sgls tiebreaker or lessening dbls format - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: sgls 3rd set tiebreaker or lessening the dbls format

sgls, tiebreaker in lieu of 3rd set 3 42.86%
dbls, lessening the format from 8 to 6 games(5 all) 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:18 PM   #1
country flag fantic

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
sgls tiebreaker or lessening dbls format

They seem to be quite insistent on lessening the playing time, no matter what, to fit the TV schedule; the 'judgement day' is near at hand(I may be exaggerating, but I do think if 'the dam bursts', there's no turning back).

So, if it comes to this, if one HAS to choose between these two format changes, which would you prefer;

1)singles, in lieu of 3rd set, tiebreaker

2)doubles, lessening from 8 to 6 games(ITA proposed 5 all for the tiebreaker, whereas it was formerly 8 all; it's now 7 all)

It sounds silly to propose such a scenario , but in fact in might not be QUITE silly..

User ID won't be revealed.
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Nov 23rd, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:30 PM   #2
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sgls tiebreaker or lessening dbls format

Shortening doubles. A 10 point tiebreaker for the third set of singles would be a complete travesty.
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM   #3
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

Does anyone even remember when the last time was that a college match was televised live? Despite what some wish to believe, I don't envision this changing any time real soon.

I think they just need to designate an experimental format (I voted for shortened doubles, but really don't care which) *specifically* for live TV matches. Then the 100% of matches that are not on live TV can go on as they do now.
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM   #4
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSEMT View Post
Does anyone even remember when the last time was that a college match was televised live? Despite what some wish to believe, I don't envision this changing any time real soon.

I think they just need to designate an experimental format (I voted for shortened doubles, but really don't care which) *specifically* for live TV matches. Then the 100% of matches that are not on live TV can go on as they do now.
The Florida/Stanford final where Embree came back to beat Burdette (2011?) was televised live on ESPNU. I think that was the last one.
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 06:33 PM   #5
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

Wasn't USC vs. UCLA televised live on Pac-12 network last season?
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #6
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

How often will they televise games? 3 matches all season long

Really if they're worried that the matches are too long, then why not just televise the last few games of the doubles match, instead of changing the format.

I'm really not much a tennis FANaTIC to watch the doubles match in its entirety. This way, you don't mess with what is not broken.

Even considering about changing the singles format is just plain wrong...
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #7
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
The Florida/Stanford final where Embree came back to beat Burdette (2011?) was televised live on ESPNU. I think that was the last one.
I think that would be the last match I would want to watch.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #8
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:

I agree, if it has to be done for television, then only make the format changes in matches that are televised. Also, don't mess with the warm-up. Television can come live when the match starts, or even at the first changeover.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #9
country flag beachman49

beachman49 has disabled reputation

There is no TV interest. I work in the industry and other than maybe doing the finals match there is zero interest. Plus the NCAA has given up ramming that match into the ESPN deal recently in exchange for more cash anyway.

That TV thing is a smoke screen for the USTA trying to dumby down tennis nationwide under the bs argument that more people will watch it and thus participate. Just not true. The current USTA administration has so destroyed the US youth development system that now they try every misdirection argument to cover themselves for creating ZERO grass roots programs. Heck, even junior high school PE classes do not teach tennis anymore.

This is so ridiculous a proposal and such a heavy handed effort that the NCAA and USTA met this summer to discuss these changes and literally would not let the ITA representatives in the room. The ITA were there and were not admitted into a meeting to discuss NCAA college tennis.

Coaches and players are 99% opposed to this. But I was told by two coaches that the NCAA rep for tennis is lazy and hates how long good matches take.

A question, is the NCAA going to shorten college baseball games to 6 innings because those games can take 4+ hours to play on ESPN each June/July.

Ask the players. So sad. I mostly worry that a change like this which fundamentally changes the way the game is tactically played will be the next step to the death of college tennis.

It is a great sport and college tennis is great viewing when it is played well. The issue is not scoring but improving the level of play for the bottom half of the D1 schools.
beachman49 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #10
country flag CTSEMT

CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all CTSEMT is a name known to all

And the ITA says: why settle for either/or when we can do both: http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/...t-changes.html

Quote:
"ITA Experimental Format" for women's Division I only:

* The dual meet will consist of three doubles matches played first (worth a total of one point), followed by six singles matches, each individual match worth one point. Four points are required to win the team match.

* The three doubles matches will each consist of one set, with regular scoring and a tie-breaker at 6-all. Once a team has won two doubles matches, the remaining doubles match shall not be completed. (NB. this "clinch" policy is the current rule in the ITA Women's' Kick-off Weekend, ITA Women's National Indoor Team Championships and the NCAA Women's Team Championships).

* Six singles matches will follow the doubles. Each singles match is two out of three sets, with each set using regular scoring, and a match tie-breaker in lieu of the third set.

* All singles matches will be played to completion unless both coaches agree to do otherwise. (NB. the "clinch" policy is the current rule in the ITA Women's Kick-off Weekend, the ITA Women's National Indoor Team Championships and the NCAA Women's Team Championships. Therefore once four points have been reached, the remaining singles matches will not be completed in these events).

* There will be no warm-up against opponents before the first point is played in doubles and singles: players will be expected to warm-up with their own team prior to the scheduled match time. A written pre-match protocol will be made available in early January.
CTSEMT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #11
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
And the ITA says: why settle for either/or when we can do both: http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/...t-changes.html
Using this experimental BS at indoors just confirms that indoors isn't a serious tier level event.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #12
country flag slickshoes510

slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light slickshoes510 is a glorious beacon of light

http://pac-12.com/article/2013/12/18...al-meet-format

Walnut Creek, Calif. – The Pac-12 announced today that it would feature some of its top teams in the experimental Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) dual meet format for three matches this spring. All three matches will be televised live on Pac-12 Networks as part of a slate that will feature more collegiate tennis on one network than ever before.
slickshoes510 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote