but they hit big girl balls. Baylor's plays high level 12/14 and under tennis. Especially in doubles, horrible.

Note to Joey S. don't recruit big size, big hitting girls if you want pushers. Smaller girls run down balls better. Teach your girls to use their size and HIT a ball faster than 20 mph.
You can add out of shape!!
TennisSee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #89
country flag Bigmanserve

Yes!!! Absolutely!! It makes no sense to have so many girls completely out of shape. especially with Baylor having top notch fitness facilities, but I guess it means nothing if the coaches doesn't have the players use them.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 04:31 AM   #90
country flag randy72391

randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute randy72391 has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know if Craft is staying at baylor?

SURVIVOR Wimbledon Announcement

Here
randy72391 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote