What was your game like when you first started playing? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 6th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
country flag bodie

bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all bodie is a name known to all
What was your game like when you first started playing?

especially if you were an adult when you started.
i'm 20 and have just joined a local league and played my first competitive match today, hadn't played at all in 4 years before now. thought my forehand was surprisingly solid but apart from that i'm awful, all technique went out of the window and i was just rolling my serves in, found it really difficult to focus on basic strategy like targeting the opponent's backhand and following up short shots and got caught out of position so many times. also kept switching between 1 handed and 2 handed backhand but i reckon if i start playing stronger players i'll settle for 2 handed.

any advice on how to get better? i can't afford coaching like

me on tumblr
bodie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 7th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #2
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What was your game like when you first started playing?

This is so broad, how would one even begin, especially given the fact that you said you haven't played a lot. It's a lot easier if you have a specific problem/area you want to improve.

I have a friend who is a coach and I've improved a lot from his advice especially on the serve. I think even if you can't get a coach, you should play with someone who can give you advice in person and someone who knows what they're talking about.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #3
country flag Spring Pools

Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute

The first time I played tennis, I thought that I had to hit an overhead on every shot and maybe made contact once
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
country flag MMJSL

MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute MMJSL has a reputation beyond repute

I played two handed both sides when I first started. I've always had an instructor, that really helps.

My advice would be to focus on technique. If you can't afford instruction, watch YouTube videos. Make sure you're using the right grips for the right shot, right preparation and follow through.

Lots of practice will help. Just make sure on focusing on the RIGHT technique, don't give yourself too much freedom and start changing your technique to what you think feels better.

Wozniacki. Stosur. Jankovic. Halep.
Venus. Stephens. Hampton. Bouchard. Bencic.
Seles. Henin. Davenport. Hingis. Clijsters.
MMJSL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #5
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Um, I already had a kinda decent backhand in my first lesson at 13

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

I was, in my misplaced, misplayed, wasted youth, a serve-and-volley player. At 6'2", I was fairly tall for a tennis player with a good wingspan and in the days of wood, metal and early oversize rackets, it was hard to pass.

I actually played with an old Prince similar to the one I used a few years ago and it felt like it was bending about 45 degrees every time I hit with it. I know it was just because I was used to newer rackets, but man.

I remember when I traded my wood in for this thing and I thought I was badass.

Most S&V back in the day didn't like the big heads, but I loved it.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #7
country flag ohnoitsmchl

ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light ohnoitsmchl is a glorious beacon of light

I had a two handed forehand and a one handed backhand hahaha but I have one hand on both sides now!
ohnoitsmchl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #8
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing you can do is put in hours on the court. The more you play, the better you'll get.

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #9
country flag Base1990

Base1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ping-pong,as the most famous sport in the world, attracts many pepple to enjoy it. I love its persist and techniques, and it is a symbol of success in heart because of its reputation. The more you play, the closer to succeed! www.live4mmo.com
Base1990 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote