The Helen Wills Thread - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #46
country flag Charles Friesen

Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice
Re: The Helen Wills Thread

Helen Wills 1938 (age 32 most of the year)
Singles record: 28-2 (0 inferred)
Tournament victories 4 (of 6 played)

Context
Wills returns to play 6 singles tournaments, the most she's played since 1927. Nevertheless, the USTA deems there is 'insufficient data' to rank her and leaves her name off their yearly rankings. She wins 4 tournaments, most importantly Wimbledon, still regarded as the world's premier tournament and boasting the deepest field. She earns #1 in most minds for her efforts.

World Top Ten Rankings*(consolidation of Myers, Gillou, Potter, and American Lawn Tennis magazine)
(consolidated numerically, 10 pts for 1st, 9 for 2nd, etc)
1. Moody
2. Marble
3. Jacobs (tie)
3. Sperling (tie)
5. Jedrzejowska
6. Fabyan
7. Mathieu
8. Wynne
9. Bundy
10. Scriven

Tournaments

May 8-14,*North London Hard Court Tournament, Highbury, England*
1R: Helen Wills Moody d. Enid Wayard 6-1 6-0
2R: Moody d. Miss L. Throne 6-0 6-1
3R: Moody d. Miss H. R. E. Bullen 6-1 6-0
QF: Moody d. H. Jarvis 6-0 6-1
SF: Moody d. Sheila Paterson 6-2 6-2
FI: Helen Wills Moody d. Yvonne Law 6-2 7-5*
This is the first time Helen has played on clay in Britain.

Record 6-0

May 16-21,Surrey Grass Court Champs, Surbiton, England (Grass)
1R: Helen Wills Moody (US) d. Mrs Joan Pittmann 6-0 6-1
2R: Helen Wills Moody (US) d. Margaret Morphew (SA) 6-3 6-3
QF: Moody d. Phyllis Mudford King 6-2 7-5
SF: Moody d. Scriven 6-2 5-7 6-3
FI: Helen Wills Moody (US) d. Margot Lumb 6-3 6-4

Helen Wills Moody denies rumours of a romance and impending marriage with Tallant Tubbs. "I am heartily tired of these rumors about me, none of which has any foundation. My visit is being spolied by these rumors.

Helen faces her greatest opposition in the semis when Scriven gets everything back into play. Unusually she loses a set after leading 5-4.

Record 5-0

May ??-June 4,*St.George's Hill Tournament, Weybridge, England (Grass)
2R Helen Wills Moody d. P. Anderson 6-2 6-0
3R Moody d. Sheila Piercey (SA) 6-2 6-2
QF Mary Hardwick d. Moody 1-6 6-3 6-3

In 1935 Hardwick came within two points of winning vs Wills at St.George's Hill. This time she does it, leaving onlookers in a state of shock.

Record 2-1

June 10-11,*Wightman Cup
United States d. Great Britain 5-2
Helen Wills Moody (US) d. Peggy Scriven 6-0 7-5
Moody (US) d. Stammers 6-2 3-6 6-3
Doubles
Evelyn Dearman/Joan Ingram (GB) d. Moody/Dorothy Bundy 6-2 7-5

Record 2-0

June 13-18,*London Championships, England (Grass)
Venue: Queen's Club*
2R Helen Wills Moody d. P.L. Hervey 6-1 6-0
3R Moody d. Mrs Alston 6-0 6-0
QF Helen Wills Moody (US) d. Pittman 6-1 6-0
SF Sperling d. Moody 8-6 6-2

After Moody losses to soft hitting Sperling some observers suggest she tanked the match, as the next person in the draw is the Polish star "Jaja". They point out that when she lost at St.George's Hill to Hardwick the circumstances were the same, as Jedrzejowska was next up. These cynics reason that Wills doesn't want to meet the hard hitting Pole (whom she's never played) until Wimbledon.

Record 3-1

June 20-July 1,*Wimbledon, England (Grass)
Helen Moody (US) [1] bye
Moody [1] d. Hopman 6-3 6-4
Moody [1] d. Glover 6-4 7-5
Moody [1] d. Heine-Miller 8-6 6-4
Moody [1] d. Stammers [6] 6-2 6-1
Moody [1] d. Sperling [4] 12-10 6-4
FI:*Helen Wills Moody [1] d. Helen Jacobs 6-4 6-0

Mixed
1R: bye
2R: Jean Borotra (Fr)/Helen Wills Moody (US) d. Roderich Menzel (Cz)/Doris Metaxa Howard (Fr) 6-3 6-4
3R: Borotra/Moody [6] d. Hughan/Hoahing 6-4 6-1
4R: Borotra/Wills Moody [6] d. Lysaght/Yorke 6-2 2-6 6-0
QF: Budge/Marble [1] d. Borotra/Wills Moody [6] 6-1 6-4

Record 6-0

July 4-9,*Irish Championships, Dublin
1R: Helen Wills Moody (US)-bye
2R: Moody d. J. Adam default
3R: Moody d. Dorothy Curley 6-1 6-2
QF: Moody d. Joy Myerscough 6-0 6-0
SF: Moody d. Patsy O'Connell 6-2 6-3
FI: Helen Wills Moody (US) d. Thelma Jarvis (GB) 6-4 6-2

The day Moody wins the Irish Chmps Helen Jacobs boards the Georgia to sail home. Jacobs walks with a cane. The United Kingdom is still abuzz with sympathy for "Little Helen" and controversy over Wills-Moody's perceived coldness. Record crowds come out in Ireland to see the 8 time Wimbledon champ.
A full report of Wills Irish visit may be found at: (When Helen Wills-Moody Came to Ireland (1938), by Newmark.
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=529594

Record 4-0

Last edited by Charles Friesen : Jan 17th, 2014 at 03:57 AM.
Charles Friesen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 03:22 AM   #47

Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice

Helen Wills 1939 (age 33 most of the year)
Singles record: 0-0 (0 inferred)
Tournament victories 0 (of 0 played)

Wills does not play singles this year.

September 23-October 2,*Pacific Southwest Championships, Los Angeles*
MX
QF Helen Wills Moody/Adrian Quist (Aus) d. Bundy/Josip Palada (Yug) 6-1 6-1
SF Fabyan/Cooke d. Moody/Quist 6-3 7-5

September 30-October 9,*Pacific Coast Championships, Berkeley
MX
2R Helen Wills Moody/Harry Hopman (Aus) d. Arnold/E.G.Chandler 6-4 6-1
QF Moody/Hopman d. Hardwck/Hare 6-2 6-1
SF Moody/Hopman d. Scott/Van Horn 4-6 6-1 9-7
FI Wolfenden/Bromwich d. Moody/Hopman 8-6 10-8
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #48

Helen Wills 1940 (age 34 most of the year)
Singles record: 0-0 (0 inferred)
Tournament victories 0 (of 0 played)

Wills does not play singles this year.

Sept 12-21,*Pacific Southwest, Los Angeles (Hard)
Helen Wills Moody, 35, won the mixed doubles championship with Jack Kramer.

This is the last year there is a recorded match for Wills. She injures a finger in an incident with a dog in 1941. She related the tale in old age, saying it ended her career.
She did occasionally play non-competitively. At least once she played doubles against Maureen Connolly who relates that she would have needed more time to get used to the heavy pace of Wills' shots.

Wills was an introvert. Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman says of her "you have no idea how awkward." But in the solace of her mind she found the will to concentrate without showing emotion, earning her the epithet, "Little Miss Poker Face." Her mantra while playing was "every stroke, every stroke, every stroke." It's still good advice...

Undoubtedly, Wills was one of the all time greats. Her record seems incredible now. I wish I could have seen her play.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #49
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice

As Mrs. Roark she still participated occasionally in tennis tournaments after 1940: she reached the mixed doubles final at the Pacific Southwest Championships in 1945 and she won the women's doubles (with Mrs. Kelleher) at the Southern California Championships in 1947.
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #50
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

This makes for wonderful and informative reading Charles-well done!

LKK is correct about Helen performing in some doubles later on. We will find post these results too.

If anyone ever wants to do tennis research in New york the Fischer is said to be a treasure. I've never been, but they have player cards that list out all career matches for top players from the early days. Helen's results would likely be among them.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #51

Delighted to hear it, LKK... the more info the better!

Rollo, I'm nowhere near New York (Vancouver actually...) but if I were there, what exactly is the Fischer?