Sharapova: Toughness Brought Me Titles, Victories and Smiles - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #91
country flag serenafan08

serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute serenafan08 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sharapova: Toughness Brought Me Titles, Victories and Smiles

Here's my take on things. I think for marketing purposes, the WTA wanted this "rivalry" between Serena and Maria to really develop. Maria is your blonde, pretty, tall, skinny white girl, stereotypical of women's tennis, and Serena has the perfect personality for a clash. Serena had been around for a while, winning 5 out of 6 Slams in 2002-2003, and here is an up-and-comer, the "next generation" ready to take over the mantle if you will. I think Serena feels like losing Wimbledon in 2004 started this whole Sharapova firestorm...she feels responsible for it. Everyone was ready to bill Her as the new queen of tennis and a better player than Serena. But Serena simply hasn't let that happen. 13 wins in a row, going on 10 years since the last loss to Maria...when she plays Maria I get the sense that she's almost irritated that people try to put them on the same level. Serena LOOOOVVVEEESSSSS beating Sharapova. It's not just that she's beating her, but beating the idea that this girl is a rival to her, that she's competition, and that she's the "next generation" of tennis. Watch Serena's body language against everyone else and then watch when she plays Maria. It's different. She's more aggressive, more tenacious, and honestly if she could beat her love and love each time she would. Now...things have gone to Serena's head. Yes, the comments she made in the Rolling Stones article were out of line. It's a dig at someone she feels like she's beaten down psychologically, and clearly it's worked because Maria has come back with her own comments, which isn't like her. I just wish they'd play tennis and stop with the press war. It gets people talking though, I suppose.

5 AO ('03, '05, '07, '09, '10), 2 FO ('02, '13)
5 WBN ('02, '03, '09, '10, '12), 6 USO ('99, '02, '08, '12, '13, '14)
serenafan08 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #92
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollPova View Post
so you think that these past 10 years have been super rough for me because Serena is more successful than Maria?

I can't even imagine what you must have gone through as a Caroline fan then, since she did absolutely nothing useful during her time on top. Oh, yes, your coping mechanism was instead to dump her ass for Azarenka, someone who yes, has been successful. So congratulations on moving yourself up that success ladder, buddy. Guess we can't all cope as well as you can
At least he likes players for their tennis. Fact is, we all change favourites all the time. Players change their games all the time. Vika has improved. Serena is a different player to early 2000s. No one's a born fan of a player unless it's Sharapova is it, because she's so "beautiful" and so "marketable"? So certain type of fans naturally flock to her?

Sam L is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #93
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
At least he likes players for their tennis. Fact is, we all change favourites all the time. Players change their games all the time. Vika has improved. Serena is a different player to early 2000s. No one's a born fan of a player unless it's Sharapova is it, because she's so "beautiful" and so "marketable"? So certain type of fans naturally flock to her?
Yes, the only reason I've remained a fan of Maria for 10 consecutive years is because she's pretty. TRUTH. I could not care any less about Maria's tennis, in fact I think it's absolutely hideous. But she's so PRETTY, so to Hell with her net game, right? And damn, don't get me started on that grunting. Have you HEARD that sound?? But truthfully, the appeal of her bum >>>>>>>>> any other possible deficit, so I'll stick with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
Not pressed at all. Just hate Maria and all she stands for.
TrollPova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #94
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That part may have been a stretch , but she's certainly one of the most famous for sure
Williams sisters and Sharapova are the three main names for the non fans of tennis.

But to rank them is another story

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Golden Flowers - Stosur - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #95
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
So the only reason why Maria has fans is because she's pretty? That's like saying the only reason Serena has fans is because she's black, or the only reason Vika has fans is because she's dating Redfoo. You do know players are inspirational to a generation right? If anything your opinion makes you sound a thousand times more shallow than Maria's 'superficial' fans. She's been on the tour for 10 years, she's won tournaments and slams, been world #1. It's not like she barely made an imprint on the world and just posed for magazines
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #96
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, the only reason I've remained a fan of Maria for 10 consecutive years is because she's pretty. TRUTH. I could not care any less about Maria's tennis, in fact I think it's absolutely hideous. But she's so PRETTY, so to Hell with her net game, right? And damn, don't get me started on that grunting. Have you HEARD that sound?? But truthfully, the appeal of her bum >>>>>>>>> any other possible deficit, so I'll stick with her.
I wonder why your avatar is a photo of her at some fashion event then, instead of one in a tennis dress.

That goes not just for you by the way, it's obvious that many of the die-hard Sharapova fans seem to be much more into her off-court nonsense than her tennis.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #97
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

^ and I'm not even going to address THAT
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #98
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute TrollPova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
I wonder why your avatar is a photo of her at some fashion event then, instead of one in a tennis dress.

That goes not just for you by the way, it's obvious that many of the die-hard Sharapova fans seem to be much more into her off-court nonsense than her tennis.
Oh I'm sorry. I guess every single poster here who doesn't have an avatar of their fave doing something tennis related isn't a real fan of that player's game.

Try harder next time

Quote:
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #99
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
^ and I'm not even going to address THAT
I got this

Quote:
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #100
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry. I guess every single poster here who doesn't have an avatar of their fave doing something tennis related isn't a real fan of that player's game.
No, but the ratio is obviously very much imbalanced among her fans.

Of course it is an experiment that can never happen but I would really like to see what her fan base would look like if she would have looks compared to Kuznetsova. Same personality & results, but without her looks. I'm not sure it would even be 1/3 as large as it is now

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #101
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

Quote:
No, but the ratio is obviously very much imbalanced among her fans.

Of course it is an experiment that can never happen but I would really like to see what her fan base would look like if she would have looks compared to Kuznetsova. Same personality & results, but without her looks. I'm not sure it would even be 1/3 as large as it is now
1) Come back to me with proof of that, please. Go on. Please devote some hours to looking at the avatar of every poster on TF. Can't wait to see what you come up with

2) yes, you can keep yourself up at night thinking about that mother of all "what-ifs" . And why are you insulting Kuznetsova like that?? She has looked HOT all year off-court . Don't know why you have to demean players' appearances like that

Quote:
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #102
country flag jacobruiz
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute jacobruiz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I got this

Absolutely slaying in this thread!

AT LONG LAST!!!! The DEMOCRATS BACK IN POWER!!!
OH, SAY DOES THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER YET WAVE........ YES!!! YES!!!! YEESSSS!!!!! Don't waver, Mr. President - the people voted for you AND your agenda!!
Missouri State Fair - yet another reason to ban rodeos
jacobruiz is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #103
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Quote:

2) yes, you can keep yourself up at night thinking about that mother of all "what-ifs" . And why are you insulting Kuznetsova like that?? She has looked HOT all year off-court . Don't know why you have to demean players' appearances like that
Nice try of trying to flip this on me.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #104
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
So the only reason why Maria has fans is because she's pretty? That's like saying the only reason Serena has fans is because she's black, or the only reason Vika has fans is because she's dating Redfoo. You do know players are inspirational to a generation right? If anything your opinion makes you sound a thousand times more shallow than Maria's 'superficial' fans. She's been on the tour for 10 years, she's won tournaments and slams, been world #1. It's not like she barely made an imprint on the world and just posed for magazines
I didn't say that. I asked questions. All I see are Sharapova fans like madmax, Nehellenia or whatever that Svetlio person is, Dominic, $uricate and so on and so on talking about how beautiful she is and how marketable she is. And I'm just questioning where is the talk about tennis?

All I've seen from you two also is along the lines of Maria has beauty and money. Nothing about tennis.

Sam L is offline View My Blog!  
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #105
country flag TrollPova
Don't Be A Hater, Dear

Quote:
Nice try of trying to flip this on me.
don't have to try too hard to do that with you, usually

Quote:
Closed Thread