Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 61 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #901
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

Really interesting to read your posts about Martina, even about little details which are appealing to true tennis fans. I have to say I really SELDOM go to GM, so I can't say by myself about the haters you mention, but I believe what you say about they young generation being terribly ignorant and very disrespectful about any player before the current crew. I do respect Serena as a great champion, but I don't think she's a greater tennis player than Martina or Chris even if she evens or surpasses the total GS count, as Serena has never been as a consistent dominant player throughout the year as MN and CE, or Steffi or Monica were, which is an important fact about a real Nº1, you can see that comparing how her total number to titles is too low for such a long career at the top and regarding her Slams. Plus, most of her GS came in probably the lowest field in decades in women's tennis, and in these last couple of years, her opposition is clearly below par compared to the other players rivals. Sharapova might have won the French, but come on, she would have had nothing to do even against ASV or Conchita! And there is a big reason why Martina's or Chris's GS titles aren't over 20: themselves. How many more titles would either of them have won but for the other? Chris would have taken a couple more Wimbledons RG, and conversely Martina would have won some more Frenchs for instance. Serena is big, but her time being in the global and Internet eras make her accomplishment more visible, even though they are not bigger. And I agree that Steffi and her legendary career is not recognized enough, everything is trying to promote the current players to compensate for their lower quality game. It's like tennis before the power era was not tennis.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #902
country flag Jakebfletch

Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice Jakebfletch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I remember the Gunze event in Tokyo as being an exhibition event with only 4 women-draws.
Yes, I thought that this event was an exhibition event too but the WTA includes the event as part of the career titles of Chris Evert 74-6, Billie Jean King 77 and Tracy Austin 78. From there, Martina's wins in 79 and 80 plus the likes of Andrea Jaeger's in 1981, Tracy Austin's in 1982 and Pam Shriver's in 1983 are all excluded. I wonder why?
Jakebfletch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #903
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakebfletch View Post
Yes, I thought that this event was an exhibition event too but the WTA includes the event as part of the career titles of Chris Evert 74-6, Billie Jean King 77 and Tracy Austin 78. From there, Martina's wins in 79 and 80 plus the likes of Andrea Jaeger's in 1981, Tracy Austin's in 1982 and Pam Shriver's in 1983 are all excluded. I wonder why?
There is a lot of confusion, even by official record keepers, between tournaments sanctioned by the WTA, tournaments sanctioned by other tennis organizations, and exhibitions, especially from the earlier days of the tour. I think the official Navratilova vs. Evert head-to-head even includes some non-WTA-sanctioned results. It could be that Gunze is something like Mahwah: it started out as a "real" (but possibly still not WTA-sanctioned) tournament but lapsed into exhibition status somewhere along the line. Have I ever mentioned the history of tennis is very complicated?
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #904
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Posted by Mrs Anthropic There is a lot of confusion, even by official record keepers, between tournaments sanctioned by the WTA, tournaments sanctioned by other tennis organizations, and exhibitions, especially from the earlier days of the tour. I think the official Navratilova vs. Evert head-to-head even includes some non-WTA-sanctioned results. It could be that Gunze is something like Mahwah: it started out as a "real" (but possibly still not WTA-sanctioned) tournament but lapsed into exhibition status somewhere along the line. Have I ever mentioned the history of tennis is very complicated?
I agree with all of this.

A good example of a Martina event that should be included IMO is the Obras event in 1979 in Argentina. I'm pretty sure is was officially sanctioned by the WTA but doesn't show in their records.

Here is some more on the Gunze event:

The Gunze event always had 8 women (and 8 man) draws. In the early years it was just a tournament not connected to any tour.

With that in mind a "sanction" wasn't really needed. By the late 1970s the WTA got its act together and started to demand sanctions from "exhibition" (non-tour) events so they would not conflict. The first time I saw the words "sanctioned exhibition" attached to an event was the Emeron Cup (Tokyo, late in 1978).

At some point the Gunze event conflicted with the Colgate/Toyota tour. And from 1983 a one world united tour stopped sanctioning exhibitions altogether more or less.

The Gunze went on though. It was still around when I lived in Japan in 1988-89. By that time it was an exhibition for certain. It was sort of unique in that some matches were played in outlying cities (like Kobe) and then the finals in Tokyo.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #905
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I agree with all of this.

A good example of a Martina event that should be included IMO is the Obras event in 1979 in Argentina. I'm pretty sure is was officially sanctioned by the WTA but doesn't show in their records.
There are her Czechoslovakian national level titles, too. While tournaments like that weren't open in the fullest sense of the word (although some national titles allow/allowed non-citizens to play in them), they are/were very much "real" tournaments. I'm not sure when what we now call challenger, satellite, or futures tournaments came into being, but she could have some titles in those as well.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #906
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Happy birthday to Martina Navratilova,happiness and good health.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #907
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Happy birthday Martina
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #908
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute

Belated Happy Birthday, Martina, an inspirational human being and tennis champion.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #909
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Today tuesday 10th of december on day of human rights pressconference by Martina and Jason Collins at the United Nations in NY about sport and homophobia later a conference where they participated as well.

http://webtv.un.org/watch/martina-na...2919746360001/
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 04:19 PM   #910
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 26th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #911
country flag tennisprince

tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of tennisprince has much to be proud of

Martina is the reason why I followed tennis, what a career and what a person off court as well. I respect her so much.
tennisprince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 02:12 AM   #912
country flag Wimbledon9

Martina about coaching:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...120-314uq.html
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 05:53 AM   #913
country flag puffypoofy

puffypoofy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
Really interesting to read your posts about Martina, even about little details which are appealing to true tennis fans. I have to say I really SELDOM go to GM, so I can't say by myself about the haters you mention, but I believe what you say about they young generation being terribly ignorant and very disrespectful about any player before the current crew. I do respect Serena as a great champion, but I don't think she's a greater tennis player than Martina or Chris even if she evens or surpasses the total GS count, as Serena has never been as a consistent dominant player throughout the year as MN and CE, or Steffi or Monica were, which is an important fact about a real Nº1, you can see that comparing how her total number to titles is too low for such a long career at the top and regarding her Slams. Plus, most of her GS came in probably the lowest field in decades in women's tennis, and in these last couple of years, her opposition is clearly below par compared to the other players rivals. Sharapova might have won the French, but come on, she would have had nothing to do even against ASV or Conchita! And there is a big reason why Martina's or Chris's GS titles aren't over 20: themselves. How many more titles would either of them have won but for the other? Chris would have taken a couple more Wimbledons RG, and conversely Martina would have won some more Frenchs for instance. Serena is big, but her time being in the global and Internet eras make her accomplishment more visible, even though they are not bigger. And I agree that Steffi and her legendary career is not recognized enough, everything is trying to promote the current players to compensate for their lower quality game. It's like tennis before the power era was not tennis.
While I respect Martina and Chris greatly, without each other both would literally have had NO competition at all, especialy Martina in 82-86. So I dont like that whole analogy. The depth Serena has faced is way greater than both even if she didnt face a fellow GOAT. Imagine how many additional slams Serena would have had if the womens field was so shallow Pam freaking Shriver was your next to most biggest competition much of your time on.
puffypoofy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 05:54 AM   #914
country flag puffypoofy

puffypoofy is an unknown quantity at this point

What I am most amazed at Martinas career is her 9 Wimbledons and 6 straight. Amazing, a record at the Worlds biggest event which will probably never be beaten.
puffypoofy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #915
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Fab interview with a fab looking Martina...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxvjwENVGPM
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote