Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012- - Page 116 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1726
country flag boggoTHEgoat

boggoTHEgoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

Quote:
Not sure this arrangement is a good idea for Laura and Genie's friendship.
Honestly, this is a non-issue. Friends come and go but tennis careers are over before you know it and if this arrangement benefits Laura it will have been the right decision even if there is some friction between the two. Also I don't agree with this notion that Laura doesn't have the 'killer instinct' and puts things like personal relationships ahead of tennis. Her coaching history as well as firing the agent she's had since age 13 just before the US Open really proves that she is prepared to make tough decisions, where people could end up getting hurt, if she believes it will help her career.

Regarding the set-up, I think it's a good temporary solution, she will be training in Florida and not in London which will keep her focused on training and away from the London party scene.
boggoTHEgoat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1727
country flag Gruftgesänge

Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play_Suspended View Post
I've given up trying to figure out if coaching relationships will work before they start , just because you have the most famous coach in the world doesn't mean it will work for you and visa versa. So I guess let's just see where this one leads us and hope...I have my concerns though. We all thought Laura needed someone to push her a bit more and not be her mate, is Witten really going to do that? (I know nothing about his personality) Looks like someone more in the Miles mould from first impressions.
This is the puzzling element. The reason that the idea of Sven coaching her appealed to me was the fact that - apart from his proven coaching skills - she's known him well since she was very young and they have a good rapport. It is likely that this is a coaching relationship which "would work before it starts" because they wouldn't have to go through the usual "getting to know you phase" and finding out that they're incompatible! Laura looked very happy working with Sven in Rome this year and actually listened to his on-court tactical advice. But was Sven even approached by Eisenbud or Kathy Robson? I assumed that Maclagan's appointment never extended beyond the 'trial' phase and Laura decided to split with him because she had another, much better, coach up her sleeve. That now appears not to be the case.

Woodforde would have been an interesting choice because he's a fellow left-hander though his coaching CV is limited. But as to Jesse Witten... He's barely finished his (mediocre) playing career and he must still be learning the ropes when it comes to coaching. What confidence can Laura have in him?

Quote:
Let's take the positive here, Mark Wellington is a good move. If he can get Laura's footwork anything like Vika's or Maria's that would make a massive difference. Let's hope he's Laura's jez green. Get her movement good and her shots will be much more consistent, so many shots are missed due to being out of position. Forget the technical or tactical advice a good fitness trainer could transform her.
I agree. This is the promising element. Although a lot of the attention on Laura this year has focused on her service problems, it really only applied to the first half of the season. Her serve was reliable under Maclagan and the double-faults were few and far between even in the Asian tournaments at the end of the season. What was more alarming to me was how erratic her ground game had become. AshBolt has already commented that her service return, which can be one of the most devastating weapons in her armoury, had totally deserted her. She was flailing at the ball in Tokyo and Beijing and missing by yards. All this was connected to poor footwork. Laura's stroke production is superb but she needs to be in position before she pulls the trigger.

Last edited by Gruftgesänge : Nov 20th, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Gruftgesänge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1728
country flag Play_Suspended
Finding a cure for double-faultitis

Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of Play_Suspended has much to be proud of

Well that's why Laura didn't get Sven...Cronin's just announced on twitter he's Maria's new coach. Bet he would have been on Laura's list.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 04:53 PM   #1729
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well that's why Laura didn't get Sven...Cronin's just announced on twitter he's Maria's new coach. Bet he would have been on Laura's list.
Came here to say this of my faves, I really didn't think it would be Maria who Sven would end up coaching
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1730
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

It kinda odd Maria would Hire Sven I thought Laura would pick him as her coach, but I kinda don't think Maria & Sven won't last long IMO

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #1731
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

FED Cup team: Robson, Watson,Konta .Moore https://twitter.com/stu_fraser/statu...29799370428416
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #1732
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Poor Laura , hang in there

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #1733
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Why so much testing? She's been inactive in play for awhile now.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #1734
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Well getting tested out of competition is important. As for getting it two days in a tow in six different sites, that's just incompetence.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #1735

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royals. View Post
Why so much testing? She's been inactive in play for awhile now.
A lot of players get tested out of competition. Marion Bartoli still gets tested, apparently, as she hasn't officially retired.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #1736
country flag guichard

She will play Monterrey
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #1737
country flag Tampering

Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute Tampering has a reputation beyond repute

Jesse Witten is playing the Salinas Challenger in Ecuador this week.
Tampering is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #1738
country flag guichard

She is out of Indian Wells.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #1739
country flag LeatherRatson

LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of LeatherRatson has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
She is out of Indian Wells.
Disappointing but if she's not ready... I just hope she plays a few tournaments b4 Madrid.
LeatherRatson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #1740

Sigh.