Sloane Stephens: Every point is extremely important - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
country flag DanLovesWTA

DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute
Sloane Stephens: Every point is extremely important

Rising American star Sloane Stephens who announced her arrival on the tennis scene with her stunning victory over her idol and 17 times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open earlier in January has said that every point is equally important in a tennis match.

Australian Open semifinalist Sloane Stephens has declared that she doesn’t think too much when she is up a match point as she considers it as just another point. The 20 year old who is currently ranked No.12 in the world said: “Every point is extremely important. You’ve worked all the points prior to that to get to match point, so no point is more important than the other. So stick with the strategy that has got you that far, and don’t suddenly do something different. Stay aggressive if you can. One of the reasons some players are better than others at playing match points is that they keep on going for shots after they get ahead.”

On being asked about what would be her advice to her opponents if they a have match point against her, she said: “Keep playing as you have been all match, and don’t change that strategy.”

By Pawan Atri http://www.tennisearth.com/news/tenn...nt-984564.htm#
Sorana Cirstea,Jelena Jankovic,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Ana Ivanovic,Caroline Wozniacki,Na Li,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitova,Flavia Pennetta,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Safarova,Madison Keys,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Donna Vekic,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwanska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic.
Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Deserve my appreciation: Steffi Graf, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters.
DanLovesWTA is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sloane Stephens: Every point is extremely important

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLovesWTA View Post
Every point is extremely important.
At last. Sloane has finally realised.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLovesWTA View Post
17 times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams
She only had 15 then and Sloane still has none.

My Top 3 Faves!
JN is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

She said two things:

1 "Every point is extremely important" Yeah ..okay.
2 " no point is more important than the other" Um no. That suggests that strategy and tactics aren't her strength.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #5
country flag Standard

Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold Standard is a splendid one to behold

I can see where she's coming from but it depends on the situation:
If you are 40-0, then, the next point may not be as important as AD-40 or match point.
But I think she means that every point is important and that you have to strive to win each one because you won't get to these situations if you don't.
Standard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #6
country flag NeKo

NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute NeKo has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it is, that's the difference between Juniors and Pros.

PART-TIME POSTER
NeKo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #7
country flag Svizac

Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all Svizac is a name known to all

The 20 year old who is currently ranked No.12 in the world said: “Every WTA title is extremely important."
Svizac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #8
country flag GOATdin0931

GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute GOATdin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

Sloane I do understand where shes coming from Im just biased, Ill admit it.
GOATdin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #9
country flag Thiudans

Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute Thiudans has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt she really thinks like this. Maybe she'd like to, but I don't see a girl, who worked out how many first round losses she could sustain and still remain in the top 30, thinking like this.

And as for this: "“Keep playing as you have been all match, and don’t change that strategy.”... OK. Whatever.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #10
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svizac View Post
The 20 year old who is currently ranked No.12 in the world said: “Every WTA title is extremely important."

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #11
country flag matthias
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute

well, for her the points in MM are less important it seems
matthias is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #12
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

The tennis writers still want to call Serena her idol.

Obviously every point can't be extremely important. Well, you can play like that, aggressive on every single point, but then you might end up like Marion, retiring early with a bum shoulder and burnout BUT a slam for her troubles. Hey, that's not so bad.

Mainly she should remember what she noted: "One of the reasons some players are better than others at playing match points is that they keep on going for shots after they get ahead.” Sometimes Sloane does seem to relax too much after getting ahead.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #13
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between saying something and showing that you actually meant what you said.
dencod16 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #14
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
There is a difference between saying something and showing that you actually meant what you said.
You have to wonder if her new coach, Paul Annacone, has told her to start changing the perception the public & media have of her - i.e., say the right things, not stupid things, in interviews and pressers.

Of course to fully do that she has to do the majority of her talking on the court and start to fulfill her huge potential.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #15
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

LORD!! WHY do you PUNISH me like this?!

I pay my taxes. I'm kind to animals. I sort the trash and make sure to recycle recyclables.
I even make sure the toilet seat is down so wifie doesn't fall in and get wedged.

And yet...you curse with this girl!!!!

Btw, since when is Serena her idol?
This article seems like it's 2 years old.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote