Navratilova: Sexism still in tennis; easier for Federer to be loved than Serena - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #151
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Navratilova: Sexism still in tennis; easier for Federer to be loved than Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena_Li_Luv View Post
How did this discussion transform from sexism existing in tennis to class and an attack on Serena's character? What a mess
In addition to 2notrum mentioned, there was this gem out of nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
She is full of bullshit as she has always been. Another case to try to force affirmative actions, this time in tennis.

I admit that popularity of women is comparable to men minus 10 ranking positions, meaning women ranked 1-10 are as popular as men ranked 11-20, etc.
But what can you do about it? Whine on TV and force media to pretend the equality? They do it already, so what else do you want? Whine about people's attitude?
And guess what: majority of WTA fans are male, while majority of female fans prefer ATP. So whine about your own kind, Martina. I, as a male, did nothing wrong.

You know how to fix it? I know: make female players compete as men do: five setters, no daddys, no tears, no bullshit, fight to the end, sweat and blood. And no bitchiness to each other. No "back to Poland" comments, no false dramas, no bullshit on and off court.
Physically impossible? Then complain to God.

--
and when asked to clarify the above bold comments, you get this inexplicable retort. From sexism pivoting directly to minorities wanting free stuff, even Grand Slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Are you proposing the minorities should be granted free rides to grand slams?

--

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Nov 27th, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #152
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Navratilova: Sexism still in tennis; easier for Federer to be loved than Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2notrump View Post
Because it's more or less related.

Federer's behavior doesn't matter. People already form an image of him in their minds and go with that. He cusses out people and that golden image doesn't change. He's the elder statesman.

Serena's behavior doesn't matter. People already form an image of her in their minds and go with that. She cusses out people and she's appalling. She doesn't have class.

It's sexist because the man can act a certain way without reprecussion but the woman doing it earns scorn and damnation from the herpies harpies.
Will you stop with this sexism crap, Maria for one has cussed at umpires before and she's very well liked and not considered classless. You have zero common sense if you think Federer (who I'm not a fan of and I admit was an idiot in that video) has had outbursts as big as Serena has in his career. Federer has never had an episode like Serena's USO 09 or USO 2011. He also speaks kindly of his fellow players and is respectful. Serena is known to not give credit to her opponents and even make fun of them and their achievemnts, her list of disrespectful comments is endless. To be perfectly honest, I think she gets A LOT more support and is more liked than she deserves with that behavior.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #153
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute

Crock of shit. Federer doesn't threaten officials and lines people …. pretty sure it's more to do with that hey. (Probably been posted 1000 times before this but IDGAF)

Also I hate Federer and he irritates me …. but i can totally see why he is so much more popular. I think people like Clijsters & Li etc are just as popular as Federer in Australia at least, she's a great champion but Serena does not have the kind of personality/attitude that get people behind her.

Olivia ROGOWSKA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Dasha GAVRILOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #154
country flag SocaBrainwash

SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you want? Ritual Seppuku?

It wasn't her finest moment, it was a black eye for her legacy. But you treat it as if she was stalking Shino and punched her in the chest or went upside Shino's head with a DVD player. All parties have moved on except y'all. Like really?

It's done and dusted, get over it.
SocaBrainwash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #155
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Will you stop with this sexism crap, Maria for one has cussed at umpires before and she's very well liked and not considered classless. You have zero common sense if you think Federer (who I'm not a fan of and I admit was an idiot in that video) has had outbursts as big as Serena has in his career. Federer has never had an episode like Serena's USO 09 or USO 2011. He also speaks kindly of his fellow players and is respectful. Serena is known to not give credit to her opponents and even make fun of them and their achievemnts, her list of disrespectful comments is endless. To be perfectly honest, I think she gets A LOT more support and is more liked than she deserves with that behavior.
That's bullshit. Sexism abounds right here on TF and we can start with this post. John McEnroe who has had an ongoing contract with Tennis Channel and ESPN was the bad boy with his outbursts and behaviour yet he is praised by the tennis establishment.
crescentmoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #156
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2notrump View Post
So what do you want? Ritual Seppuku?

It wasn't her finest moment, it was a black eye for her legacy. But you treat it as if she was stalking Shino and punched her in the chest or went upside Shino's head with a DVD player. All parties have moved on except y'all. Like really?

It's done and dusted, get over it.
To some people, Serena will never be able to live down that incident.
Some knew they hated Serena, but couldn't quite explain why.
Then this incident fell right in their lap. They will use it against Serena beyond her playing days.

You have seen how often and easily it gets posted when poster want to bolster their argument against Serena, no matter the topic.

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #157

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_pan View Post
Crock of shit. Federer doesn't threaten officials and lines people …. pretty sure it's more to do with that hey. (Probably been posted 1000 times before this but IDGAF)

Also I hate Federer and he irritates me …. but i can totally see why he is so much more popular. I think people like Clijsters & Li etc are just as popular as Federer in Australia at least, she's a great champion but Serena does not have the kind of personality/attitude that get people behind her.
Full of shit, considering the tennis establishment looks at John McEnroe can do no wrong yet he was the bad guy of the ATP, yet, Serena was treated like crap at Indian Wells when she was a teenager, get real and quit lying through your teeth.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Then this incident fell right in their lap. They will use it against Serena beyond her playing days.

You have seen how often and easily it gets posted when poster want to bolster their argument against Serena, no matter the topic.
Yeah, it's probably the same people that said those awful comments and jeered Serena at Indian Wells when she was a teenager.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #159
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
That's bullshit. Sexism abounds right here on TF and we can start with this post. John McEnroe who has had an ongoing contract with Tennis Channel and ESPN was the bad boy with his outbursts and behaviour yet he is praised by the tennis establishment.
He's been retired for many years, he got a lot of criticism back in the day. I'm 100% sure that many years after Serena retires she'll also be praised by the tennis establishment and will have a job as a commentator or whatnot if she wants.

And I don't even get why you're saying that, are you trying to say that Serena is not praised by the tennis establishment right now?! God everyone is kissing her ass.

What was sexist about my post?
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #160
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
Yeah, it's probably the same people that said those awful comments and jeered Serena at Indian Wells when she was a teenager.

Some of the same people who are now adamant and determined to explain why Serena is not liked were also adamant when some of us expressed our disappointment that the American public had not, over the years, given the support that a home country player customarily from their home fans.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Nov 27th, 2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #161
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_pan View Post

The point is, he's no where near the "class act" that many here and throughout the tennis world attempt to make him out to be.

I'm sure this is easy enough to understand.

Now, fans are free to like and dislike whoever they want.
However, they will NOT get away with using baseless reasoning against the one greatest female athlete to grace the tennis courts in years, and have to be subjected to senseless comparisons with a pretentious, pompous, boring, ATP player idolized by fans who actively ignore his failings, weaknesses, and mistakes.

That is what people are saying here.
And it really doesn't matter who accepts these facts or not, because his failings are documented and immortalized on video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post

And also the same people who will never admit to Serena being subjected to some of the worst treatment by the tennis community at large, during the the majority of her tennis career.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #162
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
The point is, he's no where near the "class act" that many here and throughout the tennis world attempt to make him out to be.

I'm sure this is easy enough to understand.

Now, fans are free to like and dislike whoever they want.
However, they will NOT get away with using baseless reasoning against the one greatest female athlete to grace the tennis courts in years, and have to be subjected to senseless comparisons with a pretentious, pompous, boring, ATP player idolized by fans who actively ignore his failings, weaknesses, and mistakes.

That is what people are saying here.
And it really doesn't matter who accepts these facts or not, because his failings are documented and immortalized on video.And also the same people who will never admit to Serena being subjected to some of the worst treatment by the tennis community at large, during the the majority of her tennis career.
BS post... all the way..

But coming from someone like you really expected.

Like it or not Federer is a bigger tennis icon, more respected by fans and his mates and greater than Serena will ever be.

Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercarlos View Post
BS post... all the way..

But coming from someone like you really expected.

Federer is a bigger tennis icon, more respected by fans and his mates and greater than Serena will ever be.

Such a delusional poster, typical BS at its best.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #164
country flag Dominic

RDV can you stop being so ridiculous? Federer has had a few very minor "glitches" throughout his career, but on average he's a million times classier and just plain nicer than Serena, that's just undeniable.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
RDV can you stop being so ridiculous? Federer has had a few very minor "glitches" throughout his career, but on average he's a million times classier than Serena, that's just undeniable.
Why don't you take your own advice and act like you have some class and not the troll we know you actually are.