Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 7 - Page 42 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #616
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 7

It's not because of Rory it's because people worked out how to play her game and in that phase where she was kinda going nowhere she made no effort to change it. If she can add some different elements to her game there is no reason why she can't return to the top. However, she has played the same game since she was as young as 12 according to people who grew up playing against her so it will be hard to change her mentality and style now. Still, Hogstedt did start Li Na's breakthrough and make Sharapova the 2nd best Clay Court player so anything's possible...
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #617
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
It's not because of Rory it's because people worked out how to play her game and in that phase where she was kinda going nowhere she made no effort to change it. If she can add some different elements to her game there is no reason why she can't return to the top. However, she has played the same game since she was as young as 12 according to people who grew up playing against her so it will be hard to change her mentality and style now. Still, Hogstedt did start Li Na's breakthrough and make Sharapova the 2nd best Clay Court player so anything's possible...
I dont agree that people figure out how to player her.
Last spring she made the Dubai semis, losing to Petra, then IW final losing to Sharapova. Thats not far from her good form.
Then she lost to Muguruza & Voegele. After the Voegele loss she lost 4 of her next 5 matches.
So she could beat Bartoli & Kerber & Vesnina, but Muguruza & Voegele figured her out?

I see it differently. She used to start her matches well, almost always won the first set.
The last 2 losses at the AO, she was awful in set 1. She does that a lot the last 2 years. There is a mental focus and consistency problem.
She just beat Safarova last fall. Why isnt she ready for her matches in january?
This draw wasnt anything unusual. There are rarely softer spots at premiers than Goerges, Safarova
Just like US Open: Q, Scheepers, Q. You cant ask for a softer week 1.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #618
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think that her results have been comparitively disappointing because opponents have figured out how to play her either, although I know that's the in thing to say. There was never much to figure out anyway because it's pretty obvious how you should play someone who has great defense and poor offense - a great backhand and a poor forhand. It's hardly rocket science. No, the reason is that Caro herself is now a poorer version of her former self. Whereas at her best she would hardly make three or four UE in a set she now sometimes makes two or three of them in a row. She now misses many routine shots, she never used to do that. Mentally she's a lot more vulnerable as well. In a match that would go 3-3, 4-4. 5-5 and so on you could almost bet your life that she was going to win it in 2009-2011. Now she chokes when things get tight. And the tour has gotten tougher at the top. Serena, Azarenka and Sharapova are all better players than Caro was when she was number one. Even so, the Caro of 2010 would have been a top 4 player today and not borderline top 10.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #619
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Even when Caroline was at her best, she only won slam quarters at AO & USO, and this is her most important tournament until late August.
This is where you want to play well every match, see how far you can go.
The last 3 years Caro's AO results are SF, QF, R of 16. Its a downward trend and its important to stop this trend & at least get to R of 16. And if its a lucky draw like the last major, its so important to get through week 1.
To me, that loss to Giorgi, along with her weak run in Australia, defines her whole year.
Even winning IW, or making that final, is minimized if you're out early at the hardcourt majors

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #620
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

It her first tournament with her new coach we can't expect improved or great results just so fast it will take time I say give them till Wimbledon- Summer Hard court season

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery | S. Crawford

L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | M. Gordon | S. Kenin | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #621
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

This article from Matt Cronin makes me really angry after 2 matches!!!!

Jelena Jankovic - Empress of WTA

Serena Williams - Simply Serena; simply the best!
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #622
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya0 View Post
This article from Matt Cronin makes me really angry after 2 matches!!!!
I dont think Sydney matters at all, unless she doesnt play like a contender in Melbourne.
Its important she gets through the draw to an actual contender. Caroline has not done that at a major for 2 full years, 8 majors ago. And even then, Caro played awful, underachieved for most of that loss with Kim

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #623
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
There was never much to figure out anyway because it's pretty obvious how you should play someone who has great defense and poor offense - a great backhand and a poor forhand. It's hardly rocket science. No, the reason is that Caro herself is now a poorer version of her former self.
I completely agree and I too have been baffled by the 'figure out' argument, when even a child with no knowledge what-so-ever about tennis could 'figure it out'.

It's all about Caroline being less of a player; making 3 UE in a game instead of a set. (as Chrissie also writes).

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1

Last edited by TennisFan66 : Jan 8th, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #624
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

The "figured out" theory is as laughable as the one haters use these days where apparently she's playing the same level as she was back in her peak days in 2009-2011, it's just that everyone else is much better...

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

💨💦☁⚡"Even the darkest night will end and "Sunshine" will rise" ⛅☀🌞🌻
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #625
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
The "figured out" theory is as laughable as the one haters use these days where apparently she's playing the same level as she was back in her peak days in 2009-2011, it's just that everyone else is much better...
Yeah, thats the 2 goofy comments: figured out, and weak era.
Caro is losing at her best major to Giorgi & Begu. That means the tour's better or that those 2 figured Caro out?
How about the reality: Caroline is not nearly as good as she used to be

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #626
country flag James_Hingis

James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light James_Hingis is a glorious beacon of light

I'd been inactive in this forum for 2 months I guess. Well Guys, given with a short off season we couldn't expect Caroline to be a "different" Caro. It is a work in progress. After watching the full match she had with Goerges and short clips against Safarova, I can definitely say her Forehand improved a little. Still, it is far from being a weapon. It falls short at times, and there are moments she hit it hard but lacks angle and precision...So lets us be all upbeat with the changes she is doing now...
James_Hingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #627
country flag goldenlox

I think the last 2 years look like ever getting back to #1 and being a consistent winner in good fields seems unlikely. She doesnt get through draws anymore.
The other aspect is take advantage of a flukey, super-soft draw at a major like Fran & Bartoli did.

Thats why the US Open was so disappointing, she had that kind of draw until the semis and couldnt get through that.

I still think she can improve enough to get through a flukey-soft draw.
I think she only won 4 quarterfinals all year in 2013, so getting any draw is a tough, tough assignment for her now.

People say she played well but Safarova won in 2 sets, then lost her next match in 2 sets.
Part of playing well is to close, otherwise, you're not really playing well, if you're up & down, but mostly losing important points to a player who never wins anything and never makes deep slam runs.

I think each major, especially hardcourt, is a test for her: can she get thru a soft section of the draw. It seems her only hope at a major. Start getting to week 2 again, just in case the draw falls apart

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #628
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

OMG can I not have an opinion. From following her results and watching her lose to people she has previously beaten, I have seen people target her forehand more and not just past like Safarova. And I do not appreciate people ridiculing my opinion which many would think is correct. And I thought I could contribute to this forum It's not even been a week And my opinion is more correct than blaming Rory and their relationship
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #629
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
OMG can I not have an opinion. From following her results and watching her lose to people she has previously beaten, I have seen people target her forehand more and not just past like Safarova. And I do not appreciate people ridiculing my opinion which many would think is correct. And I thought I could contribute to this forum It's not even been a week And my opinion is more correct than blaming Rory and their relationship
Its okay to have an opinion. But we see who she loses to. Its not players who "figure out" things. Its more players like Giorgi & Jovanovski, who we know Caroline can still beat, but doesnt

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #630
country flag goldenlox

Soon the AO draw. This is the only major Caro hasnt lost early in the last 2 years, QF and R of 16.
I think her most important tournament for the next several months