Most Impressive Tennis Accomplishment(s) - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which do you think are the most impressive to achieve?

Finishing Year End #1 12 11.65%
Defending A Grand Slam Title 26 25.24%
Winning Consecutive Grand Slams (ex. AO-FO WM-US) 51 49.51%
Winning a Grand Slam as a Teenager 31 30.10%
Making 4 Consecutive slam finals (ex. WM-US-AO-FO) 24 23.30%
Achieving Doubles # 1 Ranking 5 4.85%
Winning a Grand Slam without losing a Set 14 13.59%
Achieving Career Grand Slam 62 60.19%
Collecting 1 Grand Slam title 4X or more 46 44.66%
Other- Please Specify 6 5.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 28th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #61
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Most Impressive Tennis Accomplishment(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouc View Post
lol at this thread, wat was the idea behind placing 'Winning Consecutive Grand Slams (ex. AO-FO WM-US)' and 'Making 4 Consecutive slam finals (ex. WM-US-AO-FO)' in competition...
+1
indeed "duh"

Also it's ridiculous to choose between winning the grand slam 4 straight times (under 12 months) >>>>> winning all four after trying it for five or ten or twenty years
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #62
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sharapova View Post
Now watch Vika stans saying that the most impressive one is defending a slam .

I personally believe it should be ending the year as the number 1 player in the world twice without even winning a slam title .

I personally believe the biggest tennis accomplishment is winning the Career Grand Slam and not even finishing any year as #1 because you simply aren't good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkutsaar View Post
Ah yes if Monica would not have been stabbed she would have won the eleven slams Steffi won after that crime; maybe even more in that she could have snagged some of the titles that Steffi did not win. In line of this kind of thinking Maureen Connelly would have had 45 slams titles; if only she would not have fallen off a horse when she was nineteen. The main difference between Maureen and Monica misfortunes was that Maureen’s injury was career ending but Monica did play after recovering from the stabbing.

The main different is that Mauren decided to ride on a horse and so she risked having an accident herself while Monica's "misfortune" happened while she was doing her job on the court and she got stabbed by a mentally ill person which wasn't her fault AT ALL.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #63
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
I personally believe the biggest tennis accomplishment is winning the Career Grand Slam and not even finishing any year as #1 because you simply aren't good enough

The main different is that Mauren decided to ride on a horse and so she risked having an accident herself while Monica's "misfortune" happened while she was doing her job on the court and she got stabbed by a mentally ill person which wasn't her fault AT ALL.
Slams are not just a number .
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #64
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Two Olympic medals in singles.
Does she need to come back and win the Bronze in Rio to have her boxed set?
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #65
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
+1
indeed "duh"

Also it's ridiculous to choose between winning the grand slam 4 straight times (under 12 months) >>>>> winning all four after trying it for five or ten or twenty years
Winning the Grand Slam isn't an option because we all can agree that is probably the most impressive accomplishment. I posted that in the OP so if you and FOUC had read that you both wouldn't look so basic right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
VOTE POPCON 2014
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #66
country flag tkutsaar

tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute tkutsaar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
So? I never said they were Grand Slams.

She still won them. http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/ab...stwinners.html

Fact is, Lenglen won French-Wimbledon double 5 times and that is a record.

The point is given that Seles was younger than Graf and had already a decisive edge against her on the clay meant it would be very, very hard for Graf to turn the tables on her. But Seles could've turned the tables on Graf on grass like how Graf did against Navratilova.
Well I at least give you credit that you have forced me to look up some tennis history to make a cogent response. I discovered that Lenglen won the French Open titles in 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1925 and 1926; and the Wimbledon titles in 1919, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, and 1925. So at first blush Lenglen did indeed win five clay/grass court double titles of FO & Wimbledon for the years 1920 to 1925 excepting 1924. However in official tennis statistics Lenglen is credited with only eight slam titles because her FO victories of 1920 to 1923 are discounted as slam victories and are recorded as mere regular tournament victories.

The reason Lenglenís victories in Paris during 1920 to 1923 are not accorded slam status victories; because prior to 1925 competition was limited to only members of French tennis clubs. It was not until 1925 when the tournament was truly open to all players worldwide and thus the tournament acquired slam status. Even Lenglenís Wimbledon titles for 1920 and 1921 can be disparaged if one compares it to more modern records and results. You see prior to 1922 the format for the Wimbledon tournament was that the previous year champion was granted a bye to the title match facing the survivor of the knockout challenger draw. So having won the 1919 title Suzanne Lenglen only needed one victory each to garner the 1920 and 1921 titles.

And you have the temerity to suggest Grafís double victories of FO/Wimbledon in 1993, 1995 and 1996 as meaningless. Whereas Lenglenís victories of 1920 to 1923 are more laudatory? Give me a break. Your only justification to disparage Grafís 1993 and 1995 results rests only on the fact that one player (i.e. Monica Seles was missing from the field) whereas an indeterminate amount of good rivals were missing in Lenglenís Paris victories and she only needed to beat one opponent to snag the 1920 and 1921 Wimbledon titles.

BTW what is the justification for ignoring Steffiís 1996 FO/Wimbledon double- Monica was in the field? Ah yes one can suggest she was still mentally affected by stabbing. However this does not square with actual facts. Monica returned to tennis in August of 1995 and promptly won her first tournament (Canadian Open). She came within one point of winning the 1995 USO and did win the AO of 1996. So she had a better record than Steffi coming into the 1996 FO and even had she not been stabbed in 1993 it is hard to imagine she could have had a better 8 months record prior to the FO for that year.

Finally if Monica had not been stabbed in Apr/1993 how certain can we be that she would have won the 1993 FO? She won the 90-91-92 FO titles and yes she would have been the favorite. But in looking at modern tennis history only Justine Henin has won three consecutive FO titles as well but she did not win four in a row although she did win four out of five years. Chris Evert the all time leader with 7 FO titles never won more than two consecutive RG titles and likewise Steffi with 6 FO titles did not surpass two consecutive years.

Bottom line is the stabbing of Monica was a despicable crime but that in of itself cannot detract from Steffiís remarkable of achievement of winning both FO and Wimbledon in the same year four times.
tkutsaar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #67
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSetJJ View Post
Beating both Williams sisters in less than 24 hours (one of those beatings would be the worst of Venus' entire career).
Ahhh...still measuring the gold standard to Queen Vee and Princess Ree. Thanks.

Serena Williams Australian Open Champion (03,05,07,09,10)
French Open Champion (02,13)
Wimbledon Champion (02,03,09,10,12)
US Open Champion (99,02,08,12,13,14)
mdterp01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #68
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Winning all majors at least 4x each......

Victoria Azarenka ~ Venus Williams
Maria Kirilenko ~ Petra Kvitova
VeeJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #69
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkutsaar View Post
Well I at least give you credit that you have forced me to look up some tennis history to make a cogent response. I discovered that Lenglen won the French Open titles in 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1925 and 1926; and the Wimbledon titles in 1919, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, and 1925. So at first blush Lenglen did indeed win five clay/grass court double titles of FO & Wimbledon for the years 1920 to 1925 excepting 1924. However in official tennis statistics Lenglen is credited with only eight slam titles because her FO victories of 1920 to 1923 are discounted as slam victories and are recorded as mere regular tournament victories.

The reason Lenglenís victories in Paris during 1920 to 1923 are not accorded slam status victories; because prior to 1925 competition was limited to only members of French tennis clubs. It was not until 1925 when the tournament was truly open to all players worldwide and thus the tournament acquired slam status. Even Lenglenís Wimbledon titles for 1920 and 1921 can be disparaged if one compares it to more modern records and results. You see prior to 1922 the format for the Wimbledon tournament was that the previous year champion was granted a bye to the title match facing the survivor of the knockout challenger draw. So having won the 1919 title Suzanne Lenglen only needed one victory each to garner the 1920 and 1921 titles.

And you have the temerity to suggest Grafís double victories of FO/Wimbledon in 1993, 1995 and 1996 as meaningless. Whereas Lenglenís victories of 1920 to 1923 are more laudatory? Give me a break. Your only justification to disparage Grafís 1993 and 1995 results rests only on the fact that one player (i.e. Monica Seles was missing from the field) whereas an indeterminate amount of good rivals were missing in Lenglenís Paris victories and she only needed to beat one opponent to snag the 1920 and 1921 Wimbledon titles.

BTW what is the justification for ignoring Steffiís 1996 FO/Wimbledon double- Monica was in the field? Ah yes one can suggest she was still mentally affected by stabbing. However this does not square with actual facts. Monica returned to tennis in August of 1995 and promptly won her first tournament (Canadian Open). She came within one point of winning the 1995 USO and did win the AO of 1996. So she had a better record than Steffi coming into the 1996 FO and even had she not been stabbed in 1993 it is hard to imagine she could have had a better 8 months record prior to the FO for that year.

Finally if Monica had not been stabbed in Apr/1993 how certain can we be that she would have won the 1993 FO? She won the 90-91-92 FO titles and yes she would have been the favorite. But in looking at modern tennis history only Justine Henin has won three consecutive FO titles as well but she did not win four in a row although she did win four out of five years. Chris Evert the all time leader with 7 FO titles never won more than two consecutive RG titles and likewise Steffi with 6 FO titles did not surpass two consecutive years.

Bottom line is the stabbing of Monica was a despicable crime but that in of itself cannot detract from Steffiís remarkable of achievement of winning both FO and Wimbledon in the same year four times.
It doesn't matter about Seles. Lenglen did the French-Wimbledon double 5 times, more than anyone else. It doesn't matter that it wasn't official. Technically, the concept of "Grand Slam" didn't even exist until 1933.

Helen Wills also did the double 4 times including 3 consecutive.