Multi sports thread - Page 53 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #781
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi sports thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
del Potro does seem very close to being a regular threat to Nadal/Djokovic/Murray. He sort of fell off a bit after Indian Wells (where he defeated Murray and Djokovic and was up a set in the final over Nadal) but I'm hopeful that he can finish strong and get some good wins at the tour finals.
Yeah he does seem close I think he might will be winning another slam soon, I hoping Tsonga can get back in the mix as well

A.Radwańska | Halep | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #782
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

In the Super Series tournament Denmark Open, the badminton world has just had its equivalent of the Borg - McEnroe tiebreak at Wimbledon. In the mixed doubles QF, the Danish pair Fischer/Pedersen were facing South Koreans Ko/Kim and had split the first two sets. Normally a set goes to 21 points but in case of a 20-20 tie, the set continues until one of the pairs leads with two points. There's an upper limit, though. In case of a 29-29 tie, it switches to sudden death and that's what happened in the third set. After having been behind 15-20 and surviving 10 MPs on the way, the Danes were finally able to close out the match 30-29, which is something I've never seen before in a badminton match!
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #783
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
In the Super Series tournament Denmark Open, the badminton world has just had its equivalent of the Borg - McEnroe tiebreak at Wimbledon. In the mixed doubles QF, the Danish pair Fischer/Pedersen were facing South Koreans Ko/Kim and had split the first two sets. Normally a set goes to 21 points but in case of a 20-20 tie, the set continues until one of the pairs leads with two points. There's an upper limit, though. In case of a 29-29 tie, it switches to sudden death and that's what happened in the third set. After having been behind 15-20 and surviving 10 MPs on the way, the Danes were finally able to close out the match 30-29, which is something I've never seen before in a badminton match!
Don't really care for badminton, but you narrated the final in such a way that I can visualize how exciting this must have been. Also, you explained the significance so that even non-badminton fans could appreciate it. Thanks for sharing this

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #784

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Don't really care for badminton, but you narrated the final in such a way that I can visualize how exciting this must have been. Also, you explained the significance so that even non-badminton fans could appreciate it. Thanks for sharing this
You're welcome!
If you want to watch some of the end of the match, try this link.
http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_s...cle2125997.ece

Scroll down to the second 'screen' first, where you can watch the points from 15-20 to 20-20. In the top screen you can watch the points from 26-26 to finish.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #785
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
You're welcome!
If you want to watch some of the end of the match, try this link.
http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_s...cle2125997.ece

Scroll down to the second 'screen' first, where you can watch the points from 15-20 to 20-20. In the top screen you can watch the points from 26-26 to finish.
Well, I tried to watch it, but the video is blocked here. Apparently, they were afraid that too many Mexicans would copy the video and sell it on the black market. Gee, would we do such a thing?

In other news, caveman caricature Piojo has been named the coach for our country's assoc. football team. Despite his comical appearance, he's considered a superb coach, so perhaps we'll have better teamwork eventually

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
Old Nov 8th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #786

Nadal loses his first YEC set and his match against Berdych goes to the decider: 6-4, 1-6
For Nadal winning the first set is enough to win the group but if Berdych wins the match he'll finish 2nd on better set score than Wawrinka (who has lost 4 TBs this RR).

Nadal wins the decider 6-3. The set was on serve until 4-3 where Berdych practually handed Nadal the break with 2 DFs.
Wawrinka will almost certainly play Djokovic while Nadal plays the winner of Federer - Del Potro.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Nov 8th, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #787

Djokovic insists on doing things the hard way, going to the third set third match in a row.
And Nole wins yet again, extending his winning streak to 20.

Interesting SFs
Nadal - Federer: Nadal has won their last 3 matches (and 7 of the last 9) but Federer is 4-0 on indoors HC.
Djokovic - Wawrinka: Djokovic usually comes out on top but at both AO and USO this year they played gruelling 5-sets matches.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Nov 9th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #788
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Majors will always be king. It's when the whole world is watching so to speak.
Think about golf, the individual sport tennis is often compared too. Everything else is pretty much irrelevant, it's just all about the majors..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
But we're talking about number 1s here, aka the top players. These players are measured on majors. The top golfers are still measured on majors. As said, Tiger doesn't win a major, and the year is a disappointment regardless of the fact he got back to world number one.
First: - Tiger is special and one of a kind and could overtake Jack Nicklaus' record on number of majors. So of course that's the single thing that is of the most importance to him now and is of interest to see if he can do it. Tell me something new. Because that doesn't show that the only thing of any relevance to top golfers is the majors.

Second: Comparing tennis attitudes (WTA) to golf attitudes (LPGA) Before Laura Davies, Annika Sorenstam. Karrie Webb and Se Ri Pak came along in the late nineties - the top players were exclusively USA. Then when the players above were winning everything - there was talk as to who would be the next great US player after Nancy Lopez. Nancy Lopez was universally regarded as the best player in the world and an all-time great. But she only had 3 majors. Juli Inkster has 7 majors. Pat Bradley, Betsy King, Patty Sheahan have 6 majors. Yet Nancy Lopez is the name people know the most and Nancy is placed above the other US players with more majors because of all her titles and top of year end lists achievments.

By the way - do you even know what the majors are on the LPGA tour without looking them up when you spout things like Everything else is pretty much irrelevant, it's just all about the majors.

Thirdly: - The 3 best ever players in the LPGA. In pretty much everyone's list for greatest of all time in no particular order are the big three: Annika Sorenstam, Kathy Whitworth, Mickey Wright. The first three are discussed because they show the level of dominance on the tour.
  • Winner of Year End Money List
  • Winner of Rolex Year End POY list
  • Winner of VARE Year End average score list
And the group:
  • Majors
  • Career Wins
  • LPGA Wins
Arguments about who is the greatest are a bit more than the simplistic GM type 13 > 10 > 6 arguments.

Fourth: Numbers of majors won is going to become easier now that the LPGA has caved in to the lure of money and added Evian as the 5th major. It even got shortened to 54 holes because of the weather this year. Makes your claim about majors are everything in golf even more just plain wrong!

Fifth: Have you ever been registered on a golf message board and followed opinions there? Because there's nothing like the obsession with majors to the exclusion of everything else. I once remember a thread started by a tennis fan on the subject of why were majors were considered differently by the golf world to slams in the tennis world. And there was a good discussion. No-one crashed in with a statement that they were treated in the same way.

In summary - majors are considered very important in golf but not to the exclusion of everything else. This seems to be much closer to the personal views expressed on tennis by a number of posters here than the "nothing matters except slams" view prevalent in tennis.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Nov 10th, 2013 at 02:02 AM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #789
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
In summary - majors are considered very important in golf but not to the exclusion of everything else. This seems to be much closer to the personal views expressed on tennis by a number of posters here than the "nothing matters except slams" view prevalent in tennis.
I agree. No other sport, or the fans thereof are as obsessed with slams or the equivalent thereof as is the case in tennis. When they have someone ranked number one in golf who's never won a major they won't nag about it every time he or she appears on the screen like they do in tennis. In football the world championships and the champions league are by far the biggest events, but nobody will argue that therefore the national leagues are irrelevant. You only get those type of arguments in tennis, except perhaps in some of the Olympic sports that people just care about for a week or so every four years until it goes back to obscurity for another four years.

In the past I have several times made the argument that tennis would be better of with a two month season. People probably thought that I was just being cynical or sarcastic, but I was borderline serious. I mean, if anything other than a slam is irrelevant, why play? It's pointless to work your ass off for ten or eleven months per year if only two months of it matter.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #790
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I agree. No other sport, or the fans thereof are as obsessed with slams or the equivalent thereof as is the case in tennis. When they have someone ranked number one in golf who's never won a major they won't nag about it every time he or she appears on the screen like they do in tennis. In football the world championships and the champions league are by far the biggest events, but nobody will argue that therefore the national leagues are irrelevant. You only get those type of arguments in tennis, except perhaps in some of the Olympic sports that people just care about for a week or so every four years until it goes back to obscurity for another four years.

In the past I have several times made the argument that tennis would be better of with a two month season. People probably thought that I was just being cynical or sarcastic, but I was borderline serious. I mean, if anything other than a slam is irrelevant, why play? It's pointless to work your ass off for ten or eleven months per year if only two months of it matter.

Having said that - there's good and bad in both sports. I just couldn't believe it when the LPGA announced the Evian as the 5th major this year. The Evian has been pumping in prizemoney equal or even in excess of the (British) Open for the last few years now. And wanting to be a major in return. I mean that's like Beijing pumping in lots of money and in return being announced as the 5th slam officially.

Of course in tennis - the men and women play the slams at the same place in the same 2 weeks and it's run by the ITF so I think tennis is safe from that scenario. But if it they were women's only events run by the WTA - it now makes me wonder. I wouldn't trust the WTA and Stacey Allaster to resist the lure of big money.

There were a lot of golf fans who didn't like that. I cannot imagine what would happen to these message boards in such a scenario.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #791
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Having said that - there's good and bad in both sports. I just couldn't believe it when the LPGA announced the Evian as the 5th major this year. The Evian has been pumping in prizemoney equal or even in excess of the (British) Open for the last few years now. And wanting to be a major in return. I mean that's like Beijing pumping in lots of money and in return being announced as the 5th slam officially.

Of course in tennis - the men and women play the slams at the same place in the same 2 weeks and it's run by the ITF so I think tennis is safe from that scenario. But if it they were women's only events run by the WTA - it now makes me wonder. I wouldn't trust the WTA and Stacey Allaster to resist the lure of big money.

There were a lot of golf fans who didn't like that. I cannot imagine what would happen to these message boards in such a scenario.
Yes, I agree. I am totally opposed to artificially creating a fifth slam in tennis. Having said that, at the time when the big four were created tennis was not quite yet the global sport that it is today. So even if you take the money argument out of the equation I can totally understand that if the sport continues to grow over there people in Asia and South America will at some point start asking, "well, how about us?" That's why it could perhaps be a good idea to give them the YEC on a permanent basis. We can't give them a major, but we could give them the next big thing. Also, make the Davis Cup and Fed Cup a two week event and give it to China where they are uber-patriotic and would really get into it in a big way. I know that there are pro's and con's to this, but it's at the very least worth considering and wouldn't make it necessary to totally change traditions like creating a new (fake) slam would.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #792
country flag bruce goose

Wow! Reasoned, critical thinking at TF?? Is this for real, or have I stumbled into a Twilight Zone episode?

To reply to both Terjw and Gaston: Certain other sports sometimes focus on a team's /player's lack of titles IF he/she/they are seen as having choked under pressure. If the individual is thought to have done his/her best, then the criticism is far,far lesser. E.g., no one accused the late boxer Ken Norton of being a loser just because he LOST to Muhammad Ali in a big fight. Not only was Ali more talented, but everyone saw how valiantly Norton fought and pushed Ali to the limit. Some fans even think that Norton should've gotten the judges' decision. In team sports,one of the NFL's elite tight ends,Tony Gonzalez, again failed to get a Super Bowl ring last year when his team lost in their conference championship(NFL semis, basically).However, Tony himself played quite well in that game so he's not seen as culpable for his team's loss. In contrast, ex-NBA'er Karl Malone twice had subpar stats when he reached the NBA finals, so he'll never get quite the same level of respect as do other ex-greats.

As for the WTA's obsession with Slams, I might be wrong but I don't get the sense that the ATP is QUITE as bad because, even at Premier,non-Slam events, you have to beat Djokovic,Rafa,Fed,Murray--or two or three of them--to get a title, thus proving your worthiness as a player. Right now, Serena is the only female player who matches those men in terms of all-time greatness(Masha is a lesser version of her old self)...and she skips her share of tourneys, thus opening the door for several, lesser players. As for the deliberate approach, what else would you expect from a phony, shallow gringa like Allaster?? With her American mentality, a mindless POS Hollywood action film with a laughable plotline is automatically better than a superb arthouse film merely because the former raked in millions of dollars. Money,Glitz and Glamour are like gods to her, so don't expect anything to change there unless she gets replaced as commissioner(dare to dream)

My last point is more of a suggestion: Why not let the fans and players have some input to decide if a newer premier deserved Slam status?If THEY thought that the event was as important as one of the traditional Slams, wouldn't that have a lot more credibility than some low-life commissioner who was sucking ---k to placate some wealthy sponsor??I haven't given this issue a thorough go-over, but at least the idea is worth considering, don't you think?

Old Nov 10th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #793
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

By the way - do you even know what the majors are on the LPGA tour without looking them up when you spout things like [i][b]Everything else is pretty much irrelevant, it's just all about the majors.

When I was comparing tennis to golf I was comparing it to men's golf. I can't comment on women's golf, I don't know anything about it, hence why I haven't commented on anything related to it.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #794

Yes, of course the YEC final - the last match of the year - has to be between Nadal and Djokovic. The two of them and Murray have won all the grand slams and Masters 1000s of the year, and since Murray is currently out with a back injury...
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #795

Nole's SF Hot Shot is possibly the best defense shot in the history of tennis!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BZhutPXnvM