Vamos Valentini Grammatikopoulou!! Cheering thread! - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #61
country flag Danii's Law

Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of
Re: Vamos Valentini Grammatikopoulou!! Cheering thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
3-6 6-2 3-6
That's probably the worst of her recent string of losses
And she is still entered for two more 25K qualies tournaments in Florida. What's the point if she isn't going to win? Even if she was in better form, these tournaments have strong lists. She should just take some time off to train and get herself together again and then come back for Fed Cup next month
Yikes.\, when is she going to hit her stride ?

Daniilidou, Muguruza, Cornet, Azarenka, Lisicki, Stosur, Na, Date-Krumm, Cirstea,
Danii's Law is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 2014, 06:02 AM   #62
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

25K Port St. Lucie, FL, USA:
QR1 d. (WC) Madison Bourguignon USA (ITF Junior #87) 6-4 6-1
Really good for Valentini to win this match, especially since her opponent was pretty good

One of TF's own was there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan View Post
. Hellas asked me about Grammatikopoulou, and from what I could tell, today, she mixed things up fairly well, hitting with variety (read: a mix of depth on her shots, some flat, some with medium topspin, and some in Julia Cohen territory), but the match was so far away I real couldn't say for sure how things were going. .
QR2 l. to (13) Jennifer Elie USA (#421) 5-7 3-6
No shame here . Valentini was much closer this time than when they played last year in Brussels

That first win was really important, and this tournament was pretty good for her compared to how she's done lately

Photos from Orange Bowl in December:

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #63
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Photos from the Port St. Lucie tournament:

Looks like they're arguing about a mark

Valentini will play qualies of another 25K in Florida and then onto Fed Cup in Estonia

Old Jan 19th, 2014, 02:12 AM   #64
country flag hellas719

Her section of qualies at 25K Daytona Beach:
(2/wc)Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) v Angelina Zhuravleva (RUS)
(wc)Anna Sanford (USA) v Nadia Echeverria Alam (USA)
Brooke Austin (USA) v Jessica Lawrence (USA)
(15)Naomi Osaka (JPN) v Valentini Grammatikopoulou (GRE)

Naomi should be tough
She's ranked 411 and she's also from 1997. Actually Valentini was #3 from 1997 for a short while last year (only behind Bencic and Konjuh) and then Naomi passed Valentini in the rankings

Oh well, nothing to lose!

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 04:52 AM   #65
country flag hellas719

0-6 6-7(5)
Credit to her for still fighting after a bagel, even if the scoreline suggests that she may have missed some set points
I believe her next tournament will be her Fed Cup debut!
And then she'll turn 17 so she can play more pro tournaments

Old Feb 7th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #66
country flag hellas719

Her Fed Cup debut against Cyprus went very well
She beat Omirou (junior #689, 14 yo) 6-0 6-0
And then played a dead doubles rubber with Stefanou and won 6-2 6-4

Next tie is against Moldova on Friday. Will be tougher but hopefully she can keep winning

Old Feb 8th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #67
country flag hellas719

Won against Anastasia Detiuc from Moldova (15 yo, junior #801) 6-1 6-0
Now 3-0 in her Fed Cup career

Tomorrow she'll play in the promotional playoff against Ireland!
Best of luck!

Also the ITF updated her profile and put that she was born in Kilkis and resides in Kilkis. I know she resides there, but I don't think she was born there. Such a mystery . She used to live on Zakynthos and her Facebook profile says she is from Sochi which explains the Russian connection. Elena Vesnina is part Greek from Sochi and a lot of Greeks live in the Black Sea area and many of them moved back to Greece in recent years. My theory is that she was born in Sochi to Greek parents and at some point moved to Zakynthos and then moved to Kilkis, but I guess one day we will know for sure

Also I don't believe when the ITF says she was born in Kilkis because the ITF also claims Papamichail was born in Athens and she was born in Preveza which is not even close to Athens

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #68
country flag hellas719

Beat Jane Fennelly (unranked Irish girl) 6-2 6-0 and then played deciding doubles with Maria against Bowtell/Dillon and lost 4-6 3-6
Valentini played so well this week and barely lost games in singles, I'm excited to see what the rest of the year brings. I know she's going to play qualies of a tough American 25K but then she'll probably play the Heraklion tournaments in March and April.

Her birthday is today (February 9th) so Happy 17th Birthday to her and now she gets to play more tournaments because of the age eligibility rule

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #69
country flag hellas719

More Fed Cup photos:

Old Feb 15th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #70
country flag hellas719

Valentines Day means Happy nameday to Valentini

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #71
country flag hellas719

She's the 14th seed for the qualies of 25K Surpise, Arizona:
QR1 d. Elizabeth Kilborn USA (#1242) 6-3 6-3
QR2 vs. Marie Norris USA (junior #239)
I have never heard of her, but Norris has recent wins over Jeukeng, D.Ivanova, Gordon, and Abaza

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #72
country flag hellas719

7-5 6-4 over Norris
That's a match she would have lost 2-3 months ago
Then she won FQR over (6) Alexandra Stevenson USA (#412, former #18 and Wimbledon semifinalist) 6-3 6-4
Obviously Stevenson is not the player she used to be, but it's still a good win for Valentini
I thought Valentini would struggle against Stevenson's serve (she set the aces record in Quebec City qualies last September, so her serve is still good even though the rest of her game has gone downhill), but Valentini broke her serve 6 times
I followed the scores from 6-3 *4-3 and Valentini got broken so I thought she would blow it then, but she broke back right away and then served it out

MD R1 vs. (7) Eri Hozumi JPN (#174)
It will be tough. Hozumi has beaten the likes of Bencic and Tanasugarn recently, among others. Valentini has nothing to lose though

Photos from the Vero Beach tournament last month:

Last edited by hellas719 : Feb 19th, 2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #73
country flag Danii's Law

Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of Danii's Law has much to be proud of

Fantastic news!! Some good results.

Hope she can do great things this year

Daniilidou, Muguruza, Cornet, Azarenka, Lisicki, Stosur, Na, Date-Krumm, Cirstea,
Danii's Law is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 05:29 AM   #74
country flag hellas719

4-6 6-1 0-6
I am so proud of her, even though she lost. She took a set 6-1 over a top 200 player! And the total points difference was 71-67 in favor of Hozumi, so even though there was a bagel in the last set, the games were probably close . Too bad she was probably tired since it was her fourth match in four days. This tournament isn't very generous to players from qualies when they don't start qualies until Sunday and have three rounds of qualifying. If she reached the final that would've been 8 matches in 8 days . Obviously she has a long way to go before reaching the finals of challengers, but that wasn't my point

Old Mar 6th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #75
country flag hellas719

She's seeded 8th at the 10K in Gainesville, FL this week
R1 d. Steffi Carruthers SAM (#782) 6-3 6-4
R2 vs. Sina Haas GER (#581)
Haas is no pushover, she beat Naydenova a few months ago and pushed Krajicek to a third set tiebreak

Doubles with Zarazua (MEX)
Qualifying d. (WC) Hammond USA/King USA 2-6 6-3 10-7
R1 l. to (3) Frankova CZE/Kramperova CZE 3-6 1-6