Ignore feature is flawed?! - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 16th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #16
country flag Steve
Webmaster

Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future Steve has a brilliant future
Re: Ignore feature is flawed?!

What KeysisGoat said was dead on. the ignore feature will ignore the posts but once their post is quoted it becomes part of the next persons post and the forum software will not notice it and create a block. It is the flaw to the feature : /

- dm, community support

Old Feb 6th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #17
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What KeysisGoat said was dead on. the ignore feature will ignore the posts but once their post is quoted it becomes part of the next persons post and the forum software will not notice it and create a block. It is the flaw to the feature : /

- dm, community support
Anyway the software will be changed in the future?
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #18
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma View Post
Anyway the software will be changed in the future?
Not in any way that would make blocking the quotes of ignored users viable.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #19
country flag James
Kookie Supporter

James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute James has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysisGOAT View Post
Not in any way that would make blocking the quotes of ignored users viable.
It would be possible to disable quoting altogether, but that is not a very desirable outcome.

My Sporcle quizzes: http://www.sporcle.com/games/James33...nament-winners
http://www.sporcle.com/games/James33/wta-nationalities

Enjoy playing quizzes and games at FunTrivia: http://www.funtrivia.com/?ref=James25

RIP ELENA BALTACHA
James is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #20
country flag Shifty-Eyed Dog
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future Shifty-Eyed Dog has a brilliant future

Would be nice, like in Facebook, to be able to hide posts from view. But I guess it's futile because others will still quote from them.
Shifty-Eyed Dog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #21
country flag DollyRose
GOTHIC LOLITA

DollyRose has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty-Eyed Dog View Post
Would be nice, like in Facebook, to be able to hide posts from view. But I guess it's futile because others will still quote from them.
This is the problem the quoting of posts, but with all the posters we have we need the ability to quote. No one would know what post went with what other post, if we couldn't quote!
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #22
country flag M.A.S.L.

M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future M.A.S.L. has a brilliant future

I prefer the way it was untill last year.
In that way I could choose in which threads or moments the post from a ignored user could be useful and then perhaps read it or not. My choice.
Now I am adding and deleting the ignore list every week for one or two post that I want to read. Hard work for my feeble mind.
I think is enough hiding the message and no the user name. Because I found annoying the silly messages not the names of their owners.
That is the case in quoted messages. I can read only the new message and the quoted part is easy for me to ignore, although it's annoying find it like single message.
M.A.S.L. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 05:25 AM   #23
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
That was a good improvement. Would it be possible to have a function where if you select a word, all the thread which have that word in the title would be hidden? An example is where GM is full of threads about a certain player and if you have that player's name on an ignore list, then all the threads in GM with that player name in the title would be hidden.
My selected word would be "class" and any form of it.... The entire thread, if it's in the title, or any single post including the word.
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysisGOAT View Post
The short answer is I doubt it. The long answer is I doubt it, but even if it is, it's probably a bad idea.

Quoted text is contained within the post, which is why you see it, it's also why quotes such as the one below can be made despite not being actual posts. The ignore function doesn't delete anything, it just hides posts. Reading and removing/hiding sections of posts goes way beyond that.

The quote will link back to a post that wasn't made by Sir Mixalot and does not contain the quoted text.

It may be possible to install a script that hides posts that quote posts that would be hidden (I.e. By ignored users). I genuinely do not know. But it would probably slow the forum down, considering what it would have to do (read every post on that page, check if it contains any quotes, then check if any of those posts refer to posters you have on ignore and the hide those posts). It also means that posts containing quotes of more than one user (e.g. You and someone on your ignore list) would be hidden, even though you don't have me on ignore and you may well want to know what I said in response to you. It could also mean that posts quoting a post that quotes a post by a user you have ignored would be hidden (because it's quoting a hidden post) and so forth.

An alternative could be removing the text contained within a [ quote ] [JN: added spaces] block if it refers to an ignored user. But that leaves you with a context free reply to the quoted text and fails completely if not all of the quoted sections of a hidden post contain the post ID. For example if I broke the post down into multiple quote blocks to respond to parts of the post individually but didn't paste in the ID into any quote blocks I made you'd be seeing parts of a post, but not all of it which would be annoying.

Cue someone from VScope telling me that it's actually very simple and can be done straight away with none of the problems I foresaw.
It can be done, but the way I see it, if you've taken the initiative to ignore a poster, seeing their name in a quote is a simple matter of scrolling past it. I often do it with bothersome posters I don't have on ignore.

SN: KeysisGOAT, you can't type [ quote ] in a post w/o the spaces, cuz it's seen as an opening QUOTE by the system when the post is quoted. Just an FYI.

My Top 3 Faves!
JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote