Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 205 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #3061
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

In honor of WINTER, the 1989 U.S. Hardcourt semi versus Mandlikova in San Antonio, Texas. This is one match I would really love to see.

Graf, Henriksson roll into final
Austin American-Statesman
Sunday, March 5, 1989
James Hill

SAN ANTONIO - The conditions were not exactly ideal at McFarlin Tennis Center Saturday.

The temperature was in the low 30s, the wind was a howling 25 miles per hour and the chill factor was 5 degrees.

But, in spite of all that, top-seeded Steffi Graf of West Germany advanced to today's final of the $200,000 U.S. Women's Hardcourt Championships with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-3 victory over No. 6 Hana Mandlikova of Australia.

"I've never played in such cold, windy weather," said Graf, who upped her singles record to 16-0 for the year. "It was just difficult to play tennis. She was playing all right, but I don't count it as a regular match."

Graf, who has 32 primary circuit titles, will face the unseeded Ann Henricksson of Mill Valley, Calif., who beat Katrina Adams of Chicago 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in a one hour, 38-minute match.

But Graf had to work for that first set.

Mandlikova, who sat out much of 1988 with a hamstring injury, at one point led 2-0 in the opening set. In fact, the former French, Australian and U.S. Opens winner led 4-2 at one point.

But Graf jumped on Mandlikova's serve and tied the score at 4-4. Uncharacteristically, Graf lost her serve for the third time in the set and Mandlikova went up 5-4.

Graf countered with a service break and the score was once again tied at 5-5. Both players held serve as the set went into a tie-breaker.

Mandlikova led early in the breaker 2-0, but Graf kept it close from then on. The 19-year-old Graf broke a 4-4 deadlock to capture the final three points and the set.

The only time in the second set Graf was in trouble was when she lost her serve in the sixth game, tying the score at 3-3. But Graf put her patented volley and forehand to work and closed out the final three games in front of 1,257 fans.

"I just played some great volleys," said Graf. "But it was hard to play. You just don't get any rhythm."

For Henricksson, ranked No. 70, it will be only her third primary circuit final.

Henricksson, a former All-American at UCLA, led 4-1 in the second set before Adams rallied and took the final five games.

But Henricksson closed out the match by taking the final two games of the third set on a service break.

"We were having trouble playing," said Henricksson, who will take on Graf for the first time. "In the second and third set, I was able to toss the ball better for my serve and I was serving a lot better.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #3062

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

We note that they make the singles play through it, but not the doubles. Incidentally, this is another case of Steffi stepping in save the WTA from needing to pay a fine to a tournament because Pam Shriver pulled out of the singles but not the doubles. The Sorority Sisters were still trying their best to get Steffi to overplay herself.

Graf, Henriksson take Hardcourt semifinals
Sunday, March 5, 1989
Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Steffi Graf, ranked No. 1 in the world, overcame Arctic winds and a strong challenge from Hana Mandlikova for a 7-6 (7-4), 6-3 victory Saturday in the semifinals of the U.S. Women's Hardcourt Tennis Championships.

Ann Henricksson of Mill Valley, Calif., defeated Katrina Adams of Chicago 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in Saturday's other semifinal.

Freezing temperatures and wind chills that dropped to zero hampered play at the McFarlin Tennis Center.

"I have never played in such terrible weather," said Graf. "You have to have luck. You have no rhythm at all. I'm happy that it's over."

Graf appeared on the verge of losing her first set of the year in the opening set. Down 5-4, she fought off two set points and rallied to even the set at 5-5.

"I missed an easy forehand volley. The whole match would have been totally different, obviously," Mandlikova said. "With her big swings, it's harder for her to play in this weather. But she came up with good points when she needed it."

Graf went on to win the first set in a tie-breaker.

Henricksson defeated Adams in a match between unseeded players. She will meet Graf for the first time in Sunday's final.

Graf said she hopes the final will be postponed if weather conditions don't improve. The National Weather Service said snow is possible.

Saturday's two doubles matches were postponed when weather conditions did not improve. They were tentatively rescheduled for 11 a.m. today.

The singles final is scheduled for 2 p.m.

The winner in the $200,000 tournament collects $40,000.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #3063

When the USA Network put together their retirement tribute to Steffi, one announcer mentioned his enduring memory of Steffi was from this tournament: When everyone else was holed up inside, Steffi was out there practicing, ski cap and all, in the wind and cold.

Graf, Henricksson shiver way to final
Houston Chronicle
Sunday, MARCH 5, 1989
CHARLES CARDER

SAN ANTONIO - Steffi Graf and Ann Henricksson will meet today in the final of the Shiver Open, previously known as the U.S. Women's Hardcourts Tennis Tournament.

However, weather forecasts indicate that prospects of the championship match being played are questionable.

Although the doubles semifinals were delayed late Saturday, tournament officials would not discuss the prospect of the singles championship match being postponed.

Ski championships have been decided under better conditions than existed at the McFarlin Tennis Center on Saturday. The temperature was in the mid-30s, with wind gusts to 35 mph. A low of 26 was forecast Saturday night, with a wind-chill factor of 15. It was snowing in the nearby hill country Saturday night.

"I have never been in such cold weather, windy weather, the most terrible conditions I have ever played in," the No. 1-ranked Graf said. She had disposed of sixth-seeded Hana Mandlikova of Australia 7-6 (7-4), 6-3 in a match that seemed longer than the 1:24 it consumed.

Henricksson, of Mill Valley, Calif., needed 14 minutes longer to get past Katrina Adams of Chicago 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in the other semifinal, which matched a pair of unseeded players.

Mandlikova returned to the tour last month in Australia after taking six months off because of a hamstring injury.

She broke Graf, winner of the Grand Slam and an Olympic gold medal in 1988, four times, but lost her serve five times.

The match actually turned on the 10th game of the first set, when Mandlikova missed three set-point opportunities. She led 40-15, but lost the next two points and five of the next six. That allowed Graf to even the game count and set up a tiebreaker.

Mandlikova led 2-0 and 4-3 in the tiebreaker, but Graf won the next four points on three errors and a placement.

They were even again at 3-3 in the second set, but again Graf put together three straight wins to close out her 15th match win of the year.

"It is very difficult to play tennis in those conditions," Graf said. "You tell yourself that you have to move, but you have to have a lot of luck and you can't get into any rhythm."

Graf was tactful when asked if the match should have been postponed. "I'm just happy it's over. It is better than not playing.

"I can think of a million things to do, and playing tennis in this weather would be the last."

Graf said she could not count this as a "normal" match.

"At 5-4 for her, and serving at 5-40, I played some great forehands. I was able to run around a couple and they all went the right way."

"She's human, she's beatable," was Mandlikova's analysis of the match. "I think I played a very tactical match.

"I missed an easy forehand volley on set point in the first set. If I had made that shot, the whole match might have been different."

Mandlikova, whose ranking has dropped to 51st during her layoff, was pleased with her tournament performance.

"Confidence is the No. 1 thing," she explained. "Having three set points against Graf is important. I think I should have won the match.

"But she came up with some good shots at the right time. I didn't come up with the right pressure at the right time. I should have come in, and I stayed back. That's life."

And that is a great departure from the Mandlikova of the past, who has been her own worst enemy.

"Whether that (mellowing) is from having been off for sixth months or having turned 27 last week, only time will tell," a close observer of Mandlikova commented.

Henricksson, a pro since 1981, is playing in only her third tournament final.

"I'll go out and enjoy it and do my best," she said after the Graf-Mandlikova match.

The Henricksson-Adams match was streaky. Adams won three straight to lead 3-1, Henricksson won nine straight to close out the first set and lead 4-0 in the second. Adams then won six straight to even the sets.

They were even at 3 in the third set, but Henricksson won the next three to finish it.

"This is the worst weather I've ever played in, anywhere," Henricksson said. But she was not distressed about her streaky play.

"I can lose streaks like that very easily," she said. "I just try not to get myself out of the set. And sometimes I think a little too much during the match. I was able to turn it around when I started getting my first serve in play."
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #3064

Graf secures 2nd U.S. Hardcourt title
Monday, March 6, 1989
James Hill

SAN ANTONIO - Steffi Graf made it through the week at McFarlin Tennis Center.

Despite freezing temperatures and gusting winds, Graf, the top seed and defending champion of the $200,000 U.S. Women's Hardcourt Championships, won the tournament with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over unseeded Ann Henricksson Sunday.

"In the second set, I tried to play the ball close to the line," said Graf, who stands at 17-0 in singles play this year. "I would say that I am playing better now than I did last year, but it's really hard to show it because of the weather."

Graf collected her 33rd primary circuit title and the $40,000 first prize on a day when temperatures were in the high 30s, although the sun was shining. Saturday in the semifinals, the skies were overcast, the temperature was 32 degrees and the wind was whipping at 25 mph, producing a chill factor of 5 degrees. The two doubles semifinals were moved to Sunday morning because of the weather.

The weather wasn't so bad Sunday, but both singles finalists wore warmups, although Henricksson, a native of Minnesota, played in short sleeves.

It Graf's third championship this year. The 19-year-old West German already had won the Australian Open and Virginia Slims of Washington.

The doubles crown and $12,000 first prize-check went to top seeds Pam Shriver of Baltimore and Katrina Adams of Chicago, who beat No. 2 Patty Fendick of Sacramento, Calif., and Jill Hetherington of Canada 3-6, 6-1, 6-4.

Fendick and Hetherington took home $6,000 for their efforts.

Graf finished off the first set in near-perfect form, in 22 minutes.

But the second set was a different story. Henricksson, ranked No. 71 in the world, kept the match even until the fifth game.

With the score tied 2-2, Henricksson, the server, had advantage twice, while Graf had the advantage four times in a game that went to seven deuces. Graf prevailed and took the next game to go up 4-2.

But Henricksson stayed alive by holding her serve and closed to 4-3.

Graf won the next game, but Henricksson held her serve during the ninth and closed to 5-4.

Graf then battled back from love-40, winning five straight points to take home the title for the second straight year at the United States Tennis Association event.

"I learned that my type of game - serve and volley - is the best way to beat Steffi," said Henricksson, from Mill Valley, Calif., who was playing in her third primary circuit final and who earned $20,000. "All you can do is hope that she won't pass you. You can hurt her coming into the net."

Shriver, ranked No. 2 in the world in doubles (she had won 73 doubles titles coming into Sunday's match) and Adams played together for the first time during the San Antonio event.

After losing the first set, Shriver and Adams got down to work in the second.

They were up 3-0 before Fendick, nursing a shoulder injury, finally held serve (for the only time during the set).

A turning point in the third set was the seventh game when Fendick was broken.

"We just out-toughed them," said Shriver, who earlier this year captured three doubles crowns (Sydney and Australian Open with Navratilova and Washington with Betsy Nagelsen). "Today's opponents were a very good team."
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #3065

Graf wins her second Hardcourts
Houston Chronicle
Monday, MARCH 6, 1989
CHARLES CARDER:

SAN ANTONIO - Steffi Graf didn't rank her second Texas visit as a memorable moment, but it will be one that's hard to forget.

She probably would just as soon forget the fact that she missed a lot of line-pass opportunities in the second set Sunday but she certainly will remember the cold weather that was the highlight of the U.S. Women's Hardcourts championships at the McFarlin Tennis Center.

Between the two extremes was a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Ann Henricksson that produced Graf's third tournament win of the year and 33rd of her career before a shivering, bundled-up audience of 11,000 [typo/OCR-o].

The West German, who is the No. 1-ranked player in the world, captured her second straight San Antonio tournament but was not overly pleased with the performance.

"Once in a while you try to do too much," Graf said. "In the second set I tried too much for the lines, after I had hit some good passing shots in the first set. It is difficult to play at a constant.

"It was a little warmer today (upper-30s compared to Saturday's low 30s). I think the first set she really didn't have a feel for the wind," Graf said. "But in the second set she came off with some good shots, some good volleys. It was nice compared to Saturday."

Henricksson removed her warmup jacket after the first game, saying later she felt "restricted when I play in sleeves." Graf played the entire match in warmup jacket and pants. "I felt fine dressed like that, but there was no way I could have played if I had taken them off," Graf said.

"I hit some good passing shots in the first set and tactically I played all right."

Henricksson also thought she tried for too many lines, noting that "you just can't do that when it is this windy."

She also felt that she learned something about playing Graf.

"I think that my type of game - serve and volley - is the best against Steffi. I certainly couldn't stay back and trade ground strokes with her. She snaps her wrists and you can't really tell whether she is going to go across the court or down the line.

"That's the way you can hurt her, by coming in to the net."

Henricksson came to the net 58 times compared to 19 by Graf in the 76-minute match. She felt the weather conditions might have been in her favor.

"There were a few shots that I hit that might not have gone in had it not been for the wind," Henricksson said. "This week will definitely go down as a plus for me. You always look forward to playing the best player in the world."

The tournament also provided Henricksson with another new experience.

"The first time people clapped, all wearing gloves, it was a sound I had never heard before," she said. "I thought it was a herd of buffalo passing."

Graf lost only seven points in mounting a 5-0 lead but Henricksson held in love in Game 6. Graf served out for the first set in 21 minutes.

They were even after four games of the second but Henricksson was broken in the fifth game after the count went to deuce seven times. Henricksson had a break point in the sixth game and three in the 10th, but was unable to convert on either occasion.

Pam Shriver and Katrina Adams, playing together for the first time, won the doubles championship. The top-seeded team scored a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory over the second-seeded duo of Patty Fendick and Jill Hetherington.

Because of Saturday's weather conditions, the semifinals were delayed and played Sunday morning. Adams-Shriver beat Manuela Maleeva-Eva Pfaff 6-1, 6-4 and Fendick-Hetherington beat Elly Hakami-Karen Schimper 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 in the semis.

Elsewhere At Abilene, Derek Rostagno defeated Robbie Weiss 6-4, 6-2 to capture the singles championship of the Abilene Mental Health Association Pro Indoor. Patrick McEnroe and Houston's Richie Reneberg prevailed in the doubles final, taking a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Tim Wilkison and David Wheaton ... At Nancy, France, third-seeded Guy Forget won the second tournament of his career, defeating seventh-seeded Michiel Schapers 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) in the final of the Lorraine Open.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #3066

These two are not really Steffi articles, but they further explain the Graf-WTA/IMG feud.

Women's tour split over new sponsor
The Washington Post
Wednesday, JUNE 22, 1988
JOHN FEINSTEIN

LONDON - While Wimbledon holds center stage in tennis for the next two weeks, a bitter battle for control of the women's game may come to a conclusion by the end of this week.

The Women's International Tennis Association began searching at the start of this year for a sponsor to finance the tour beginning in 1990 since its contract with Virginia Slims is up at the end of 1989.

Now, the WITA finds itself with two suitors: Philip Morris, the parent company of Virginia Slims, which wants to keep the contract, and Procter and Gamble, which is bidding to take over the sponsorship.

In the byzantine world of tennis, it will take a 7-2 vote of the WITA board to award the contract to either company. The votes are divided into three groups: The players have three votes; the tournament directors have three votes and the International Tennis Federation has three votes. Right now, the vote is split, 4-4-1, with the ITF giving its votes to Procter and Gamble, the players giving their three votes to Slims and the tournament directors divided.

This is exactly the situation Slims is counting on. As long as the players stick with them, Procter and Gamble can't win the contract and the odds are it will eventually withdraw its offer.

On Sunday, the players met to hear final pitches from the two companies and reconfirmed their support of Philip Morris after the company agreed to make another of its affiliates, General Foods, the title sponsor for tournaments in Europe.

There had been concern in the WITA about being associated with a cigarette company, but that was overridden apparently by the compromise and the loyalty of the older players to Virginia Slims, which has sponsored women's tennis for 13 of the last 18 years. Slims, according to sources, will remain the title sponsor for American tournaments.

According to both sides, the vote probably will end the Procter and Gamble bid since it now appears there is no hope of achieving the 7-2 majority and because the company is uneasy about getting involved in a sport where the majority of the players have lined up against its sponsorship.

Both Procter and Gamble and Advantage International, the management group that has been representing it, worked feverishly last week during the women's tournament at Eastbourne to turn enough players in their direction to at least split the vote. But with Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert, the two longtime stars of the women's tour, on Slims' side, it was an uphill battle from the start.

The only major player pushing hard for Procter and Gamble was Steffi Graf, who is an Advantage client, but she was outnumbered and outweighed on the issue by Navratilova and Evert, who are both clients of IMG.

Unless there is a radical change in the situation at the WITA meetings later this week, Philip Morris will likely end up with a new five-year contract beginning in 1990.

"If the players are satisfied with this compromise and aren't concerned about the cigarette issue, then it's probably over," one source said. "The reason for looking for a new sponsor from their point of view was that. If they think this resolves it then they aren't likely to change their vote."

Ironically, the battle over the women's sponsorship comes at a time when the men, who are being dropped by R.J. Reynolds-Nabisco at the end of 1989, are looking for new sponsorship while fighting with their tournament directors over TV rights. The Men's Tennis Council wants control over TV contracts - except for the four Grand Slam tournaments.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #3067

So in one corner we have the American Heart Association, the American Lung Association, the American Cancer Society, the International Tennis Federation, and the Graf camp. In the other corner, we have Virginia Slims Cigarettes, Phillip Morris, Inc., the WTA, and the King, Evert, and Navratilova camps. At stake: an extra few million dollars from the cigarette company. BJK actually spun this as a freedom of choice/speech thing!

STRANGE BEDFELLOWS - Sponsorship of sports events by tobacco and alcohol firms is drawing more and more fire
The Orange County Register
Tuesday, August 16, 1988
Janis Carr

It is a habit many are trying to kick, this mixture of alcohol, tobacco and sports. But like any addiction, the quitting isn't easy, especially when profits are at stake.

For nearly two decades, alcohol and tobacco products have adorned the names of sporting events.

Take the $127,300 Ironman Triathlon, brought to you by Bud Light.

Or the women's tennis tour, sponsored by Virginia Slims for $16.7 million.

The $72,000 International Cycling Classic has Coors along for the ride, and NASCAR racing has the R.J. Reynolds tobacco company at the controls of the Winston 500. The list is long.

To sponsor an event, a company gives money to a promoter or organizer, often for the prize fund. In exchange, the company gets to link its name with the sport. For example, Marlboro's logo will adorn the hull of the Stars and Stripes catamaran that will be used in the America's Cup sailing race, and Miller beer labels are on Bobby Allison's Buick.

Some companies will buy "title sponsorship," which lets them name the event after themselves. Those are events such as the Budweiser 500, Jose Cuervo Beach Volleyball Championships and the Camel GT motor-racing series.

But there's trouble brewing for these sponsors. Sporting events and promoters are feeling increased pressure from coalitions concerned about the effects of tobacco and alcohol to drop those sponsorships. And the coalitions want sports to go cold turkey.

In London last June, the Coalition on Smoking Or Health, a Washington DC-based organization, bombarded members of the Women's International Tennis Association with pleas to change sponsors. The Women's International Professional Tennis Council, WITA and representatives of Phillip Morris met at Wimbledon to discuss the expansion of its worldwide sponsorship.

Virginia Slims, a subsidiary of Phillip Morris Inc., has sponsored women's tennis for 13 of the past 18 years and last year pumped $16.7 million into the tour. The company is responsible for a large chunk of the $300,000 being offered as prize money in last week's Virginia Slims of Los Angeles.

The coalition, which involves three large health organizations -- the American Heart Association, the American Lung Association and the American Cancer Society -- and Advantage International, an association of athletes' agents, had helped persuade Procter & Gamble to bid for the sponsorship, according to coalition spokesman Cliff Douglas.

But Procter & Gamble withdrew its offer. The WIPTC and Phillip Morris are proceeding with exclusive negotiations.

"They (Proctor & Gamble) claimed they didn't want to break up the strong bond between Virginia Slims and the tour," Douglas said. "We received the strongest opposition from the older players, like Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova. They've been with the tour longer and wanted to keep it."

Douglas said some of the younger players were more receptive to the idea of a new sponsor.

"The younger ones feel it's wrong that the tour is promoting a lethal product," he said. "Cigarette smoking doesn't have a place in an athletic world."

Billie Jean King, who was instrumental in bringing women's tennis and Phillip Morris together in 1970, said censorship is dangerous.

"The freedom of choice is really important," King said. "When you start censoring, where do you start and when do you stop?

"Do you think if you take away cigarette sponsorships people are going to stop smoking? Baloney."

According to the Coalition on Smoking Or Health, 320,000 people in the United States die each year from diseases related to cigarette smoking. The organization also estimates there are 50 million smokers worldwide.

Officials from the WIPTC and Phillip Morris were reluctant to discuss the issue because of the sensitive nature of the negotiations. But Jane Brown, manager of the WIPTC, said the anti-smoking wave that has hit the country will play a factor in the meetings.

Ellen Merlo, vice president of marketing for Virginia Slims, led the recent negotiations in London. She said she is hopeful of a major announcement at the US Open.

But the Coalition on Smoking Or Health's fight didn't go up in smoke. According to Douglas, Phillip Morris agreed to drop the Slims name from tournaments in Europe. Tournaments overseas now will bear the name of a product made by General Foods, a subsidiary of Phillips Morris.

Congressman Mike Synar (D-Okla.) first introduced legislation in 1986 seeking a similar ban of advertising and promotion of cigarettes in this country. According to a spokesman in Synar's office, the bill has been gaining support each year, and his staff expects it to pass sometime in the next two years.

"It's incredibly tough trying to put health up against a multibillion-dollar industry," said Dr. Rick Richards, president of Doctors Ought to Care, a physicians' organization that helps promoters find alternative sponsors.

"Health can be pretty boring when you have the opportunity to line your pocket with millions of dollars," he said.

According to Richards, DOC has been monitoring the sports scene for the past 11 years, and it helped campaign against the WITA's association with Virginia Slims. He said his organization has been involved with many groups that have protested at Slims events.

"I think the 15-, 16-, 17-year-old competitors are seeing a cigarette company as a source of major embarrassment," Richards said. "I also think that other ethical corporations are not going to want to work with legal drug pushers."

Matt Walker, director of sports marketing and sponsorships for R.J. Reynolds, said his company is aware of the anti-smoking forces, but doesn't anticipate the tobacco company leaving the sports world soon.

R.J. Reynolds has been involved in sports promotions since 1971 and sponsors 1,600 sports events, ranging from auto racing to golf to Hobie Cat sailing. Although Walker wouldn't release R.J. Reynolds' budget for sports promotions and advertising, he did say the tobacco company spends $10 million to $12 million on its Camel GT Points Series.

"We, of course, are hoping the Synar bill doesn't pass," Walker said. "It's a matter of freedom of speech, and if it passes it would have serious constitutional limitations and flaws.

"Whatever the case, whether the bill passes in whole or in part, we plan to continue our involvement with sports programs."

Walker defended the tobacco industry, saying, "The cigarette industry is a mature industry, meaning it's a no-growth industry as far as the number of new consumers. Companies compete for that group of existing smokers, not new smokers. Advertisements are designed to enhance brand loyalty and to get them to try our products. That's what we as sponsors try to do in TV spots and in sports promotions."

When it comes to advertising, Anheuser-Busch is the king of beers. Russ Bell of Fleishman and Hilliard, which handles public relations for Anheuser-Busch, said the company spends two-thirds of its $344 million advertising budget in sports-related areas, including television commercials.

According to figures reported in a Sports Illustrated article last week, Old Style, Colt 45 and Carling beers put up $6 million to sponsor the Chicago marathon, and Labatt's, the major sponsor of the 1988 Olympic Games, came close to spending $25 million on the Games.

Yet to many doctors and others, alcohol and sports don't mix well. They say it's a paradox that alcohol should be associated with athletic performance. There are an estimated 13 million alcoholics in the United States.

Patricia Taylor, head of the Alcohol Advertising Coalition division of the Center for Science in the Public Interest research institute, works to increase public awareness of the dangers of alcohol. She said her office, located in Washington, DC, has been working with Major League Baseball to develop a stronger opposition to alcohol sales and sponsorships in the form of commercials.

"They have been very responsible about taking positions in alcoholic sales," Taylor said. "They've encouraged cutting off sales, stopping them after seven innings, putting in `family' sections (where beer is not sold) in ballparks, and showing a concern about alcohol-related problems among team players.

"Now we want them to take it one step further and get away from the promotional tie-ins, such as the All-Star Game's association with Anheuser-Busch."

It's doubtful that Taylor's or any organization can separate beer and baseball. After all, the St. Louis Cardinals are owned by the August Busch family, and there is a team called the Milwaukee Brewers.

But baseball isn't the only sport with ties to alcohol. Bob Whitsitt, president of the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics, was quoted in Sports Illustrated as saying, "We could seriously be hurt without beer companies as sponsors. It's a sensitive issue because you need the money, but you don't want to be seen as promoting the idea that people come to our games, get drunk and drive home."

Alcohol-related accidents killed 23,990 people in 1986, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In the past five years in the United States, more than 500 drunken-driving laws have been enacted or strengthened.

Richards of Doctors Ought to Care, noting that 50 percent to 60 percent of driving-related deaths are caused by drunken drivers, said, "It's stupid that in (automobile racing) ... you have alcohol sponsors."
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #3068
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
BJK actually spun this as a freedom of choice/speech thing!
She is talented (in a way...)
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #3069
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

So this isn't directly related to Graf but I thought I'd post it here anyway. Have you seen the quote from Martina Navratilova about Serena and Maria? It's on CNNSI right now. Here's a snippet:

What she (Maria) said about Serena (during Wimbledon), I’m sure she wishes she hadn’t said it, but she’s one of the most honest players out there,” Navratilova said of Sharapova. “She gives you more than anybody, which is such a contrast to Serena, who doesn’t give you anything.

I'm not a Serena fan but I don't know where Martina is coming from when she says that Serena doesn't give you anything. It makes me wonder. Navratilova was never really a fan of Steffi and some people feel that it's because Steffi was a threat to her, both while they were playing and with respect to tennis records. Is she now knocking Serena for the same reason? That Serena will most likely surpass her 18 Grand Slam singles titles and more and more people are now starting to think of her as the Women's GOAT?
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #3070

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
So this isn't directly related to Graf but I thought I'd post it here anyway. Have you seen the quote from Martina Navratilova about Serena and Maria? It's on CNNSI right now. Here's a snippet:

What she (Maria) said about Serena (during Wimbledon), I’m sure she wishes she hadn’t said it, but she’s one of the most honest players out there,” Navratilova said of Sharapova. “She gives you more than anybody, which is such a contrast to Serena, who doesn’t give you anything.

I'm not a Serena fan but I don't know where Martina is coming from when she says that Serena doesn't give you anything. It makes me wonder. Navratilova was never really a fan of Steffi and some people feel that it's because Steffi was a threat to her, both while they were playing and with respect to tennis records. Is she now knocking Serena for the same reason? That Serena will most likely surpass her 18 Grand Slam singles titles and more and more people are now starting to think of her as the Women's GOAT?
Not the first time Navratilova has made that kind of comment. Witness the 1989 U.S. Open versus Steffi: Navratilova: "She [Steffi] doesn't show anything. I don't get any sense of emotion when she's playing. I don't know what she feels. I don't really speak to her that much, rather she doesn't speak to me. I don't have any idea what's going on in her mind or her heart." Mind you, this was one match where Steffi's mind and heart are on full display. Steffi's best verbal rebuttal was in German, ringing out with Biblical cadence: "Wer nicht sieht, daß ich mich freue, ist selber schuld." ("Who does not see that I enjoy myself is himself to blame.") It takes my breath away every time I read it!

My take on the "doesn't give/show you anything" accusations is that Martina merely doesn't like what she is being given/shown. I really don't want to get into bashing or armchair psychoanalyzing, but given that, once upon a time, Navratilova's publicly stated goal was to be the GOAT, any comments she makes about players who could be considered her rivals for the title should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. Yes, Martina was a great player, but she is so, uh, emotionally invested that her "observations" and analyses are often demonstrably incorrect. Unfortunately, most of the tennis media loves that kind of thing.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #3071

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
She is talented (in a way...)
Talented enough to get a seat on the Phillip Morris Board of Directors. The revolving door between the WTA, Phillip Morris/Virginia Slims, and IMG is very interesting.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #3072

The balmiest match of the tournament.

Mandlikova overpowers Bowes
Wednesday, March 1, 1989
James Hill

SAN ANTONIO - Beverly Bowes gave her loyal fans quite a show Tuesday at McFarlin Tennis Center.

Bowes, a three-time All-American at the University of Texas, took sixth-seeded Hana Mandlikova to three sets before losing 6-3, 5-7, 6-0 in the first round of the $200,000 U.S. Women's Hardcourt Championship.

"I just think that I played the first two sets solidly," said Bowes, ranked No. 69 in the world. "I was passing her pretty well. A line call at 30-15 (in the first game of the final set) really upset me. You really never like to blame a line call, though."

Bowes, who lists both Lubbock and San Antonio as home, fought back from a 4-2 deficit in the second set to take a 5-4 lead. Mandlikova held serve and evened the score at 5-5. But Bowes broke and held to even the sets at one apiece.

Mandlikova, a Czechoslovakian who lives in Australia, breezed through the third set to capture the 1-hour, 41-minute match.

Bowes will play doubles today with Terry Phelps against Manuela Maleeva and Eva Pfaff.

West German Steffi Graf had little trouble in her opening-round match Tuesday. Graf, the top-ranked player in the world, overpowered Beth Herr of Dayton, Ohio, 6-0, 6-1 in a match that lasted 51 minutes and was played outdoors with temperatures in the low 50s.

"I think my play was all right," Graf said. "I really couldn't say that it was my best performance of the year because she wasn't that strong."

Graf, who took the title last year by beating Katerina Maleeva, is 13-0 this year, including the Australian Open and Virginia Slims of Washington titles.

Two other seeds did not fare so well. The third-seeded Natalia Zvereva of the Soviet Union lost to Italy's Linda Ferrando 6-4, 6-4. Ferrando, ranked No. 73, took advantage of mental lapses by the 17-year-old Zvereva, ranked No. 8. It was Ferrando's highest-ranking victory.

No. 7 Gretchen Magers of San Antonio lost to Kathy Rinaldi of Amelia Island, Fla., 6-4, 7-6 (7-1). Magers fought back from a love-40 deficit and held to go up 6-5 in the second set. But Rinaldi, ranked No. 85, held service and sent the set into a tiebreaker.

In the victory column was No. 5 Patty Fendick of Sacramento, Calif., who used a strong serve-and-volley game to defeat Wendy White of Fort Worth 6-1, 6-4.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #3073

Graf romps, Mandlikova eliminates Bowes in U.S. Women's Hardcourt Championships
Wednesday, March 1, 1989
Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Steffi Graf, ranked No. 1 in the world, defeated unseeded Beth Herr and sixth-seeded Hana Mandlikova beat former University of Texas star Beverly Bowes on Tuesday to advance to the second round of the U.S. Women's Hardcourt Championships.

Graf, of West Germany, took only 51 minutes to elminate Herr, of Dayton, Ohio, 6-0, 6-1 before a sparse audience that braved chilly, damp afternoon winds at McFarlin Tennis Center.

Mandlikova, of Czechoslovakia, played her first tournament match in six months against Bowes, of San Antonio, and won 6-3, 5-7, 6-0.

Graf, who won the Grand Slam last year, is defending her 1988 hardcourt title. She will play Leigh Anne Eldredge of Altadena, Calif., today.

Two seeded players were eliminated Tuesday. Third-seeded Natalia Zvereva of the Soviet Union was upset by Italy's Linda Ferrando 6-4, 6-4. Kathy Rinaldi of Amelia Island, Fla., defeated seventh-seeded Gretchen Magers of San Antonio 6-4, 7-6 (7-1).

The finals of the $200,000 tournament will be televised nationally Sunday on USA (Cable 17). The winner will collect $40,000.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #3074

Graf easy first-round winner despite wind and cold
Houston Chronicle
Wednesday, MARCH 1, 1989
CHARLES CARDER

SAN ANTONIO - The elements were more favorable for ice fishing along the River Walk. The temperature wasn't extremely low - only 49 - but the wind chill factor on the tennis court Tuesday was 15 degrees lower.

It was so bad that it took Steffi Graf all of 51 minutes to dispose of Beth Herr in the first round of the U.S. Tennis Association's National Hardcourts tournament.

Graf, the defending champion who was a late entry after Pam Shriver limited her action to doubles, and Herr wore warmup suits throughout the afternoon match. But it didn't help Herr's score as Graf prevailed 6-0, 6-1 at the McFarlin Tennis Center.

"It was especially bad when the wind was with you," the 1988 Grand Slam winner said after extending her 1989 win streak to 12.

She has not lost in appearing at the Australian Open, the Virginia Slims of Washington and her first round here.

Shriver expects Graf to capture her third title of the year in the final Saturday. Shriver had forecast that Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, the fourth seed, had the best chance to beat Graf. Then Kohde-Kilsch lost her first-round match Monday.

Another potential finalist was sidelined Tuesday when Linda Ferrando of Italy upset third-seeded Natalia Zvereva of the Soviet Union 6-4, 6-4.

Seventh-seeded Gretchen Rush-Magers, former Trinity University star who now lives in San Diego, Calif., was upset by Kathy Rinaldi of Amelia Island, Fla., 6-4, 7-6 (7-1).

Hana Mandlikova of Australia, who is seeded to meet Graf in the semifinals, came on strong in the third set Tuesday night to whip Beverly Bowes of Lubbock 6-3, 5-7, 6-0.

The tournament, which started in 80-degree weather Monday, was hampered throughout the second day by the rain and wind and some of the doubles matches were delayed.

Graf started strong, winning the first three games decided despite back-to-back double faults in the third game. Herr's fourth-game serve went to deuce four times. In the sixth game, there were four deuces before Graf completed a love set.

There were two deuces on Herr's serve in the second game of the second set and she finally put a winner together in the fourth game. But that marked the end for the Middletown, Ohio, native.

Ferrando, with an 11-2 record last year, was more nervous in the postmatch news conference than she was in facing Zvereva.

"I was playing well, receiving well and not making a lot of mistakes," the 23-year-old Italian said. "I saw in the first game she was moving badly. She was maybe tired and I tried to make her move."

It was her best career win against a ranked player.

Zvereva, the seventh-ranked player in the world last year, admitted she was tired and bothered by the wind after playing last week in California. She will be the defending champion next week in the national championships of the Soviet Union in Moscow.

"I was tired, mentally, and I really didn't want to play," said Zvereva. "The wind bothered me a lot."

Rinaldi was ranked ninth in the world in 1986 and dropped to No. 11 after suffering a knee injury in the French Open in 1987. Later, while recovering from the injury, she suffered a fall and broke her right thumb. She played in only eight tournaments last year and lost in the first round four times.

"I had never played Gretchen before and I didn't put enough pressure on her in the second set," Rinaldi said. "Last week was my first tournament this year and by not pressuring her I let her get back in the match. I'm just not tournament-tough."

Rush-Magers forced the second set into a tie-breaker, but Rinaldi lost only one point in the playoff.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #3075
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post

I felt the same.
Serena is just not a threat for 18 GS titles but for the overall title that Navratilova enjoyed so far as she had doubles and mixed doubles success as well.
If Serena crosses 18, Navratilova will fall behind in that conversation as well....
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote