Aussie Open preparations in Brisbane Dec 29 - Page 28 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 4th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #406
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aussie Open preparations in Brisbane Dec 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther24 View Post
Did anyone else sensed right away she was going to return the double fault right after Serena did it twice in a row during the tie-break?

And yes, I also agree with the fact that the shoulder is the reason her serve will never the same.

However, that hasn't stop her from having good service performances after the surgery. A good serving day could've possibly won her that SF me thinks.

Last thing: What the fuck I was thinking in making that thread for the Brisbane final. Maria got mentioned and it's turning into another mess. *Unsubscribing*
Yeah, it was almost as though Maria was saying: 'No way Serena, you won't out-double fault me!'

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 4th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #407
country flag Asanty

Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of Asanty has much to be proud of

So after this final I am pretty much satisfied with Maria's loss.
She managed to take Rena to TB. Her match was longer, she fought harder.
Asanty is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #408
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanty View Post
So after this final I am pretty much satisfied with Maria's loss.
She managed to take Rena to TB. Her match was longer, she fought harder.
My observation is, that Serena has started her downward age spiral at 32. I'm happy, that she at least had a glorious 2013 to keep as her souvenir.

Pretty soon, Maria will need to worry more about the up and comers; such as Kvitova, Bouchard, Keys, Vekic and Konjuh.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #409
country flag Tennisvampire

Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of Tennisvampire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther24 View Post
Did anyone else sensed right away she was going to return the double fault right after Serena did it twice in a row during the tie-break?

And yes, I also agree with the fact that the shoulder is the reason her serve will never the same.

However, that hasn't stop her from having good service performances after the surgery. A good serving day could've possibly won her that SF me thinks.

Last thing: What the fuck I was thinking in making that thread for the Brisbane final. Maria got mentioned and it's turning into another mess. *Unsubscribing*
As soon as she missed the first serve, I felt it looming over our heads, and ofc, Maria did not fail to deliver

Jelena Jankovic-forever

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Bouchard and Dimitrov-something will become of you
Tennisvampire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #410
country flag jacobruiz
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharakim View Post
I'm pretty sure that the serve is a problem for her for the rest of her career, not just against Serena, it's against anyone. Look at her runs through tournaments, one match the serve is awesome, the next match it's very bad. I agree that the inconsistency is related to Maria's mental blocks, but she has that block because of her shoulder woes. It's not that she serves scared, it's that she is serving with a surgically repaired shoulder. It needs to be constantly worked on and treated before and after matches, it can be effected by bad conditions and anxiety, in short it can help make the serve erratic.

Once that injury started to occur in early 2007 and really went bad mid 2008, her shoulder was never the same again. We will never ever see at first serve as consistent or as deadly as it was early in her career and at AO 2008. The injury is a big reason she has problems with her serve, it made her change her serving motion (something she was using since her childhood), do you realize how hard that is on a player mentally? To never 100% trust your serve again.

Whats more she has had her rotater cuff ripped up, and that pretty much gives he premenant nerve damage in the shoulder muscle. As you saw last season, it will flare up every few months from now on. all in all, Maria has done a great job turning her "bum" right shoulder into a servicable weapon again. I can't say that it will ever be as great as it once was, but it's good enough to not be a big liability in MOST matches. Still, I don't think Maria is ever scared of anything from Serena. She knows on her best day, she will need Williams to play below her best level to win, but that doesn't make her scared. If she was scared, she wouldn't even be competing. She'd have retired long ago.

So true. Maria's shoulder issues may be called "excuses" in GM by the ignorant but they are something Maria will have to deal with for the rest of her career.

Disagree about the "scared" part, though. I think Maria is especially courageous because she competes scared or not. I was extremely happy to see her play without fear in this latest match, however.

AT LONG LAST!!!! The DEMOCRATS BACK IN POWER!!!
OH, SAY DOES THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER YET WAVE........ YES!!! YES!!!! YEESSSS!!!!! Don't waver, Mr. President - the people voted for you AND your agenda!!
Missouri State Fair - yet another reason to ban rodeos
jacobruiz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #411
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
Lol I know these are 'highlights' but literally look at the majority of points, Serena is the one defending most of the time and Maria is finally trusting in her game. Surely that's a good sign from Sven

Also look at the point starting 09:27 her speedy footwork leading into the net with that ccbh is definitely a sign of improvement
These highlights just show how much of a control Maria had over this match especially in that 2nd set. Fantastic tennis from her really. And these are the sort of matches when you just feel that she just couldn't find her range in decisive points and that is okay with professional athletes , the match was played so well, she finally was going for her shots time after time especially with that backhand CC.

Yeah sure her serve let her down but Maria was fearless out there, she was trusting in herself, and her volleys were splendid, especially the backhand volley. I'm gonna watch the highlights again because it is for the first time in a while that Maria actually goes for it against Serena, and not even the Miami final showed us that even though she took a set there.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #412
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Somebody should start a thread for 2014 AO! Time to look ahead.
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #413
country flag AniaSharapova

AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold

Maria put a great fight in the second set and it was pleasure to watch her competing with Serena after being out for such a long time. I'm sure 2014 will be a year when Maria finally beat her.
AniaSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #414
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
Got to admire Azarenka. Unlike Maria she doesn't serve scared against Serena. The quality of her serve doesn't drop. Love her or hate her, you can tell she approaches Serena like she's just another player, which Maria seems unable to do. Before last year the H2H was also pretty much as horrific too.
What is the head to head record between Azarenka and Serena?
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #415
country flag 18majors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
What is the head to head record between Azarenka and Serena?
Serena - Azarenka: 14 - 3
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #416
country flag BadgerM

BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold BadgerM is a splendid one to behold

Just saw bits of the HL's. Maria shook the umpire's hand first. Doesn't Serena have some superstition/habit of wanting to shake first?
BadgerM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #417
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

so.....azarenka clobbered her the third time they played....2009...Miami, hard court, 63, 61...lost ten in a row, then w0n 2 out of 5, beat her twice on hard courts, Doha, and Cincinnati, 3 sets, a tiebreaker in both......

I looked it all up, after 18majors answered me...seems to me, that Maria has just as good a concept and temperament about playing her as Azarenka. her two clay court matches were 61, 63 losses.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #418
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
Got to admire Azarenka. Unlike Maria she doesn't serve scared against Serena. The quality of her serve doesn't drop. Love her or hate her, you can tell she approaches Serena like she's just another player, which Maria seems unable to do. Before last year the H2H was also pretty much as horrific too.
No.

Les reines de Paris.
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #419
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

If Maria had her original shoulder you'll see how different she'd serve against Serena...
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #420
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
No.
Precisely. Admire Azarenka for sucking up to Serena off-court, and having a marginally better record than Maria on-court? Maria's two wins against Serena are still miles bigger than Azarenka's three wins - I'd rather have Maria's H2H than Azarenka's, given that.