1983 - Page 20 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #286
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: 1983

THOSE TOUR TANTRUMS HAVE THEIR PRICE
Philadelphia Daily News
Thursday, August 25, 1983
BILL FLEISCHMAN, Daily News Sports Writer

Name the biggest shocks in sports ... Susan Fletcher admitting she misses Jim Murray in the Eagles' office? ... George Steinbrenner saying a kind word about Lee MacPhail? ... Howard Cosell at a loss for words?

None of the above. How about a tennis player complimenting the officials who worked his match? Hold onto your rackets, fans, but it happened at least once this summer.

Jimmy Gurfein, a 22-year-old New Yorker, had just upset Henri Leconte to reach the quarterfinals of a Grand Prix tournament in North Conway, N.H., when the post-match discussion turned to a critical call. Gurfein, another product of the Stanford University tennis factory, said, "The officials were excellent. When the pressure's up, it's reassuring to know there are real pros out there that don't get excited. When I see them, I will tell them I appreciate it."

Arrggh! Imagine John McEnroe's reaction if he had heard those comments, especially from another former Stanford player. What's Gurfein trying to do, restore sportsmanship to a sport that considers anything milder than a motorcycle gang beach party as acceptable behavior?

Brace yourself - there's more. Remember at Wimbledon this year when Tim Mayotte, the pride of Springfield, Mass., applauded Kevin Curren's play after Curren had won their quarterfinal match? Doesn't Mayotte know that Americans have seized the market on bad manners in tennis?

These two incidents might be small islands in a sea of tempers, but some people really believe that the Age of Anger may be passing. One of these people is Ken Farrar, a Grand Prix supervisor of officials working under the Men's International Professional Tennis Council (MIPTC).

"We feel the conduct of the players is a lot better," said Farrar, a personable 49-year-old native of Newton, Mass. "Many of the older players didn't grow up under the code of conduct. Now, the 18- and 19-year-olds have come up with it and their conduct is much better."

"The code of conduct has helped me a lot," said Jimmy Arias, the 19-year-old U.S. Clay Court and Italian Open champion. "In juniors I had the worst temper you've ever seen. Once I got into the pros, I didn't feel like getting fined all the time so I slowly stopped doing it. I found it helped my game when I didn't blow up all the time."

"I'm only now starting to figure out some of the things that have happened to me in the past few years," John McEnroe told Tennis Magazine. "For instance, I realize that when you're winning, you develop a subconscious tendency to believe that you can get away with anything. It comes from the constant worship and the great treatment you get."

The code of conduct, which is enforced by Grand Prix supervisors like Farrar, includes fines and a point penalty system that is designed to restrict outbursts by players during matches. The first offense carries a warning. The next is punished by loss of the point. If the player persists in misbehaving and incurs a third penalty, he loses the game. For a fourth infraction, the player defaults the match.

In this age of staggering prize money in tennis, the fines also can jolt a player's wallet. An audible or visible obscenity, for example, costs $5,000, the same price as verbal abuse of an opponent, official or spectator. Fines also escalate to the point of suspension, which means an alert player will carry a calculator in his equipment bag to remind him when his total is approaching the suspension level.

During last year's U.S. Open , Vitas Gerulaitis was avoiding the press because he was upset about stories alleging his involvement in a drug case. Gerulaitis wanted to skip a mandatory post-match press conference, but changed his mind when he remembered that if he missed one more meeting with his friends in the media, his fine total would surpass the limit and he would be suspended.

"A lot of the players," Farrar said, "have it in the backs of their minds that they'll get penalized. They'd love to smash a racket, but they hold up. A suspension can be for as much as 42 days, which means they'd miss a lot of tournaments."

Miss a lot of tournaments and you miss earning a lot of money, unless you can schedule a couple of lucrative exhibitions. Money, of course, is blamed for the boorish behavior of many players. They grew up when there were few penalties for their antics and developed habits that would get them bounced out of even a rowdy neighborhood saloon. Tournament officials either weren't powerful enough to default top players or didn't dare try it and risk an attendance disaster.

Improved behavior is concomitant with the code of conduct and better quality officiating. Tennis always operated under the peculiar structure of having professionals playing for thousands of dollars while amateurs, attracted by their affection for the game and the opportunity to work major tournaments and a brief fling at power, officiated the matches. Now, that inane system is filed away with white tennis balls.

Ken Farrar proudly points out that a supervisor is present at every Grand Prix tournament and there are more certified officials than ever before.

"We have schools in the United States, Europe and Australia," said Farrar, a former college hockey referee who didn't play tennis until he was 35. "The MIPTC badge is a mark of distinction. When a player sees an official wearing an MIPTC badge, he knows a trained official is working the match.

"Professional tennis is only about 10 years old so we don't have many full-time officials. Most tournaments only pay officials about $500 plus room and board. But with the money involved, professional officiating has to come."

Once an official earns the MIPTC badge, he or she isn't enshrined for life. "We have 190 certified officials," Farrar said, "but last year we decertified 39. Every official is rated by me and the records are kept in New York. If we start seeing a pattern of bad matches, we wonder why and check it out.

"Some officials reach a level of proficiency and are great in the first couple rounds, but then, maybe the pressure gets to them and they can't handle difficult matches."

Among the charges made in the controversial tennis book "Short Circuit" is collusion between tournament directors, officials and players. Author Michael Mewshaw wrote that directors are hiring umpires who won't default top players. He also wrote that top players were requesting, and getting, certain umpires to work their matches. All this, Farrar says, is nonsense.

"A tournament director may hire the officials," Farrar said, "but they are all assigned by supervisors."

Marilyn Fernberger, who, with husband Ed, has promoted the U.S. Pro Indoor Championships into one of the world's major tournaments, says the next step is player training schools.

"It may take three to five years," Mrs. Fernberger said, "but no longer will someone say to a promoter, 'I'm declaring myself a professional at your tournament.' Players will have to learn the rules before they can become professionals."

Another step in making professional tennis more respectable and efficient in the public's eyes may be naming a commissioner in the Pete Rozelle style. Since tennis is a worldwide sport, a jurisdiction not even Rozelle and the NFL can claim yet, perhaps one commissioner wouldn't work. But many people in tennis think naming a superman who can serve as commissioner would be a good idea. Of course, finding such a person is as difficult as curing baldness.

The closest position to a commissioner in tennis is M. Marshall Happer 3rd, administrator of the Pro Council. Happer is a Southern lawyer, from Raleigh, N.C., who gets good grades for his work as administrator. Perhaps the biggest criticism of Happer is that he acts too slowly, but trying to cover the world isn't easy.

Ken Farrar, for one, favors having a commissioner.

"The sports is so global that if we had one guy, we'd be better off," the supervisor said. "Whether it's a Pete Rozelle or a Deane Beman in golf, other sports have flourished under the leadership of one competent guy. Right now, tennis has so many factions."

Those factions are the major problem. As Mike Davies, executive director of the Association of Tennis Professionals, said, sounding like a philosophy professor, "You can only be governed if you want to be governed. WCT (World Championship Tennis, the second pro circuit) isn't interested in Marshall Happer running its business. South Africa isn't interested." (South Africa staged a $1 million exhibition this summer with the winner receiving $400,000.)

However, there are signs that the tanned, stylishly dressed movers in tennis are realizing that for the sport to continue successfully, more control is necessary.

"This is a very exciting time in tennis," said Marilyn Fernberger. "There are a lot of changes. We've reached another level in developing the professional game. We started out of chaos and out of chaos came the MIPTC."

The MIPTC isn't perfect - Mike Davies says it is the "most criticized and maligned body in tennis" - but it has brought the first steps of order to a sport that could self-destruct faster than you could say whatever happened to Russia's Alex Metreveli?
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #287

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

NICE GUYS WHO DON'T FINISH LAST
Philadelphia Daily News
Friday, August 26, 1983
BILL FLEISCHMAN, Daily News Sports Writer

The pro tennis tour is not an endless parade of misanthropes. It just seems that way. Two players capable of lightening the mood on any center court are Jimmy Arias and Mel Purcell. They win without whining.

The sports fan who only watches tennis as an event - over tea and muffins during Breakfast at Wimbledon, during the U.S. Open, or during a cable button-pushing fit when nothing else is on - no doubt thinks most tennis players act like John McEnroe or that relic from the Middle Ages, Ilie Nastase.

Mention McEnroe at a party and people who don't know a forehand from a forehead will do five minutes on what an embarrassment the three-time U.S. Open champion is to American sports. Mention McEnroe to any promoter from New York to New South Wales and he'll do five minutes on "Wish He Were Here."

Is McEnroe, a perfectionist who is maturing slowly, the prototype contemporary tennis player? No way, Jose, as they say on the Latin-dominated summer clay court circuit. What McEnroe is, is one of the few big draws in men's tennis. With Bjorn Borg either retired or limiting his tournament activity to a mixed doubles championship, Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl are the only other superstar attractions.

When McEnroe plays in the U.S. Open , which begins Tuesday, perhaps half the people who fill Louis Armstrong Stadium will be interested in his tennis. The other half will be waiting for one of Mac's familiar tantrums or rules seminars with an umpire. McEnroe is the king the public loves to hate. If the 1983 Wimbledon champion doesn't protest some line calls, argue with an umpire or threaten to torch a nearby village, the crowd will shuffle off to their expensive cars or the nearby F train disappointed. McEnroe and, to a similar extent, Connors, are entertainers who are victims of their own theaters of the absurd.

To discover that all tennis players don't behave the way McEnroe does, sometimes you have to saddle up and ride to the mountains of New Hampshire or the plains of Indianapolis and Ohio. During five days at the Grand Prix tournament in North Conway, N.H., for instance, the only protests I saw were by Jose Higueras, the tourney's No. 1 seed. Higueras, a Spaniard whose father- in-law is the mayor of Palm Springs, Calif., argued his position but never to the extent where he insulted the officials. It's not hard to argue that Europeans and South Americans generally are better behaved than Americans on tennis courts.

Another vivid memory from North Conway is the behavior of Jimmy Arias as he lost a semifinal match to Andres "Lefty" Gomez, the pride of Ecuador. The 19-year-old Arias, from that capital of tennis, Grand Island, N.Y., near Buffalo, is one of America's young hopes. His Italian Open and U.S. Clay Court victories and his No. 10 world ranking are indications that Arias may soon be one of the big attractions in tennis.

Arias was the No. 4 seed at North Conway and Gomez, a tall, reserved individual who also is an outstanding surfer, was No. 9. But during their semifinal, the favored Arias struggled and eventually lost. Trying to motivate himself, the disgusted Arias walked around carrying his racket in his mouth, he muscled in on the ball boys and threw the ball the length of the court (not a bad throwing arm) and sat in a linesman's chair during a changeover. The point? The 5-9, 145-pound Arias has fan appeal and a sense that professional tennis is not neurosurgery.

Arias, like Mel Purcell, Tim Mayotte, Steve Denton, Chip Hooper, Rodney Harmon, Mike DePalmer, Scott Davis, Mike Leach, Mike Bauer and Lloyd Bourne are young Americans with potential to be top players. However, most won't make it. Why? Because what separates top 10 players from top 30 players is concentration, the ability to play every point as if it were the last.

"That's what I learned at Wimbledon this year," said Purcell, a popular, 24-year-old down-home Kentuckian. "You can't play any loose points. It was scary there - I was playing well enough to reach the finals."

Purcell's Wimbledon thrust ended in the quarterfinals when he lost to New Zealand's Chris Lewis, an eventual finalist.

"There isn't much difference in ability among the thp players," Arias said. "It's whoever has the most confidence and the most concentration who wins."

The players who succeed are also the ones who can play with an injury. The sports fan who only tunes in tennis at the major tournaments regards the players as delicate and pampered whiners. Many are, but then there are people like Arias, who has played all summer with a throbbing arm and torn stomach muscle tissue. If Arias were a baseball pitcher, he'd be on the disabled list. The pain forced Arias to hit his serve with drastically reduced power.

"I want to talk to his coach, Nick Bolletieri," said Bill Norris, the Association of Tennis Professionals trainer. "He's not putting any body behind his serves, so it's natural he'd get strain."

Unlike Guillermo Vilas, who has his coach, Ian Tiriac, travel with him to tournaments, Arias doesn't insist that Bolletieri accompany him to every tennis stop. Bolletieri is too busy with his thriving tennis school to make all the trips anyway, but Arias says, "I like thinking out my matches on my own. It's much easier for me."

Tennis schools like Bolletieri's in Florida polish the skills of young players like Arias to the point where they are ready for the tour in their teens. Even with countless lectures, what tennis prep schools can't prepare youngsters for is life on the tour . . . the week-to-week travel and pressure . . . the continual you-against-the-world atmosphere. Some, like Arias and John McEnroe, are tougher than others and succeed quickly. Others with similar ability spend their careers several lines lower on the computer rankings.

Jimmy Gurfein, No. 106 on the computer but maybe someday No. 1 in your hearts, is an example of a player at the crossroads. One leads to Flushing Meadow and the U.S. Open , the other leads to satellite tournaments in Sioux City and Pawling, N.Y. Nothing against Sioux City and Pawling, but Gurfein and every other player prefers the major leagues.

Gurfein, who lives in Forest Hills, N.Y., played No. 3 at Stanford, behind Tim Mayotte and Scott Davis. Pretty talented company . . . the trouble is, the top 200 or 300 players in the world are in the same company.

"I don't anticipate a lot any more in matches," Gurfein said. "I've been playing this game a long time (he's 22) . I used to wonder how I'll play this guy or that guy. But I've changed my attitude.

"After 2 1/2 years as a pro, I was steadily going downhill. So I got a little more introspective . . . I have a more relaxed attitude now. I want to enjoy myself."

Mel Purcell has carried a similar attitude ever since he came out of college. "Fun-loving" is the most common description of Purcell. Maybe he learned to relax from his father, Bennie, who was an outstanding basketball player at Murray State and later toured with the Harlem Globetrotters' nightly pushovers, the Washington Generals. Sometimes during matches Purcell, wearing a head band to contain his stringy blonde hair, resembles a pinball the way he ricochets around the court.

Off the court, he is friendly and always willing to stick a gentle needle in his colleagues' substantial egos. For example, Purcell was looking forward to the annual softball game during the Volvo International at North Conway, N.H. But he passed on playing in the soccer game.

"Most of the Americans enjoy the softball game," he said. "The South Americans aren't really going to know what's going on. That's why I'm not going to play in the soccer game. Those guys will think it's the World Cup and they'll come sliding in and I'll break my leg."

For several years Purcell has been consistently near the No. 30 ranking, which means he makes a nice living. Last year he earned $160,000 in Grand Prix tournaments. Purcell is, however, anxious to take a run at the top 10.

"I was satisfied to be in the top 30 for three years," he said. "You make good money, but then your pride takes over. It's all a mental game. If you're mentally fit off the court, you'll be tough on the court.

"There are no short cuts to the top, but I've been trying to find them anyway. I've been driving like a bulldozer down Short Cut Avenue. I don't want to cheat myself. I don't want to look back in six or seven years and think I didn't give it my best shot, but I want to have fun, too."

Resisting the fun opportunities in a glamorous worldwide sport such as tennis is difficult. There aren't too many shacks for hotels or dilapidated, drafty arenas on the Grand Prix tour. But sometimes the life is too good. The players who can combine work with play are those who succeed.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #288

Unfortunately for McEnroe, Connors, Gerulaitis, and the other bad boys of tennis, the days of being able to play a 40-stop exhibition tour and play a full schedule of "real" tournaments are almost over. Also, Vince McMahon was taking professional wrestling to a level against which the "heels" and "faces" of pro tennis couldn't compete, even in a controlled setting like an exhibition tour.

MCENROE TRIES TO BUILD NEW IMAGE WITH THE FANS
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, August 30, 1983
ISH HALEY, Special to the Dallas Times Herald

John McEnroe's "Tennis Over America" tour has been designed not only to make money, but also to demonstrate a change in the featured attraction's personality. McEnroe hopes to show he is no long the delinquent who has been accused of pillaging the shrines of his sport worldwide and of verbally terrorizing the constabulary working those sites.

McEnroe, 24, admits he is concerned that he might be remembered more for his conduct than his tennis, which in 1981 and again in the major events this year has been the best in the world. And he is willing to confess there were occasions when he was wrong or that he went too far in voicing complaints.

McEnroe was nearly disqualified before he won his first Wimbledon two years ago, and the major topic after he finally ended Bjorn Borg's streak was not his championship but the speculation about fines, suspension and whether he would receive the traditional honorary membership to the All England Club.

"When I played at Wimbledon the first time, I was 18, didn't know better, had never been to England or played in a tournament like that," McEnroe said. "When you play the juniors, which I was doing a month or two before, you fight for everything. It's you and the other guy out there, and the guy accuses you of cheating, you're questioning line calls and the parents are screaming. The whole scene is crazy.

"All of a sudden, you're out there with an umpire and lines people. I thought if these people made a mistake, I'm going to say something. I'm 18, and these guys freaked out. Unfortunately, Wimbledon, which was celebrating its 100th year of competition, wasn't the place to start.

"Obviously, I've learned the hard way that they blow things up so incredibly there. They made me look like the worst guy, and I'm a kid, 18 years old. I've really paid the price. From that time my life has changed just because of that and because I'm one of the top players."

McEnroe has asked that what he describes as a "gradual change the last year or two" in his demeanor be recognized. Returning to his most difficult venue two months ago, he finally was accorded full honors at Wimbledon after dissecting unseeded Chris Lewis in an 85-minute final, 6-2, 6-2, 6-2.

"I think people are looking at me differently than they were," McEnroe said. "They are looking at me more as a tennis player who has won a lot of tournaments, a lot of major events. That's obviously the way I would like it. I don't want to be Ilie Nastase Jr."

The LSU Assembly Center in Baton Rouge is not Roland Garros or Centre Court or Louis B. Armstrong Stadium, and the performance McEnroe gives during his 6-3, 7-6 victory over Guillermo Vilas probably is much different than the audience of 5,500 has anticipated.

In the darkened arena, Vilas is introduced by the Rolling Stones recording of "Start Me Up." Then the music system switches to "The Boy from New York City." Fog gushes from the players' entrance. Flash pods ignite. But instead of a Star Wars villain, McEnroe becomes distinguishable in the artificial mist to the tune of "Eye of the Tiger," from Rocky III.

Applause. Applause.

McEnroe, in the first set, comically questions a service-line call, covering his eyes with one hand and using the other to transform his racquet into a blindman's cane. On breakpoint in the second set, Vilas serves a questionable doublefault, but the umpire affirms the call. After a brief discussion, McEnroe aprroaches the chair, and the umpire quickly announces the point will be replayed at the direction of the referee, who is McEnroe because this is his tour. Steve Corey, of Dallas-based Incorsel Management, estimates the 40 one-nighters should earn McEnroe around $3 million.

McEnroe won Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and led the United States to a Davis Cup victory in 1981, but his first full year at No. 1, according to the Association of Tennis Professionals' computer, was spoiled by Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon and by Ivan Lendl in the World Championship Tennis Dallas final and the U.S. Open. McEnroe still finished the year by winning four consecutive singles titles and 24 straight matches, but he was remembered only for beating French Open champion Mats Wilander in their six hour, 39-minute Davis Cup match.

"I always dreamed of being No. 1, but I never dreamed about what would happen if and when I became No. 1," said McEnroe, who was beaten by Wilander, 6-4, 6-3, Aug. 21 in the final of the ATP Championship. "It was such a far away dream -- something you never actually believe is going to happen. When it did, it caught me by surprise. I had such a long year in 1981. At the Masters, I just didn't really feel I had the intensity I needed, and when I started feeling better about March, I hurt my ankle. It took me a lot longer to get over that than I thought it would."

Lendl defeated McEnroe, 6-4, 6-2, in the Masters, blasted the limping defending champion, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, in Dallas and prevailed again in the U.S. Open semifinals, increasing his streak over the American to seven tournaments in a row.

"It's very tough, obviously, to get to No. 1, but it's probably tougher to remain there than it is to get there," McEnroe said. "People want to beat you more. Other players want to beat the No. 1 player more than they want to beat No. 3. They'd love to beat No. 3, No. 4 or No. 2, but it is a better thing to beat the top guy, so everyone is ready to play all the time."

McEnroe dismissed the theory that he might have accepted his ranking and grown complacent with it, attempting to coast on talent and tennis reputation instead of continuing with the training methods that had gotten him to the top of the computer printout.

"The only reason you might see that .... The No. 1 fear of an athlete," he said, beginning again, "is injury. What was frustrating to me was the fact that I wasn't able to work as hard because I wasn't 100 per cent healthy. It's hard to get motivated when you're not feeling right. For months I knew I could be moving better on the court. That's the frustrating thing. It wasn't that I didn't want to. I just couldn't. The ankle was the first major injury I had ever had, and I didn't know what to do."

In addition to tournaments, Davis Cup and exhibitions, McEnroe was inundated by the supplemental demands that only Borg, Connors, Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert Lloyd can appreciate. These auxiliary demands, McEnroe said, drove Borg into at least a temporary retirement.

"I had been No. 2 for a couple of years, so I figured it would be basically the same thing," McEnroe said. "But all of a sudden there seemed like there were a lot more demands and suddenly I was being asked about tennis politics. I never had been asked about that much before.

"I intend to talk about it, and I'll talk about it more in the future," continued McEnroe, who sounded like he was reciting the preamble to a campaign speech. "I don't like the type of people who are trying to take over the game now. I think the players should be the ones -- I think the players care enough. I know I do, and I hope others do, to send it off in the right direction for future players. I don't like some of the things that have been happening the last couple of years, and you just get to see it more at No. 1, or at least you're more aware of it."
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #289

While we're on the tennis players behaving badly theme...

JAEGER DENIES PUTTING A FIST ON HER OPPONENT
The Miami Herald
Friday, August 12, 1983
DICK HELLER

So why did Andrea Jaeger, the world's third-ranked women's tennis player, allegedly beat up on opponent Renee Blount after a doubles match Wednesday in a tournament at Manhattan Beach, Calif.?

Blount's partner, Camille Benjamin, says she heard Jaeger mutter, "There's something about her I don't like," during the match. But the real reason, we suppose, could involve the continual pressures and tensions that appear when one is 18, relatively rich and famous.

The problem between the two began on court after the second set. "Andrea was acting kind of crazy," Benjamin said. "She kept trying to hit Renee with the ball."

The morning after, Jaeger denied that she subsequently had hit Blount, pushed her and slammed her up against a locker-room wall, as Benjamin had claimed.

"I didn't punch her or push her," Jaeger said. "I said, 'Why don't we talk this over in the bathroom?' I nudged her trying to push her in. She went against the door, and she slipped and fell."

Blount, of course, described the circumstances differently.

"I waited outside the locker room for 10 minutes after she went in," Blount said. "When I did, she started shoving and pushing me. I ended up falling to the ground. No words were exchanged. I think it was very unprofessional."

The immediate question at hand is whether the Women's Tennis Association will discipline Jaeger. "It happened off court, and that makes a hell of a difference," President Jerry Diamond said. The WTA will review the incident and make a ruling before next month's U.S. Open.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #290

Good thing for Navratilova that the incident happened in Virginia and not in Texas.

CLERC CONTINUES HOT STREAK
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, August 2, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

Jose-Luis Clerc, the hottest player on the tour, overpowered Andres Gomez, 6-3, 6-1, Monday to win the $255,000 Volvo International Tennis Tournament at North Conway, N.H., his third straight championship on clay.

The $34,000 first prize gives Clerc $102,000 earned in three weeks after winning the same amounts at Boston and Washington the previous two weeks. He has won $164,000 this year.

Gomez earned $17,000.

Clerc, seeded third, lost only three of 23 points on serve in the 33-minute first set. Gomez lost just six points on serve, but four of them came in the eighth game when Clerc scored the key break off deuce.

Clerc, after an early spring slump, now has won 15 straight matches. He did not lose a set in this tournament.

Competing for the top players, the director of the Volvo tournament in tiny North Conway wants to double the prize money dramatically to make his event the richest on the Grand Prix tour.

Jim Westhall is talking about a $500,000 tournament with a first prize of $100,000 "as early as next year."

"If you're going to do something dramatic, do it first," he said during a weekend interview.

"I know it's a little incongruous to see a little town like this part of something so big, but I don't think we have a choice. Either we get bigger, or we disappear. It's the American way of doing things."

Westhall's reason is to attract the best players. That means John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl.

McEnroe never has played in the Volvo International Tournament at North Conway; Connors played in the tournament for several years before passing the last two years to play more lucrative exhibitions. Lendl played at Volvo the past two years, but did not enter this year.

Bjorn Borg never played at Volvo.

The tournament has attracted top 10 players such as Guillermo Vilas, Jose-Luis Clerc and Jose Higueras, but never has been able to promote a possible matchup of two of the top three players.

Martina Navratilova , the world's top-ranked female tennis player and reigning Wimbledon champion, was fined $20 Monday for speeding and cursing at a city police officer last January.

Navratilova, 26, who lives in Virginia Beach, did not appear in Norfolk General District Court to answer the misdemeanor charges. Her lawyer said she was in Indianapolis, where the U.S. Open Clay Court Championship is being held this week.

The attorney, Andrew Mitchell of Norfolk, entered a guilty plea to speeding but pleaded innocent to the charge of using abusive language.

Officer S.G. Delepine had reported that Navratilova was clocked at 54 miles per hour in a 35 m.p.h. zone on Hampton Boulevard Jan. 29. He said the tennis star cursed at him after she was stopped.

"She behaved disorderly and demanded to see the radar gun," Delepine told Judge Lawrence Lawless. Delepine said Navratilova did not calm down until he threatened to send her to jail.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #291

If McEnroe had played in the age of social media, he would be totally pwned by trolls. Not to mention that asking to meet a police officer "outside" would likely end very badly.

MCENROE AVOIDS LOSS BUT CAN'T DODGE FINES
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Wednesday, August 31, 1983
Steve Goldstein, Inquirer Staff Writer

Unheralded Trey Waltke, who created a stir by wearing long trousers at Wimbledon this year, yesterday scared the pants off top-seeded John McEnroe in a first-round match at the U.S. Open Tennis Championships.

McEnroe rallied from a deficit of two sets to one to win, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-0, 6-1, at the National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadow, but the cost of his victory was dear. A verbal altercation with two courtside fans and words with the chair umpire resulted in fines totaling $1,850.

Levied by the Grand Prix supervisor's office, the fines brought McEnroe's total for the last 12 months to $7,300, only $200 less than the amount that results in a player's being automatically suspended for 21 days, pending appeal.

If McEnroe were to go over the limit here, it would not affect his Open participation, but it would jeopardize his eligibility for the United States- Ireland Davis Cup match Sept. 30 through Oct. 2.

The tempestuous three-time winner of this event was fined $1,000 for abusing the two spectators after uttering obscenties and throwing sawdust at one. He also was docked $500 for verbal abuse of umpire Stu Saphire and $350 for whacking a ball into the stands, narrowly missing comedian Alan King's trademark plantation hat.

Apart from McEnroe's narrow escape against Waltke, the first day of the $2 million tournament produced mainly predictable results.

Even the ouster of eighth-seeded Jose-Luis Clerc of Argentina by Tim Wilkison of Asheville, N.C., who is ranked 73d in the world, was not startling, given Clerc's poor record on cement. Wilkison's straight-set victory added to Clerc's mounting woes in major championships. The Argentine lost in the second round of this year's French Open and in the first round at Wimbledon.

In an evening match, third-seeded Jimmy Connors defeated Ramesh Krishnan, 6-2, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2.

Vitas Gerulaitis, a former finalist and the tournament's 15th seed, saved three match points in the fourth set before beating Brazil's Marcos Hocevar.

"If I can just get past the first couple of rounds, I can do some damage in this tournament," Gerulaitis said.

His next opponent is Fritz Buehning of Short Hills, N.J., who upset him in the first round at last year's Open. Buehning advanced with a victory over Chip Hooper, who retired with muscle cramps in the fifth set.

Seeded women Andrea Jaeger (No. 3), Hana Mandlikova (No. 8) and Kathy Jordan (No. 16) advanced, but 15th-seeded Virginia Ruzici fell to Catherine Tanvier of France.

Fourth-seeded Tracy Austin, continuing an unhappy pattern, withdrew because of injury. The malady-plagued Austin, a two-time Open champion, also announced her withdrawal from three other events before November in order to give herself time to recover from a stress fracture of a rib.

McEnroe's next opponent will be the winner of tonight's Stan Smith-John Sadri encounter, and the world's No. 1 player will have to substantially raise his level of play to continue his quest for a Wimbledon- U.S. Open double this year.

Apart from being one of Chris Evert Lloyd's former boyfriends, Waltke's main claim to fame is that he is the only player to have beaten McEnroe in the first round of two Grand Prix events, most recently in April in Las Vegas, Nev.

Though ranked 130th in the world, Waltke gives McEnroe fits, he said, ''because I've watched him so much on television that I know his game well. He doesn't do anything unexpected."

Still, McEnroe was cruising, leading by 6-3, 4-1, when he seemingly lost his concentration, stopped moving and committed a rash of unforced errors.

"Movement is a big part of my game, and if I'm sluggish, everything kind of falls apart," he said later.

A sloppy service game at 5-6 cost McEnroe the second set, and the increasingly antagonistic crowd in the stadium was applauding his errors and cheering loudly for Waltke.

At 2-2 in the third set, McEnroe got into an exchange with two men seated at courtside, and Saphire gave him a conduct warning for delaying play. The dialogue continued over the course of the next few points, and at one point, McEnroe reached into his pocket and threw sawdust at one of the men, identified as Chris Schneider, a social-studies teacher on Long Island.

Schneider and his companion, Tom DeLuca, a police officer, said that they had been rooting for Waltke and that McEnroe said to them, "Haven't you got anything better to do than hope that I miss the ball?"

DeLuca said that he had replied, "C'mon, John, concentrate," to which McEnroe allegedly responded with an obscenity and, "Mind your own business." Further obscenities followed from McEnroe, and Schneider told him, "You have quite a mouth." That, according to Schneider, brought forth the sawdust, which McEnroe normally uses to improve his grip on the racket.

McEnroe then allegedly said, "Do me a favor and meet me outside. I'd like to beat the ---- out of you."

Said Schneider, "I'd like to."

A security guard went down to the seats to restore order as spectators around the stadiums strained to see the spectacle.

Several games later, McEnroe said to Schneider and DeLuca, "Let's call a truce."

Said Schneider, "You got it."

Schneider later admitted that this was the second year in a row he had had words with McEnroe at the Open.

"It wasn't as bad as this," Schneider said of last year, when he was sitting in the same seat.

McEnroe said that he hadn't remembered Schneider.

"The guy was egging me on," McEnroe added. "He clapped when I double-faulted and missed shots. It was wrong of me to say bad things, though.

"A guy like that comes out to bother me, he's a really classy individual," McEnroe said sarcastically. "That doesn't make me a classy individual for saying those things. I just snapped a little bit."

The episode certainly didn't help McEnroe's play. The New Yorker wandered aimlessly through the third set. But Waltke, who is not accustomed to five-set matches and who has only gone beyond the first round in two of nine tournaments this year, ran out of gas.

"I caved in, physically and everything else," Waltke said. "I sort of lost my spring in the fourth set. I think John sensed that."

McEnroe then rolled over Waltke, hesitating only to incur a point penalty for saying something to Saphire in the fourth set. Still, he did not play well overall.

"I think John takes a while to get into a tournament, like a lot of the top guys," Waltke said. "He plays his best tennis toward the end of the tournament."

McEnroe will have to improve his tennis and his behavior for the remainder of the tournament, because officials of the U.S. Tennis Association said that they intend to enforce the rules of conduct strictly and impartially - particularly the rule that allows only 30 seconds between points.

McEnroe had no explanation for his outburst, other than to say that he felt a lot of pressure.

"If I win here, I can lock up the No. 1 ranking for the year, so I feel the pressure," he said. "Once you get there (to No. 1), there's nowhere to go but down. It's a weird feeling."
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #292

SCANLON FINDS MIDAS TOUCH, TIPS MCENROE
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, September 6, 1983
JIM MARTZ

Last February in Delray Beach, Bill Scanlon won a golden set against Marcos Hocevar. That means he won every point in the set, a feat that historians said had never happened in modern tennis.

Monday, the relatively unheralded Scanlon didn't produce a golden set, per se, but he won a match he can etch in gold. The No. 16 seed ousted top-seeded John McEnroe , 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 6-3, in the fourth round of the U.S. Open.

As McEnroe became frustrated with line calls, crowd noise, planes, Scanlon 's superb play and his own erratic play, Scanlon stayed cool and kept applying pressure. The loss was McEnroe 's earliest in the U.S. Open since he bowed in the fourth round in 1977.

"I just didn't get untracked," said McEnroe , a three-time U.S. Open champ. "I think two matches in two days is a little tough. I didn't have enough time to prepare mentally for this match."

In other matches, third-seeded Jimmy Connors earned a berth in the quarterfinals with a 7-5, 6-4, 6-1 victory over Heinz Gunthardt of Switzerland, Eliot Teltscher downed NCAA champion and Pan Am Games gold medalist Greg Holmes, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1, and Mark Dickson stopped resurgent John Lloyd, 6-7 (8-10), 7-6 (9-7), 6-0, 7-6 (7-3).

In women's action, top-seeded Martina Navratilova, second- seeded Chris Evert Lloyd, No. 3 Andrea Jaeger, No. 5 Pam Shriver, No. 7 Sylvia Hanika and No. 8 Hana Mandlikova advanced to the quarterfinals.

Navratilova routed Pilar Vasquez of Key Biscayne, 6-0, 6-1, in 43 minutes. Vasquez won only 18 points in the match.

Evert beat Kathy Jordan, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6), and Jaeger topped Bonnie Gadusek, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1.

The matches on the stadium court ran several hours late. An indication of the day's snail-like pace came on the first point, which lasted seven minutes. Jaeger and Gadusek swatted the ball back and forth from the baseline 180 times before Gadusek finally hit long on a groundstroke. Several observers thought they were still warming up.

Against Scanlon, McEnroe's usually powerful topspin serves deserted him. He got only 51 per cent of his first serves in (compared with Scanlon's 57 per cent) and had 10 double- faults (Scanlon had six).

"I can't get my rhythm," McEnroe said. "I played a disappointing match. It's too bad it had to happen here, but the people seem to be happy about it."

Though McEnroe is a native New Yorker, the crowd favored Scanlon, a 26-year-old from Dallas who is ranked 17th in the world.

"If you're going to have a big win, what better than against the No. 1 player and in New York City at the U.S. Open?" Scanlon said. "It's very satisfying."

Many players feel that Scanlon, who won the NCAA singles championship while attending Trinity (Tex.) University in 1976, has as much raw talent as any player.

But he had never brought all his resources into play until he started working with Australian coach Warren Jacques this year. In 1978, Scanlon almost took an extended sabbatical from the tour, but friends convinced him to keep playing.

"I made a promise to myself three years ago that I'd never give up in any match," Scanlon said.

McEnroe and Scanlon shook hands after the match, but it was obvious they aren't buddies. Scanlon wagged his index finger at McEnroe when a Big Mac shot nearly nailed him. McEnroe wagged his finger at Scanlon later.

"We don't seem to be the best of friends," McEnroe said. "I used to know the guy in better times. He just seems to have a security problem. Maybe something like this will help him get over it. Eight years ago, we were friends. But now he seems to have a chip on his shoulder about certain things, and I do, too."

Scanlon downplayed the rivalry. "We've had some close matches, and in one or two we just exchanged words," he said. "It was made out to be a little more than it is."

But Scanlon says he gets fired up against McEnroe . Though Scanlon was 2-8 in their matches before the Open, he had pushed McEnroe to the limit in losing their last two. At Dallas last year, they went five sets, and in the fourth round at Wimbledon this summer McEnroe escaped, 7-5, 7-6, 7-6.

McEnroe received a warning for delaying the match just before the first-set tiebreaker. And early in the fourth set, he walked off the court and sat down when the crowd was noisy. He said he asked the umpire to tell the crowd to stop saying "ooohhh" and "aaahhh" during points.

Men

FOURTH ROUND

Bill Scanlon (16) d. John McEnroe (1), 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 6-3; Jimmy Connors (3) d. Heinz Gunthardt, 7-5, 6-4, 6-1; Mark Dickson d. John Lloyd, 6-7 (8-10), 7-6 (9-7), 6-0, 7-6 (7-3); Eliot Teltscher d. Greg Holmes, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1.

Women

FOURTH ROUND

Martina Navratilova (1) d. Pilar Vasquez, 6-0, 6-1; Chris Evert Lloyd (2) d. Kathy Jordan (16), 6-3, 7-6 (8-6); Andrea Jaeger (3) d. Bonnie Gadusek, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1; Pam Shriver (5) d. Lisa Bonder, 6-2, 6-2; Sylvia Hanika (7) d. Pascale Paradis, France, 6-4, 6-1; Hana Mandlikova (8) d. Zina Garrison (10), 6-3, 7-5; Jo Durie (14) d. Anne White, 6-3, 6-0; Ivanna Madruga-Osses d. Andrea Leand, 6-1, 6-3.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #293

SCANLON WORKS OVER MCENROE
Philadelphia Daily News
PAUL DOMOWITCH, Daily News Sports Writer

Bill Scanlon will be the first to admit that he didn't put in an awful lot of 40-hour weeks his first four years on the professional tennis circuit.

He preferred beer to Gatorade and a guitar to a tennis racket. The only gut checks this guy took back then were in saloons between rounds.

"You could say I used to have trouble with motivation," confessed the 27- year-old Texan, who yesterday afternoon pulled the biggest upset of the U.S. Open, defeating top-seeded John McEnroe in four sets, 7-6, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3.

Three years ago, Scanlon took a long, hard look at where he had been and where he was going and became a born-again tennis player.

"I just realized what an opportunity I had," he said. "I had been on the tour four years. (On the tour) you get the chance to do a lot of things most people don't get to do. But only if you dedicate yourself. Only if you work hard. It finally dawned on me what I had been squandering those first four years.

"It made me sit back and wonder if that was really the way I wanted to finish out and spend the next six to seven years of my life. It was just a matter of changing priorities."

Despite making a Supermanish leap from 95th to 17th in the world rankings though, the "new" Scanlon has had his share of skeptics, including, apparently, the author of the men's tour's media guide, who writes of him: ''Some feel Bill has never climbed higher in the world rankings because his mind is subject to distraction, which is only natural for a man of many interests."

Scanlon cringed when he read that.

"I would like to rip the pages out of some of those media guides," he said. "All they ever write about is what happened in 1978. They think all I do is play the guitar on the beach. This (bad image) is something we've been working on and trying to ditch for three years. I'm trying to show that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing."

Yesterday, on the barbeque grill that was the National Tennis Center's stadium court, Scanlon did what he's supposed to do better than he's ever done it in his life, making short work of McEnroe and earning a ticket to the men's quarterfinals, where he'll face unseeded Mark Dickson, a four-set winner over John Lloyd.

The victory was Scanlon's third in 10 meetings against McEnroe and avenged a three-set June loss to him at Wimbledon.

"The last two times I've played him, I felt I could have and should have won the matches," Scanlon said. "I played him in Dallas last year and had four match points before losing in five. At Wimbledon, two of the sets went to a tie breaker and the other was 7-5.

"I came into this match more determined than ever to show that I could beat him.

"I thought I played better on the big points. That's something I've been working on for a year or so. But I realized how important it is after I lost to McEnroe at Wimbledon.

"A lot of times, when it's an important point, you have a tendency to stand back and play reaction tennis. You let the other guy dictate play. Today, I didn't do that. I took his serves and put them where I wanted to put them. And I played really well in the tie breakers."

Scanlon, a semifinalist in the last Philadelphia Indoor Championship, played superbly in the tie breakers, pummeling McEnroe , 7-2, in both the first- and second-set sudden deaths. McEnroe used three service breaks to salvage the third set, before the determined Scanlon went for the jugular in the fourth with radar-accurate passing shots.

The loss was a tough one to swallow for Wimbledon winner McEnroe , who grew up in nearby Douglaston, N.Y., but spent the match listening to most of the stadium court crowd of nearly 20,000 rooting for Scanlon.

"It's like beating the same old drum," said the abrasive 24-year-old, who would be the heavy in a match with Yuri Andropov. "It's kind of disappointing. But I'm not going to say it's the reason I lost the match.

"Being brought up here, 15 minutes away, and getting bleeped on every time I play here every year gets a little discouraging after a while. But that's the way New York crowds are. I hope someday it'll change. But by that time, I'll be 35."

McEnroe and Scanlon haven't exactly had the warmest relationship on the men's tour the last couple of years, and it heated up again yesterday. They exchanged words several times during the match, and in the second set, McEnroe nearly decapitated Scanlon with an overhead.

"We're not the best of friends," McEnroe said. "(Scanlon's) got a little bit of a security problem. This'll help it.

"He played better on the big points today. I played better on the big ones in Wimbledon. I wasn't in the match the way I would've liked. I played a disappointing match. Too bad it happened here. But the people seemed happy about it. I expected a tough match today and I got it."

Scanlon, who is making his first visit to the U.S. Open's final eight, is playing the best tennis of his life at the moment. In the last eight months, he's made it to the semifinals in tournaments in Detroit, Philadelphia, Munich, Milan, Houston and Dallas, and was runner-up to Brian Teacher last month in Columbus, Ohio. He gives much of the credit for his red-hot racket to his coach, Australian Warren Jacques, who also tutors South African Kevin Curren and fellow Texan Steve Denton.

"I've been traveling to the same tournaments as Kevin and Steve since the first of the year and Warren's helped me get some things right," Scanlon said. "He's been very helpful. He's been a big help to my game."
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #294

1ST SEED MCENROE MEETS HIS MATCH AS SCANLON OUSTS HIM FROM OPEN
Steve Goldstein, Inquirer Staff Writer

No one in tennis has ever denied that Bill Scanlon had talent. All he lacked, they said, was motivation. Yesterday, Scanlon had both.

Scanlon , 26, of Dallas, took top-seeded John McEnroe out of the U.S. Open, a tournament that McEnroe , who was born and raised in nearby Douglaston, Queens, has come to regard as his own. Not since the New Yorker lost in the fourth round to Manuel Orantes on synthetic clay at Forest Hills in 1977 had he failed to reach the semifinals. He has won the Open three times.

The 16th-seeded Scanlon won, 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 6-3, in 3 hours, 44 minutes of controlled bedlam. Adding fuel to the fire on the stadium court was the fact that the combatants have had a longstanding feud, and they made their feelings evident in a series of glares and stares. On one point, McEnroe whacked a ball at Scanlon, who wagged a finger in return.

And when his last backhand service return landed behind McEnroe for a winner, Scanlon triumphantly raised both fists in the air.

"If you are going to have a big win, what more could it be than to beat the No. 1 player in New York City at the U.S. Open?" Scanlon said. "The crowd was unbelievable, and just the whole setting made it awfully satisfying."

The crowd was for Scanlon from the outset, taunting McEnroe when he complained about line calls and making even more noise after McEnroe asked umpire Ken Slye to request quiet during the final set. During the second set, two noise-makers were ejected by security guards.

"Being brought up 15 minutes from here and getting . . . on every time I play here is a little discouraging," said McEnroe.

Asked whether he thought the crowd got the result it wanted, McEnroe , 24, snapped, "Absolutely."

Nevertheless, he refused to say the crowd was a factor. And, though he mentioned that he would have preferred not to play a second singles match in less than 24 hours - a situation dictated by television - McEnroe said that, too, was not the reason he lost.

"I'm not going to blame anybody - the scheduling committee, the umpires or anybody. I've got no one to blame but myself," McEnroe said. "I thought he played a good match. He put a lot of pressure on me."

McEnroe said he never was able to "get on track," adding, "I expected a tough match and I got it."

Scanlon now moves into the quarterfinals against Mark Dickson of Tampa, Fla., who ended the valiant run of Englishman John Lloyd, 6-7 (8-10), 7-6 (9-7), 6-0, 7-6 (7-3). The unseeded Dickson saved four set points in the second set that would have put him in an 0-2 hole.

Joining Dickson and Scanlon in the quarters was third-seeded Jimmy Connors, who romped to a 7-5, 6-4, 6-1 decision over Heinz Gunthardt of Switzerland. Connors will play 14th-seeded Eliot Teltscher, who last night beat amateur collegian Greg Holmes 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1.

The women completed their quarterfinal pairings last night as top-seeded Martina Navratilova easily defeated Pilar Vasquez of Peru, 6-0, 6-1. Navratilova, who needed only 43 minutes to complete her match, will next meet Sylvia Hanika.

Earlier yesterday, second-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd avenged her Wimbledon loss to 16th-seeded Kathy Jordan, beating the native of King of Prussia, Pa., 6-3, 7-6 (8-6), and advancing to meet Hana Mandlikova, a 6-3, 7-5 winner over Zina Garrison. Jo Durie of England, the 14th seed, will meet the unseeded Ivanna Madruga-Osses of Argentina. And in perhaps the most interesting pairing, third-seeded Andrea Jaeger, who defeated Bonnie Gadusek, 6-2, 6-1, will play fifth-seeded Pam Shriver.

McEnroe's loss to Scanlon brought to mind Connors' unexpected departure from Wimbledon at the hands of Kevin Curren, also in the fourth round. Both matches injected excitement into tournament play but left gaping holes in the draw.

Scanlon simply played better on the important points. McEnroe has always been brilliant in tie-breakers, but Scanlon outplayed him in sudden death. The real turning point came in the fourth game of the last set, as Scanlon fell behind 0-40 on his serve, giving McEnroe three chances to move ahead to 3-1 and serving. Scanlon saved all three points and won the game.

What's more, he broke McEnroe 's serve in the ensuing game, in which McEnroe acknowledged that he got "careless." Scanlon turned a potential 1-4 deficit into a 3-2 advantage, and that, essentially, clinched the match. Few players can beat McEnroe in a fifth set.

Big points. That's how Scanlon lost a five-setter to McEnroe in Dallas 18 months ago when he squandered four match points. And that's how Scanlon lost to McEnroe at Wimbledon by 7-5, 7-6, 7-6.

"I especially realized it at Wimbledon because I really think that match came down to five or six points in the tie-breakers," Scanlon said of his strategy. "This time I played really well in the tie-breakers by remembering what you are supposed to do - making sure you step into the ball and get your momentum going. I stepped into his serve and put them where I wanted to. I didn't play reactive tennis and let him dictate."

Scanlon, curiously, beat a man he both admires and despises. He admires McEnroe for his pure tennis genius, his competitiveness and his willingness to do whatever it takes to win. But Scanlon also despises McEnroe, his friends say, because he sees something of himself in the New Yorker. He sees what might have been had he the same motivation, and the resemblance is painful.

Talent? Scanlon has talent galore. Earlier this year he recorded the first known "golden set" in big-time tennis, winning a set without losing a single point to Marcos Hocevar of Brazil at Delray Beach, Fla.

But the former NCAA singles champion, who played at Trinity University in Texas, has always had difficulty getting motivated. There were other things in his life, like music or friends, and "Scaz" never worked very hard on his tennis. For a time he battled a drinking problem.

This year, Scanlon has been working with Warren Jacques, the Australian coach who has also had great success with Curren and Steve Denton. Jacques has given Scanlon a program, a plan, a course of action. Scanlon no longer feels alone on court.

But he does not need anything special to get up for McEnroe.

"In the past, he was always No. 1 and someone who I'd get really determined and psyched up to play against," Scanlon said after the match. ''There's nothing physical that means we match up well against each other. I'm always very attentive and eager to play him."

The origin of the feud? McEnroe says that they were friends once, when they were growing up in junior tennis, but that Scanlon developed a chip on his shoulder. Scanlon says it developed through some close matches the two have had and some words they exchanged during those matches. "I think it has made for a little more determination on both our parts," said Scanlon.

The irony is that McEnroe , of all people, may have helped solve Scanlon's motivation crisis.

"He just seems to have a security problem," said the loser, "but he shouldn't, because he's such a good player. Maybe something like this will help him get over it."
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #295

Variant article of the preceding.

TOP-SEEDED MCENROE UPSET AT U.S. OPEN SCANLON WINS TIEBREAKERS TO STUN FORMER CHAMPION
Lexington Herald-Leader
Steve Goldstein, Knight-Ridder Newspapers

NEW YORK -- Top-seeded John McEnroe was beaten yesterday in the fourth round of the U.S. Open, the first time since 1977 that the 24-year-old New Yorker has failed to reach the semifinals of the Grand Slam event.

McEnroe was beaten 7-6 (7-2), 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 6-3 in three hours, 44 minutes by Bill Scanlon, 26, of Dallas, the 16th seed in the tournament. Scanlon had beaten McEnroe twice previously in small tournaments and suffered narrow losses to the world's No. 1 ranked player in two major events, most recently at Wimbledon in June.

"It's very satisfying," Scanlon said. "If you're going to have a big win, what better than beating the No. 1 player in New York in the U.S. Open? It's awfully satisfying."

McEnroe, who had won the Open in 1979, '80 and '81,

did not play the kind of game expected of the best in the world. He had 10 double faults, and his first-serve percentage was a disappointing 51. He carped at some line calls early in the match, seemed troubled by the antagonism of the sellout crowd and generally never seemed to catch his rhythm.

The loser also said he had been at a disadvantage in having to play two singles matches in less than 24 hours, a d ecision, McEnroe said, dictated by the needs of a national television broadcast. But McEnroe said he wasn't making excuses.

"I'm not going to blame anybody -- the scheduling committee, the umpires, the fans," he said. "I've got no one to blame but myself. I expected a tough match today and I got it."

The crowd did become a factor in the match, disregarding umpire Ken Slye's pleas for quiet in the final set. Earlier, two rowdy fans had been removed by security police.

Asked whether he thought the fans got what they wanted, McEnroe said, ''Absolutely."

Adding to the drama of the upset was the animosity between the two players, clearly evident at times. Once friends, the pair have had a long-standing feud, and the match yesterday was punctuated by glares and stares and a ball whacked by McEnroe at Scanlon. The ball missed, and Scanlon replied by wagging a finger.

In the end, as a backhand passing shot from Scanlon sailed past McEnroe and bounced on the court, the Texan hooted loudly and shot two fists into the air, baring a triumphant smile in the direction of Warren Jacques, his informal coach since the beginning of the year.

Scanlon, who is ranked No. 17 in the world, moves into the quarterfinals against the unseeded Mark Dickson, who ended the stirring run by England's John Lloyd, 6-7 (8-10), 7-6 (9-7), 6-0, 7-6 (7-3). Dickson saved four set points in the second set that would have given Lloyd a two set to none lead.

In a rematch of their third-round Wimbledon encounter, second-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd gained revenge against 16th-seeded Kathy Jordan with a 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) victory.

Women's seeds Andrea Jaeger (3), Pam Shriver (5), Sylvia Hanika (7), Hana Mandlikova (8) and Jo Durie (14) all a dvanced into the quarterfinals.

Mandlikova, who defeated 10th-seeded Zina Garrison, 6-3, 7-5, will next face Lloyd.

Jaeger, whose quarterfinal opponent will be Shriver, lost the first set to Bonnie Gadusek but won the next two sets handily.

As the first set tiebreaker of the McEnroe - Scanlon match was about to begin, McEnroe received a delay-of-game conduct warning from the umpire, but it was the only time he received a formal reprimand. He had words with Slye on several other occasions, but it was clear that McEnroe was making an effort to hold himself in check.

In the past, Scanlon had gotten into tiebreakers with McEnroe only to falter on the big points. This time, the Texan had the goods, pounding an ace at 4-2 and following with a forehand passing shot for 6-2.

Scanlon served for a two set to love lead at 5-3, but McEnroe came up with his second service break. Again the set went to a tiebreaker and again McEnroe was wanting. From 1-1, the New Yorker lost five straight points, three on errors. Scanlon closed him out with a frightening smash.

McEnroe now faced his earliest elimination from the Open since it moved to Flushing Meadow in 1978. In 1977, McEnroe lost to Manuel Orantes in the fourth round at Forest Hills.

McEnroe fought off two break points on his service in the ninth game, then broke Scanlon's serve to win the third set 64 and apparently gain a toehold on the match.

But the situation would be reversed in the next set.

The turning point in the match, which seemed to be shifting McEnroe's way, came in the fourth game of the second set. Scanlon fell behind 0-40 on his serve, and McEnroe had a golden opportunity to move to 3-1. But he wasted one point with an error, and Scanlon made two excellent volleys to draw to deuce. Scanlon won the next two points with a serveand- volley combination and a miss-hit backhand from McEnroe.

"I should have won that game," McEnroe would say later. "I got careless with the next game."

Sick with the missed chances, McEnroe played a loose service game, making two volley errors and then netting a half-volley off a net cord from Scanlon. All of a sudden Scanlon was up 3-2 and serving and the match had swung the Texan's way again.

Down 5-3 in the final set, McEnroe was serving at 40-15 when he double- faulted and made an error to fall back to deuce. Then he gave Scanlon his first match point by b locking a volley long. McEnroe saved it with a deep forehand that the Texan couldn't get over the net.

But McEnroe made another volley error for match point No. 2, and Scanlon remembered all the drills he had undergone to teach him to stay with the shot, step into it. After McEnroe faulted, Scanlon backhanded his second serve past a helpless McEnroe. The match was over.

"I saw that shot go past and fall in and I thought, that's what I've been working for," said Scanlon. "Not for a few weeks. This has been a yearlong project."

Scanlon said he was most proud of his determination to win. He has always had the talent but not the motivation. One reason he plays well against McEnroe, he said, is that he never lacks for motivation against him.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #296

THE SCENE - IN PHILADELPHIA AND ITS SUBURBS
Wednesday, September 7, 1983
Clark DeLeon

THE INCIDENT: AN AMERICAN IN PARIS

Congressman Bill Gray's voice sounded weary on the phone yesterday when I reached him at his hotel room in Paris. It was about 11 p.m. in the City of

Lights. "They did?" he said when informed that the Soviets had admitted shooting the Korean 747 out of the sky. "Finally!" Gray had been the only member of Congress to go to the Soviet Union after Flight 007 was shot down, and during his meeting with Sergei Chetberikov, the deputy director of the U.S. division of the Soviet Foreign Ministry, he had been given the Moscow runaround.

"What he told me was that their jets followed the the plane until it was out of Soviet territory," Gray recalled. He was told that tracer bullets were fired and that Soviet interceptors wiggled their wings to alert the pilot. He was also told that the Soviets could have mistaken the 747 civilian aircraft for a RC-135 spy plane. "He said, 'We shot down no plane,' " Gray quoted the Soviet official. "I told him I thought his story was unbelievable. How could they get close enough to wiggle their wings and not know it was a 747?" When Gray raised the issue of compensation, Chetberikov said, "We can't compensate for something we haven't done."

When he arrived in Leningrad, Gray said he was notified by the U.S. Embassy in Moscow that other congressmen had canceled their planned trips to the Soviet Union as a protest. He said he continued on to Moscow to register his outrage at the incident and to meet with a Soviet refusenik as well as Chetberikov. He left Moscow a day early and will return from Paris, where he is meeting with the French on the Chadian situation, tomorrow.

What bothered Gray as much as anything was the reaction by Soviet citizens to the incident. "When we were picked up by a tour guide at the airport (Friday), the first thing out of our mouths was, 'What do you think of the Korean incident?' The guide said, 'What incident?' When we explained, the guide said, 'Why did the plane violate our airspace?'

"No American can possibly describe the (Soviet) mentality. On Sunday night there was a 20-minute report on the incident on Soviet TV, which I am told is highly unusual. During it the announcer suggested that this means that the United States is gearing up for nuclear war. All I could think of was the millions of people walking the streets of the Soviet Union and this is all the information they get."

PEOPLE: JOHN, YOU WANNA HEAR A RICHTER SCALE BOO?

I never realized, not really, what a brat John McEnroe is until I saw the footage of his defeat in the U.S. Open. I knew that he complained a lot about linesmen's calls, but I had no idea of what an insipid whiner he is until I saw him in action during his upset by Bill Scanlon. It happened when McEnroe was given a warning for taking too long to serve. He walked over to the umpire's chair and complained in that petulant tennis-camp manner of his that he couldn't concentrate because the crowd was making noise. The umpire answered that he couldn't control the noise in a crowd of 15,000. To that, McEnroe said, "But they booed me."

Wouldn't you love to see that kid in action at Veterans Stadium? Then he'd know what boos are.

NAMES: WHO CAN KEEP UP WITH THE CHANGES?

I was trying to come up with a theory for the Phillies' inconsistency this year, and the one thing that keeps coming back is the names of the players. Now the Phillies have always had their share of strange names: Puddinhead Jones, Putsy Caballero, Milo Candini, Bo Belinski, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Cookie Rojas, two guys with the first name Del and a guy named Fox with two x's. But this year is a bumper crop. We traded a Mexican pitcher named Sid for a guy named Lefebvre who pronounces it "La-FAY" (so why doesn't Bob Dernier pronounce his name "Dern-YAY"?). One of our latest acquisitions is a second baseman named Samuel, pronouced "SAM-well" and not "SA-mule" or ''SAM-u-el," who combines on a double-play ball with a shortstop named Ivan, who is not Russian. Most recently we have acquired an outfielder with the first name Sixto. Our catchers are named Baudilio and Osvaldo, known as Bo and Ozzie respectively. And the manager is known as The Pope.

Now you could point out that I'm showing a cultural bias because many of what I consider unusual names belong to Latin players. But what could be more unusual than someone with the Hispanic surname DeLeon having the first name Clark? Perhaps a Puerto Rican named Ivan?

Maybe it's just been the Phillies' turnover in the last few years. I suppose I miss names of Phillies past, good old-fashioned American names - like Luzinski.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #297

MCENROE IS CANDIDATE FOR "TENNIS BURNOUT," PSYCHOLOGIST SAYS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Wednesday, September 7, 1983
Hal Bock, Associated Press

In his first match at the United States Open, John McEnroe quarreled with fans and officials and struggled to a five-set victory.

Suddenly, McEnroe turned into Goody Twoshoes and won his next two matches in straight sets without incident.

Then he flip-flopped again, debating calls, pouting at the fans and bowing out of the tournament with a loss to Bill Scanlon.

If you ask sports psychologist Jim Loehr, this Jekyll-Hyde business and the emotional roller coaster Super Mac rides eventually will catch up with him.

"McEnroe is a likely candidate for tennis burnout," Loehr said. "That pressure to perform can be destructive. If it's not fun, it's not going to work. His levels of consistency will improve when he learns to tame the tiger without putting out the fire.

"He is an interesting study, a most unusual example. He can toy with negative emotions and it seemingly contributes to his performance. He's an exception -- one of the few to achieve degrees of success with that negative energy."

Now, of course. there are people in the tennis community who will tell you that McEnroe's outbursts are every bit as damaging to the concentration of his opponents as they are to him. The delays can drive an opponent to distraction. That's why Loehr thinks that some of the carrying-on is orchestrated. But he also believes McEnroe would be far better off without the craziness.

"John will achieve real greatness when he fine-tunes his emotions," he said.

Loehr, who serves on the advisory staff of AMF Head Racquet, lists 10 of the pros playing in the Open at the National Tennis Center among his clients. He believes that tennis success is intricately linked with psychological factors.

"There is a constellation of feelings," he said. "When I feel right, I can perform right. I teach control of that emotional climate."

Sometimes controlling it is a real challenge. Loehr likes to tell this story about one of his prize pupils, Tom Gullikson.

"Tom was at a low point, being beaten by people whose names you don't know. He came to me and we talked about it. One of the keys to tennis success is the ability to enjoy what you're doing, to have fun and to handle adversity.

"Last year, Gullikson was scheduled to play in the World Championship Tennis tournament at Chicago," said Loehr. "He was sick in bed all week. He caught the last plane he could to Chicago. He was weak. He hadn't hit all week. He had no practice time. His match was scheduled for 10:30 p.m. but it didn't get on until about 1:30 in the morning. There were maybe 60 people watching. It was not the best of times for him.

"He thought to himself, 'If ever there was a time to go in the tank, this is it. Who would blame me?'

"But then he said: 'This is adversity and I love it'

"It was a trigger. Adversity brings out greatness. It inspired him and he won 6-3 in the third set. It ended at 3:30 in the morning but it was a breakthrough for him."

Gullikson went on to reach the semifinals of the tournament. At age 31, he went from the worst year of his career to the best, and Loehr said it all had to do with outlook.

"I try to discipline how they think because their energy follows their thoughts."

Involved is the image players have of themselves. It includes such seemingly simplistic factors as how a player walks on the court, the look he projects, the intensity and application of his energy, and his ability to control the emotional climate around him.

"We want to help players understand how they function," he said. "How their bodies work and how their minds work."
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #298
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH – 23rd October 1983
NEVER SAY DIE DURIE

With immaculate timing, both on a personal and national level, Jo Durie crowned the most progressive year of her lawn tennis career with a semi-final victory over the world No 6 Pam Shriver, of Maryland, in the £100,000 Daihatsu Challenge at Brighton yesterday.

Miss Durie has worked on her fitness, her stamina, and her movement to obviously improved level. But her 7-5 6-4 win was based on the old fashioned premise of fighting until the last point.

In the modern parlance of the game, she hung in.

Curiously, Miss Shriver should have won but her inspiration was nothing like as broadly based or finely concentrated.

The American served for the first set and led 3-0 with two breaks of serve in the second. But from positions of such apparent luxury, she was forced to submit to the eagerness and the true grit of the British No 1.

Until the French Championships this year, Miss Shriver had always beaten Miss Durie. But, in Paris, the American conceded the match to the British girl after being injured while losing the first set.

Miss Durie was therefore anxious to improve on what is construed in some areas as a less than substantial win.

This was a contest of tall and powerful women with a big aggressive game. But there was touch and quality about many of the exchanges and, often, some desperation as well. But in the critical moments Miss Durie wanted to win more than her opponent and her attitude had it’s reward.

A slow and indifferent start left Miss Durie with work to do. She trailed 2-0 and Miss Shriver’s confident serving, which cost her only six points in four games, suggested that the British girl would always struggle to catch up. But at 5-3 behind, Miss Durie produced positive winners to save three set points.

An inch perfect lob gave her a service break to five all and after resisting no fewer than six break points in the next game, it was only justice that Miss Durie should win the set, capturing the American’s serve with a stinging return which forced a forehand error.

Enthused by this success Miss Durie forgot to concentrate at the start of the second set and had her worst spell of the match, losing service twice.

Counter-attacking strongly, Miss Durie broke serve three times in four attempts to finish the 96 minute match with a backhand winner boldly played from outside the tramlines.

Miss Durie may have earned a place in the top ten in the world on her feats in this tournament and has also given British hopes of making some kind of dent against the Americans in the Wightman Cup match in Williamsburg next month something of a boost.

Her one defeat was to Chris Lloyd In the semi finals of the US Open and, ironically, she faces Mrs Lloyd in today’s final which is worth £18.500 to the winner.

Mrs Lloyd was leading 6-0 1-0 against Andrea Temesvari, when the Hungarian teenager defaulted in tears because of a back injury.

Semi Finals
J Durie (GB) bt P Shriver (US) 7-5 6-4
C Lloyd (US) bt A Temesvari (HUN) 6-0 1-0 retd
Doubles
J Durie (GB) & A Kiyomura (US) bt A Hobbs (GB) & C Reynolds (US) 6-3 6-3
C Lloyd & P Shriver (US) bt E Pfaff (WG) & A Temesvari (HUN) w.o.

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, (w/sfar QF WIMBLEDON), 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #299
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

THE MAIL ON SUNDAY – 23rd October 1983
TOP OF THE CLASS – BATTLING JO EARNS HER FINAL TEST

Jo Durie will sit her advanced level tennis examination at Brighton today content that she is equipped to gain an honours pass.

The 23-year old Bristol girl, who this summer has breathed fresh self-respect into British tennis, will meet Chris Lloyd in the final off the £100,000 Daihatsu Challenger.

Mrs Lloyd, No 2 in the world, would have once considered such a confrontation as just a mind intrusion into her plans for a Sunday afternoon with the family.

But that was before Miss Durie embarked on her journey through the world rankings, a journey that continued in wonderful style with her 7-5 6-4 semi-final victory over America’s Pam Shriver, who is ranked sixth in the world.

The British No 1, who has reached the semi finals of two of the world’s major four tournaments this year – the French and US Opens – at times teetered on the tightrope of defeat with the same vulnerability with which Virginia Wade once teased us.

She dropped her opening service game, saved three set points at 3-5, and then broke Miss Shriver’s own powerful serve in the tenth game with a nerve-less backhand lob.

The American was granted six game points to retrieve the initiative, but Miss Durie rescued that game and then took the set with a backhand service to return to Miss Shriver’s feet.

Clinical

But the pressure was soon on Miss Durie again. Miss Shriver swiftly accelerated into a 3-0 lead in the second set.

“Maybe I relaxed after taking the first set”, said Jo. “But I started to slow my service down and get into the net quicker”.

It was clearly a successful recipe. Miss Durie surrendered just four points as she took the next four games from the American, who will be one of Jo’s opponents in the Wightman Cup in a fortnight’s time.

The end, when it came, was clinical with Jo striking a backhand winner on the run from outside the tramlines.

Only Mrs Lloyd has beaten Miss Durie in the last 28 matches – a statistic the British girl would like to avenge today. “It would be a good time to gain my first win over her”, she said.

Mrs Lloyd reached the final when her opponent, Hungarian teenager Andrea Temesvari, retired with a back injury.

Miss Durie will get two chances against Mrs Lloyd today. Jo and Ann Kiyomura beat Anne Hobbs and Candy Reynolds 6-3 6-3 to reach the doubles final where they will meet Mrs Lloyd and Miss Shriver.

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, (w/sfar QF WIMBLEDON), 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #300
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

THE OBSERVER – 23rd October 1983
HOW JO TOOK A GREAT LEAP FORWARD FOR BRITAIN

Jo Durie’s manner in taking on Pam Shriver, one of the world’s hardest strikers of a tennis ball and the world’s sixth ranked player, gives the British game something solid to cheer after the gulf which followed Virginia Wade’s slide from the peak.

The 23-year old six-footer from Bristol came back from a 2-0 deficit in the first set and from 3-0 down in the second to beat her equally tall opponent 7-5 6-4 in the semi-finals of the £100,000 Daihatsu Challenge in Brighton.

In this afternoon’s final she will take on the top seed and the world No 2 Chris Lloyd, who was awarded an easy semi-final passage when the 17 year old Hungarian Andrea Temesvari, retired with a back injury after losing the first seven games.

Miss Shriver, looking as if she had just been through a tumble dryer and with huge ice packs on her ailing racket arm, took herself to task for throwing away opportunities but also paid handsome tribute to the hard work which has brought the improvement in Miss Durie’s tennis this year, an improvement which has pushed her to the fringe of the world’s Top 10.

Miss Durie has now won 19 of her last 20 singles matches in a run which saw her capture the Mahwah tournament in New Jersey, reach the semi-finals of the US Open and then win the British Closed Championships at Telford.

She also reached the semi-finals of the French Open in the summer, beating Miss Shriver along the way. But it was a flawed victory, the American retiring with ankle damage after losing the first set.

Until that day in Paris, Miss Durie had lost to Miss Shriver seven times in succession, so the incentive to reverse the flow was bubbling away, waiting to be uncorked.

Overnight queues at the Brighton Centre turned out to be those waiting to buy tickets for a Duran Duran concert rather than Durie, but those who did get in to see the tennis had full value for money, at least in the first semi-final.

When the second seeded Miss Shriver broke serve in a long opening game and then swept into a 2-0 lead Miss Durie’s sequence of singles wins was in peril. The American had two points for a 3-0 lead but missed them both, which was all the incentive Miss Durie needed to mount her counter-attack, charging the net, running down shots which appeared unreachable and testing Miss Shriver’s injured arm by lobbing to her backhand whenever possible.

Even so, the American moved solidly to set point at 5-3 when Miss Durie double faulted. She served well to stave off two set points and saved a third with a crisp backhand cross court pass before holding serve with a couple of forehand volleys and a smash.

A glorious lob, which even the lanky Miss Shriver could not get near, broke serve to level the set at 5 all before Miss Durie plunged into trouble again, only to clambor out once again with the sort of play which her coach Alan Jones described as “a tribute to her guts”.

Six times in the 11th game the American had a break point and six times Miss Durie denied her the advantage before terminating the apprehension with a brisk smash to move ahead 6-5 and then take the set after 54 minutes with another service break as she trapped the incoming Miss Shriver with a dipping backhand return.

Shaking her head in disbelief, the American girl reacted by surging to a 3-0 lead in the second set with two service breaks, only to be pulled back by a purple patch which saw Miss Durie sweep through four games at a cost of four points.

She was now in unstoppable form, hurtling around the court to strike the sort of winners which had Miss Shriver appealing loudly for a little relief. None was forthcoming. Serving at 4-5 to stay alive, the American slumped to match point down as she was again trapped on the way to the net. At least she appeared to have averted that crisis, however with an accurate shot down the line but the British girl, sprinting beyond the confines of the court, struck a stupendous backhand pass which fell just inside the baseline to bring her victory in 96 minutes.

Miss Durie’s performance, particularly the effort and speed which went into that final shot, was a tribute to the improvement which has shown since enrolling a 64-year old Geordie, Len Heppel, to teach her how to move properly. Does a girl who has zoomed so high in the rankings this year really need to learn how to move?. Very much so if you listen to Alan Jones and the trim little Hepple.

“Jo used to be a person with a racket who didn’t move very well”, said Jones. “Then a friend of mine, Terry Mabbitt, the coach at the North East Regional tennis centre, watched one of her Wimbledon matches on TV and told me she needed to improve her footwork. If she wanted help, he told me, he could recommend a man who was bloody marvellous”.

So Miss Durie and Jones made the journey north to Hexham to meet Heppel, whose skills in teaching athletes the arts of movement first became known when he turned his son-in-law Bryan ‘Pop’ Robson, from a struggling stalker into a 30-goals-a-season man with Newcastle.

He has also helped such as Bobby Moore (“He added an extra dimension to my career”), Trevor Brooking and Peter Shilton, and works with the footballers of Middlesborough and Sunderland and the county tennis players of Durham.

Heppel’s method couldn’t be more simple, “Good quality movement comes from the upper body down to the feet. Most people say “Get the feet right first”. That’s rubbish. Of course the footwork has to be right but it doesn’t take pride of place”.

Miss Durie herself estimates her movement around the court has improved 50 per cent since she started listening to Heppel and he is equally complimentary about his pupil. “she is the best worker I have ever taught. There is still a lot to do but she learns well”.

“At Brighton this week I have been teaching her to walk along the promenade with a wider gait, alternating short steps with long ones to prevent her being one paced. Jo can’t play tennis all her walking hours but this way she is working all the time”.

In fact, Miss Durie’s application, work rate and results have improved so markedly that in the words of the national coach, Sue Mappin : “You can now sit down to watch a match expecting to see a British win”.

That victory was duly delivered yesterday as an encouraging boost for next week’s Wightman Cup match with the United States in Williamsburg where the two players will meet again.

Now Miss Durie faces the elegant Chris Lloyd, from whom she has never managed to take a set in four matches. But after yesterday’s scintillating stuff, who is to argue that another major hurdle cannot be vaulted.

Miss Durie, partnered by Anne Kiyomura, also reached the doubles final by defeating Anne Hobbs and Candy Reynolds 6-3 6-3. In today’s final they will meet Mrs Lloyd and Miss Shriver.