The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Volume 2 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #31
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold
Re: The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Volume 2

The pic of Gaby and bikes
nat75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 29th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #32
country flag dtyjyaejian

dtyjyaejian is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it is VERY interesting,
dtyjyaejian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #33
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Hi everyone, it`s been a long time. And no news of Gabriela
I wanted to tell you that I have recently got back to play tennis, which is really nice for me. I joined the main local tennis club and I'm enjoying so much!
But well, what the hell I care? you must be thinking.... I mention this because I have a great feeling a few days ago, as it was in my club facilities that Gabriela played a Fed Cup rubber in 1995 against Australia, and last week I played on the very same court she played back then! It was a nice and strange feeling (and a little embarrassing too ) to play tennis, cheeky of me, on the same court which was once graced by the Divine Argentine!
Just wanted to share.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #34
country flag isa1077

isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light isa1077 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: The Gabriela Sabatini Thread! - Volume 2

I'm happy you started to play again, it's a great feeling to play tennis. I remember that match in Tucumán in 1995 against Nicole Provis-Bradke. A great match, Gaby played well and Argentina won the serie. Can't believe almost 20 years went by, incredible. Gabriela's probably in Buenos Aires these days, she took part at Cecilia Baccigalupo's foundation dinner a while ago. She didn't show up at any tennis tournaments this year, for the first time since she retired. But according to Mariano, she's fine ! Hope to have some news soon.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 12:31 AM   #35
country flag nat75

nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold nat75 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
I wanted to tell you that I have recently got back to play tennis, which is really nice for me. I joined the main local tennis club and I'm enjoying so much!
But well, what the hell I care? you must be thinking.... I mention this because I have a great feeling a few days ago, as it was in my club facilities that Gabriela played a Fed Cup rubber in 1995 against Australia, and last week I played on the very same court she played back then! It was a nice and strange feeling (and a little embarrassing too ) to play tennis, cheeky of me, on the same court which was once graced by the Divine Argentine!
Just wanted to share.
Hello! Such a spine chilling experience! I'm so happy for you! :
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #36
country flag dwyerfan

dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light

I was curious to those in this thread how do you think Sabatini compares to 4 slam winners Mandilikova, Sanchez Vicario, and Sharapova in terms of caliber of player. Obviously she is much less great as she achieved far less but was she generally as "good" or better a player as those. I always thought 1 slam did not accurately reflect her ability as a player. She is by far the best 1 slam winner in history, with Novotna and Martinez being a distant but clear 2nd and 3rd best.
dwyerfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #37
country flag dwyerfan

dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light dwyerfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat75 View Post

The pic of Gaby and bikes
She looks so pretty. I hope I look anything like that in my 40s.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #38
country flag dwyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn View Post
Why did Gaby draw Steffi in her QF bracket at the Toray Pan Pacific in 1991? Graf was the highest ranked player in the draw, so for Sabatini to draw her in the quarters, Gaby would have to have been seeded no higher than fifth.

So what was Gaby's ranking when the Toray draw was made? Graf was still #1 followed by Seles and Navratilova. Who then was ranked fourth? It can't have been ASV, so I'm guessing it was MJF? Even so, shouldn't Gab have at least been the fourth seed? Or did Seles commit to playing and then pull out after the draw?
I think Fernandez was ranked 4th at that time. She had ended 1990 as year end #4 and started 1990 with a good Australian Open (semis, losing after having match point vs Seles there).
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #39
country flag dwyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
MJF was seeded fourth at Tokyo, even though I think she was ranked fifth -- a case of draw being made before the post-AO rankings came out and her finalist points coming off. Seles pulled out after the tournament started, so there was no promotion of seeds. Kind of a strange bit of circumstance for Gaby. (Slightly related, I read that the Pan Pacific is in a precarious situation right now.)
Graf thought of retiring after that loss. It was her 2nd straight loss in a quarterfinal after losing to Novotna in the Australina Open quarters. For Graf the thought about quarterfinal defeats becoming the norm would be too much to ever bear, but as it turned out it was a brief thing.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #40
country flag dwyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
Just wanted to share.
Wow that is amazing That must have been so exciting for you. Have you ever met Gabriela in person?

Did you have to ask for special permission to play on that court, or as a main tennis club member is it always available to you.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #41
country flag nat75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyerfan View Post
I was curious to those in this thread how do you think Sabatini compares to 4 slam winners Mandilikova, Sanchez Vicario, and Sharapova in terms of caliber of player. Obviously she is much less great as she achieved far less but was she generally as "good" or better a player as those. I always thought 1 slam did not accurately reflect her ability as a player. She is by far the best 1 slam winner in history, with Novotna and Martinez being a distant but clear 2nd and 3rd best.
I think Gaby's grand slam history would have been so different if she just had won Wimbledon. She gained so much confidence after her US OPEN win that she probably would have won 2 o 3 more slams but she lost the momentum after losing that final. That being said, I think she would have done better in any other era.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #42

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyerfan View Post
Wow that is amazing That must have been so exciting for you. Have you ever met Gabriela in person?

Did you have to ask for special permission to play on that court, or as a main tennis club member is it always available to you.
Thanx for your nice comments, Isa, Nat and Dwyerfan!
Yeah, I've seen Gabriela twice, for the 1995 Fed Cup rubber I mentioned, I never really told that whole story come to think of it, and when she visited again that tennis club in 2006, all the details are in the first part of this thread, pages 44-45 IIRC.
You don't need anything special to play there, it's just a tennis court and happened to be in the best place when temporary facilities were set for the public attending that Fed Cup rubber back in 1995. It's thrilling for me when I happen to play there anyway!
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #43

About Sabatini compared to the 4-Slam winners mentioned before, I think that of course she has a less storied career as a result of her peaking alongside with... Graf nonetheless. How would anyone compare to probably the best or second best ever? And she also peaked with Monica Seles, who was on her way to be one of the very best ever too, and Gabriela also had to deal with the last part of Navratilova's Golden Run, and Martina remained an incredible player well into the nineties, and also the last years of the improved version of Chris Evert. I can only say that Gabriela won a Slam, a silver medal, 2 Masters and several Tier Is, and got 10 wins over a reigning Nº1 player in THAT era, when you could get Novotna, Pierce, Sukova or Davenport in the round of 16 of any given Grand Slam, MJ Fernández, Martínez, Capriati or ASV for quarters, and Evert, Navratilva, Graf or Seles for the semifinals, and any of them (again!) for the finals. So, would you have María Sharapova winning a French, even reaching a final back then? Even Arantxa, who got her own Slam and some other important wins in that time, got it easier in her peak year in 1994, with only an injured Graf remaining of the big guns of late 80s - early 90s in the field (Seles stabbed!, Evert retired, Navratilova was aging and Sabatini was in a big slump). Even Capriati was not in a high level anymore.
But as a tennis player, I do think that Sabatini in her peak was better than Sharapova and ASV, and also than other multiple Slam winners Capriati, Davenport and Pierce. I'm not that sure about Mandlikova, I think they're pretty equal as in their peaks they were both true rivals to the very best (I mean by that Evert, Navratilova, Graf and Seles) even when these were in a good day. I believe it would depend on the surface, with Mandlikova having maybe a slight edge on faster courts, but then Gabriela was so good on indoor courts, beating everybody there but Seles (but Monica needed five sets in 1990 YEC...), and Sabatini having the advantage on clay, but then Hana won the French and had big wins on that surface too, so it's hard to say. Interesting anyway.
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #44

Finally! A long interview of Gabriela was published today by La Nación, one of the biggest newspaper in the country. Really interesting, as Gabriela looks and appears relaxed and in harmony, and she talks about a lot of different topics: tennis, current tennis, Federer, Argentina, the pressure, fame, life. I'll try to translate to English in the weekeng, in case anyone cares. Here are the links. Ah, she looks beautiful as ever: she is in bloom!

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1...-cuando-jugaba

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1...ro-ni-las-miro
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1...tenis-femenino
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #45

Here are the pics from the interview

[IMG][/IMG]