2013 - Season Review and Off-Season Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 26th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #1
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute
2013 - Season Review and Off-Season Thread

Angie's 2013

Brisbane International - Brisbane, Australia
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Anna Tatishvili 6-2 4-6 6-2
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Monica Puig 3-6 6-4 7-6
QF - Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova def. Angelique Kerber 7-6 7-6
Apia International - Sydney, Australia
R1 - Angelique Kerber vs. BYE
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Galina Voskoboeva 6-2 7-5
QF - Angelique Kerber def. Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-3 7-5
SF - Dominika Cibulkova def. Angelique Kerber 6-2 3-6 6-3
Australian Open 2013 - Melbourne, Australia
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Elina Svitolina 6-2 6-4
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Lucie Hradecka 6-3 6-1
R3 - Angelique Kerber def. Madison Keys 6-2 7-5
R4 - Ekaterina Makarova def. Angelique Kerber 7-5 6-4
QATAR TOTAL OPEN - Doha, Qatar
R2 - Mona Barthel def. Angelique Kerber 6-1 6-2
Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships - Dubai, UAE
R2 - Roberta Vinci def. Angelique Kerber 7-5 6-1

The first part of her season was unfortunately dominated by a back injury that particularly hampered her serve. In retrospect she probably should have skipped Doha and Dubai, but given the rules of the WTA Top 10 list it were understandable decisions to play these tournaments.

BNP Paribas Open - Indian Wells, USA
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Irina-Camelia Begu 6-3 6-2
R3 - Angelique Kerber def. Yanina Wickmayer 6-1 7-6
R4 - Angelique Kerber def. Garbine Muguruza 6-4 7-5
QF - Angelique Kerber def. Samantha Stosur W/O
SF - Caroline Wozniacki def. Angelique Kerber 2-6 6-4 7-5
Sony Open - Miami, USA
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Francesca Schiavone 6-7 6-3 6-2
R3 - Sorana Cirstea def. Angelique Kerber 6-4 6-0
Monterrey Open - Monterrey, Mexico
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Samantha Crawford 6-3 6-3
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Alla Kudryavtseva 6-4 4-6 6-2
QF - Angelique Kerber def. Ayumi Morita 6-2 6-1
SF - Angelique Kerber def. Maria Kirilenko 6-4 2-6 6-2
F - Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova def. Angelique Kerber 4-6 6-2 6-4
Germany vs Serbia - Stuttgart, Germany
SAT - Angelique Kerber def. Bojana Jovanovski 7-5 6-2
SUN - Ana Ivanovic def. Angelique Kerver 7-5 6-4
Porsche Tennis Grand Prix - Stuttgart, Germany
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Anastasja Pavlyuchenkova 6-0 6-4
QF - Angelique Kerber def. Yaroslava Shvedova 6-3 7-6
SF - Maria Sharapova def. Angelique Kerber 6-3 2-6 7-5
Mutua Madrid Open - Madrid, Spain
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Su-Wei Hsieh 3-6 6-3 6-2
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Alize Cornet 6-4 6-2
R3 - Angelique Kerver def. Svetlana Kuznetsova 3-6 6-4 7-5
QF - Ana Ivanovic def. Angelique Kerber 6-3 6-1
French Open - Paris, France
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Mona Barthel 7-6 6-2
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Jana Cepelova 6-2 6-2
R3 - Angelique Kerver def. Varvara Lepchenko 6-4 6-7 6-4
R4 - Svetlana Kuznetsova def. Angelique Kerber 6-4 4-6 6-3

The second part of the season saw improvements in her results, but not really in her game. She made the final of Monterrey and reached the semifinals of Indian Wells and Stuttgart, but (maybe with the exception of Stuttgart) her level of play was still below of what we were used to in 2012. She continued to take of the must-win watches, but there wasn't much beyond that.

Aegon International - Eastbourne, UK
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Sorana Cirstea 6-4 6-4
R2 - Ekaterina Makarova def. Angelique Kerver 6-3 6-4
Wimbledon - London, UK
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-3 6-4
R2 - Kaia Kanepi def Angelique Kerber 3-6 7-6 6-3
Citi Open - Washington, USA
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Irina Falconi 6-2 6-3
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Melanie Oudin 7-5 6-0
QF - Magdalena Rybarikova def. Angelique Kerber 7-6 3-6 6-3
Rogers Cup - Toronto, Canada
R2 - Dominika Cibulkova def. Angelique Kerber 6-7 6-2 7-5
Western & Southern Open - Cincinnati, USA
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Karin Knapp 6-7 6-0 6-1
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Alisa Kleybanova 7-6 6-2
R3 - Li Na def. Angelique Kerber 6-4 6-4
New Haven Open - New Haven, USA
R1 - BYE
R2 - Elena Vesnina def. Angelique Kerber 6-2 6-4
US Open - New York, USA
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Lucie Hradecka 6-1 6-1
R2 - Angelique Kerver def. Genie Bouchard 6-4 2-6 6-4
R3 - Angelique Kerber def. Kaia Kanepi 6-0 6-4
R4 - Carla Suarez-Navarro def. Angelique Kerber 4-6 6-3 7-6

Probably the most disappointing part of her season saw her lose early in Wimbledon in a match that she should have won and lose relatively early in the US Open in a match that she could have won. Nothing noteworthy in between.

Toray Pan Pacific Open - Tokyo, Japan
R1 - BYE
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor 6-0 6-1
R3 - Angelique Kerber def. Ana Ivanovic 6-4 6-2
QF - Angelique Kerber def. Agnieszka Radwanska 6-4 6-4
SF - Angelique Kerber def. Caroline Wozniacki 6-4 7-6
F - Petra Kvitova def. Angelique Kerber 6-2 0-6 6-3
China Open - Beijing, China
R1 - BYE
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Laura Robson 6-1 6-2
R3 - Angelique Kerber def. Roberta Vinci 6-2 6-4
QF - Agnieszka Radwanska def. Angelique Kerber 7-6 6-4
Generali Ladies - Linz, Austria
R1 - Angelique Kerber def. Monica Niculescu 0-6 6-1 6-2
R2 - Angelique Kerber def. Alexandra Cadantu 6-1 6-0
QF - Angelique Kerber def. Patricia Mayr-Achleitner 6-3 6-1
SF - Angelique Kerber def. Carla Suarez Navarro 6-2 6-0
F - Angelique Kerber def. Ana Ivanovic 6-4 7-6
WTA Championships - Istanbul, Turkey
RR1 - Serena Williams def. Angelique Kerber 6-3 6-1
RR2 - Angelique Kerber def. Agnieszka Radwanska 6-2 6-2
RR3 - Petra Kvitova def. Angelique Kerber 6-7 6-2 6-3

Angie's back! As soon as she set off to Asia we suddenly got out Angie back to her 2012 form. She made the final in Tokyo, got a very late Wild Card into Linz which finally got her a few more haters, snatched the Linz victory from Ana, which got her a lot more haters and qualified for the YEC for the 2nd year in a row, finally getting her first win there. She also got her first 3 Top 10 wins at the business end of the season, beating Wozniacki and Radwanska (twice).

Off-Season & Outlook

We don't know too much about her off-season, but it's probably safe to assume that after a well-deserved vacation she will train at Schüttler/Waske together with Petko again. The last part of her season also saw the disappearance of her long-time coach Torben Beltz, replaced by the Schüttler/Waske-head coach Benjamin "Benny!" Ebrahimzadeh. No official word on that soon, but given her resurgence in these 2 months it would be a shame if she couldn't continue with this setup in 2014. Benny seems to regularly find the right words to reach Angie's difficult mind.

Last edited by KatjaS : Dec 22nd, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
KatjaS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 26th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
country flag Fury

Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of Fury has much to be proud of
Re: 2013 - Season Review and Off-Season Thread

Another great review! Thank you so much.

Dinah Pfizenmaier * Angie Kerber * Annika Beck * Julia Goerges * Sam Stosur * Li Na * Simona Halep * Svetlana Kuznetsova * Venus Williams * Vika Azarenka * Ashleigh Barty
Fury is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #3
country flag Poldo

Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of

Thank you Katja!
Poldo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #4
country flag Poldo

Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of

Does anyone know something about her plans in january? Again Brisbane and Sydney?
Poldo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #5
country flag mk27

mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably, because she can still play only 2 International tournaments next year.
mk27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #6
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #7
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poldo View Post
Does anyone know something about her plans in january? Again Brisbane and Sydney?
Yes, she has entered both tournaments.
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #8
country flag Schnffy

Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of Schnffy has much to be proud of

Quote:

Jetzt Mitmachen: Gewinne ein Meet & Greet mit Angie Kerber

Unter dem Motto „One day with Angie – Dein Tag mit Deutschlands Nr.1” erfüllen Tennis-Point und adidas den Traum eines jeden Tennisspielers: Einmal mit Deutschlands bester Tennisspielerin zusammen auf dem Court stehen und sie persönlich bei einem einzigartigen Meet & Greet kennenzulernen.

Im Rahmen der Veranstaltung in Köln wartet am 29. November 2013 ein ganz besonderes Event vielleicht schon auf Dich: Tennis-Point und adidas bieten dem Gewinner unseres Facebook-Quiz die Möglichkeit, mit Angelique Kerber bei einem gemütlichen Brunch über die Geschehnisse der vergangenen Saison zu plaudern. Doch selbstverständlich darf auch der aktive Part nicht fehlen: Freue Dich auf eine exklusive Trainingssession mit wertvollen Tipps und Ratschlägen von Deutschlands Tennis-Ass und zeige Dein Können beim abschließenden Showmatch.

Teilnahmeschluss ist der 20. November 2013. Viel Glück!
One Day with Angie
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #9
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

her video on fb

I just love her semplicity

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #10
country flag KatjaS

KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute KatjaS has a reputation beyond repute

She's so gloriously awkward in front of the camera.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #11
country flag Caipirinha Guy

Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute Caipirinha Guy has a reputation beyond repute

This weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) Angelique Kerber tennis academy hold a prestigous tournament "Angie Cup". It is open for all women however usually it is played by juniors.
It's in Puszczykowo near Poznań, played on indoor carpet.

It is Polish Tennis Association event.
From the previous year:

Caipirinha Guy is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #12
country flag HH from HH

HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice

It´s astounding whoever claims or is said to have developed herself as a player and person. So will we have the pleasure to watch better, matured, settled german tennis girls next year?

Görges:
Frequently telling us that she has learned so much about herself ("I want to pay more attention to my body, play fewer tournaments" (translation by KatjaS). "I want to be convicted by my game." Nensel, I hear you sermonizing.
And then - a huge change!: "I want to again consistenly bring my performance."
Please don´t, CHANGE is the keyword.
Consistently performing her defeats? Nensel - please implement something better in her mind. She is listening to you.

Petkovic:
Claims "to be in the most relaxed phase of my life just now - as a tennis plyer and a person." (at Franfurt „Charity-Tennisturnier“).
But these days she also says: "I don´t panic but I get somewhat hectical. I really don´t have too much time left (Sport Bild).
Just this had been her attitude when the series of injuries occured.
I don´t know what to make of these statements.

Lisicki:
Hopefully not so extremely confused next year as her fans, adorers, followers, stalkers are because of recent private things with this guy, äh, . . . sorry, I have forgotten his name.

Maybe there are some stable facts left?

Mona Barthel:
Communication silence. Presumably the same procedure as every year. At least solid as rock, amidst so many moulted, brand-new ball chasing german cracks.

But as to Barthel I will stop my iromic comments, and that for some special reasons:

Whenever last season she lost a game and (together with her mum coach) was critized heavily here I remembered a posting years ago from her sister. Mona had lost a match, had received lots of bad judgements, and then her sister posted: "What do you badmouthers really know about her! What did you censors achieve in your own life?" And she mentioned her sisters difficult situation because of the cancer of her mother.
I know how disturbing and worrisome a situation with suffering parents can be. I believe here is the origin of her clinging to the mother. And never would I blame her for this, we have to respect it, it´s her decision. What we see sometimes - she herself is not happy with this situation, struggling with her family position, as she is struggling in her games.
As I mentioned in another posting of mine: "We know so little about the private life of our german players." And I ironically added: "Some of us did not even foresee that Lisicki would have another boyfriend". Really, we don´t look behind the curtain that protects the players, and that´s okay with me.

But finally there are convincing reports about a player who really learned something from the last season:

Kerber:
2013 was "a season of consolidation, and finding out more about herself as a person and competitor". (burnstennis.blogspot.) Wants to improve her game by playing more aggressive, powerful shots, with better serves.
In this case I´m inclined to believe her: "She has gone through a unique period of learning about herself, managing disappointment, injuries, motivation, change of coaching setup and still found a way to finish the year on a relative high. That is something which takes mental strength and character." (burnstennis)
Nothing to add.
HH from HH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #13
country flag KatjaS

According to Tennismagazin our beloved Benny is now officially Angie's new tour coach.

Quote:
Trainer-Update: Angelique Kerber wird - wie erwartet - 2014 nicht mehr mit Torben Beltz zusammenarbeiten. Als fester Coach wird stattdessen Benjamin Ebrahimzadeh auf der Tour dabei sein. Ebrahimzadeh hatte Kerber schon bei den letzten Turnieren 2013 begleitet.
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #14
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute

2013 was a tough year for Angie. It was always going to be that way I think after a stellar 2012. Back down to Earth with a bump. Still, she showed us at the end of the season that she's not lost her game and I look forward to her maintaining her top 10 ranking next season.
CheddarChomper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #15
country flag KatjaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya0 View Post
Video from hard working Angie on her FB

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
I really like the impression Angie and her team give. Confident about next year when it comes to her.