Glta - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #136
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Glta

Congrats Paul!
I won the A Singles in Seattle!
http://glta.tournamentsoftware.com/s...B716E77&draw=9
Advertisement

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #137
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

^Wow two winners in our midst!!

Haven't you two learned anything from following the WTA? You're supposed to choke well before winning finals

Congratulations!
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #138
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, congrats!
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 06:13 AM   #139
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute

Played in Toronto this year for the first time. Great experience. Hopefully playing 1 more this year and hoping to play at least 3+ events a year starting 2014.
MMJSL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #140
country flag Come-on-kim

Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute Come-on-kim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is anyone playing on GLTA tour?

I will play the outgames in Antwerp this year.

It'll be my 6th tournament in a year. It is so much fun! I really love it. I love competition and when you can mix competition and discovering other cities, it makes it even nicer.

I also like seeing guys from other nationalities. When you see them back in another country, it makes it special. Like seeing an old friend.

Before I joined the tour (august 2012), I believed that it was crazy and so ghetto to have our own tour. After the first event in my own city I totally changed my mind. It is not ghetto as straight people come and play and it's like a real tour... You feel like a pro player hahaha

"When you do your best, it's always good enough" - Kim Clijsters

"No matter what happens, you have to try to stay positive, bad things can happen, but if you try to stay positive, something positive will come out of it…I believe that everything happens for a reason" - Kim Clijsters

"Goed is de ergste vijand van zeer goed" - Pascal Smet

"Als je iemand idealiseert, verlies je het contact met de werkelijkheid"

"Ca s’apprend par la souffrance, ça s’apprend par les déceptions, ça s’apprend par la densité du mal que ça te fait, plus ça te fait mal et plus ça te fait grandir. Y a des moments où tu te dis je ne vais pas le supporter, ça, ça fait trop mal, et pourtant tu passes au travers."
Come-on-kim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #141
country flag chaton

chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
75 EUR according to google would be 102 AUD. 90 EUR are 122 AUD.

I was thinking of going to Hamburg, maybe Amsterdam, too. I live in the south of Germany and have heard many good things about Hamburg. Would like to combine sightseeing and playing, and one of my teammates apparently also got relatives there, so accomodation wouldn't add any further costs. I don't think the tournament is played at the site of the ATP event though. However, I did notice that quite a lot of GLTA events actually take place at pro facilities. That's cool.
What do other people think about the entry fees? Sounds like you enjoyed your experience though.

Regular tournaments usually cost about 20-30 EUR (28 EUR would be 38 AUD) so I do think it's quite a big difference.
The Hamburg tournament took place for the first time this year. The will Switch every year now between Hamburg and Berlin. So 2014 the tournament will be Held in Berlin.

It was a nice one taking place at the venue of the parents of Carina Witthoeft.

I think the entry fees are OK (but I have a full time Job so they don't really hurt me, for students I understand if it's a different Kind of Story). The tournaments can not use the venues for free and if it last three days it costs a lot. I see no way to do it with 20 or 30 EUR, it could not cover even the rental of the Courts.
chaton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #142
country flag chaton

chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of

Just had my personal Highlight in Singles in Milan this year...:-) After having no Chance in the semifinal in B Singles in Hamburg (lost 6-1 6-1 against my friend Enrico - he played like from another world on this day) i was seeded #2 here. In the semifinal I had a tough match against the #3 seed - a real ball wall. Finally I could make it to the final with a 7-5 1-6 6-1. And there was the clash against the #1 seed. He Plays a style I don't like - forhand and backhand slice. And that in an unbelievable consistancy.

Finally I could win this match and the tournament 5-7 6-2 7-6 after 2:58... That was so exciting...
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #143
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #144
country flag New_balls_please

New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't quite get how GLTA is so popular among the gay community. To me the whole idea screams exclusion and isolation. I would be okay with this if we were in 1920, but nowadays, when most people see us as no different to anyone else, GLTA's ideas seem obsolete and not appropriate to current circumstances in our society. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it's a lot of fun to play, but I think it's very discriminatory.

The USTA has many leagues and tournaments which cater to all levels of abilities and experience. I've been playing tennis for 15 years now, and I even played Varstity Level as an undergrad. I get pissed when people say things like "oh, you could be the number one ranked gay tennis player in your country" and stuff like that. It doesn't matter if you're gay or heterosexual. Tennis is tennis and you should not be competing in a league just because you're gay.

It's just my opinion I respect your opinion, guys.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #145
country flag ¤CharlDa¤
Team WTAworld

¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_balls_please View Post
I still don't quite get how GLTA is so popular among the gay community. To me the whole idea screams exclusion and isolation. I would be okay with this if we were in 1920, but nowadays, when most people see us as no different to anyone else, GLTA's ideas seem obsolete and not appropriate to current circumstances in our society. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it's a lot of fun to play, but I think it's very discriminatory.

The USTA has many leagues and tournaments which cater to all levels of abilities and experience. I've been playing tennis for 15 years now, and I even played Varstity Level as an undergrad. I get pissed when people say things like "oh, you could be the number one ranked gay tennis player in your country" and stuff like that. It doesn't matter if you're gay or heterosexual. Tennis is tennis and you should not be competing in a league just because you're gay.

I totally agree. I also played varsity in undergrad and I've been playing tournaments for almost 20 years now. A lot of people are trying to convince me to play the local GLTA event in Montréal, but I really don't see the use of it.

First, it is incredibly expensive compared to other regular events. I've played 5-6 pro events and they cost 40$ US. Why would I pay 150$ for a local tournament with a lower level of play, when I can play 4 provincial, national or international events for the same price?

I do understand such tournaments for 'recreational' players: you get to meet other players, meet people, party, have fun playing tennis, etc. It seems like it is more a sports version of Pride week: most of my friends have crazy sex stories about what happen in those tournaments. It is also a way to measure your level against other players.

I also understand it might be a safer zone for some gay players that feel threatened by the 'macho' sports world, which can be witnessed in other 'regular' tournaments. But for someone like me that grew up (and was out and proud) in said environment for all my life, I just don't see what sexuality has to do with tennis performance.

I think the real reason is that it is great to share a passion with people who are 'similar' to you. But in my case, I feel more similar to my other varsity colleagues or opponents than to a gay guy from another city/country.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #146
country flag chaton

Quote:

Why discrimination? Straight people are allowed to enter tournaments too. And as far as I know it already happened here in europe.

And the level depends of the division you enter. The Open level can be quite high.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #147
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Each to their own. There's no need to criticise guys who choose to play GLTA events though. And I agree that there's no reason why you should be pressured to play GLTA events when you don't want to. We all have different goals with our tennis and different reasons for playing. Me, I've played both GLTA events and mainstream tournaments (called AMTs - Australian Money Tournaments in Australia). I like both.

AMTs are cheaper and more competitive, but things I don't like - average venues and most entrants are either juniors or players much better than me so I'm kinda stuck playing kids or losing to hotshots. I find with the GLTA events I get to play guys of a similar age and ability. Plus the last one I played was at Sydney Olympic Park (where they play the Sydney tournament every January) and it was f-cking amazing to play at that venue. Plus, I live in a small town with few out gay people in it, so I like occasionally being a part of something that's not heteronormative because pretty much every other aspect of my life is - and I don't want to be a drunken trashbag at dance parties or a Grindr desperado, so I think doing something as innocuous as playing a GLTA event is pretty healthy really.

And yes, there are straight players in the comp too so it's not discriminatory - the guy I beat in my R2 was straight and the year before my doubles comp was won by a friend of mine who paired with his man's straight brother (he ditched his man as his partner coz his tennis wasn't good enough! ha!). The GLTA is more social and more international than mainstream tournaments - I've played a guy from Switzerland and Thailand, a national TV newsreader, Australia's top GLTA player has played Davis Cup for Lebanon and I've definitely made more friends playing GLTA events than AMTs. But I do also like playing local AMTs. If I was younger and a better player I'd probably prefer AMTs but I don't think there's any need to question why some of us like to play GLTA events.

And it is true that tennis is a very heteronormative sport, so I do like that GLTA events allow many gay players to feel more comfortable on the court and about themselves. The last tourney I played in there was a transgender guy playing in the Open division who was actually a very strong player - without the GLTA I'm sure there are many players who wouldn't participate in competitive tennis.

Just because it's not for you, there's no need to be negative towards those of us who like it. Us gays don't have to be one way or another - we're a diverse bunch.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #148
country flag James Kidd

James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice James Kidd is just really nice

I think there is some misinformation here. Why not check out the GLTA schedule and web page to get a better understanding of what the organisation is about. Far from being exclusory or separatist you will find people of all ages, sizes , abilities and race at these events. Non gay people are welcome. Discriminatory attitudes are not... There are over 60 tournaments world wide. They are social sporting events usually held over 3 days. Some events are quite expensive because they are held indoors or at incredible / iconic venues. Other events are less than $60 dollars and include breakfast, a goodie bag , local hosted accommodation and 3 days tennis. What a great way to see the world meet new people and enjoy tennis.

What some people forget is that in three quarters of the world, gay and lesbians continue to be severly discriminated against or even worse are at risk of violence. Recent GLTA tennis events in former communist countries do a great service to local gay communities. If everything is really so great in the world of tennis, where are the out gay male players on the professional circuit? Even if local tennis clubs globally opened their arms to LGBT participants, is it really so worrying that volunteers in 60 cities from Sydney to Palm Springs and Katowice to Bangkok stage these events.

In a world where a sense of genuine community and coming together face to face with like minded people is increasingly difficult, why would anybody criticise these events that reach across metaphorical and geographical borders. GLTA events may not be everybody 's idea of fun, but that's OK. But for some people who have experienced prejudice , bullying, exclusion these events have been life changing. When Young people are still committing suicide because they believe being gay is so shameful, please don't expect everybody to have the confidence to be Out at their local tennis events. And I am sure the old chestnut of sexuality has nothing to do with tennis will be mentioned. So, if I win a tournament I would like it to be OK for my partner ( boyfriend) to be able to give me a hug or hold my hand... I just can't do that at my local club. You certainly wouldn't be able to do it in Russia! Yep, people come from Russia to play these events.

Moreover, 10000 participants every year say these events are popular. I would recommend anybody to try an event and see what a welcome they get.
James Kidd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #149
country flag oliverbecken

oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute

Will be playing my home tournament this year (Dublin - IE), but also thinking on playing abroad (Paris indoors in April and Rotterdam and s'Hertogenbosch in June/July)

Anyone played before any of these tournaments? Any good?

MARIAJO/VENUS\CLIJSTERS/SCHIAVONE\WOZNIACKI/BARTOLI\CARLA
oliverbecken is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #150
country flag Territory

^My sister lives in the Dublin. I hope to visit her within the next year or two and will try and make it coincide with the Dublin tournament :-)

Darwin, the small city near where I live is hosting the 3rd Asia Pacific Outgames this year and the tennis tournament is just about to get GLTA sanctioning. Should be good! Especially because Darwin is a small conservative city so it's gonna be pretty crazy having so many sporty homos running around there for a week!