Indian Wells 2014 - Once - Twice - Three Times the Champion? - Page 24 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 14th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #346
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Indian Wells 2014 - Once - Twice - Three Times the Champion?

Radwanksa/Jankovic was, by far, the highlight of this tournament. A mostly high quality, back and forth match that was actually enjoyable to watch.

Other than that, though, the majority of the relevant matches have been eye-bleedingly bad. Cibulkova had 16 winners/51 UFEs today. And Li wasn't much better. And I know it got windy in the Pennetta/Stephens match, but, man, it was a mess of choking and errors from both. Sloane had, I think, 65 UFEs.

Maria was bad, but she has a lot of company in this year's IW. Not a good product the WTA put out there this time.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 14th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #347
country flag Mattheus
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all

Could be an errors/faults epidemic?
Could be interesting to see a global statistic of the top 20 and see how the total amount of errors evolved in the past 10 years. Could be the growing speed of the games? Could be the big pressure that players have, after all I will add that there is a big economic crisis in the world, still going on, and the "poor" players are giving everything to get titles and also money prizes faster than "before the crisis".
I don't know, just guessins what causes that growing mess on the tennis courts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
...Cibulkova had 16 winners/51 UFEs today. And Li wasn't much better. And I know it got windy in the Pennetta/Stephens match, but, man, it was a mess of choking and errors from both. Sloane had, I think, 65 UFEs..... Maria was bad, but she has a lot of company in this year's IW. Not a good product the WTA put out there this time.

Nick Bollettieri

Last edited by Mattheus : Mar 14th, 2014 at 08:29 AM.
Mattheus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #348
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServeCaspian View Post
It's pretty much been said already, but I mainly agree with Norbert also, her whole attitude is just dire.
I mean there were times when she focused and looked somewhat like herself, but the biting of lips and looks of desperation toward her box, all while playing a Qualifier....

It's extremely alarming, the girl that was on court there was hardly recognisable. I was so furious, the reason I fell in love with Maria was her fighting spirit and if that is gone or gets any worse we can pretty much expect this until the end. 80% of everything she ever acheieved was from her mental strength and competitive spirit. I mean, when Giorgi was broke serving for the match that should have been the end of it but...

IDK, I don't think it's Sugarpova/Dimi et al. They have been there since always, however I do feel that they may be more of a distraction these days, in the sense that Maria is using them to escape from facing what is going on with regards her actual career instead of just merely expressing a passion.

It's so frustrating, given that when on this year I still maintain her ground game has looked the best it has post-op, but her head just isn't there. I said this on Twitter and tbh I wasn't even joking, amybe she just needs time off, some Himalayan monastary or some other remote location and just recover herself mentally. The years of fighting against the shoulder injuries and never being 100% have really taken their toll.

But she needs to adjust and do it soon otherwise...Let's just say I can't see Maria doing the whole 'top 20' thing for two years all over again. I don't think it's time for nuclear panic mode yet, there is still a nice extended break after Miami where several things can begin to click for the clay. But if she flops there then I really don't know...
just the bolded part. I would agree that when there are getaway things (like a boyfriend or hobby) that comforts a person when she has troubles, she is more easily procrastinates than to face the actual difficulties.
Blaming Sugarpova is so so silly. Nobody here remembers that a day after she won the French, she was already in spain visiting some candy-factory. She won 3 clay titles that year, when she was probably more heavily in the planning-introducing phase than right now. I mean, come on.
And her boy is just too easy to blame, I wouldnt even bother besides the mocking.

Also I kind of agree about the taking time off. Training/overtraining wouldnt solve anything. She posted loads of workout pictures even last summer when she was apparently injured. Does it mean anything at this point? (and I dont need pictures to know she is working out. Y'all cant be more silly to think she doesnt just because of loads of Sugarpova pics.)
Quote:
Radwanksa/Jankovic was, by far, the highlight of this tournament. A mostly high quality, back and forth match that was actually enjoyable to watch.

Other than that, though, the majority of the relevant matches have been eye-bleedingly bad. Cibulkova had 16 winners/51 UFEs today. And Li wasn't much better. And I know it got windy in the Pennetta/Stephens match, but, man, it was a mess of choking and errors from both. Sloane had, I think, 65 UFEs.

Maria was bad, but she has a lot of company in this year's IW. Not a good product the WTA put out there this time.
defensive, or more rally-stable players are probably most succesful on this ungodly slow surface they have there. They can be patient until there is a high percentage finishing shot, unlike most of the ballbashers who cant hit through the court or the opponent, but still want to finish more quickly and for their UE rate only the sky is the limit. Plus add that pain in the ass wind.

(I know, Li is in the semis, cakewalk, whatevs.)
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #349
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Drone View Post
just the bolded part. I would agree that when there are getaway things (like a boyfriend or hobby) that comforts a person when she has troubles, she is more easily procrastinates than to face the actual difficulties.
Blaming Sugarpova is so so silly. Nobody here remembers that a day after she won the French, she was already in spain visiting some candy-factory. She won 3 clay titles that year, when she was probably more heavily in the planning-introducing phase than right now. I mean, come on.
And her boy is just too easy to blame, I wouldnt even bother besides the mocking.
Norbert, is it really you?
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #350
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanty View Post
Norbert, is it really you?
Looks like it is, and I totally agree with him.
Quote:

If Aga-JJ was the highlight of this tournament, it gives you an idea of how awful it has been overall, because it wasn't exactly enjoyable to watch for me... With this perspective, Maria-Camila was only one in the many shitfests seen at IW.
Trih is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #351
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Pennetta or Radwanska will be the next IW champion

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you
Tennisvampire is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #352
country flag Ziggy88

Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light

Someone please save the WTA! Maria?? Serena?? Serena?? Maria?? Please..
Ziggy88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #353
Effy
God gave us Rock'n'Roll

Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute Effy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisvampire View Post
Pennetta or Radwanska will be the next IW champion
there's nothing wrong with that, both deserve to win
and both are my faves
(S) New Haven 2012 (D) AO 2014 (w/Zenith.), Miami 2014

Sharapova Pennetta Hingis Benčič A.Radwańska Williams Golovin Vekić Barthel Šafářová Keys Robson Bouchard Konjuh Davenport
Effy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #354
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute

Radwanska being a champion here wouldn't be a bad thing, if it happens. She's been the best player, by far, at IW. She's been a legit top 5 player for the past couple of years and has contended for multiple slams. Agi is the player that Wozniacki always wished she could be, given her power limitations.

And since she doesn't own a major, being able to say she has an IW and Miami title would be the next best thing to have on her resume.

Yes, I realize that would sting some Maria fans, given all of her Miami heartbreak, to watch a player like Agi have that accomplishment over her.

As for Flavia, it would also be a great story for her, after the wrist surgery and near retirement last year. As horrible as this year's IW has been, I have no problem with the 2 finalists.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #355
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

After Maria bombed out I really could not ask for anyone better to be in the final than Flavia.
Trih is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #356
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

can we close this shit and wake up from this awful nightmare??? craig?

malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #357
country flag Mattheus
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all Mattheus is a name known to all

Flavia Pennetta has only one problem for me: she cuts/trims TOO much her eyebrows, making her look like a retarded hairdresser (there is worse than her in the WTA circuit, for example Serena Williams, who has fake/transplanted/extra-painted-who-knows eyebrows and full of hair extensions all the time). Eyebrows are soooooo important. Look at Maria, she has perfect natural wonderful eyebrows, very little trimmed and very little painted when she has her make-up done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trih View Post
After Maria bombed out I really could not ask for anyone better to be in the final than Flavia.

Nick Bollettieri

Last edited by Mattheus : Mar 15th, 2014 at 09:18 PM.
Mattheus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote