On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 333 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #4981
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Okay, I'll apologize just SLIGHTLY for getting gratuitous with the awesome journalism on the WTA webpage, but they've forced my hand a bit when they referred to Stepanek and Kvitova as tennis' power couple.......ummmmmmm, I think that we're gonna have to redefine "power" here after both titans failed to escape the 1st round of the AO.

I wonder how many times Sampras, Fed or Rafa QUIT in a Slam match with a headache...probably not too often, huh? There seem to be quite a few swishes here at TF who are in love with Stepanek, so I'll remind them that Lance Arnstrong also went several years with nothing but negative drug tests. I wonder if Radek will have the same superb impact on Petra's career that he had on Vaidisova's. At the very least, he can teach her how to snort coke and still beat the WTA's urinalysis screenings better than his OTHER ex-love, Hingis, did. You've gotta give him credit for parlaying doubles as an excuse to masquerade as a tennis player and hang around & prey on the dim-witted offerings in the WTA...of whom there are MANY, as we can see

It would be too easy to describe this as older predator taking advantage of young girl, because Kvitova is numerically old enough that she SHOULD be able to function as an adult...at least in theory. However, she showed strong hints of her emotional maturity rating with her LAST bf who was 5 years younger and barely above the jailbait cutoff point. Petra seems to have a xenophobic fear of anyone who's not affiliated with the Czech club team that she grew up with, so that precludes her from getting a REAL manager or experienced physical trainer who might help her lose her beer belly paunch someday. She claims that she trained REALLY intensely in the offseason, especially on her mental game; if THIS is what intense training yields, then I'd hate to see what laziness would produce. I think that Kvitova should set more modest goals, like learning how to pronounce the word "matches"...as opposed to 'mah-cheese'...even Li Na can laugh at THAT one

Power couple, huh?

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 19th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #4982
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Ivanovic

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #4983
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post

My oh my, look who's trolling now. As you surely saw, I gave due props to Ana even when she beat the now-lesser Williams, Venus, a couple weeks back. I don't know how hurt Serena really was but, according to reports, she barely moved forward the entire match. Even so, this is probably the most impressive win of AI's career. I'm even more convinced now that AI did SOME sort of work on her mental game(or perhaps had a life-changing epiphany) in the offseason. The old Ana would undoubtedly have managed to choke while serving for the match.

With all due respect, Miss Evert has become an embarrassing ass-kisser now; all that blah, blah, blah about how Serena is supposedly so far superior to all the other legends(including Graf) is just laughable bullcrap. Even though Ree has great motivation, her body occasionally has the types of breakdowns she had yesterday, and that'll make catching Steffi's record near impossible cuz the physical problems will only get worse as Ree ages. Even beyond that, it's a feeble argument on Chris' part b/c even a past-her-prime Steffi held her own on court with a young Serena. It's one of those debates that's hard to prove, empirically but, like I said, Chris' ass-kissing has gotten almost shameful now...a little moderation wouldn't hurt her credibility...which SHOULD be awesome, given her past accomplishments.......Will PM you at the AO's end, Gaston

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

How many wins do you need to distinguish yourself as a WTA Rising Star--as opposed to a mediocre, Treading Water Star?
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #4984
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on Chris Evert because in Europe we don't get to hear her commentary. But I don't think she's that different from the others in that regard. Commentators are always calling the best player of the moment the GOAT. It's better for selling the game to the public. Just look at the men. When Sampras was the best they called him the GOAT. Five years later they had already changed their tune and it was all of a sudden Federer. Now they are wondering if it might be Nadal after all. Fast forward five years and they might say it's Djokovic. It doesn't really mean anything because there is no such thing as the GOAT. It's a purely fictional title that you automatically lose when the next great player arrives on the scene.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #4985
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Can't comment on Chris Evert because in Europe we don't get to hear her commentary. But I don't think she's that different from the others in that regard. Commentators are always calling the best player of the moment the GOAT. It's better for selling the game to the public. Just look at the men. When Sampras was the best they called him the GOAT. Five years later they had already changed their tune and it was all of a sudden Federer. Now they are wondering if it might be Nadal after all. Fast forward five years and they might say it's Djokovic. It doesn't really mean anything because there is no such thing as the GOAT. It's a purely fictional title that you automatically lose when the next great player arrives on the scene.
You're right about the tendency for announcers to do that, but I think that it's usually the play-by-play commentator,and not the analyst, who's guilty of that. Whatever the case, Chris still takes quite a bit farther than most analysts........She's a nice person, though, so maybe she's just trying to put the newer girls over with the fans by giving effusive praise. Who knows

Old Jan 26th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #4986
country flag bruce goose

Mexican citizens in Michoacan taking up arms in self-defense and executing justice upon the narcos where the cowardly, corrupt govt. and police force had refused to do so: Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Viva Michoacan!

Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 07:01 PM   #4987
country flag bruce goose

The highlight of today's Gaz de France final was when the GDF mascot, GazGo, in his French Tricolor costume, stopped in front of Stacy Allaster's box and asked, "Voulez-vous oler mon gas?"....and then ripped an audible, putrid-smelling monster right in her face

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #4988
country flag bruce goose

A little disappointed that the Broncos went down so easily in last Sunday's SB. Lots of armchair, know-nothing fans want to bash Manning's playoff record...but the reality is that great quarterbacks often advance their teams much further than even a fairly good QB would. That was certainly true of Elway early in his career, and now he's lauded as one of the best ever after he'd received the same BS criticism that Manning has.

Even the best QBs can only do so much, and that was seen when Elway lifted mere above-average squads to face three excellent opponents in his first 3 Super Bowls...and the amazing Dan Marino only went to ONE SB thanks to weak running games and mediocre defenses that his Miami teams usually had. I saw Denver play several games this past regular season and can strongly aver that they were NOT a great team in ANY sense of the word. Manning carried a very flawed team as far as they could've gone and then--when they met a legit, great squad--they were just overmatched. I'm not a Denver fan at all, but I wanted to give Peyton his due, and all of the knowledgeable fans know that football isn't a one-man sport, no matter how talented that player may be

Old Feb 10th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #4989
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
A little disappointed that the Broncos went down so easily in last Sunday's SB. Lots of armchair, know-nothing fans want to bash Manning's playoff record...but the reality is that great quarterbacks often advance their teams much further than even a fairly good QB would. That was certainly true of Elway early in his career, and now he's lauded as one of the best ever after he'd received the same BS criticism that Manning has.

Even the best QBs can only do so much, and that was seen when Elway lifted mere above-average squads to face three excellent opponents in his first 3 Super Bowls...and the amazing Dan Marino only went to ONE SB thanks to weak running games and mediocre defenses that his Miami teams usually had. I saw Denver play several games this past regular season and can strongly aver that they were NOT a great team in ANY sense of the word. Manning carried a very flawed team as far as they could've gone and then--when they met a legit, great squad--they were just overmatched. I'm not a Denver fan at all, but I wanted to give Peyton his due, and all of the knowledgeable fans know that football isn't a one-man sport, no matter how talented that player may be
I kinda throught the Broncos would put up an better fight as well but the Seahawks has been on fire this whole season, I kinda wonder through will Peyton be looking too go to another football team for next season

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #4990
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
I kinda throught the Broncos would put up an better fight as well but the Seahawks has been on fire this whole season, I kinda wonder through will Peyton be looking too go to another football team for next season
That's hard to picture, Trey; on the surface, Denver has a decent shot to return to the SB next year. They might be even stronger if they can avoid the injuries and suspensions that hurt their defense this season.Plus, Peyton isn't the kind of guy who'd force a trade unless he really felt, deep down, that the organization were rebuilding, and that's not the case with Denver.

On offense, Denver could do a much better job of run blocking next year, and they definitely could use more of a deep passing game to keep defenses honest. Even with the terrific rhythm that Manning and the Broncos had most of the year, you can't nickel and dime your way down the field vs. a great defense when they know that every pass will be within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. You have to stretch the field so that you have more room to operate

Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 01:39 PM   #4991
country flag bruce goose

Not a bad week for Caroline, actually, when you consider that Venus has been mostly in dominant form again. Will assume that Caro'll pop up in the California desert next week at IW

Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 02:05 PM   #4992
country flag bruce goose

She definitely deserves a chance to prove herself as she's still only 20, but I wonder how disappointed the WTA will be if they find out that Bouchard isn't nearly as good as they WISHED she was. Then again, under Allaster's jokeworthy quasi-leadership, it's become clear that a gal can sleep around with half of the ATP...plus a multitude of others...never stick with a full-time,respectable coach or hire a physical trainer or ever set a decent example for young girls by showing commitment or integrity.......and they'll STILL hype and promote her as if she were the second coming of Graf, as long she's superficially attractive enough and smiles well for the camera

The WTA: The only "professional" sports league that coddles underachieving, disinterested athletes and encourages a slacker environment where the fans get cheated out of their ticket purchases by spoiled tankers

Old Mar 9th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #4993
country flag bruce goose

A cute difference between dogs and cats: Even when the kitties are hissing ferociously at each other, they'll forget all that's happened and run away side-by-side when you chase them off your driveway in the middle of the night

Old Mar 16th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #4994
country flag bruce goose

Saw a dove yesterday, just walking on the road that runs by my gf's house. He/she appeared to have a damaged wing(was holding it in a strange position). A small dog then approached and so I started to run over there to protect the dove, but it managed to take flight when it saw the dog and actually reached normal altitude in flying to safety on top of a house.......I was glad to witness that happy ending

Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 03:11 PM   #4995
country flag bruce goose

Went to a recording studio yesterday where the owner had brought his weimerauner puppy(not sure if that's the correct spelling...and don't really care). The owner has a ranch outside the city so 'Zeus' will have plenty of space to run around when he's fully grown, but he's only 2 months old right now. There's a steep, winding flight of stairs at the studio, and Zeus whimpered(both times) at the prospect of ascending and descending for the first time, but he gingerly overcame his fear. It was a very cute sight

Closed Thread