Dubai Final: Venus Williams d. Alize Cornet 6-3 6-0 - Page 32 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:08 AM   #466
country flag pedropt

pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dubai Final: Venus Williams d. Alize Cornet 6-3 6-0

Vee

Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:14 AM   #467
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought about Alize's comments and I think maybe it's a language thing? I've noticed a lot of the French players tend to be kind of blunt. Amelie Mauresmo, Virginie Razzano etc often made statements that could be interpreted as rude, as do most of the French posters here on TennisForum. Maybe someone can explain/clarify?
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:36 AM   #468
TuxedoSlam

TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of TuxedoSlam has much to be proud of

Congrats Venus! An inspiring performance.

It's been years since I've seen her play like this and I honestly didn't think she could do it again. And even her outfit looked pretty good haha. Well done!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:40 AM   #469
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch-king View Post
I've thought about Alize's comments and I think maybe it's a language thing? I've noticed a lot of the French players tend to be kind of blunt. Amelie Mauresmo, Virginie Razzano etc often made statements that could be interpreted as rude, as do most of the French posters here on TennisForum. Maybe someone can explain/clarify?
ARe you saying when Mauresmo said in 2002 that nobody wants to see Williams Sisters matches in 2002 it was a language barrier issue

ANd when asked who would win and she stated to ask them

Quote:
Originally Posted by honzaneumannn View Post
So who will win the next 6 Wimbledons? Petra 2 of them, thats for sure. And dont even try to tell me that you see some hotter candidates than hers!
Marcus1979 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:43 AM   #470
country flag Mr Halep

Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think this is quite a interesting point. I work with some Eastern European guys and even the ones who can speak very good English tend to be very blunt and forthright at times. At first it caught me by surprise at times and I thought, "Cheeky Barstewards", now I don't notice it as much. Perhaps she just meant, my heavens if I can beat Serena, I also have a chance against Venus. (And who wouldn't think/say this) Alize also commented she thought Venus was playing her very best tennis again.

I remember watching a match last year. Laura Robson had just defeated Venus, but directly after the winning point, Laura didn't start jumping around like "I beat her, I beat her, up yours!!" and when they approached the net to shake hands you could see admiration on Venus face for Laura, because Robson had shown respect for her and deep down knew the struggles Venus currently had then with herself/career.

I think, Alize just got caught up in the moment and her adrenalin was still pumping. She seems a nice kid to me.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:52 AM   #471
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Ourselves View Post
I think this is quite a interesting point. I work with some Eastern European guys and even the ones who can speak very good English tend to be very blunt and forthright at times. At first it caught me by surprise at times and I thought, "Cheeky Barstewards", now I don't notice it as much. Perhaps she just meant, my heavens if I can beat Serena, I also have a chance against Venus. (And who wouldn't think/say this) Alize also commented she thought Venus was playing her very best tennis again.

I remember watching a match last year. Laura Robson had just defeated Venus, but directly after the winning point, Laura didn't start jumping around like "I beat her, I beat her, up yours!!" and when they approached the net to shake hands you could see admiration on Venus face for Laura, because Robson had shown respect for her and deep down knew the struggles Venus currently had then with herself/career.

I think, Alize just got caught up in the moment and her adrenalin was still pumping. She seems a nice kid to me.
unlike Pova

Quote:
So who will win the next 6 Wimbledons? Petra 2 of them, thats for sure. And dont even try to tell me that you see some hotter candidates than hers!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:00 AM   #472
Cookiecrusher

Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future Cookiecrusher has a brilliant future

I watched the match and I was so impressed with Venus's play. Almost everything was working well. Alize clearly had no answers.

But the post-match comment

Djokovic Wawrinka Gasquet del Potro

Also good luck to Jankovic, Vesnina, Stosur, Pennetta, Kerber and Halep
Cookiecrusher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:02 AM   #473
country flag Mr Halep

Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute Mr Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1979 View Post
unlike Pova
I think sometimes people read too much into things. Everybody celebrates in their own way, depending on who you have defeated and why at that moment it can mean so much. (You should see the antics of me sometimes, when I bet a winner at the horses ) I personally, just thought it was a lovely gesture of sportswomanship by Laura.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM   #474
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to Venus. Just saw some highlights of the match and she really was all over Cornet, dominating from the first point and really defending well which has been a struggle for her as of late.

Cornet , fantastic week. I hope she keeps this up because when on her game is a joy to watch.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:20 AM   #475
country flag DanLovesWTA

DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulation Vee!! A well deserved tournament.
Sorana Cirstea,Jelena Jankovic,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Ana Ivanovic,Caroline Wozniacki,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitova,Flavia Pennetta,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Safarova,Madison Keys,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Donna Vekic,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwanska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic.
Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Deserve my appreciation: Steffi Graf, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Na Li.
DanLovesWTA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:26 AM   #476
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Ourselves View Post
Definitely a French thing IMO. French people seems to be jaded nature, jaded about everything so much that they boo their own players and all. Not sure there is any harm when they act like that though, I've been told numerous times in here that I'm rude when talking, often too direct but it's really how we do in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1979 View Post
unlike Pova
Not comparable, there was always a big rivalry between Maria and WS and that since 2004 now. Who is Laura Robson next to Venus ?
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:28 AM   #477
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Definitely a French thing IMO. French people seems to be jaded nature, jaded about everything so much that they boo their own players and all. Not sure there is any harm when they act like that though, I've been told numerous times in here that I'm rude when talking, often too direct but it's really how we do in here.

Not comparable, there was always a big rivalry between Maria and WS and that since 2004 now. Who is Laura Robson next to Venus ?
I often wondered if you were french.

Some posters country flag is indicative of their nationality and some have one of a country they like

Quote:
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 11:05 AM   #478
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Funny that you would say that, since as a French I often find the American people rude by the way they speak most of the time!

For example, there isn't a day when a player isn't called "bitch" on this forum. To me, it's rude and disrespectful. I get used to it as a reader, but will never write like this.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 11:21 AM   #479
country flag I_CLAUDIA_1961
CONGRATS ON WINNING #18 SERENA JAMEKA!

I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1setAll View Post
That is an interesting deduction, Serena loses to Cornet and Ivanovic so her career must be on the decline. Interesting that the woman in your avatar has also lost to both of those women as well. Let it also be noted that "dire" Serena managed to defeat Jankovic rather easily, and Jankovic claims Ms. Pironkova as her pigeon.

I would be tempted to say that these facts would indicate that Ms. Pironkova's dominance was coming to an end but in order for something to end it must first begin.

Also, funny that you would cite "Ana Kournik-OVA" since it only recently that your fave managed to pass her in the title count.

Every time Serena loses a match there are ramblings of the end drawing near. 2004, 2006, 2011, 2012 and now 2014, well, eventually they are bound to be right.

_

WHEN Serena starts serving slower/worse, losing power and losing matches when she's healthy, that's a huge signal to me right there that the end is specifically near. But as of now when healthy, she's still currently the best and #1 ranked player in tennis even though aged 32. I could have even accepted that person saying Serena's seemingly starting to have niggling injuries more and more. That's true for most older players and a fact. But to say Serena lost to Ana and not mention injury as partial blame is disingenuous. Serena lost to Cornet because she is coming back from injury and because Cornet had the match of her life. Hey, kudos to her for that big win over Serena. However, that person also said Venus was done and she beat some pretty big players this week and then Cornet in the finals, so I guess Venus isn't done after all but that person said he/she thought she WAS. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a person who likes to keep things real and honest.
I_CLAUDIA_1961 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 11:28 AM   #480
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktymise View Post
Honestly, I'm super happy for Venus, who I thought was DONE, DONE, DONE. I wrote her off, I'll admit. Although it must be said that she has lost a hell of a lot of close matches in the past year or so, that had she won, she probably would have gone on to post more significant results in that timefame.

But anyway, this result shows that Serena's dominating days are Anna Kournik-OVA. Everything I seen from her this week was truly dire, and losing to both VIP and Cornet back-to-back is a total low point.
Famous last words always eaten.

My Top 3 Faves!
JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote