2014 Kick Off Weekend - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #16
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation
Re: 2014 Kick Off Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
And the long-awaited new #1 for UF is...drumroll...Olivia Janowicz. Wow! Followed by Cercone and Morgan with Oyen down at #5.

Lineups for all kickoff weekend teams at the ITA site:
http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ita_...27s+lineup.pdf
Thanks.
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #17
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't see Stanford on the list. Did they not submit their lineup?
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #18
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshoes510 View Post
I didn't see Stanford on the list. Did they not submit their lineup?
They are not playing kickoff weekend/indoors. So there is still some suspense left...
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #19
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
They are not playing kickoff weekend/indoors. So there is still some suspense left...
Oops, I forgot about that.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #20
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Results summary link: http://www.itatennis.com/Events/Kick...Womens+Results

Match day central: http://www.itatennis.com/ITA360/Matchday_Central.htm
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #21
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
Nice effort by the ITA to compile the links/results. The results even seem up to date

As for the results themselves, the new format could not save us from the typical kickoff weekend snooze-fest.

In the few regions of interest:

Vandy wins the "open" region at Nebraska 4-3 over Georgia Tech by winning the only "3 set" match at #3

Texas wins 4-1 over Rice, winning both #1 & #2 singles matches 10-8 in the ST. I guess home court is an ever bigger advantage now? Rice has quietly built up a nice team, it would've been great to see a mid-major team like that at indoors.

In the last match in progress, Alabama is down badly to Oklahoma early in singles If OU can hold on, they would certainly be the Cinderella at Indoors.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #22
country flag CTSEMT

Alabama rallies and wins 4 of 5 STs to edge Oklahoma 4-3. So 16 of the top 17 teams in the rankings will be headed to Charlottesville, the lone exception being #1 Stanford who opted out.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #23
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Alabama rallies and wins 4 of 5 STs to edge Oklahoma 4-3. So 16 of the top 17 teams in the rankings will be headed to Charlottesville, the lone exception being #1 Stanford who opted out.
I just became on Oklahoma fan. That is NOT tennis... it's a gimmick way to win. THE GIRLS DESERVE BETTER. Hopefully they will consider that.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 03:21 AM   #24
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

the THEY considering this is shaping up to be a real problem--seems like a perfect storm of people that hate college tennis as it is, being influential in all the organizations that have some power.
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #25
country flag beachman49

Amen

Imagine last week.... Djoker and Wawrinka play a super tie breaker for the deciding fifth set.... that went 10-8 and was riveting tennis.

The Asst AD at New Mexico who is pushing this, along with the USTA, have interesting agendas.

I will add that at least when Volleyball changed to no side out scoring it occurred at all levels world wide. May the agenda setters should see if they can get the ATP/WTA to go to this too?
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #26
country flag beachman49

Oh, and there was another 3rd set experiment that impacted....

# 16 Vandy beat # 19 GT 4-3.... the deciding match at # 4 was won by Vandy AFTER she had lost the second set 6-1. Now there is no way to know what would happen if the third had been played out but I would bet money in Vegas the odds are heavily favored on the player that wins a second set, particularly a lop sided second set, to win the third set.

These experiments are a mess. AND VERY UNFAIR TO THE ATHLETES INVOLVED.

As said before, IF the real goal is to shorten matches than just stop at 4 pts. It messes up the individual records but no more so than this mess of an idea. And it's those blow out matches that can provide shorter work days PLUS fans would actually understand stopping play when the dual match is decided. Game over.

But when you do get an epic three setter to decide the match, that is what pulls fans in and it's fair to the athletes participating.

Last edited by beachman49 : Jan 28th, 2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #27
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman49 View Post
O
As said before, IF the real goal is to shorten matches than just stop at 4 pts. It messes up the individual records but no more so than this mess of an idea. And it's those blow out matches that can provide shorter work days PLUS fans would actually understand stopping play when the dual match is decided. Game over.
My experience with the traditional format is some 20 to 40% of the fans may leave when a match has been decided on points, (the higher 40% when its cold out and/or the last match on don't have a particular top court draw) but the majority of fans stay to watch the tennis even when the team score has already determined the winner.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote