How many Slams won by one player can be called "Fluke" - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How many Slams won by one player can be called "Fluke"

Win is a win, never a fluke. 65 43.33%
Only 1 Slam can be fluke 47 31.33%
2 Slams 8 5.33%
3 Slams 2 1.33%
4 Slams, including Career Grand Fluke 23 15.33%
7 Slams 0 0%
17 Slams 5 3.33%
22 Slams 2 1.33%
24 Fluke Slams , a WR of flukes 5 3.33%
All Slams are Fluke,because Miami is a real Slam 8 5.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #91
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How many Slams won by one player can be called "Fluke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post

Are you being paid to defend Masha? I mean, are you somehow notified whenever she's being clowned online?
That would be nice

So am I not supposed to defend her? Lord knows Maria's fans are completely outnumbered here (at least in GM), so somebody has to check some bitches once in a while
Advertisement

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #92
country flag Nosferatu Zodd

Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all Nosferatu Zodd is a name known to all

"You aren't a real Champion until you defend the belt."
Nosferatu Zodd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #93
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it´s disrespectful to call any Slam win a fluke. Based on form, pre-tournament expectations, how some injuries and draws fell in line Bartoli and Schiavone certainly were the most surprising Slam Champions. Nevertheless you still have to take advantage of these situations. At some point of their careers these same opportunities opened up for players like Safina, Dementieva, Jankovic, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Zvonareva and company. They couldn´t take advantage. That says something about Bartoli and Schiavone.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #94
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ all the way View Post
Definitely think that Azarenka's 2 gs were SUCH BIG flukes.
2012, had Kim not been injured she would have taken Vika out
Same with Li this year.

Azarenka is so lucky to have won both gs
Do you even remember the 2012 AO??? Kim's place in the semi was pretty much a fluke

The only slam winners I think can arguably even be considered a fluke are Majoli and Myskina.

But then I'd still consider Gaudio or Johansson more WTF in the light of history

instargram
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #95
country flag JN
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute JN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollPova View Post
That would be nice

So am I not supposed to defend her? Lord knows Maria's fans are completely outnumbered here (at least in GM), so somebody has to check some bitches once in a while
You'd be fuckin' RICH!!!

JN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #96
country flag anthonyqld

anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of anthonyqld has much to be proud of

1 slam can be. If their opponent in the final does a massive choke. Won't give examples, but there are a couple in both mens and women's.
Yulia Putintseva , Vera Zvonareva , Dominika Cibulkova , Serena Williams , Galina Voskoboeva , Elena Vesnina
Alison Riske , Storm Sanders , Laura Robson , Jarmila Gajdosova , Olivia Rogowska, Tsvetana Pironkova
anthonyqld is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #97
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
I don't think Francesca's win was a fluke as much as the others. Francesca BARELY lost to Na because she was too exhausted playing all of those LONG 3 set matches just to make it to the finals. Had not she had to play so hard, I do believe she would have had the energy to beat Na. Francesca is the only one who was able to make it back to the finals the following year.

None of the other players have been able to make it back to the finals to defend their title. Bartoli retired, so we don't know if she would have made it to the finals again, and I doubt that she would have.

The others are one slam flukers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNL View Post
Bartoli perhaps

But that is mainly because she had the biggest cake draw ever and barely had to play any high ranked players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banette View Post
Bartoli's Wimbledon was a fluke, since she would have lost to half of the players in the draw.
Not only had Bartoli played another GS Final….but she played another WIMBLEDON FINAL. The same event where she has wins over Serena Williams and Justine Henin
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #98
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

From the Cambridge English dictionary:

"Fluke - something good that has happened that is the result of chance instead of skill or planning"

You don't win a grand slam without skill or planning.

bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #99
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

I think a win is a win. You need to play extremely well for 2 weeks to win a GS and you can't get it only with luck. That being said, I think you can consider 1 slam a fluke, specially if the player hasn't done much after that...ie she didn't made another final or SF. I think of a player who has played incredibly well in one tournament but couldn,t reach that level again. I'm thinking of Stosur here in particular...Nobody can deny the fact she played particularly well for the whole tournament in the USO, specially agaisnt Serena but she never played that well ever again...so I would consider her slam a fluke, but she still totally deserved to win it, I just don't believe she can repeat it. SO she didn't win it without skills but I feel that she was lucky in some ways that her best tennis came at that time and never again. The question should be is a one slam wonder a fluke for me.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #100
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey! View Post
I think a win is a win. You need to play extremely well for 2 weeks to win a GS and you can't get it only with luck. That being said, I think you can consider 1 slam a fluke, specially if the player hasn't done much after that...ie she didn't made another final or SF. I think of a player who has played incredibly well in one tournament but couldn,t reach that level again. I'm thinking of Stosur here in particular...Nobody can deny the fact she played particularly well for the whole tournament in the USO, specially agaisnt Serena but she never played that well ever again...so I would consider her slam a fluke, but she still totally deserved to win it, I just don't believe she can repeat it. SO she didn't win it without skills but I feel that she was lucky in some ways that her best tennis came at that time and never again. The question should be is a one slam wonder a fluke for me.
Stosur played that well at the French Open before Schiavone put on the masterclass performance of her life in terms of tactics and shot execution. Stosur also has played very well at the US Open the year before and after her title. It´s not like she suddenly won the Australian Open and Wimbledon, where she amazingly has never beaten a top 20 opponent, and only has four top 50 wins in her whole career.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 04:58 PM   #101
country flag H.O.V

H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold H.O.V is a splendid one to behold

Marion's Slam was a complete fluke. Si as pova's in 04&12
H.O.V is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 05:50 PM   #102
country flag $uricate
Step to this. I dare you.

$uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute $uricate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu Zodd View Post
"You aren't a real Champion until you defend the belt."
This.

The first slam doesn't count.

It's only the defense that counts.

As far as I'm concerned the likes of Ana, Francesca, Petra, Sam etc have not won any.

Maria Sharapova also has zero slams. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it's true.

Really not a champion in my eyes.

I'm actually writing a letter to the ITF just now, requesting that they don't refer to the slam winner as "champion" if it's their first slam. They are not a champion, merely a "title-holder", or a fluke depending on the draw.

PopCon 2013.
$uricate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM   #103
country flag cehowardrx7
73,Old,Dirty,&Fast

cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I should have TRADEMARKED the term "fluke".

73,old, fast, and dirty..My daily warm up: http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv / http://www.cehoward.net/situps1.AVI
Coming down from 3 miles up.. http://www.cehoward.net/188.jpg
My daily commuter motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/pretty4.JPG
My roadrace motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/630-P.jpg
cehowardrx7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 09:26 PM   #104
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim4life227 View Post
People actually underestimate the validity of Fran's win. She backed it up nicely by making the finals the next year (she also made 2 or 3 QFs at slams after it as well). I thought she backed up the result very nicely. Defo better than Stosur has so far.

No doubt about it.

Anyway, a slam is a slam. Unless, you had 7 walkovers, you earned your title.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 09:33 PM   #105
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
Well it´s disrespectful to call any Slam win a fluke. Based on form, pre-tournament expectations, how some injuries and draws fell in line Bartoli and Schiavone certainly were the most surprising Slam Champions. Nevertheless you still have to take advantage of these situations. At some point of their careers these same opportunities opened up for players like Safina, Dementieva, Jankovic, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Zvonareva and company. They couldn´t take advantage. That says something about Bartoli and Schiavone.
Safina - RG 09
Dementieva- RG 04 and 10, US Open 04
Jankovic - RG 10
Woz- US open 09 and 10, Melbourne 11
Agniezska - Wimbledon 13 (for me that was the best chance one could have)
Zvonareva - US OPEN 2010

I Agree with you, those players had some opportunities but didnt have the guts to take them, unfortunately

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Golden Flowers - Stosur - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote