Navratilova: Sexism still in tennis; easier for Federer to be loved than Serena - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #166
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Navratilova: Sexism still in tennis; easier for Federer to be loved than Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
Why don't you take your own advice and act like you have some class and not the troll we know you actually are.
He knows that I have him on IGNORE.
Honestly, he has no credibility, nor integrity when it comes to anything tennis related. So I don't even bother.
I've decided to only post to people who actually have a measurable degree of morals and ethics; which he has neither of.
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #167
country flag snkdy

snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all snkdy is a name known to all
Re: Navratilova: Sexism still in tennis; easier for Federer to be loved than Serena

What a mess of a thread. And as far as what Navratilova said, I see no lies.
snkdy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #168
country flag Serena_Li_Luv

Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold Serena_Li_Luv is a splendid one to behold

Do people truly believe that if Serena had not had her outbursts at the USO people would not continue with their double standards?

That as of this exact moment, people would not continue to go on and on about how weak the WTA is but fail to ever acknowledge the low levels of competition Federer often faced throughout his career? That when Serena returned from a major injury and made the final of the USO it displayed a weak field but when Nadal did even BETTER after returning for a long injury, he is great as he wins 2 majors and everything else in sight? That the great female tennis players are never considered as great as Federer despite having more majors (or even allowing such a discussion)?

The issue is bigger than Serena herself, it's the institutionalized sexism of tennis (and the greater society).
Serena_Li_Luv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #169
country flag I_CLAUDIA_1961
***RIP MAYA***

I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to ask Dominic WHY Elena has 0 slams ...

Elena Sergeevna Baltacha
August 14th 1983-May 4th 2014

"You Fought The Good Fight"
Timothy 4:7

Last edited by I_CLAUDIA_1961 : Nov 27th, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
I_CLAUDIA_1961 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #170
***RIP MAYA***

I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute I_CLAUDIA_1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
I've always wondered that as well but never anyone was able to give me an answer
And what is there to like about your Avatar girl Elena? Very solid talent, Good athlete, but she won NO slams and because Serena and or Venus kept her from winning any, she hated on Serena and Venus and said they along with their father fixed matches, then when asked to prove it said her English was bad. She flat out LIED. Her English was good enough for her to make that baseless accusation of them match-fixing because she couldn't win a slam while they were playing. Again, what's there to like about Elena in a tennis related way ...

Elena Sergeevna Baltacha

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #171
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercarlos View Post
BS post... all the way..

But coming from someone like you really expected.

Like it or not Federer is a bigger tennis icon, more respected by fans and his mates and greater than Serena will ever be.

Given this poster's picture and his known stances, I'm confused as to why people engage this poster.

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #172
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Will you stop with this sexism crap, Maria for one has cussed at umpires before and she's very well liked and not considered classless. You have zero common sense if you think Federer (who I'm not a fan of and I admit was an idiot in that video) has had outbursts as big as Serena has in his career. Federer has never had an episode like Serena's USO 09 or USO 2011. He also speaks kindly of his fellow players and is respectful. Serena is known to not give credit to her opponents and even make fun of them and their achievemnts, her list of disrespectful comments is endless. To be perfectly honest, I think she gets A LOT more support and is more liked than she deserves with that behavior.
Ah '09 u.s. open and '11 u.s. open. How convinient... I think '01 IW cancels out those two. The tour didn't want to act in '01, but now they're all up in arms for two outbursts..
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #173
***RIP MAYA***

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition View Post
When Federer calls one of the umpires ugly on the inside then we'll talk.

If she wants to make such comparisons, she should compare peak brat McEnroe and Connors to women of that time... or something. The problem is that the women didn't get flack back then because they didn't behave like McEnroe or Serena.

Roddick is a better comparison. His boorish tirades around the chair umpires and such are a lot closer to Williams than Federer's on-court behavior. Perhaps she could argue that Roddick's behavior was more tolerated.
It's clear you don't like Serena and that's fine, but what you don't have a right to do is LIE about all these acts of boorish behavior Serena's exhibited. Other than the 2 US Open incidents and smashing rackets which ALL tennis players--even Roger has done--kindly tell me about all this boorish behavior in an almost 20 year career she's exibited. Come on, tell me about the 5 or 6 incidents of boorish behavior, and even if it was 5 or 6 times she acted out WHICH SHE HASN'T, she'd still be WAY behind John McEnroe whose making nice money off HIS career-long boorish acts across DECADES and he's STILL doing it even on the Seniors tour and nearing 60.

Some of you Serena haters, LOVE lying and making things up as you go along ...

Elena Sergeevna Baltacha

Last edited by I_CLAUDIA_1961 : Nov 27th, 2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #174
country flag Bijoux0021

Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute Bijoux0021 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_CLAUDIA_1961 View Post
And what is there to like about your Avatar girl Elena? Very solid talent, Good athlete, but she won NO slams and because Serena and or Venus kept her from winning any, she hated on Serena and Venus and said they along with their father fixed matches, then when asked to prove it said her English was bad. She flat out LIED. Her English was good enough for her to make that baseless accusation of them match-fixing because she couldn't win a slam while they were playing. Again, what's there to like about Elena in a tennis related way ...

*Federer*Nadal*Djokovic*Tsonga*Murray*Monfils*Gulb is*Young*Safin*Mirnyi*

“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”

― Maya Angelou
Bijoux0021 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #175
***RIP MAYA***

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Ah '09 u.s. open and '11 u.s. open. How convinient... I think '01 IW cancels out those two. The tour didn't want to act in '01, but now they're all up in arms for two outbursts..
I think he's clearly still hurting because Elena has that big goose egg next to the sentence "Grand slams won during her tennis career," especially since Serena, and her bad serving kept her from winning any, plus he won't address the fact that Elena LIED about Serena & Venus and their Dad fixing matches. Yep, she LIED, no evidence. But then, again he's perfectly okay with her big fat LIE ...

Elena Sergeevna Baltacha

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #176
***RIP MAYA***

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_pan View Post
Crock of shit. Federer doesn't threaten officials and lines people …. pretty sure it's more to do with that hey. (Probably been posted 1000 times before this but IDGAF)

Also I hate Federer and he irritates me …. but i can totally see why he is so much more popular. I think people like Clijsters & Li etc are just as popular as Federer in Australia at least, she's a great champion but Serena does not have the kind of personality/attitude that get people behind her.
HOLD UP.

Arthur Ashe was as well-liked and called classy quite a lot as a person can GET--Was seen as a role model--beloved, and STILL that poor man said it was easier livng with AIDS than being black. When a man can say living with AIDS is easier than being black, that pretty much says it ALL about there being racist attacks hurled @ Serena followed by the Sexist attacks.

Martina's right, Sexism is also a reason she's not liked as well. Michael Jordan was a complete asshole when he played, but that ONLY started leaking out when his REAL persona was revealed after he retired. I know sports reporters personally who've had to deal with him when he wasn't in his "I wanna be like Mike" commercials, was rude, nasty and snide, cracked jokes on fellow team mates, yet he was seen as a WINNER because HE was confident about HIS game abilities. Believe me, he talked trash until he could see straight, yet Serena gets uber-attacked for being super confident in her game and her tennis abilities. Serena IS the victim of racism and sexism.

Elena Sergeevna Baltacha

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #177
country flag Human Nature
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute Human Nature has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_CLAUDIA_1961 View Post
HOLD UP.

Arthur Ashe was as well-liked and called classy quite a lot as a person can GET--Was seen as a role model--beloved, and STILL that poor man said it was easier livng with AIDS than being black. When a man can say living with AIDS is easier than being black, that pretty much says it ALL about there being racist attacks hurled @ Serena followed by the Sexist attacks.

Martina's right, Sexism is also a reason she's not liked as well. Michael Jordan was a complete asshole when he played, but that ONLY started leaking out when his REAL persona was revealed after he retired. I know sports reporters personally who've had to deal with him when he wasn't in his "I wanna be like Mike" commercials, was rude, nasty and snide, cracked jokes on fellow team mates, yet he was seen as a WINNER because HE was confident about HIS game abilities. Believe me, he talked trash until he could see straight, yet Serena gets uber-attacked for being super confident in her game and her tennis abilities. Serena IS the victim of racism and sexism.

Michael Jackson :King Of Pop and Musical Genius
Until i die you will always be in my heart .
Serena Williams : Greatest Player of All Times .
Ready for 18
Human Nature is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #178
country flag StephenUK

StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think Martina makes a good point - whenever women's tennis has a 'great', it is always accused of not having any depth, but when men's tennis is dominated, then the champion gets credit. There is still so much sexism, women's tennis is not accorded the respect it deserves, this happens every year with the BBC Wimbledon coverage for instance (see John Inverdale, passim). You could definitely argue that beyond Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and del Potro, there is not much depth in the men's game at the moment.

However, I would say that Roger Federer is also popular because of his style of tennis and his personality - reasons why he would always be more popular than Serena Williams...or the yawnfest that was Pete Sampras, for instance. Federer is more like a Borg, polite, loveable style of champion - a better comparator for Serena is Super Brat John McEnroe. You have to wonder why McEnroe was more popular than Serena, rather than Federer. His behaviour was far worse than hers, yet for some reason people loved him for it (though I hated him with a passion)! That must be sexism..

Federer has also benefited enormously from his rivalry with Nadal and Djokovic, which recalls the great rivalry of Borg, McEnroe and Connors or Navratilova/Evert, Graf/Seles etc. Serena's only worthy rival after her initial period was Justine Henin and this did not last unfortunately, due to Justine's retirements. I think if Justine had lasted in the game and still competed with Serena up to now and won some more slams, maybe Serena would have been given more credit for her wins than she does in an era where she seems to have no rivals.

Last edited by StephenUK : Nov 27th, 2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: add paragraph
StephenUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #179
country flag sweetpeas

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Fed went throught the locker room bull shit ,like there was one Wta player whom took it upon herself to collect some of the otherr ladies stinking dirty sole under wears in to her and Venus locker! I don't think most of the commentration talk good about S. V. Hair!back then!But Martin and her co worker's in this great so call America did a lot of damage themself on the Sisters Serena was rob more from a umpires then any of her so call outburst!!!!!But dear Serena 'please don't act up the next time'. o no 'let them stick you in your ass again and again!!
sweetpeas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #180
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

OMG is that I_CLAUDIA_1961 person a joke?!
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote