1983 - Page 24 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #346
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Pam Shriver playing in borrowed men's shoes. I don't if I should or (she did sprain an ankle after all).
It's Shriver. One always at Shriver -- that's the crux of the joke.

Although to be fair to Pammy (did I really say that???) I am aware of a few other players from the era, Navratilova included IIRC, who mentioned they would wear men's shoes because of sizing/scarcity issues. Or cases like young, still-growing-and-not-a-star Graf, who was sometimes given shoes that were too big, I guess with the idea that she would "grow into them in a few months" (never mind that the shoes would be wrecked in a few weeks). And speaking from my own experience, girls'/women's athletic shoes from the period really were not made with larger/wider feet in mind, no matter the brand.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 7th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #347
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

THE GUARDIAN – Saturday 28th May 1983
HOBBS KEEPS ON THE BOIL

With seven teenagers, and nine players using over-sized rackets, through to the last 16 of the women’s singles, two of the current trends in the game have gained added emphasis at the French Championships this week.

Less of a general taking point, but heartening news for those at LTA headquarters is the inclusion of two British representatives among the survivors. Not since 1972, when Virginia Wade and Corinne Molesworth reached the quarter-finals, have Britons mounted a double-barreled challenge at this stage.

Hopes today rest with Jo Durie of Bristol and Anne Hobbs of Alderley Edge who, considering they won the German doubles title on Monday, have had a fairly busy and spectacular five days.

Manchester United can take some credit for Miss Hobbs’ impressive 6-2 6-2 victory over the 18 year-old American Amy Holton. Just before she went on court, Sue Mappin, the national team manager, told her that United had won the Cup final replay 4-0. “I thought at first she was just trying to put me in a good mood”, said Miss Hobbs. “Then when she told me the scorers I realised it must be true”.

The treatment worked. Using deep approach shots to Miss Holton’s two-fisted backhand she dominated the forecourt from first to last and never relinquished her grip.

Her three-match sequence here is her best since she played nine times to qualify for and win an indoor tournament in Indianapolis in February and, despite being set back by a virus infections which kept her out of the game for four months last year, she is now maturing into a much more polished player.

Miss Hobbs is one of the many who have switched to a king-sized racket and her serve and volley have improved accordingly. Today she plays another two-handed baseliner, the third seed Andrea Jaeger, while Miss Durie faces the No 12 seed Kathy Rinaldi, who she beat 6-1 6-1 in Dallas in March.

At 16 years of age Miss Rinaldi is the youngest player left in the tournament. Miss Jaeger, Kathy Horvath and Andrea Temesvari are a year older, Helena Sukova and Catherine Tanvier are 18 and Gretchen Rush is 19, so Chris Lloyd, once a child prodigy herself, now finds herself cast at 28 as the mother figure.

It was one of the games favourite mums, Evonne Cawley, who Mrs Lloyd had to beat to secure her fourth round place. Their last great championship meeting was at Wimbledon in 1980 when the Australian played like a dream to win. Yesterday’s encounter, their 39th was strictly on Mrs Lloyd’s terms and she eased through 6-2 6-2.

Only those in the top half of the men’s draw were in action and, as in their previous matches, Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl and Yannick Noah emerged with little difficulty. The surprises came from Eric Fromm, a New Yorker who beat Peru’s Pablo Arraya and Christophe Roger-Vasselin of France, who lost the first two sets but recovered to beat Heinz Gunthardt of Switzerland 3-6 4-6 7-6 6-3 6-1.

Roger-Vasselin, who was born in London has a traumatic time before winning the third set. He had set points at 5-3, more at 5-4, and another in the tie-break – 11 in all – before reaching clear water on his 12th. After that Gunthardt collapsed.

Fromm and Brian Gottfried, who beat the Swede Marcus Tideman 3-6 6-3 6-0 6-0 gave the United States a better representation than earlier seemed possible.

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #348

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

CONNORS YELLS FOUL OVER EXCESSIVE FINES
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, November 23, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Every time reporters tried to ask Jimmy Connors a question Tuesday, his energetic four-year-old son Brett would poke his face in front of the microphone and pretend to jabber away.

Daddy didn't pretend. "I'm losing my love for the game," said Connors, who is irked with tennis officiating to the point that he's threatening to cut back on the number of tournaments he plays.

On Nov. 10, a surprisingly laid-back Connors lost to John McEnroe, 7-5, 6-1, 6-4, at Wembley, England. Just as fans were beginning to enjoy tennis' version of a heavyweight championship match, Connors said, in effect, "No mas."

Late in the first set, Connors was warned for an "audible obscenity," his second warning of the week. He appeared to lose interest in the match and made flippant comments to the fans and hit some loose shots. His fines for the week totaled $1,750.

"To be scrutinized by someone who has no common sense is a little bit difficult for me," Connors said Tuesday while his son sat on his lap and alternately giggled, squirmed, and threatened to snap a rubber band in Dad's face. "I'm not saying all supervisors are bad. I don't have problems with most. I understand he was trying to impress the heads of the Pro Council who were in the stands at the time. But don't take it out on me.

"And why do I get fined $1,500 while somebody else gets fined $500 for the same things? Just because I've done well, don't overcharge me. That's like you buying a steak for six bucks and I go in and have to buy it for 26 bucks."

Connors reportedly has just lined up $5 million in endorsements for five years, including $1.5 million and the use of two condominiums at Sanibel Island, Fla. Surely, he wouldn't drop out of tennis in light of this.

"I would cut down on a lot of tournaments," Connors said, "but I would play Wimbledon and the U.S. Open and a few I enjoy playing only because I enjoy going to the places and have friends there."

Connors, who will play in the Ilie Nastase/Hamptons Invitational in North Miami Beach Dec. 12-18, held a news conference Tuesday to announce that the Jimmy Connors United States Tennis Center would be built next year at the Sanibel Harbour Resort, Spa and Racquet Club on Sanibel Island. He envisions an academy being started there, plus tournaments and exhibitions.

And how would Connors teach discipline to kids at his academy? By the do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do method?

"That's where I would have to hire somebody," he joked. "I was disciplined in some ways as a kid, but in a lot of ways, I wasn't disciplined."

Now, he is being disciplined by umpires trying to get tough with boorish behavior in the sport, and he doesn't like it. Connors is both wrong and right in his criticism of officiating.

He's wrong to say he shouldn't be fined for all obscenities, even if they are uttered to himself. But he's right in arguing that officials are not consistent in enforcing the code of conduct.

What Chris Evert Lloyd needs to regain her confidence against Martina Navratilova is a match on clay. Evert has lost seven consecutive matches to Navratilova (six this year), with three played on fast hard courts and four played indoors, including Sunday's final in Tokyo.

The last time Evert prevailed was on grass in the Australian Open last December. And on clay, Evert is 7-0 against Navratilova, having lost just one set. The last time they met on clay, Evert won, 6-0, 6-0, in the spring of 1982.

The Tokyo match was Evert's last of the year. She's passing up the Australian because of fasciitis, an inflammation of the tissue that connects the muscles at the bottom of the foot. "I've been plagued by fasciitis for several months, and after competing three weeks in a row, it has gotten worse," she said. "I've never been one to walk out on the court injured, and the Australian Open is too big a tournament to take the risk. I'm looking forward to starting 1984 healthy."

Passing shots: The Easter Bowl junior tournament, held the past two years at Laver's International Tennis Resort in Delray Beach, will move to Tucson, Ariz., in 1984 under the sponsorship of AMF-Head. But tournament director Seena Hamilton hopes to alternate the event between South Florida and Arizona and is looking at Doral in Miami and PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens ... Fort Lauderdale's Brian Gottfried and wife Windy are parents for the second time. Windy gave birth to a girl, Kelly Michelle, Nov. 11. They also have a four-year-old son, Kevin ... Ilie Nastase, of all people, has been named a member of the South Florida Professional Tennis Umpires Association. "It was because of the way he handled the college tournament held last month in conjunction with the Invitational," publicist Howard Kane said. "He was umpire for the Division II singles final, and there was no swearing, and no line calls were questioned." Meanwhile, Mel Purcell and Adriano Panatta have been added to complete the 24-player field for the Invitational.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #349

WAC BASKETBALL GETS TV PACT
The Miami Herald
Saturday, November 26, 1983
ASSOCIATED PRESS

[...]

LENDL TOP SEED AT AUSTRALIA

MELBOURNE, Australia -- (AP) -- Czech star Ivan Lendl has been made the top seed for the Australian Open men's tennis tournament, which starts Monday.

The official draw had almost been completed when it was discovered a disc bearing one player's number had dropped at the feet of referee Peter Bellinger.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #350

A 30 minute injury timeout is a bit excessive.

KRIEK ENDS BRITON'S UPSET STREAK
The Miami Herald
Monday, November 28, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

South African-born Johan Kriek needed five sets to end the upset march of unseeded Colin Dowdeswell in Sunday's final of the South African Open tennis tournament.

The sixth-seeded Kriek, now residing in the United States, won the title, 6-4, 4-6, 1-6, 7-5, 6-3, in a match that lasted three hours.

Dowdeswell's weak first service was rarely a weapon, though he had Kriek on the run with skillful volleying and delicate net play.

Clearly angry with himself after losing the second set, Kriek seemed to lose his concentration, and Dowdeswell took just 19 minutes to dump him in the third.

But Dowdeswell, a 28-year-old Briton who came out of a three-year retirement recently, seemed to run out of steam after winning the set, 6-1.

The fourth set went with service for 11 games, but Dowdeswell dropped his final service game to love to lose the set. In the final set, Dowdeswell moved to a 3-1 advantage, breaking Kriek's serve in the second game, but Kriek held serve in the fifth game and won the last three games easily.

Dowdeswell had beaten seventh-seeded Vitas Gerulaitis, 6-2, 6-0, in Saturday's semifinals and earlier had upset No. 2 seed Kevin Curren.

In the doubles final, unseeded Steve Meister and Brian Teacher won the title beat Andres Gomez and Sherwood Stewart, 6-7, 7-6, 6-3.

Third-seeded Jo Durie, despite a painful back injury, defeated Kathy Jordan, 6-3, 7-5, to win the $150,000 New South Wales Women's Open on grass courts in Sydney, Australia.

Durie led, 5-1, in the second set, but Jordan, aided by some outstanding net play, won the next four games to tie it. Durie held her serve in the 11th game, then broke Jordan to win the match. Durie underwent 30 minutes of treatment on a pulled muscle.

Top-seeded Heinz Gunthardt overpowered Pablo Arraya, 6-0, 6-2, in the final of the $100,000 Toulouse (France) Grand Prix tournament. Gunthardt, rated 33rd in the world, used a fine serve and relentless pressure in beating Arraya, who committed 30 unforced errors ... Continuous rain over the past few days has severely disrupted the first round of Australian Open, which was due to start in Melbourne today. Heavy weekend rains left courts drenched and unplayable. Tournament director Colin Stubs said qualifying, which was due to be completed Sunday, now will have to be finished today and that the opening matches would have to be rescheduled... Fourth-seeded Kirsten Dreyer of Weston, Conn., upset No. 2 Trisha Laux of Roswell, Ga., 7-5, 6-4, to reach the final of the USTA Girls' 16 National Indoor Championships in New York. Dreyer will meet Nicole Arendt of Princeton, N.J., a 6-2, 6-4 winner over Katrina Adams of Chicago.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #351

Maybe a retractable roof would be a good idea?

PELE PONDERS NASL ENCORE
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, November 29, 1983

[...]

Tennis

The Australian Open was thrown into chaos Monday when organizers were forced to postpone all first-round matches because of the heaviest rains since 1934 at the Kooyong Stadium complex in Melbourne.

All 12 championship courts were under water Monday, and Weather Bureau officials forecast similar conditions for today.

More tennis

Francisco Montana of Miami defeated Jean Francois Mathieu of Montreal, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, in the final of the boys' 14 national indoor championships at Chicago ... Australia's Ken Rosewall defeated South Africa's Andrew Pattison, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, in the final of a Grand Champion over-35 tournament at Rancho Mirage, Calif.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #352

AUSSIE OPEN: IT'S A NET LOSS
Philadelphia Daily News
Wednesday, November 30, 1983
United Press International

Heavy rain and thunderstorms washed out the second day of the Australian Open tennis championships today at Kooyong.

All 12 courts at the Kooyong Stadium were under water. Tournament organizers, already faced with a pileup of matches from Monday's rain-plagued first round, had scheduled 16 men's singles matches and eight doubles matches.

Lele Forood, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., opened play in the 61st Open yesterday with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over 18-year-old Australian Liz Minter.

There was only one area available for play - the soggy center court - in first-round competition as the heavy rains washed out 11 other playing surfaces.

Tournament director Colin Stubs scheduled only five women's singles matches for opening day on a slate that eventually calls for 96 men's and 64 women's events.

Brian Tobin, president of the Tennis Association of Australia, said the championship would extend beyond its scheduled Dec. 11 finish if necessary.

Sultry weather fanned by a swirling southwesterly wind was expected to dry court surfaces. Despite forecasts of thunderstorms, officials scheduled 16 men's singles and a doubles match today.

Minter failed to handle Forood's aggressive tactics and lost a match that had six service breaks in the first seven games.

Zina Garrison, of Houston, edged South Africa's Yvonne Veermaak 7-6 (8-6), 6-3 and British veteran Virginia Wade entertained the slim crowd of 3,000 with a 7-6 (7-3), 7-5 decision over 21-year-old Australian Sue Leo, 7-6 (7-3), 7-5.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #353

WADE, FOROOD WIN IN AUSTRALIA OPEN
The Miami Herald
Wednesday, November 30, 1983
ASSOCIATED PRESS

British veteran Virginia Wade made a welcome return to Kooyong's center court after a five-year absence Tuesday and outlasted 21-year-old Australian Sue Leo 7-6, 7-5 in the first round of the Australian Open Tennis Championship.

Men's competition will start today.

The 38-year-old former Wimbledon champion, who won the title here 11 years ago, overcame a 4-2 deficit in the first set and managed to tie the score before building a commanding lead in the tie-breaker.

In the second set, Leo made several errors and double faults, enabling Wade to get back into the game.

Wade said later that she had been practicing for the past three days on artificial grass surfaces and had taken some time to adjust to the Kooyong center court.

"It was a very tough match," she said. "But it was tough because she played well and because it inevitably takes a little time to get used to playing on that center court again.

"The sighting is a little different and the wind swirls a bit but she played well, she served well, and the court is playing very, very fast," Wade said.

There were no upsets in Tuesday's opening round. The two seeded played, sixth-ranked American Zina Garrison and No. 13 Claudia Kohde-Kilsch of West Germany, won in straight sets.

Garrison defeated South African Yvonne Vermaak 7-6, 6-3, and Claudia Kohde-Kilsch of West Germany defeated 17-year-old Aussie Kim Staunton, 6-3, 6-1.

In other first-round matches, Lele Forood of Fort Lauderdale eliminated Australian Elizabeth Minter 6-3, 7-5, and Catherine Tanvier of France beat Marie-Christine Calleja 6-1, 6-2.

Minter, the current U.S. junior champion, failed to handle Forood's aggressive tactics in a match that had six service breaks in the first seven games.

The tournament's scheduled start on Monday was delayed for one day after heavy rains left courts unusable and officials chose to replace Tuesday's scheduled men's games with the women's matches.

Brian Tobin, president of the Tennis Association of Australia, said the championships would extend beyond its scheduled Dec. 11 finish if necessary to complete this Grand Prix tournament.

Elsewhere: Top-seeded Susan Sloane of Lexington, Ky., defeated Miami's Mary Jo Fernandez, 3-6, 7-5, 9-7, to win the girls' 14 national indoor title in Southfield, Mich.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #354

LENDL AND MCENROE ADVANCE IN AUSTRALIAN OPEN
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Sunday, December 4, 1983
Compiled by The Inquirer Staff

MELBOURNE, Australia - Ivan Lendl, John McEnroe and Mats Wilander, the top three men's seeds, advanced yesterday in the $400,000 Australian Open, but sixth-seeded Vitas Gerulaitis was ousted by a little-known Hungarian player.

Gerulaitis lost his second-round match, 6-1, 6-3, 6-3, to Zoltan Kuharszky, a Hungarian who defected to Switzerland three years ago.

"I wasn't feeling all that good when I got up today, and he played well," Gerulaitis said. "I'm just a little under the weather -- a little bug or something. It's been raining and cold every day, and I've just been on a long trip, so it had to catch up to me."

Lendl had few problems downing Jonathan Smith of Britain, 6-2, 6-2, 6-4; McEnroe topped fellow American Tony Giammalva, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3, 6-3, and Wilander battled his way to the third round with a win over American Ben Testerman, 6-4, 4-6, 6-7, 6-3, 6-2.

In a five-set match resumed today, Roscoe Tanner beat Californian Mike Bauer. The match was halted at the end of yesterday's play at two sets all and 12-12 in the fifth set. Tanner, the 1977 Australian title-holder, made short work of Bauer, wrapping up the match 7-6, 3-6, 4-6, 6-3, 14-12.

Lendl said he lost interest in his match and didn't feel like finishing. He said the timing of the tournament, Australia's remoteness and the pressure of other commitments work against the players.

"The Australian Open comes at the wrong time of year for many players who are already exhausted after a long season," he said. "It's too far to come. Flying absorbs too much time and energy."

McEnroe wasn't happy either.

"How much worse can I play?" he shouted at one point. The New Yorker continually complained about his play and criticized the umpire and the linesmen on close calls.

Gerulaitis wasn't the only upset victim. Marcel Freeman defeated 12th-seeded Hank Pfister, 6-1, 6-7, 7-6, 6-1, and Ken Flach, ranked 429th in the world, defeated former Australian Open runnerup John Sadri, 6-3, 7-5, 6-4.

Australian Davis Cup rookie John Fitzgerald trounced Wimbledon finalist Chris Lewis 6-3, 7-6, 6-1.

Advancing to the third round of the women's singles were top-seeded Martina Navratilova, second-seeded Sylvia Hanika, fourth-seeded Wendy Turnbull and eighth-seeded Jo Durie.

Navratilova, the Wimbledon and U.S. Open queen, was in devastating form as she crushed Australia's Elizabeth Sayers, 6-1, 6-0. Hanika, from West Germany, easily eliminated Corrine Vanier of France, 6-2, 6-1.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #355

Shriver, McEnroe reach Aussie quarterfinals
The San Diego Union
Monday, December 5, 1983
From News Services

Pam Shriver advanced to the quarterfinals of the $400,000 Australian Open tennis championships today by defeating Barbara Potter in three tough sets.

In men's fourth-round matches today, John McEnroe, the No. 2 seed, was banished to an outside court for the first time but still easily defeated Tim Gullickson 6-3, 6-2, 6-2, and Australian Wally Masur, ranked 87th in the world, upset eighth-seeded Anders Jarryd of Sweden, 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.

On the rock-hard Kooyong center court, Shriver registered a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 decision for her first victory over Potter. Potter, seeded No. 14 in the women's 64-player draw, had beaten Shriver at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

Both players were critical of the center court, which had been heavily rolled to overcome the effects of thunderstorms last week.

"I thought they had moved Ayers Rock from Central Australia to Kooyong, it's so hard out there," Shriver said.

In other women's matches today, Jo Durie of Britain, ranked 13th in the world, used her powerful serve to defeat Alycia Moulton 6-1, 7-6; Zina Garrison eliminated Eva Pfaff of West Germany 7-6, 6-4; and second-seeded Sylvia Hanika of West Germany continued her formidable progress with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia.

Durie meets No. 1 seed Martina Navratilova in the quarterfinals.

McEnroe said yesterday he wanted to play center court because "I think a lot of people want to see me play and you just can't fit many people on those outside courts."

Defending champion Johan Kriek has yet to see the center court in his four matches.

Yesterday, No. 1 seed Ivan Lendl was tested by Peter Fleming before rallying for a 6-7, 7-6, 6-3, 6-4 third-round victory.

McEnroe had defeated India's Ramesh Krishnan 6-4, 7-5, 6-1 yesterday to reach the fourth round, and Swede Mats Wilander subdued a weary Roscoe Tanner 6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 6-1 to move into the last 16 against Australian Paul McNamee.

Tanner was coming off his match against Mike Bauer, which began Saturday and resumed yesterday at 12-12 in the fifth set. Tanner won 14-12.

Former Australian title-holder Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia withdrew from her match against Sharon Walsh yesterday because of a strained groin. The fifth seed called for medical treatment after falling for the third time in her match against Walsh, who was leading 6-2, 1-0.

Seventh-seeded Billie Jean King lost to Catherine Tanvier of France 7-6, 4-6, 6-4.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #356

LENDL WINS BUT CALLS FOR CHECKUP
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, December 6, 1983

Top-seeded Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia blasted his way past Australia's Pat Cash Monday to move into the quarterfinals of the $1-million Australian Open and then called for a physician but was cleared of any serious medical problem.

Lendl routed Cash, 7-6, 6-3, 6-3, with a magnificent center-court display at Melbourne. A doctor later visited the locker room to examine Lendl.

A friend of Lendl's said that the player, who left the court twice during the one-hour 54-minute match, had been passing blood in his urine and that he asked for the examination as a precautionary measure.

The examing doctor told Lendl that he was suffering from a severe chill in the kidneys and that he had a slight muscular problem.

Lendl is scheduled to meet fellow countryman Tomas Smid in the quarterfinals. Smid earlier struggled past Australian John Fitzgerald, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2.

In other matches, No. 2 John McEnroe of the United States had few problems with compatriot Tim Gullikson, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2, and Mats Wilander of Sweden held off a late challenge from Australian Paul McNamee, 6-4, 6-2, 7-6.

The only surprise of the day was Australian Wally Masur's 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 upset of No. 8 seed Anders Jarryd of Sweden. Masur, unseeded and ranked 87th in the world, used his greater experience on grass courts to overcome his opponent.

In women's play, Martina Navratilova wasted little effort in blitzing South African Rosalyn Fairbank, 6-2, 6-2 in the third round. The effervescent Fairbank could not handle Navratilova's all-court game and bowed out in a brief 48 minutes. Navratilova is now scheduled to meet England's Jo Durie in the quarterfinals. America's Pam Shriver also advanced to the quarterfinals by defeating Barbara Potter, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #357

Whether she was "right" or "wrong," if Navratilova did that today, she would have been automatically defaulted.

NAVRATILOVA STALKS OUT
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Wednesday, December 7, 1983
Compiled by The Inquirer Staff

MELBOURNE, Australia - Top-seeded Martina Navratilova, who had pleaded with the referee to halt play in heavy rain, stormed off the court yesterday after losing the first set of her quarterfinal match against Britain's Jo Durie at the $400,000 Australian Open Tennis Championships.

After the angry Navratilova left the court, referee Paul Bellenger ordered play to be stopped. The match was scheduled to continue today.

Navratilova, the Wimbledon and U.S. champion who has only lost one match in 1983, trailed 4-5 in the set when she appealed to Bellenger to stop play
because of bad light and rain. Bellenger refused her request, and Durie won the next game, marking the first set Navratilova has lost since Aug. 21 and prompting her heated exit.

In a men's quarterfinal match, third-seeded Mats Wilander of Sweden ousted two-time defending champion Johan Kriek, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #358

MARTINA ONE SET FROM ELIMINATION
The Miami Herald
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Great Britain's Jo Durie was just one set from eliminating Martina Navratilova Tuesday when rain postponed their quarterfinal match in the Australian Open.

Durie, the No. 8 seed, won the first set, 6-4 -- the first time Navratilova has lost a set since August and only the ninth this year -- by breaking Navratilova's service three times.

The match was scheduled to resume today.

Durie has been in excellent form lately and her ranking has jumped from 13th in the world to eighth. If she wins, Durie will earn an extra $9,000 for reaching the semifinals and get a shot at the $75,000 winner's purse.

Early today, third-seeded Mats Wilander reached the semifinals with a 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 victory over Johan Kriek, and Tim Mayotte completed his quarterfinal victory over Joachim Nystrom, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

Ninth-seeded Kathy Jordan reached the semifinals with a 7-6, 7-5 victory over second-seeded Sylvia Hanika. In the other women's quarterfinal, Pam Shriver demolished Carling Bassett, 6-0, 6-1.

Jordan, who rallied from a 4-0 deficit in the second set, said she changed her tactics to charge the net when she was down and was able to pull out the match.

"I had game points in many of the games, yet I was down 4-0 and usually you think against a player like Sylvia they won't let you back into the game," she said.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #359

And McEnroe would also have been defaulted -- although he had probably already done something in a previous match that would have gotten him thrown out. Yet another example of "incomparable eras." I'm not saying the star players nowadays don't get away with behavior that would not be tolerated from the rank-and-file, but it's not as blatant or prevalent.

NAVRATILOVA ROLLS INTO SEMIFINALS
Philadelphia Daily News
Author: United Press International

Top-seeded Martina Navratilova rallied from a one-set deficit and reached the semifinals of the $1 million Australian Open, yesterday defeating Jo Durie of Great Britain, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, in 63 minutes.

Navratilova was down 4-6 when rain suspended play in their center court meeting Monday night. Navratilova had stalked off the court last night after losing the first set. Referee Peter Bellenger earlier had refused her request to suspend the match because of rain and failing light.

Playing before a crowd of 4,800, Durie dropped her service in the ninth game when she tightened her shots and "elbowed" on crucial points.

Navratilova put extra pressure on Durie, 23, who was scrambling around the court desperately trying to get to her opponent's penetrating volleys.

Navratilova will face doubles partner and friend Pam Shriver in the semifinals tomorrow. Shriver, the third seed, beat Canadian Carling Bassett 6-0, 6-1 yesterday.

"They don't come any tougher than Jo," said Navratilova. "Not any tougher in the Grand Slam events. I just turned it around today. I served atrociously yesterday. After play was suspended I went out in the rain and practiced on my service."

In other matches, Mats Wilander of Sweden advanced to the men's semifinals, beating defending champion Johan Kriek, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6, in a quarterfinal match,

In another quarterfinal match, Czechoslovakian Ivan Lendl dropped countryman Tomas Smid, 7-6, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2.

Wilander is scheduled to meet the winner of the John McEnroe-Wally Mansur quarterfinal match - scheduled for later today - in Saturday's semifinals.

"The courts were very slippery and both Kriek and I had a lot of trouble with the wind," Wilander said.

Kriek, the No. 5 seed, made the fatal error of trying to play Wilander from the baseline.

The second quarterfinal on center court had just started when rain again interrupted play.

McEnroe didn't even bother to appeal to referee Peter Bellenger and walked off the court after the sixth game of his match against Masur, a young Australian, when heavy rain swamped the stadium.

In a match postponed from yesterday, Tim Mayotte advanced to the quarterfinals by finishing off Sweden's Joachim Nystrom 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #360

Wilander topples McEnroe
The San Diego Union
Friday, December 9, 1983
From News Services

Swedish star Mats Wilander battled his way past second-seeded John McEnroe 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-3 today to advance to the men's singles final of the $400,000 Australian Open Tennis Championships in Melbourne.

Wilander, a clay-court specialist who won the French Open in 1982 but who has improved tremendously on grass, will meet the winner of the second semifinal between top-seeded Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia and American Tim Mayotte.

After McEnroe captured the opening set, Wilander, who has now beaten McEnroe three times this year, forced his left-handed opponent into error after error.

McEnroe, who captured Wimbledon earlier this year for the second time, lost his touch at the net, questioned several calls and shouted at one stage, "What the hell am I doing here?"

In tomorrow's women's final, Martina Navratilova faces Kathy Jordan following her 6-4, 6-3 victory yesterday over Pam Shriver. Jordan defeated Zina Garrison 7-6, 6-1 in the other semifinal match.

Mayotte, despite his relatively low ranking, has given Lendl some tough matches, one of them at the Queen's Club in England this year, when the Czech won 7-6, 7-6.

o o o

Organizers of an international tennis tournament told a hearing in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, that they had no choice but to pay Guillermo Vilas $60,000 in appearance money, but the Argentine star continued to deny he was ever paid.

Vilas, ranked among the world's top five players, agreed to take part in the March 1983 Rotterdam Grand Prix event after top seeds Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors withdrew at the last moment.

Vilas wanted $75,000 to show up, but settled for $60,000, according to Kees Hoekwater, managing director of Ahoy Stadium, the site of the tournament.

Vilas, through his counsel Martin London, told the hearing he was never paid the money and that the passport of his manager, Ion Tiriac, could prove Tiriac was not in Rotterdam on the day of the alleged payment.

The hearing by the Men's International Professional Tennis Council is being conducted into the accusation that Vilas violated a council code prohibiting the solicitation and acceptance of appearance money.

On June 8, the organizers were fined $10,000 for paying appearance money to Vilas. Subsequently, Vilas was fined $20,000 and suspended from the Grand Prix circuit for one year.

Happer said this was the first time in professional tennis that a player had been fined and suspended for accepting an appearance fee. It is the suspension that Vilas is appealing.

o o o

Top professional tennis players are considering a boycott of three Grand Slam tournaments unless prize money is raised, said Martina Navratilova, the world's top-ranked women's player.

Navratilova, president of the Women's Tennis Association for 1982-83, said that prize money at Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the French Open was only a small percentage of gate receipts.

"The prize money at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open is pathetic," she said yesterday in Melbourne, Australia. "Compared to what they make on the circuit, the players are just pulling in nothing, next to nothing."

The Wimbledon purse this year was $1 million, with $112,500 to the men's singles champion and $101,400 to the women's winner. The U.S. Open offered $2 million in prize money, with $120,000 each for the men's and women's singles champions. The French Open had a first prize of $90,000 for men and $40,000 for women.